Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roster Prediction Time

(08-19-2018, 09:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So do you think Moncrief will make the team? lol

I have no idea. Judging strictly by play on the field, I see better WR's on the roster who should make it over him.

I'll go out on a limb and clarify that you mean to say what you've seen after one preseason game (as it is clear you already formed an opinion before this one).

I'll wager you haven't watched more than a practice or 2, and probably only watched TV vantage points.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Smile  (This post was last modified: 08-19-2018, 07:02 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-19-2018, 06:43 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 09:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have no idea. Judging strictly by play on the field, I see better WR's on the roster who should make it over him.

I'll go out on a limb and clarify that you mean to say what you've seen after one preseason game (as it is clear you already formed an opinion before this one).

I'll wager you haven't watched more than a practice or 2, and probably only watched TV vantage points.

I've seen both preseason games and base my opinions off of that. I have not seen any practices, since I live in Ohio and don't have my own private jet to fly down to Jacksonville on a whim. So in that respect, you would be correct.  Smile

(08-19-2018, 07:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 06:43 PM)nate Wrote: I'll go out on a limb and clarify that you mean to say what you've seen after one preseason game (as it is clear you already formed an opinion before this one).

I've seen both preseason games and base my opinions off of that. I have not seen any practices, since I live in Ohio and don't have my own private jet to fly down to Jacksonville on a whim. So in that respect, you would be correct.  Smile

Simple question.  Who should make the roster instead of Moncrief and why?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2018, 07:12 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 07:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've seen both preseason games and base my opinions off of that. I have not seen any practices, since I live in Ohio and don't have my own private jet to fly down to Jacksonville on a whim. So in that respect, you would be correct.  Smile

Simple question.  Who should make the roster instead of Moncrief and why?

Based on consistency in the preseason, the ability to get open and play special teams, the guys I had on my roster prediction.

(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: Simple question.  Who should make the roster instead of Moncrief and why?

Based on consistency in the preseason, the ability to get open and play special teams, the guys I had on my roster prediction.

Sounds like a sig bet should be proposed....
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: Simple question.  Who should make the roster instead of Moncrief and why?

So, in other words, it's just your bias against Moncrief.  Mickens doesn't even have a catch.  Wynn has essentially the same number of catches and yards.  I don't remember anything that either has done that stands out on special teams this preseason.  and you, yourself said that all you've seen is preseason...yet both of them should make the team over Moncrief.  Your bias is obvious.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-19-2018, 07:24 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Based on consistency in the preseason, the ability to get open and play special teams, the guys I had on my roster prediction.

So, in other words, it's just your bias against Moncrief.  Mickens doesn't even have a catch.  Wynn has essentially the same number of catches and yards.  I don't remember anything that either has done that stands out on special teams this preseason.  and you, yourself said that all you've seen is preseason...yet both of them should make the team over Moncrief.  Your bias is obvious.

No. Based on Mickens 2017 performance and his ability to be a good return man, he shows more value IMO. Wynn got wide open in the first preseason game on a couple of plays for big gains. Wide open. I have yet to see Moncrief show that same ability. Yes, they have the same amount of catches, but I need to see Moncrief get separation and I haven't seen that yet. I'm not saying this won't change before the season starts. I've already made a couple of changes on my roster prediction from last week to this week, but I need to see more ability to separate from Moncrief.

Lol this is all a moot point because the Jags gave Moncrief a lot of money. He’s gonna make the team and I can’t believe we are still discussing it.

Moncrief Makin it. Willy Po too.

(08-19-2018, 08:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol this is all a moot point because the Jags gave Moncrief a lot of money. He’s gonna make the team and I can’t believe we are still discussing it.

I know. Moncrief has a lock on this roster spot so it's not even worth the time to discuss.

I see some here are thinking Orndoff might supplant Niles Paul at TE, but given Paul's contract, I don't see that happening either.
'02

(08-19-2018, 11:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 08:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol this is all a moot point because the Jags gave Moncrief a lot of money. He’s gonna make the team and I can’t believe we are still discussing it.

I know. Moncrief has a lock on this roster spot so it's not even worth the time to discuss.

I see some here are thinking Orndoff might supplant Niles Paul at TE, but given Paul's contract, I don't see that happening either.

Using this logic, the Jaguars can't part way with D. J. Hayden, Larentree McCray, Cody Davis, or dissident OG A. J. Cann. Each makes more or about the same as Paul.

(08-20-2018, 12:57 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 11:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I know. Moncrief has a lock on this roster spot so it's not even worth the time to discuss.

Using this logic, the Jaguars can't part way with D. J. Hayden, Larentree McCray, Cody Davis, or dissident OG A. J. Cann. Each makes more or about the same as Paul.

