Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talk about the Season Opener

The best game Tom Savage has ever had came against us last year in 2016. He had a respectable completion percentage and he hit a few big plays down the field. While he didn't score any TD's he at least didn't cost them the game. Which is certainly the direction they were going last year against us earlier on with Osweiler playing.

I expect more or the same out of Savage against this defense this weekend. I don't overrate nor underrate him as a QB. I think he's a little bit better than people care to admit. And the Watson selection is a major insurance policy for Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith who both could honestly be out of a job this year if McNair decides it's time to move on.

This game comes down to our offensive line against their front seven just like Bullseye has already pointed out. And for that reason alone I have little to no faith in this contest for us to win. I see us losing by a good six points to be fair.

Jaguars - 14
tinhorns - 20
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

tinhorns 48 Jags 17

2 pick 6s for Bortles
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Can we at least have hope until halftime this year? I thinkl it's a huge deal that Duane Brown looks to be serious about not playing until Week 9. I think our offense is lightyears ahead of Houston's in talent, and our Defense is only a little behind theirs. A big play on either side could easily decide this game. It's by no means going to be a blowout. Houston can't score enough to blow anyone out.

Texans 24

Jaguars 17

J J Watt will have Bortles screaming like a scared girl by the second quarter.

houston wins if they force turnovers.. considering our QB, I expect them to win

It will be close as houston is not good enough offensively to blow us out considering the defense we expect to have

It will take a 0 turnover game from our offense to win this game

I'm very curious to see what Hackett has scripted in the first quarter to spark a struggling run-game.
If he can find a way to milk 4 YPC on the ground out of that O-Line, then he can mitigate Bortles mistakes and give them a chance to compete for the victory.

To me - It comes down to Bortles protecting the ball, the O-Line opening a few lanes, and Hackett using some smoke and mirrors to get playmakers the ball in space. It's a tall order given the apparent state of our offense, but it's not inconceivable.

(09-05-2017, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm very curious to see what Hackett has scripted in the first quarter to spark a struggling run-game.
If he can find a way to milk 4 YPC on the ground out of that O-Line, then he can mitigate Bortles mistakes and give them a chance to compete for the victory.

To me - It comes down to Bortles protecting the ball, the O-Line opening a few lanes, and Hackett using some smoke and mirrors to get playmakers the ball in space. It's a tall order given the apparent state of our offense, but it's not inconceivable.

Agreed. Anything is possible. Hopefully this coaching staff can work some magic and tailor up the play calls to their strengths.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We don't have chance this game. It's their season opener, they are riding high of the hurricane... and to top it all off they declared battle red, BATTLE RED!

Anytime Texans declare battle red, it automatic win for them.

JK, Texans are trash. Our O-Line will dictate this game. If they don't establish run game early and put Blake in 3rd and long situations we might as well pack up in half time and go home. Texans offense is just pure garbage but I suspect Savage to look like next Tom Brady against us as it's a typical case with us because we always play down to our competition. If we can run the ball fairly decent and give Blake manageable situations this should be a win for us. But to be realistic this is Jaguars after all and we are playing Texans, so you can mark this down as a guaranteed loss. Still doesn't change the fact that Texans are garbage.
[Image: giphy.gif]

KingJones, never to gain a roster spot. Practice Squad, ceiling.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(09-05-2017, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm very curious to see what Hackett has scripted in the first quarter to spark a struggling run-game.

This is my hope and worry. Fournette has the surprise value at the moment and the Texans won't have been able to study him much bar college tape. If we can have some plays and ideas that we have ALREADY practiced and honned then we can hopefully keep the Texans guessing and off balance and play a bit more coverage than blitzing. That opens up the running and passing.... 

My worry is that we'll either play cautious and just keep smashing Fournette into that front 7 taking 2 yards and just hope he'll break one and meaning we face constant pressure on Blake. And by playing cautious we just hope the D will keep them out.

I've been really unhappy with a lot of our playcalling for some time now. I just want to see some intelligence, actual adjustments, and being aggressive, not just sending 5, I mean smart calls in the right situations. I'm just not sold on Hackett or Wash yet sadly.

With Bortles at QB, we are everybody's home-coming.

