Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Incognito?

Quote:1)  That old school nastiness leads to 15 yard penalties, often at the worst possible times.  Do you see that as a problem?

2)  In case you don't get the news, that mentality has fallen from favor with sponsors, the league and owners (in that order because money directs the game).

3)  This team is desperate for leadership, but not that kind.

No, I don't see that as a problem because he knows this would be his last chance in the NFL.   Because he's signing mid season he is on a week to week contract.  One step out of line and adios.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Didn't realize it was a problem?  Now that's funny.  Let's look back on his career.

Nebraska  2002  Ejected from a game for starting a fight.

2003  Started a fight in practice, suspended by coach and ordered to go to anger management therapy

2004  Got into a fight at a party, charged, plead guilty to assualt.

Got into a locker room fight, kicked off the team.

Oregon     2004  Kicked off team for failure to attend anger management therapy

Redskins  2008  Fined for verbally abusing a game official

Rams       2009 Benched for headbutting opposing player (twice), waived two days later.

Dolphins   2012  Got drunk, harassed female worker at a country club, settled out of court.

All this before the Martin incident.  Is this the guy you want to bring into the locker room?

None of those involved verbal interactions that upset another player. He probably acted the same way with a lot of players before Martin without a problem. So yes, I think it's possible that he didn't realize what he was doing was wrong when he bullied Martin.

As far as your list, most of those are from college.

Since he was drafted in 2005, he has called an official a bad name (big whoop), headbutted a player (bad), and upset poor little Jonathan Martin (a problem). He also had a female accuse him of harassment and settled out of court (we don't know all the facts here, so make of it what you will). That's four incidents in 8 years, only one of which affected a teammate, and it was a teammate who was exceptionally sensitive. The whole 'cancer in the locker room' thing is a huge exaggeration.

Apparently you'd rather have Henne start the next six games rather than take a risk on a former Pro Bowl guard?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:No, I don't see that as a problem because he knows this would be his last chance in the NFL. Because he's signing mid season he is on a week to week contract. One step out of line and adios.

There really is no risk. He won't get a big contract and if he acts up then cut him. Simple stuff.

Too bad, they have names on the back of jerseys. If they didn't, with pads, helmets,etc, he can be brought in by being incognito.
Blakes Life Matters

Ok. Shoot me
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:No, I don't see that as a problem because he knows this would be his last chance in the NFL.   

Quote: 

The whole 'cancer in the locker room' thing is a huge exaggeration.

Apparently you'd rather have Henne start the next six games rather than take a risk on a former Pro Bowl guard?
31 other teams in the league and nobody has even brought him in for a workout, doesn't that suggest anything to you?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Too bad, they have names on the back of jerseys. If they didn't, with pads, helmets,etc, he can be brought in by being incognito.
LOL  Not bad.

Quote:No, I don't see that as a problem because he knows this would be his last chance in the NFL.   Because he's signing mid season he is on a week to week contract.  One step out of line and adios.

I guess my question is how much is that "one step out of line" going to cost the team? Look at all of the fallout from the Peterson case and the sponsors lost. If Incognito steps out of line and it results in a loss of sponsorship dollars, it's not like it's a painless situation.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:None of those involved verbal interactions that upset another player. He probably acted the same way with a lot of players before Martin without a problem. So yes, I think it's possible that he didn't realize what he was doing was wrong when he bullied Martin.

As far as your list, most of those are from college.

Since he was drafted in 2005, he has called an official a bad name (big whoop), headbutted a player (bad), and upset poor little Jonathan Martin (a problem). He also had a female accuse him of harassment and settled out of court (we don't know all the facts here, so make of it what you will). That's four incidents in 8 years, only one of which affected a teammate, and it was a teammate who was exceptionally sensitive. The whole 'cancer in the locker room' thing is a huge exaggeration.

4 incidents is not big deal? I would lose my job should my employer find out about one of those (related similarly obviously) and should future employers call them I would never be hired again. Then again, my employer is not in the market of getting wins. 

Quote:I guess my question is how much is that "one step out of line" going to cost the team? Look at all of the fallout from the Peterson case and the sponsors lost. If Incognito steps out of line and it results in a loss of sponsorship dollars, it's not like it's a painless situation.
Not to mention another disruption/replacement on the O line.  But you're wasting your time; they can't think one step ahead.

