Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

Bort is toxic to himself. This team has proved it can win without him making constant big throws. He's the only one that can keep himself from working his way off this team.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2017, 10:58 AM by TearExtractor.)

Im very critical of Bortles, but if he can at least keep up this current pace, which is pretty low, I will be happy enough with it. If he can dink a dunk a few passes here and there and just not make the big mistakes then we got a good chance as a team.

(11-03-2017, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote: I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

Let's say the Jags win at least one playoff game (or even make it to the superb owl) -- I really don't think this F.O. is naive enough to just pony up a giant contract for Bortles. 

He'd have to have multiple consecutive games in the regular season into the post-season  that resemble his baltmore/indy performances to cause them to consider such a contract IMO.  Pretty slim chance of that IMO. 

I think they are smarter than that. 

I think the more likely outcome is that they overpay Bortles for his 5th year option and draft a QB they believe in to take the reigns in 2019 - even if they have to trade up to get him.

Exactly the reason they used the option.  Either cut him at the end of the year, or it's another prove it year.  $19mm still isn't much for a qb when looking at others around the league.

(11-03-2017, 10:57 AM)TearExtractor Wrote: Im very critical of Bortles, but if he can at least keep up this current pace, which is pretty low, I will be happy enough with it. If he can dink a dunk a few passes here and there and just not make the big mistakes then we got a good chance as a team.

Against the 8 man fronts we will probably see for the rest of the year, Bortles MUST be able to connect at least 10 yards downfield.  As we saw against the Colts, when there are only 3 defensive backs, those short throws can go for big yardage.  

He HAS to make the defense pay for crowding the line of scrimmage.  Or else we are toast.

(11-03-2017, 11:22 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Let's say the Jags win at least one playoff game (or even make it to the superb owl) -- I really don't think this F.O. is naive enough to just pony up a giant contract for Bortles. 

He'd have to have multiple consecutive games in the regular season into the post-season  that resemble his baltmore/indy performances to cause them to consider such a contract IMO.  Pretty slim chance of that IMO. 

I think they are smarter than that. 

I think the more likely outcome is that they overpay Bortles for his 5th year option and draft a QB they believe in to take the reigns in 2019 - even if they have to trade up to get him.

Exactly the reason they used the option.  Either cut him at the end of the year, or it's another prove it year.  $19mm still isn't much for a qb when looking at others around the league.

I agree with that statement on it's surface, but given our cap situation ( we finally spent money on good FAs) and the players due to be re-signed, that 19$ may lead to a roster loss elsewhere that we'd prefer not to happen. 

It's not a bad problem to have, though. Especially if Bortles actually earns the option on the field this year.

I don’t see him as toxic. Has he underperformed his draft position? Absolutely. But, if he manages to get this team to the Super Bowl, the team will have an interesting decision to make. Right now he’s the weakest link on the offense, so an upgrade would still be in the cards as far as I’m concerned.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(10-31-2017, 08:30 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm just asking because he has improved this year but is the narrative already written perception wise and there's nothing he can do that would be embraced by this fan base?

Narrative?! You're concerned about a media narrative....a fake news media that's never right?! What a sheep.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 10:21 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(10-31-2017, 09:37 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 09:34 PM)Ucf_Jag_1 Wrote: Jaguars are tied for 1st in ACC south, what more do you want moron?

spacecoastjag why are you calling someone a moron when i'm just asking a question about the situation.

There are more than one persons calling you a moron. Believe it

(10-31-2017, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

That's because you know NOTHING about football.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(11-01-2017, 01:52 PM)Inziladun Wrote: I really do think this team is a QB away from the superbowl talks. It's exciting and slightly frustrating. Thankfully our Defense is in place for a couple of years so it's not like we won't have a couple of years to have a go at it. I just hope that next year we make a big playoff push because even if we stumble into the playoffs this year this team hasn't shown enough consistency to make me think we'd get very far. Kirk Cousins would be such a huge lift to this team, that's the guy I hope we get, then draft another QB in the draft and hope we land with him.

LOL the WRs on this team re worse than the QB

(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Trevor Siemian is in the dog house.  He's good enough to lead the Jags to the promise land and he's cheap.

He's the 3rd best QB on his own team. This is how inept Jags fans are.

Its toxic how bortles missed a super wide open marcedes lewis at goalline.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 06:11 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-05-2017, 06:06 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Its toxic how bortles missed a super wide open marcedes lewis at goalline.

You're an idiot if you want to complain about 1 pass the way Bortles has played his last couple of games.

(11-03-2017, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 11:22 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: Exactly the reason they used the option.  Either cut him at the end of the year, or it's another prove it year.  $19mm still isn't much for a qb when looking at others around the league.

I agree with that statement on it's surface, but given our cap situation ( we finally spent money on good FAs) and the players due to be re-signed, that 19$ may lead to a roster loss elsewhere that we'd prefer not to happen. 