You have to look at the guaranteed money. Paul actually counts more if waived than if kept. Keep in mind that on Paul I'm merely saying that he most likely won't be waived meaning there's like an 80 percent chance he stays, but the ever-so-slightest possibility he's still let go.

Let me take a look individually...
  • DJ Hayden - absolutely guaranteed he stays put. Consider his roster spot on lockdown.
  • Larentee McCray - similar to Paul, there's about an 80 percent chance he stays put. Given his flashes already this preseason, he's not going anywhere.
  • Cody Davis - Same deal. Again, at least 80 percent he stays put, and they can use his experience out there so he will.
  • AJ Cann - no contract security; Cann would save $1.7 mil if waived. The only reason he's staying put is that he's our starting RG.
So you're right by suggesting none of these guys are going anywhere. They're all staying put, and if you look at my roster prediction, they're all on it.
'02

Just an idea. Would we save any money by trading Moncrief? Perhaps we could get some OLT depth in return? That would be a win-win for everyone since we have a lot of talent at the WR and we are very thin at OT depth.

(08-20-2018, 08:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Just an idea. Would we save any money by trading Moncrief? Perhaps we could get some OLT depth in return? That would be a win-win for everyone since we have a lot of talent at the WR and we are very thin at OT depth.
You must really have something against him lol

I hope he blows up this year.

Are we seriously debating whether Moncrief will make a roster spot on this team? Seriously? I thought that was a no-brainer?

(08-20-2018, 08:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 08:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Just an idea. Would we save any money by trading Moncrief? Perhaps we could get some OLT depth in return? That would be a win-win for everyone since we have a lot of talent at the WR and we are very thin at OT depth.
You must really have something against him lol

I hope he blows up this year.

No, I don't. If trading Moncrief could bring us a solid backup LT though, what's the harm? We'd be using a position of strength to improve a position of need. I was just posing a question if this was possible. Would it have any adverse effect on the salary cap to trade him? I didn't know if it was an option. We could just as easily substitute Rashad Greene's name in the trade scenario, but I believe Moncrief could bring us a better player in return. We have solid WR depth, but backup LT Wells has looked terrible in the preseason and I haven't been impressed by Poehls either. Richardson just got cleared to play from his shoulder injury, so maybe we'll finally get a look at him in the next game. I have high hopes for him that he can be the Swing Tackle we so desperately need, but until we know for sure, the position is very unstable.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM by ATLjag.)

(08-20-2018, 12:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No, I don't. If trading Moncrief could bring us a solid backup LT though, what's the harm? We'd be using a position of strength to improve a position of need. I was just posing a question if this was possible. Would it have any adverse effect on the salary cap to trade him? I didn't know if it was an option. We could just as easily substitute Rashad Greene's name in the trade scenario, but I believe Moncrief could bring us a better player in return. We have solid WR depth, but backup LT Wells has looked terrible in the preseason and I haven't been impressed by Poehls either. Richardson just got cleared to play from his shoulder injury, so maybe we'll finally get a look at him in the next game. I have high hopes for him that he can be the Swing Tackle we so desperately need, but until we know for sure, the position is very unstable.
Moncrief's current cap hit for this year is $9.6m. In a trade scenario, Moncrief got paid a $4m signing bonus, that the Jags would have to retain.  The $5.6m base salary is guaranteed, and would be responsible for the team he is playing for who acquired his contract (in a trade scenario, not the Jags).  So, if the Jags trade Moncrief before the first game, the Jags would save $5.6m against this year's cap.  However, this savings would be lessened by the contract of the LT they acquired in trade.

As I predicted in another thread weeks ago - I still see the WR group coming down to:

Moncrief
Lee
Cole
Westbrook
Chark
Greene

Greene's spot is clearly still a battle between four players, but I think he ends up winning it with Lazard going to the PS.
Not sure if Mickens is eligible for PS.
Wynn will likely be a waive.
I don't think they will try to trade any of these players.

(08-20-2018, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: As I predicted in another thread weeks ago - I still see the WR group coming down to:

Moncrief
Lee
Cole
Westbrook
Chark
Greene

Greene's spot is clearly still a battle between four players, but I think he ends up winning it with Lazard going to the PS.
This is the most likely scenario. I’m cool with it. Really hope we can keep Lazard on the PS too.

(08-20-2018, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: As I predicted in another thread weeks ago - I still see the WR group coming down to:

Moncrief
Lee
Cole
Westbrook
Chark
Greene

Mickens would be claimed for sure. There are a lot of teams that could use a great punt returner and coverage guy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"