Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ramsey has been the best CB in the NFL this past month...

Quote:Unfortunately it's not really the same because the point of my argument is Blake was being propped up by the counting stats when the underlying rate stats that show a much better story is what people should have been paying attention to.

Passer rating is obviously a rate stat.

Which is why volume is necessary. So provide the volume numbers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not going to go back and review every game individually again, but as I have said many times I provided the tool that shows you don't get over a 100 passer rating against simply by allowing a lot of short underneath routes at a high %.

We know it's 60% average so let's just keep it simple and say he gave up 3 receptions on 5 targets every game. If that were the case 60 yards per game at an NFL leading 20 ypc (Hogan leads the NFL at 19.2) would get to just barely below Ramsey's 102.4 passer rating. Obviously he wasn't giving up plays like that so maybe it was something like ~35 yards per game and a TD allowed every other game. That averages out to the right passer rating too, but a very high TD rate. And unfortunately the one long busted coverage on Hilton that may or may not have been his fault doesn't skew the total passer rating that much by itself. 

Rather than making all of this up, why not just provide the ACTUAL volume numbers?

Quote:Which is why volume is necessary. So provide the volume numbers.
Holy hell I said I don't have them numerous times. Numbers for cornerbacks aren't readily available, at least not for free. Can you stop repeating yourself and read my responses please.

I did also show that it's not easy to BS over a 100+ passer rating, so it's not just a couple high % underneath routes per game that is giving us false numbers. 

Quote:Holy hell I said I don't have them numerous times. Numbers for cornerbacks aren't readily available, at least not for free. Can you stop repeating yourself and read my responses please.

I did also show that it's not easy to [BAD WORD REMOVED] over a 100+ passer rating, so it's not just a couple high % underneath routes per game that is giving us false numbers. 
Just go back to FF and never come back. Jdub > you (as a person and poster).

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2016, 03:44 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Holy hell I said I don't have them numerous times. Numbers for cornerbacks aren't readily available, at least not for free. Can you stop repeating yourself and read my responses please.

I did also show that it's not easy to [BAD WORD REMOVED] over a 100+ passer rating, so it's not just a couple high % underneath routes per game that is giving us false numbers. 

Without volume numbers, rate numbers don't tell a full story. Honest question: Have you taken a statistics class?

Look guys, your beef isn't with me. I am just providing the stat. If what all of you all are saying about Ramsey is true then the stat wouldn't be what the stat is. But it is. 

Another question:

A CB could do his job 99 times out of 100 so well that the QB can't even throw his way... yet Passer Rating Against would give ZERO credit to those 99 plays, correct?

Quote:Look guys, your beef isn't with me. I am just providing the stat. If what all of you all are saying about Ramsey is true then the stat wouldn't be what the stat is. But it is. 

Translation: "No, I have not taken a statistics class but I'm trying really hard to grasp things!"

I was anti Ramsey before the draft. I thought he had no position, even though I thought he was a better corner than safety, and I thought he was too much of a launcher in run support.

I was completely wrong. He has been elite all season minus one half against Alshon Jeffrey, and even then two of Alshon's catches were blatant offensive PI.

He has shut down every team's number one receiver this season and he's gone against some good ones.

Quote:Without volume numbers, rate numbers don't tell a full story. Honest question: Have you taken a statistics class?
http://www.primecomputing.com/

Yes I have. I showed you a tool where you put in one rate and two volume numbers to come out with another rate. Show me how you can add those two low volume numbers to come out with a 102.4 passer rating at right around 60% completions. You just can't. 

We're all just repeating the same stuff so I am done here since there isn't really anything new to discuss. The good news is that I said while not playing well early in the year he was showing the tools that screamed he would turn into the guy he had the potential to be, and he is showing that potential even earlier than expected. That's all that matters. Have fun with the rest of the thread guys. 

He did play well early in the season. Outside of 2 quarters against Jefferey and a shotty Sammy Watkins play Ramsey has been damn near elite all year.

Quote:http://www.primecomputing.com/

Yes I have. I showed you a tool where you put in one rate and two volume numbers to come out with another rate. Show me how you can add those two low volume numbers to come out with a 102.4 passer rating at right around 60% completions. You just can't. 

You should ask your professor for a refund.

Actual numbers > guessing numbers.