It's not a bad problem to have, though. Especially if Bortles actually earns the option on the field this year.
if thats what it takes id prefer it to happen than lose him if he keeps playing this way

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 06:45 PM by jagherd.)

Rex Grossman
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson 

All QBs of teams that had SUPERB Defenses, excellent running games,, and made it to the Superbowl.

Right now, Bortles is playing as well as, and sometimes better than what those QBs did during their Superbowl seasons (meaning playing smart, mistake free games). 

This team is in excellent shape. If Bortles continues to play smart as he has recently, and the defense/running game stay at this level, then yeah; this team is in EXCELLENT SHAPE.

(11-05-2017, 10:25 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 01:52 PM)Inziladun Wrote: I really do think this team is a QB away from the superbowl talks. It's exciting and slightly frustrating. Thankfully our Defense is in place for a couple of years so it's not like we won't have a couple of years to have a go at it. I just hope that next year we make a big playoff push because even if we stumble into the playoffs this year this team hasn't shown enough consistency to make me think we'd get very far. Kirk Cousins would be such a huge lift to this team, that's the guy I hope we get, then draft another QB in the draft and hope we land with him.

LOL the WRs on this team re worse than the QB

(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Trevor Siemian is in the dog house.  He's good enough to lead the Jags to the promise land and he's cheap.

He's the 3rd best QB on his own team. This is how inept Jags fans are.

You're being childish and a jerk and the sad part is I'm a Blake Bortles fan just like you but you want to attack me which is irresponsible or your behalf.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-05-2017, 06:06 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Its toxic how bortles missed a super wide open marcedes lewis at goalline.

It's toxic how Lewis gave up on his route when he thought Bortles was getting sacked.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:17 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

The ball placement is toxic when cole has to make a obj one handed grab

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 03:41 AM by JagFanatic24.)

They are hiding Bortles. Trust me. How far can the mis direction and roll outs take us? His long stuff is non existent.

(11-05-2017, 10:18 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 09:37 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: spacecoastjag why are you calling someone a moron when i'm just asking a question about the situation.

There are more than one persons calling you a moron. Believe it

(10-31-2017, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

Like that time Bortles was gonna play in NY?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM by spacecoastjag.)

(11-03-2017, 12:02 PM)FBT Wrote: I don’t see him as toxic.  Has he underperformed his draft position?  Absolutely. But, if he manages to get this team to the Super Bowl, the team will have an interesting decision to make.  Right now he’s the weakest link on the offense, so an upgrade would still be in the cards as far as I’m concerned.

I don't think he's underperformed his draft position. I want you to compile a list of the last 50 QBs taken in the top 10 and tell me where Bortles is.

(11-06-2017, 03:40 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: They are hiding Bortles. Trust me. How far can the mis direction and roll outs take us? His long stuff is non existent.

They should hide Duval fans. Among the worst in the NFL as far as football knowledge goes.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM by JagsGooner.)

He even said in his press conference that he thought Lewis was going to keep running. Want some fries with all that salt?
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

(11-06-2017, 12:58 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: I don't think he's underperformed his draft position. I want you to compile a list of the last 50 QBs taken in the top 10 and tell me where Bortles is.

Okay, to make it easier for people, here's the list...

Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Sam Bradford
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Michael Vick
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith
Peyton Manning
Ryan Leaf
Steve McNair
Kerry Collins
Heath Shuler
Trent Dilfer
Drew Bledsoe
Rick Mirer
David Klingler
Jeff George
Andre Ware
Troy Aikman
Vinny Testaverde
Kelly Stouffer
Jim Everett
John Elway
Todd Blackledge
Art Schlichter
Jim McMahon
Rich Campbell

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM by spacecoastjag.)

(11-06-2017, 03:40 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: They are hiding Bortles. Trust me. How far can the mis direction and roll outs take us? His long stuff is non existent.

(11-05-2017, 10:18 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: There are more than one persons calling you a moron. Believe it

Like that time Bortles was gonna play in NY?

Yup. That's when the stupidity leadership of Khan kept Gus Bradley one year too long. Now Bortles has George O'Leary's buddies Marrone and Coughlin and both actually know how to coach football. The less Shad Khan touches football wise, the better.

(11-06-2017, 01:24 PM)iapetus Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 12:58 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: I don't think he's underperformed his draft position. I want you to compile a list of the last 50 QBs taken in the top 10 and tell me where Bortles is.

Okay, to make it easier for people, here's the list...

Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Sam Bradford
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Michael Vick
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith
Peyton Manning
Ryan Leaf
Steve McNair
Kerry Collins
Heath Shuler
Trent Dilfer
Drew Bledsoe
Rick Mirer
David Klingler
Jeff George
Andre Ware
Troy Aikman
Vinny Testaverde
Kelly Stouffer
Jim Everett
John Elway
Todd Blackledge
Art Schlichter
Jim McMahon
Rich Campbell

Yup. He's at least half way on that list already at age 25----half way would mean he is not under performing. Like Elway and Aikman sucking before they got real teams....I expect Bortles to take off now.