Quote:Not to mention another disruption/replacement on the O line.  But you're wasting your time; they can't think one step ahead.

Better than some who can only think one step behind.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 07:49 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:31 other teams in the league and nobody has even brought him in for a workout, doesn't that suggest anything to you?

Did 31 other teams give up 10 sacks in one game and have 89 rushing yards in two games for an average of 2.5 yards per carry?

Quote:Not to mention another disruption/replacement on the O line. But you're wasting your time; they can't think one step ahead.

We just had disruption to the oline this week due to poor play.

Quote:31 other teams in the league and nobody has even brought him in for a workout, doesn't that suggest anything to you?

Thank you for misrepresenting what I said and deleting the pieces that argue against your case.

Again, I would think at this point he's learned a valuable lesson and he would fall in line. Follow him closely and watch what he does on and off the field. One blow up in practice, team meeting, at home....see ya later.

After all these incidents and the leagues new PR nightmare, nobody will sign him.....and our line will continue to suck. I'm as much against jerks in the NFL, but I think at times fans become too worried with having good guys...and not about winning. Especially with Incognito, he's a jerk and said some stupid stuff, but I think he really thought he and Jonathan Martin were friends.

Quote:I guess my question is how much is that "one step out of line" going to cost the team? Look at all of the fallout from the Peterson case and the sponsors lost. If Incognito steps out of line and it results in a loss of sponsorship dollars, it's not like it's a painless situation.

Nonetheless, the Ravens won after the Ray Rice blowout, in a short week no less. Incognito could certainly be suspended again, but it would hurt the team far less than starting the linemen we have now all season.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Did 31 other teams give up 10 sacks in one game and have 89 rushing yards in two games for an average of 2.5 yards per carry?

With carries by Henne padding the average.

Quote:4 incidents is not big deal? I would lose my job should my employer find out about one of those (related similarly obviously) and should future employers call them I would never be hired again. Then again, my employer is not in the market of getting wins. 

One of the incidents, yelling at a ref, is NOT a big deal. That leaves three, one of which is questionable since the facts were buried in the settlement.

Most employers would fire an employee for a single positive drug test. That's not the NFL.

Quote:One of the incidents, yelling at a ref, is NOT a big deal. That leaves three, one of which is questionable since the facts were buried in the settlement.

Most employers would fire an employee for a single positive drug test. That's not the NFL.
Right because the NFL is in the business of getting wins. Bring in anyone that can help regardless of how scummy those people are. While you are at it, pay them ridiculous sums of money because they might plug that hole and get you a few more wins.

2 instances is ok... A third is moot because "we don't know".  How many more incidents would you deem as unacceptable?

Quote:Right because the NFL is in the business of getting wins. Bring in anyone that can help regardless of how scummy those people are. While you are at it, pay them ridiculous sums of money because they might plug that hole and get you a few more wins.

2 instances is ok... A third is moot because "we don't know".  How many more incidents would you deem as unacceptable?

The NFL is what it is.
 In totality this is still far less than what Vick or Roethlisberger did, for just two examples. Incognito payed the NFL's chosen penalty for what he did to Martin, as well as the other incidents. None of the things he did were repeat offenses (2nd time same thing), so it at least appears he might learn from his mistakes. And he would be pretty cheap at this point, with the ability to cut him with no further salary if he messed up again.

Quote: 

Thank you for misrepresenting what I said and deleting the pieces that argue against your case.

Again, I would think at this point he's learned a valuable lesson and he would fall in line. Follow him closely and watch what he does on and off the field. One blow up in practice, team meeting, at home....see ya later.

After all these incidents and the leagues new PR nightmare, nobody will sign him.....and our line will continue to suck. I'm as much against jerks in the NFL, but I think at times fans become too worried with having good guys...and not about winning. Especially with Incognito, he's a jerk and said some stupid stuff, but I think he really thought he and Jonathan Martin were friends.
Sorry for the deletions, next time I'll leave all of your redundancies intact.

"Follow him closely...."  So, you're suggesting we appoint a full-time babysitter?

"After all these incidents and the leagues new PR nightmare, nobody will sign him..."  Your own words and still the light bulb hasn't come on?