Quote:We're all just repeating the same stuff so I am done here since there isn't really anything new to discuss. The good news is that I said while not playing well early in the year he was showing the tools that screamed he would turn into the guy he had the potential to be, and he is showing that potential even earlier than expected. That's all that matters. Have fun with the rest of the thread guys. 

No, you have ignored this point twice. I wouldn't have to repeat it for a 3rd time if you acknowledged it:

A CB could do his job 99 times out of 100 so well that the QB can't even throw his way... yet Passer Rating Against would give ZERO credit to those 99 plays, correct?

lol people make themselves look like idiots when they try to over complicate the game of football. Stats from the previous two weeks don't even begin to paint the picture of how well Jalen has played.

QB rating with ~60%... dude give me a break, watch the friggin game. Regardless of our record, NO ONE wants to throw at him right now. If there wasn't only a game left in the season, any opponents offensive scheme would be based on combating Jalen Ramsey.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2016, 04:12 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Week 1 through Week 8

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...b-rankings

This season, the Jags CB has allowed 22 receptions on 31 targets (71 percent) for 301 yards (13.7 yards per catch) and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 1:0. Ramsey has covered the opponent's best receiver for the majority of pass plays three times this season -- Indianapolis' T.Y. Hilton in Week 4, Chicago's Alshon Jeffery in Week 6 and Oakland's Amari Cooper in Week 7. Ramsey gave up three catches for 11 yards on four targets to Hilton, five receptions for 84 yards on 10 targets to Jeffery, and one catch for 4 yards on one target to Cooper. He didn't allow any of them to get in the end zone.

The physical Ramsey, who has just one pass defensed this season, is at his best when he's up on the line. He does a good job at getting his hands on the receiver and disrupting timing between the quarterback and his target. Ramsey can play in the slot or outside, but I think he's is better suited for playing on the perimeter, as he can play with anybody near the sideline. In the second half of the season, I want to see his off-coverage play improve -- and it should, with more reps.

7 games

22 receptions

301 yards

1 TD

An average of 3 catches and 43 yards per game in weeks 1 through 8.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Despite giving up only 3 catches, 43 yards, and 0.14 TDs per game in weeks 1 through 8 (which is solid)

Passer Rating Against: 112.4

Completion % allowed: 71.0%

Which is exactly why Passer Rating Against can be misleading.

Quote: 

Why waste your time with these pesky details when he clearly is defined by that 71 percent?!   

Quote:Week 1 through Week 8

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732885/article/jalen-ramsey-has-solid-start-norman-drops-in-cb-rankings'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732885/article/jalen-ramsey-has-solid-start-norman-drops-in-cb-rankings</a>

This season, the Jags CB has allowed 22 receptions on 31 targets (71 percent) for 301 yards (13.7 yards per catch) and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 1:0. Ramsey has covered the opponent's best receiver for the majority of pass plays three times this season -- Indianapolis' <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/t.y.hilton/2532865/profile'>T.Y. Hilton</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016100200/2016/REG4/colts@jaguars'>in Week 4</a>, Chicago's <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/alshonjeffery/2533039/profile'>Alshon Jeffery</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016101601/2016/REG6/jaguars@bears'>in Week 6</a> and Oakland's <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/amaricooper/2552487/profile'>Amari Cooper</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016102303/2016/REG7/raiders@jaguars'>in Week 7</a>. Ramsey gave up three catches for 11 yards on four targets to Hilton, five receptions for 84 yards on 10 targets to Jeffery, and one catch for 4 yards on one target to Cooper. He didn't allow any of them to get in the end zone.

The physical Ramsey, who has just one pass defensed this season, is at his best when he's up on the line. He does a good job at getting his hands on the receiver and disrupting timing between the quarterback and his target. Ramsey can play in the slot or outside, but I think he's is better suited for playing on the perimeter, as he can play with anybody near the sideline. In the second half of the season, I want to see his off-coverage play improve -- and it should, with more reps.

7 games

22 receptions

301 yards

1 TD

Below. Average.

FURTHER....

Ramsey's Passer Rating Against and Completion % both went down from after Week 8 to after Week 10.

Meaning Ramsey was statistically better in weeks 1 through 10 than he was in weeks 1 through 8 (when he gave up an average of 3 catches for 43 yards and .14 TD). :whistling: