Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Manziel

Quote:How might his unwillingness to learn the playbook have manifest itself?

Partying, maybe?

I don't suggest his off field stuff is the ONLY reason he lasted as long as he did, or even the MAIN one, but I believe it to have been a factor.

I'm not saying it didn't factor in... there might have been a few GM's that felt that way but I think the majority had to do with his style of play and height... Wilson is small but he can and will stay in the pocket before he takes off... he showed he could do that at two different colleges... on the other hand, Johnny has showed he's at best a two read QB who will run before he looks for his 3rd-4th option... can he change or can he be taught to stay/slide in the pocket... no one knows for sure and that's why most GM's passed on him...

[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:How might his unwillingness to learn the playbook have manifest itself?

Partying, maybe?

I don't suggest his off field stuff is the ONLY reason he lasted as long as he did, or even the MAIN one, but I believe it to have been a factor.

Possibly. 

It could also have been the result of no coach ever trying to put him into a more structured environment like you'd expect to see in the NFL.  If he wasn't pushed to work off a playbook in HS or college, and encouraged to improvise, that's a habit he'll have to shed at this level. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Tim Tebow also won the Heisman.

And Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, and Chris Weinke.

It's fine to go out and party. But you also have to show dedication to your work. How often do you see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning out there partying like it's 1999? How many of them had owners tell them to act like a backup?

Truth is, Manziel may have won a Heisman. But he's done zero on the field in the NFL so far. And he's shown no dedication to perfecting his art. The Jags were smart to avoid him. I don't think he'll be good in the NFL. Not because he parties too much. But because his talent will only get him so far, and that talent is about to meet up with more talent that is stronger and faster. He's going to find that he can't do in the NFL what he did in college.

How do you know he isn't working hard on his craft? From what I heard he is.

Quote:My point is that something doesn't happen or not happen if there is a picture of it or not. We don't really know these players. We only know whatever persona they decide to make public. Just doesn't interest me to sort out what is real and what is somebody "saying the right things.". If this picture didn't get taken, is anybody better off? He still did it. Plus, playing football and getting drunk on inflatable swans aren't mutually exclusive. So it doesn't matter to me.

I understand people want guys to be role models and all that. But I was never a fan of the whole "face of the franchise" thing if it means putting on a completely different face.

The point I think Bull is making is that the great NFL qbs aren't doing this. Brady, Manning and Rodgers arent embarrassing their teams. They are leading their teams and setting the example for others to follow.

Who is the last QB with the reputation as a partyr to get drafted into the league? Wasn't Matt Leinert a bit of a party boy before and after he got drafted into the NFL? How's he doing right now?

Also, didn't Mark Sanchez have a bit of a partyr reputation, although maybe not as much as Johnny Swan, but still had one. How's he doing right now??

Can anyone think of any other QB who came into the NFL with a party boy reputation??

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Who is the last QB with the reputation as a partyr to get drafted into the league? Wasn't Matt Leinert a bit of a party boy before and after he got drafted into the NFL? How's he doing right now?

Also, didn't Mark Sanchez have a bit of a partyr reputation, although maybe not as much as Johnny Swan, but still had one. How's he doing right now??

Can anyone think of any other QB who came into the NFL with a party boy reputation??
I don't know about a party boy rep before they came into the league, but I know once they got into the league, Big Ben and Vince Young became known as partiers.  I also heard Namath, Stabler and Don Meredith were partiers, too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Who is the last QB with the reputation as a partyr to get drafted into the league? Wasn't Matt Leinert a bit of a party boy before and after he got drafted into the NFL? How's he doing right now?

Bear Bryant benched Joe Namath, in 1963, the final regular season game against Miami and the for the Sugar Bowl for breaking curfew... Namath was out parting... as Bullseye pointed out both Stabler and Meredith had that kind of rep in college...

[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
;

Quote:Bear Bryant benched Joe Namath, in 1963, the final regular season game against Miami and the for the Sugar Bowl for breaking curfew... Namath was out parting... as Bullseye pointed out both Stabler and Meredith had that kind of rep in college...

Namath, Stabler, and Meredith were legendary in their partying prowess.  Jim McMahon is another guy who was a party animal in his day.  So were Billy Kilmer and Sonny Jurgenson. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Namath, Stabler, and Meredith were legendary in their partying prowess. Jim McMahon is another guy who was a party animal in his day. So were Billy Kilmer and Sonny Jurgenson.
And Todd Marinovich.

Oops. Never mind.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Namath, Stabler, and Meredith were legendary in their partying prowess.  Jim McMahon is another guy who was a party animal in his day.  So were Billy Kilmer and Sonny Jurgenson. 

....as was most of the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys. 

Its fine (especially amongst proven vets) as long as you win.  

I think the Manziel case is different right now because the partyr rep was something he was trying to shed (when it benefited him to try and do so). So he and his agent lied & deceived - or tried to, anyway. 

He wound up getting drafted in the first round. (Lower than where he liked, but first round anyway). Now that the draft is over though, you can see that it pretty much was all a rouse. Johnny's still the same Johnny....

He better play well, quickly...

Manziel has an uphill battle already.  His style of play and his size are not going to be assets at the next level.  If he succeeds, he can party his liver off.  If he doesn't, he's just another frat boy bust in the NFL.

He's working on his craft.......beer.
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 04:35 PM by shag52.)

Quote:Manziel has an uphill battle already.  His style of play and his size are not going to be assets at the next level.  If he succeeds, he can party his liver off.  If he doesn't, he's just another frat boy bust in the NFL.

Plus I think his arm strength is marginal at best... I've read he can make all the throws but his long ball has a lot of air under it... that gives a DB more time to close on the ball... his deep out passes seem to take a little longer than the other top QB's in this years draft... but that's me and what I see... only time will tell if he can or can not make it... but I do think he has an uphill battle and I don't think his parting has anything to do with it...

;
;

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM by Predator.)

I think this is being a bit overblown.

I don't think anyone has to professionally "earn" the right for a night out during their time off. That's being a bit ridiculous.

If this were week 5, then that would be another thing.

With BB, Johnny Swan, TB and a few other late selected QB's this is going to be a fun preseason to watch.

I wonder which of the QB's will actually start a regular season game first? Will it be on merit or b/c of an injury to the starting QB? Maybe just a change is needed. Who knows?

Who will it be?

Stay tuned...........................

Quote:He's working on his craft.......beer.
What I see its been wine. He needs to move to scotch Smile

I think he has franchise qb talent like most guys drafted in the first round but I'm more concerned about his lack of wherewithal to lay low considering all the concerns about his partying

I cant wait in like two years when the ownership is like, sooo why did we draft this guy, and the GM and HC look at the owner and say, BECAUSE U CHANGED THE CARD!

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:I cant wait in like two years when the ownership is like, sooo why did we draft this guy, and the GM and HC look at the owner and say, BECAUSE U CHANGED THE CARD!

I thought it was because some homeless guy said to take Johnny Swan.

Ballin!