Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leonard Fournette Out Indefinitely

(10-02-2018, 09:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 09:54 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I respectfully disagree, but I do want to say that I do not mean abandon the run. Yes absolutely you need balance. Look at the Chiefs, all the talk about Mahomes and you got Hunt going for 120+ on 19 carries. What I'm saying is centering the gameplan around a RB in today's game is simply just dumb. The rules today are for passing. They didn't draft 4nette #4 and pay Norwell the highest guard in the league for nothing. They want to be running identity and I just don't understand that philosophy in today's game. They want to feature Fournette as the centerpiece, and now that he isn't in they are featuring Blake. I love it to. You absolutely need to run the ball, no question about it. Right now though this offense is not the identity they set out to be at the start of the season. My question is, what will this Jags O be when Fournette returns.

This is a very superficial view of what's going on. Overly simplified and largely inaccurate. 

They alter their approach with every single opponent and it is never as simple as that generalization.

It's not. What was their identity last season and what was their identity goal to begin the season? Power running football. It's not even a question to be honest. If you want a great break down about check out Jags Monday video. Boselli and Prisco break it down. They talk about it during first 30 min and is my point. It's worth the watch and then you'll understand what im saying.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-02-2018, 08:41 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 06:35 PM)Predator Wrote: This is utter nonsense. The QB and the RB don't count because they aren't blockers.

What you just described is 7 blockers against 8 defenders in the box which is a stacked box.

Nah they count it by number of players not blockers. Otherwise 11 personnel would only include 5 blockers vs 4 dlineman, a mike, and a will...which is 5 blockers vs 6 in the box. Obviously that doesn't count as a stacked box or literally every damn play would be vs a stacked box.

You don't know what you are talking about.

You are saying that with a normal I formation with only one TE, the only way for the defense to stack the box is to put both safeties in the box which is pure nonsense.

Actually the real definition of stacking the box is 8 men in the box. Period.

What Is The Definition Of Eight In The Box In Football?
1. The box is an area where the linebackers and defensive lineman occupy on the field before a play, usually totaling seven players. When the defensive unit brings an extra player into the box, usually the strong safety, it is then referred to as “eight in the box” because there are now eight players occupying the area. The defensive team puts eight in the box to help gain an advantage to stop and defend against the run, but by doing so, it makes them more vulnerable to a pass play.
Examples Of How Eight In The Box Is Used In Commentary
1. With it being third down and only two yards to go, the Eagles put eight in the box to help stop the rush and prevent the first down.
Sport The Term Is Used
1. Football
Also Known As:
1. Stacking the box
https://www.sportslingo.com/sports-gloss...n-the-box/

Eight men in the box. Oddly bathhouse-redolent term for a run-stuffing defensive alignment in which eight players—usually all the defensive linemen and linebackers, plus one defensive back playing uncharacteristically close to the ball—are stacked into “the box,” the area whose boundaries are defined by where the offensive tackles are lined up on the opposite side of the ball. The alignment is typically deployed in short-yardage situations and against teams that have good running games but not particularly threatening passing games.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/10/...snob200510

You can make up your own definition, but when the rest of the world talks about stacking the box they mean 8 defenders in the box.

(10-02-2018, 10:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 09:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This is a very superficial view of what's going on. Overly simplified and largely inaccurate. 

They alter their approach with every single opponent and it is never as simple as that generalization.

It's not. What was their identity last season and what was their identity goal to begin the season? Power running football. It's not even a question to be honest. If you want a great break down about check out Jags Monday video. Boselli and Prisco break it down. They talk about it during first 30 min and is my point. It's worth the watch and then you'll understand what im saying.

Their "identity last season" was actually all over the map. That's my point. It's why Blake will have 14 pass attempts in one game and 51 in the next.  

This notion that they will approach every opponent with a tons of "power run" has become outdated.  They've shown otherwise multiple times and will continue to do so. 

If Marrone could run the ball down everyone's throat week in and week out, I'm sure he would, but he knows that isn't possible. There were games last season when Fournette had 20 attempts and Blake threw 35 times.  This doesn't jive with your oversimplification.  That's a very balanced offense.

TN has handled KC the last two times they have played so I think the Jags should be sitting pretty. I do not think they match up well with the Jags D. I also think their D is very porous.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 11:44 PM by Upper.)

(10-02-2018, 09:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The game isn't about "style".  Many fans want to see more passing, longer passes, etc., but the game is still the game.  If a team can run the ball for 4+ yards consistently every possession, they are going to be a tough team to beat.  Throw in a capable passing threat and it makes it that much tougher for opposing defenses.  The thing is, the team has to have a good defense.

I could go on, but to say that a power running game is "archaic and out of style" is simply not the case.

This sounds very Marroneish, unfortunately it's not nearly that simple. To score with that philosophy you need perfection for a dozen or more plays to score. One false start, one hold, one drop, one sack, one anything not positive and you're in real trouble. And our offense is very prone to pretty much all of those.

Explosive plays and limiting explosive plays is the best formula for winning in today's NFL.

(10-02-2018, 10:32 PM)Predator Wrote: You can make up your own definition, but when the rest of the world talks about stacking the box they mean 8 defenders in the box.

Lmao I'll take the definition of NextGenStats not Vanity Fair thank you very much.

(10-02-2018, 10:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 10:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: It's not. What was their identity last season and what was their identity goal to begin the season? Power running football. It's not even a question to be honest. If you want a great break down about check out Jags Monday video. Boselli and Prisco break it down. They talk about it during first 30 min and is my point. It's worth the watch and then you'll understand what im saying.

Their "identity last season" was actually all over the map. That's my point. It's why Blake will have 14 pass attempts in one game and 51 in the next.  

This notion that they will approach every opponent with a tons of "power run" has become outdated.  They've shown otherwise multiple times and will continue to do so. 

If Marrone could run the ball down everyone's throat week in and week out, I'm sure he would, but he knows that isn't possible. There were games last season when Fournette had 20 attempts and Blake threw 35 times.  This doesn't jive with your oversimplification.  That's a very balanced offense.
Are we talking about the same team? The team that led the league in rushing attempts and rushing yards last year? Ask any person what the Jags identity is... running. I don't even get the argument that it's not. Are we talking about the same Blake that literally took until late last season to get his first win with over 300 yards? It was always a topic that the team doesn't win when he throws for over 300. Also, the same Blake that just threw for a career high in yards without Fournette twice this season? We never were a passing team and the gameplan was never ever centered around Blake. If anything they'd try to limit his passing attempts. When Fournette plays they force feed him the football. Now that Fournette is out, it is all about Bortles. If you don't understand I do suggest watching Boselli and Prisco talk about it. They break it down easy. It's what the Rams do with Gurley, Chiefs do with Hunt, and Steelers with Bell. They center the gameplan on the QB and mix in the RB. Sometimes the RB gets alot of touches, but I never see those teams force feed the RB like we do when Fournette plays.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 02:15 AM by Predator.)

(10-02-2018, 11:42 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 10:32 PM)Predator Wrote: You can make up your own definition, but when the rest of the world talks about stacking the box they mean 8 defenders in the box.

Lmao I'll take the definition of NextGenStats not Vanity Fair thank you very much.

Funny thing is that NextGenStats doesn't agree with your made up definition either:

8+ Defenders in the Box (8+D%)
On every play, Next Gen Stats calculates how many defenders are stacked in the box at snap. Using that logic, DIB% calculates how often does a rusher see 8 or more defenders in the box against them.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

Lol at Vanity Fair knowing more about football than you. Lmao!

(10-03-2018, 12:41 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 10:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Their "identity last season" was actually all over the map. That's my point. It's why Blake will have 14 pass attempts in one game and 51 in the next.  

Are we talking about the same team? The team that led the league in rushing attempts and rushing yards last year? Ask any person what the Jags identity is... running. I don't even get the argument that it's not. Are we talking about the same Blake that literally took until late last season to get his first win with over 300 yards? It was always a topic that the team doesn't win when he throws for over 300. Also, the same Blake that just threw for a career high in yards without Fournette twice this season? We never were a passing team and the gameplan was never ever centered around Blake. If anything they'd try to limit his passing attempts. When Fournette plays they force feed him the football. Now that Fournette is out, it is all about Bortles. If you don't understand I do suggest watching Boselli and Prisco talk about it. They break it down easy. It's what the Rams do with Gurley, Chiefs do with Hunt, and Steelers with Bell. They center the gameplan on the QB and mix in the RB. Sometimes the RB gets alot of touches, but I never see those teams force feed the RB like we do when Fournette plays.

You're just repeating yourself and not paying attention.

I believe the team's actual approach is more diverse than just "force-feed Fournette when he's healthy."  You think that's all there is to it.  We disagree.  Moving on...

I think we should ask the Browns how much they want for Duke Johnson. They aren't using him at all.

(10-02-2018, 06:35 PM)Predator Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 09:45 AM)Upper Wrote: Looks like we need yet another stacked box refresher. A stacked box is when there are more defenders in the box than offensive players. If we have 5 oline, Blake, LF, TE, FB, 2 WR that's us putting 9 in the box. If the defense is playing 8 in the box in that situation it's not a stacked box, it's just a normal reaction to our personnel.

Fournette faced very few actual stacked boxes. No defenses were looking at us playing in 11 personnel and leaving a WR completely uncovered so they could keep an extra player in the box out of fear of LF. Just didn't happen, sorry.

This is utter nonsense. The QB and the RB don't count because they aren't blockers.