Jags -13
Texans - 31

Bortles at halftime. .....5 for 13 with 63 yards passing. 1 pick 6. Ends game with 335 yards

Fanatic, do you somehow wish this was the case, hope it is to show your clairvoyance, or just really an empty bucket clattering without basis?

You know it's a new day, right? Hope is allowed, even if blindly. It truly helps outlook. How do you think the oppressed keep 'swagging'? To the bemusement and backlash of those on the other side...

Mind me, carry on.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(09-06-2017, 06:49 AM)BritJag Wrote: Fanatic, do you somehow wish this was the case, hope it is to show your clairvoyance, or just really an empty bucket clattering without basis?

You know it's a new day, right? Hope is allowed, even if blindly. It truly helps outlook. How do you think the oppressed keep 'swagging'? To the bemusement and backlash of those on the other side...

Mind me, carry on.

Unfortunately, to expect him to approach this with an open mind like yourself is asking alot from him at this point. My question for him is why come on here if he has so much negativity towards him and the team because i'm sure there are other things he can do with his precious time.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-06-2017, 07:22 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 06:49 AM)BritJag Wrote: Fanatic, do you somehow wish this was the case, hope it is to show your clairvoyance, or just really an empty bucket clattering without basis?

Mind me, carry on.

Unfortunately, to expect him to approach this with an open mind like yourself is asking alot from him at this point. My question for him is why come on here if he has so much negativity towards him and the team because i'm sure there are other things he can do with his precious time.
Very simple , he is what is known as a internet troll. I'm pretty old and this is really the extent of my internet interaction with other people so this is a relatively new phenomenon for me to witness. I must say it is rather pathetic IMO but to each their own. I bet it storms a lot over the top of him. Laughing

BB5 will out shine the savage week one and the Jags will be victorious. Banana
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-05-2017, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

This is my hope and worry. Fournette has the surprise value at the moment and the Texans won't have been able to study him much bar college tape. If we can have some plays and ideas that we have ALREADY practiced and honned then we can hopefully keep the Texans guessing and off balance and play a bit more coverage than blitzing. That opens up the running and passing.... 

My worry is that we'll either play cautious and just keep smashing Fournette into that front 7 taking 2 yards and just hope he'll break one and meaning we face constant pressure on Blake. And by playing cautious we just hope the D will keep them out.

I've been really unhappy with a lot of our playcalling for some time now. I just want to see some intelligence, actual adjustments, and being aggressive, not just sending 5, I mean smart calls in the right situations. I'm just not sold on Hackett or Wash yet sadly.

What is the time frame for your play calling dissatisfaction?

I would think the play calling the last two weeks of last year would have satisfied more Jaguars fans.

Preseason?  Typically vanilla.  I guess I shouldn't expect overreaction to that, but fans will be fans.

But I would think the play calling of the last two games last year would be a source of hope.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-05-2017, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

We haven't seen either of these coordinators work from their new playbooks under Marrone. 

There is literally nothing to judge yet. Preseason is not going to tell you anything and they worked from different playbooks last year. 

It's going to be different. 

Will they run on first down more than you want?  Probably.  Will Wash occasionally back off his secondary and give up a first down? Probably.  But I really don't think it's going to look like 2016.  

Marrone seems intent on treating each week differently with his game-plan and he is wise to presenting and exploiting mis-matches.

Seems pretty likely the Texans starting LT Duane Brown will be out. I think we kind of expected it, but it's great to see it becoming more and more of a reality.

(09-06-2017, 11:30 AM)JNev Wrote: Seems pretty likely the Texans starting LT Duane Brown will be out. I think we kind of expected it, but it's great to see it becoming more and more of a reality.

But can we take advantage of his absence?

I've seen too many times over the years where a unit of an opposing team is depleted, yet the Jaguars were unable to capitalize on it.

A few years back, Seattle's offensive line was decimated by injuries, but we couldn't do anything about it, and they beat us 41-0.

Further back, we lost to Tennessee at home even though their secondary was down to their 7th and 8th guys.

I'd like to think the Texans would miss Brown against us, but I've been disappointed before.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I feel like this is the least amount of excitement amongst the fan base going into a season opener. In past years there was at least some talk about an ascending player. This year, I don't even pick up on much buzz with Fournette or Robinson. No one's raving about Bouye or Campbell since one didn't play at all during the preseason and the other, not much, being a veteran. All of us feel confused and numb with the whole QB situation.