Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tropical Storm Dorian

(09-02-2019, 06:45 PM)EricC85 Wrote: 80 miles off coast, pft it won't even be a bad thunderstorm in Clay/Putnam counties so why do I keep getting evacuation messages and warnings on my cell?

Abundance of caution. Probably this will be less than Matthew but if it took an unexpected swing and hit Jacksonville as a full-on hurricane the powers that be can say "I told you so!"
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-02-2019, 05:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 11:32 AM)DragonFury Wrote: I think the issue is if they wait until the weather is bad enough to evacuate then suddenly you have to evacuate everybody while the weather is getting steadily worse. Then you run the risk of people being stuck in their cars when the storm hits. Better to get them out sooner with some discomfort than get them out too late.
Exactly this. I've been in a small car on the road with tropical storm force winds howling around me. Not fun. Fortunately it was my choice to be out in it so I was able to just go the 3-4 miles back to my dad's house but it was still freakish. I just wanted to see what it was like to drive in those conditions and he lived out in the country. I was in a Geo Storm

Yes, I have done some dumb [BLEEP] in my life. Lol.

I believe that's an appropriate vehicle for transiting an area of severe environmental disturbance.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 07:51 PM by americus 2.0.)

(09-02-2019, 06:18 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: A Metro? OMG

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A Storm. Same make, different model. This was back in '99 when Floyd came to visit Jacksonville.

(09-02-2019, 07:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 05:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Exactly this. I've been in a small car on the road with tropical storm force winds howling around me. Not fun. Fortunately it was my choice to be out in it so I was able to just go the 3-4 miles back to my dad's house but it was still freakish. I just wanted to see what it was like to drive in those conditions and he lived out in the country. I was in a Geo Storm

Yes, I have done some dumb [BLEEP] in my life. Lol.

I believe that's an appropriate vehicle for transiting an area of severe environmental disturbance.

20 years younger and full of all kinds of stupid from time to time.

(09-02-2019, 07:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 06:18 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: A Metro? OMG

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A Storm. Same make, different model. This was back in '99 when Floyd came to visit Jacksonville.

(09-02-2019, 07:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I believe that's an appropriate vehicle for transiting an area of severe environmental disturbance.

20 years younger and full of all kinds of stupid from time to time.

I was surfing the waves of Floyd on an aircraft carrier. That big thing was bobbing like a cork.

Good morning and welcome to Moving Day on the First Coast.

[Image: 093608.png]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019, 06:56 AM by RicoTx.)

Doesn't look like it's going to be much of anything for Jax.  I'n on 'Zone A' in Fruit Cove so I spent all day yesterday readying everything.  Looks like Thursday (I'll wait just to be sure) will be getting everything out of the shed and garage and getting everything back on the patio.

I'm certainly not going to complain.  I thought I was going to get flooded again after just now getting everything back together from Irma.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-03-2019, 06:54 AM)Rico Wrote: Doesn't look like it's going to be much of anything for Jax.  I'n on 'Zone A' in Fruit Cove so I spent all day yesterday readying everything.  Looks like Thursday (I'll wait just to be sure) will be getting everything out of the shed and garage and getting everything back on the patio.

I'm certainly not going to complain.  I thought I was going to get flooded again after just now getting everything back together from Irma.

I hope they don't have to close the bridges, that's the only thing that really disrupts our house.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Certainly good news, got everything in my Zone A neighborhood ready to go.

Really don't want to lose power supposed to be mid-high 90s at the end of the week.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I’m not even expecting to lose power in Palatka
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(09-03-2019, 03:05 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I’m not even expecting to lose power in Palatka

Excuse me! You’re not following the narrative. You should be panicking, praising Jim Cantore and spending prodigious amounts on hurricane preparedness items you’ll never need. Now get out there and run in hysterical circles like you’re expected to.

(09-03-2019, 03:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 03:05 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I’m not even expecting to lose power in Palatka

Excuse me! You’re not following the narrative. You should be panicking, praising Jim Cantore and spending prodigious amounts on hurricane preparedness items you’ll never need. Now get out there and run in hysterical circles like you’re expected to.

lol told my coworker this is how you know the state is overran with new people not from Florida, the whole east coast is now shutting down for what we know is a category 2 storm not expected to make landfall in Florida at al.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(09-03-2019, 04:07 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 03:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Excuse me! You’re not following the narrative. You should be panicking, praising Jim Cantore and spending prodigious amounts on hurricane preparedness items you’ll never need. Now get out there and run in hysterical circles like you’re expected to.

lol told my coworker this is how you know the state is overran with new people not from Florida, the whole east coast is now shutting down for what we know is a category 2 storm not expected to make landfall in Florida at al.

Mandarin has been a ghost town since 2pm. Unreal.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-03-2019, 03:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I bought 7 gallons of whole milk and a bunch of hungry-man dinners. GET ON MY LEVEL

Everyone stay safe today.

[Image: 092607.png]

(hype breathing) Bring it on! I’m ready!

How are the waves looking? Sigh... need to move back to the beach....

The local media is really reaching
A TV47 reporter was up here on Fernandina Beach and "reported" on the waves receding.....pointed up the beach..."A few hours ago...the water was up there!"
points down to the water....."And now its down there!"

Maybe the tides dude? Duh....
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-04-2019, 09:25 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: The local media is really reaching
A TV47 reporter was up here on Fernandina Beach and "reported" on the waves receding.....pointed up the beach..."A few hours ago...the water was up there!"
points down to the water....."And now its down there!"

Maybe the tides dude? Duh....

Was he talking loudly and demonstrably swaying to counteract the moderate wind?

I guess we’re gonna be okay here. The Weather Channel has a chick here. We didn’t get the bald guy!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(09-04-2019, 11:11 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I guess we’re gonna be okay here. The Weather Channel has a chick here. We didn’t get the bald guy!

It has to do with aerodynamics.