What you just described is 7 blockers against 8 defenders in the box which is a stacked box.

yep

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 08:41 AM by Cleatwood.)

(10-02-2018, 11:20 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: TN has handled KC the last two times they have played so I think the Jags should be sitting pretty.  I do not think they match up well with the Jags D.  I also think their D is very porous.
lol TN hasn't played Mahomes yet man.

(10-03-2018, 08:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 11:20 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: TN has handled KC the last two times they have played so I think the Jags should be sitting pretty.  I do not think they match up well with the Jags D.  I also think their D is very porous.
lol TN hasn't played Mahomes yet man.

CTE affects logical thinking, rational thought, and short and long term memory.

The actual condition is pretty rough too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-01-2018, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think they'll just roll with Yeldon, Grant and Wilds unless one of those guys lands on the injury report.

The team recently worked out Jeremy Langford, so he's an option. I think Charcandrick West is out there. He's a bit interesting. Also Orleans Darkwa is a FA still.

Oreans Darkwa was pretty darn good. If he's still in shape, I'd say he's worth a flyer.
'02

(10-01-2018, 11:02 PM)Predator Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 06:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Fournette is entering bust territory.  I can't remember a stretch where he has been healthy.  One injury after the next.  It's nothing he can control but as Bill Parcells  says, "the best ability is availability."    Good back when healthy but will he ever be able to remain healthy remains to be seen.  Fred Taylor got the nickname "fragile fred" before he proved he could stay healthy.  I hope Fournette has better luck.  Team should put him on short IR and bring him back when that hamstring is 100%.

I guess Fred Taylor was a bust because he couldn't stay healthy early in his career either. 

Powerful guys with fast twitch muscles are prone to soft tissue injuries due to their ability to put more stress on their muscles than the average person. 

He may need to take a page out of Fred's playbook and focus heavily on his diet. Fred credited healthy eating for his ability to avoid soft tissue injuries later in his career.

It's not quite the same. You see, Fragile Fred was injured often early on, but he'd manage to suit up and play the next week. It's almost amazing that he only missed a total of four games as a rookie considering he was injuried in twice as many games. Fragile Fournette pulls a hammy and is out at least four weeks. It's almost unreal.
'02

(10-02-2018, 10:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think they'll just roll with Yeldon, Grant and Wilds unless one of those guys lands on the injury report.

The team recently worked out Jeremy Langford, so he's an option. I think Charcandrick West is out there. He's a bit interesting. Also Orleans Darkwa is a FA still.

https://twitter.com/BigCatCountry/status...8278931461

Good!

BTW, concerning all the "who we should have drafted talk"... if the pick wasn't Fournette I believe it would have been OJ Howard, but he's now hurt too.
'02

Did y’all know that we passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Matt Jones? Draft mistakes happen all the time.

(10-03-2018, 06:33 PM)cincyjacket Wrote: Did y’all know that we passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Matt Jones? Draft mistakes happen all the time.

We also passed on Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson... the latter for a punter.

What's worse than all of these is passing on JJ Watt for Blaine Gabbert.
'02

(10-02-2018, 01:38 PM)paksat Wrote: told ya'll not to draft him

told ya'll taven bryant is another horrible pick

but ye neg away

I was an advocate for drafting Fournette but I may have been wrong.  Yes he had a 1,000 yards last year but on a 3.9 yards per carry average.  He was great early last year until the Injuries took a toll.   This year he is averaging an even worse 3.6 ypc.  I hope he gets over the injury bug but since it's been happening since college it's not promising.   

Taven has been mr. invisible.  I forgot he was on the team.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(10-03-2018, 08:09 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 01:38 PM)paksat Wrote: told ya'll not to draft him

told ya'll taven bryant is another horrible pick

but ye neg away

I was an advocate for drafting Fournette but I may have been wrong.  Yes he had a 1,000 yards last year but on a 3.9 yards per carry average.  He was great early last year until the Injuries took a toll.   This year he is averaging an even worse 3.6 ypc.  I hope he gets over the injury bug but since it's been happening since college it's not promising.   

You realize he's playing on the best DLine in football and he barely plays right? In the limited action he's seen, he's pushed the pocket back into the QB.

(10-04-2018, 08:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 08:09 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I was an advocate for drafting Fournette but I may have been wrong.  Yes he had a 1,000 yards last year but on a 3.9 yards per carry average.  He was great early last year until the Injuries took a toll.   This year he is averaging an even worse 3.6 ypc.  I hope he gets over the injury bug but since it's been happening since college it's not promising.   

You realize he's playing on the best DLine in football and he barely plays right? In the limited action he's seen, he's pushed the pocket back into the QB.

It amazes me how many people don't realize this and think he should have Calais Campbell numbers already. 

Dude is a backup this year and not even the first guy in the rotation. He's learning and getting experience to contribute big NEXT year.