Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talk about the Season Opener

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 11:58 PM by Bullseye.)

http://boards.houstontexans.com/forum/te...le-jaguars

An...interesting... perspective from a Texans fan.

I think he vastly overrates Savage and their WRs vis-a-vis our guys.

The game will boil down to our OL against their front 7.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Classic tinhorn with mush for brains. Doesn't realize his #4 and #5 receivers are starting and he thinks that's stronger than ours... LOL

(09-02-2017, 11:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Well, if that particular statement is the case then the Jags automatically lose. BUT there's a whole lot more game than one particular match-up. I always think the first game of any NFL season comes down to which team makes the least mistakes in terms of penalties and turnovers. My guess is that neither team's offense lights up the field, and it will be the most disciplined team that comes away with a win.

Interesting. If anyone has a worse O-line than us it's the texans. Really, the only thing lopsided in their favor is their D-front. If our D lives up to paper hype, then this game gets interesting. Neither team was impressive during the preseason, so...
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Savage isn't going to beat us but Watt, Clowney and Mercilus are going to eat the oline for lunch. Don't feel good about this one but I think we'll beat the Titans in week 2.

That might be funniest thing I ever read, Bruce Ellington is a [BLEEP] basketball player yeh he is better that our guys, he will get destroyed by Bouye.

(09-03-2017, 12:29 AM)Rooster Wrote: Savage isn't going to beat us but Watt, Clowney and Mercilus are going to eat the oline for lunch.  Don't feel good about this one but I think we'll beat the Titans in week 2.

I feel like we stand a chance vs the Texans if we can somehow hold off their DL... but somehow I get the feeling the Titans are just going to pound us something ugly. They're fielding a really tight offense right now. To beat them we'd need to outscore them, but outscoring them requires taking advantage of their weak secondary. Are we up to that task?
'02

It is going to be a crazy atmosphere there in Houston. We all know the unfortunate event that occurred with the recent hurricane and I feel like the Texans will be playing their hearts out for the city, and the fans will be rocking. That being said, week 1 should always end up being a close game. Team has had all offseason to gameplan. Last season they nearly beat the Packers. We will finally get to see a Marrone, Hackett, and Wash gameplan, which I am intrigued to see. I most definitely expect a run heavy offense, but against that D line combined with the Jags O line it will be very tough to run (or pass for that matter). On defense I am really hoping to see some different looks, especially on 3rd down. Is Wash basically going to run the Bradley defense or will he change it up? Would like to see creative ways to generate pressure to force an errant throw in the hands of the extremely talented Jags secondary. All they really need is some pressure to force a throw, and I feel pretty confident they'll make plays.

Vegas has the Jags as 5.5 dogs and an overall total O/U at 40. I see a 24-20 game, and I hope it has the Jags on top. Go Jags.

We haven't blocked anyone in a decade. Our bad/dumb offensive line will leave us without any rhythm on offense for the game. If we can establish Fournette the game gets interesting.
No pain, no gain.

Bortles is going to get destroyed behind those guards against that D line. The media will be crying for Henne week 2. Bank on it.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 05:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-03-2017, 03:55 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: We haven't blocked anyone in a decade. Our bad/dumb offensive line will leave us without any rhythm on offense for the game. If we can establish Fournette the game gets interesting.

I'll go with that.   I think it's possible to hold off their pass rush by running to the inside of their pass rushers.   

I think this is going to be a contest of running, with passing being a failure for both teams.   We have top notch corners, they have top notch pass rushers, neither team has a great QB, so I think both teams will be trying to establish the run.  So if we can get Fournette going, we can make it interesting. 

Everyone (including me) thinks we're going to suck this year, but if you want reasons for optimism, our preseason opponents were all great teams. I don't think Houston is as good as any of the teams we played in preseason.

It's a weird one.

On one hand , I'm not afraid of that offense at all. Savage may be the best QB they have but he's not good. While our defense has looked a bit dodgy at times we didn't have it all full strength during the preseason. This is likely going to be a 1 score game all the way through, which means...

Winning the turnover battle and having good special teams is crucial. They are always important but in this game it will be key to victory. Can Blake play it safe all game against the best front 7 in football? I don't think so. We won't be able to run the ball consistently against this front , we need to dink and dunk where we can and play field position.

I think it'll be close. Add in the fact that the Houston crowd will be going crazy after the hurricane and you have a very difficult road game. If Blake doesn't turn it over and we score 18+ I think we'll win.

To be fair, I don't really know of any line that can block Watt, Clowney and Mercilus. They've played 2 games together? Texans pass rush was still good last year without the best pass rusher in the league.

Look for a lot of screens, hand offs and slants.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 09:19 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

Does anyone else remember this?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...amsey-cant

If Jalen Ramsey does, DeAndre Hopkins jinxed himself.

(09-03-2017, 04:12 AM)Phaveaseat Wrote: Bortles is going to get destroyed behind those guards against that D line. The media will be crying for Henne week 2. Bank on it.

That's the sad thing about this situation. We friggin know what's coming, and we know theres not much we can do about it. 

They're gonna ruin Fournette this year.

(09-03-2017, 12:17 AM)cland Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 11:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Well, if that particular statement is the case then the Jags automatically lose.  BUT there's a whole lot more game than one particular match-up.  I always think the first game of any NFL season comes down to which team makes the least mistakes in terms of penalties and turnovers.  My guess is that neither team's offense lights up the field, and it will be the most disciplined team that comes away with a win.

Well of COURSE there are other parts of the game that can effect the outcome.

I don't think your receivers stand much chance against our DBs, for instance.

But considering the strongest unit on either team is the Texans DL specifically and the front 7 overall, it is most imperative we block those guys.  Our best chance will be inside, IMO, with Linder vs. Reader, their new NT.  If Linder can get movement against him, perhaps we have the chance to get the running game going.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think we are are getting a little too doom and gloom about that D. They are very blockable and easily get frustrated out of the game if blocked successfully early on. In my opinion, they have been more successful against us without Watt. Anyways, they have had one defensively dominant game against the jags in the last 4-5 years that I can remember, and that was a seasoning ending game with the Joke at LT. I actually think we have the advantage with our secondary, otherwise the two defenses are similarly exploitable. So which QB comes out on top?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I think special teams play will be a big factor in this game again
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Jags easily win this game going away. 42-10, Jags in a season opener blowout!!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I think it's a winnable game. I'm not saying the Jaguars will definitely win, but considering the situation in Houston it's going to be hard for them to prepare like they usually would, plus it could be played at a neutral location. All of that is to the Jaguars advantage. I do believe if the Jaguars don't run the ball well they'll be lucky to score much, but stopping the run has never been the texans greatest strength, they're only around average at it from a statistical point of view, so it's not out of the question if Fournette is actually worthy of his draft position.

All of that being said the Jaguars will need to perform better than in the preseason, because I think that while it's going to be challenging for the texans to prepare the Jaguars aren't a good enough team to take anyone for granted right now.