Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Tesla cybertruck

So the Tesla truck appeals to the majority of truck owners?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2019, 04:33 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have an 8 mile round trip to work and would love to drive an EV. However, the cost of an additional car isn’t justifiable because I won’t give up my ICE vehicle in the event I need to drive extended distances.
Another concern of mine is range and AC operation in the summer time. Does the AC in an EV still operate when the car is at a stop, and how does it affect range?

I reached a similar conclusion with a former colleague of mine when EV's where first starting to take off. He's retired now but at the time he'd commute to work 30 minutes each way and in the weekend he'd go hiking and drive to a different trailhead each time, a round trip of 300 kms max. For 95% of his trips an EV would have done fine, except every summer he'd hitch a caravan to the back of his car and drive to the South of France with his wife. EV's couldn't do that (still can't really), so instead he drove a Volvo station diesel.

EV's are great cars and are perfectly acceptable for a large part of the trips made, but that 5% of the trips they can't make is still going to make people buy ICE driven cars. Unless of course, you're lucky enough to afford two cars, one EV and one ICE.

Yeah. As much as I would likely enjoy driving an EV most of the time, I'm not willing to wean myself completely from a gas burner. Or absorb the cost of owning each.

(12-05-2019, 05:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: An electric vehicle makes no sense for my personal use.

My "daily driver" is a Ford F-150.  I use it not only for daily commutes to and from work, but also to drive out to my property which is about 45 miles away.  Sometimes I have to hitch a trailer to it whether it's my boat or my flatbed trailer to haul materials/supplies.  My property is in a very rural place with no "charging stations" available for miles (and I'm not going to put one there).

My F-250 is diesel powered and I use it not only to haul agricultural equipment (tow trailers with tractors on them) but also livestock trailers.  Load up a few horses or cows in a trailer and pull it with an EV and see how far you get with no power station available.  Then see how far you get in a diesel powered truck.

Regarding maintenance and breakdowns, if you live in the city perhaps it's readily available.  In a rural area if it breaks, you have to fix it it.  I can get either of my trucks or any of my tractors going using common hand tools, readily available parts and common sense.

The whole tesla truck is being brought to market by some urban dweller that has never had a need for a truck in his life and doesn't understand how they are used outside the urban environment.  The only buyers of such a thing would be "posers" that drive trucks more as a "status symbol" that would only haul groceries in it (provided there is a mat to protect the paint in the bed).

I just don't understand this thinking. I imagine 100 years ago many people brought up similar points as to why not purchase an automobile and instead stick with their horse and carriage. 

I don't have much use for my truck in a rural setting however I decided to purchase a truck instead of a car for one reason, because I haul loads. For out of state trips and large hauls I use my Ram Promaster van, for shorter trips the F-150 is perfect. Since getting into a truck I would never go back to a car as a daily driver even if I didn't need it because I love driving a truck. 

With that said the Tesla Cyber Truck would more than meet my needs, assuming that I would be able to charge after a 300-400 miles so that I can get back home. I need a truck, I would be open to driving the Cyber Truck, I don't see how I would be a "poser" driving the Tesla. 

I understand being traditional as I believe I myself very much so am, but it is difficult to argue that the tech in EV's is not superior. Sure it still needs to come a long way but when charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations, when the kinks are sorted out and common maintenance issues are expected and then easily identified and resolved. At that point would there still be any reason to drive a gas vehicle? I would bet that in twenty or so years the majority of cars on the road will be electric vehicles.

(12-05-2019, 04:33 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have an 8 mile round trip to work and would love to drive an EV. However, the cost of an additional car isn’t justifiable because I won’t give up my ICE vehicle in the event I need to drive extended distances.
Another concern of mine is range and AC operation in the summer time. Does the AC in an EV still operate when the car is at a stop, and how does it affect range?

I reached a similar conclusion with a former colleague of mine when EV's where first starting to take off. He's retired now but at the time he'd commute to work 30 minutes each way and in the weekend he'd go hiking and drive to a different trailhead each time, a round trip of 300 kms max. For 95% of his trips an EV would have done fine, except every summer he'd hitch a caravan to the back of his car and drive to the South of France with his wife. EV's couldn't do that (still can't really), so instead he drove a Volvo station diesel.

EV's are great cars and are perfectly acceptable for a large part of the trips made, but that 5% of the trips they can't make is still going to make people buy ICE driven cars. Unless of course, you're lucky enough to afford two cars, one EV and one ICE.

There's a simple solution to the range problem. If you need extended range then tow a diesel generator to charge while you drive.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-05-2019, 06:59 PM)DragonFury Wrote: So the Tesla truck appeals to the majority of truck owners?

Not from what I see. Its not designed to be a truck, just an SUV with a weird hatch that can tow alot.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(12-05-2019, 11:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 04:33 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I reached a similar conclusion with a former colleague of mine when EV's where first starting to take off. He's retired now but at the time he'd commute to work 30 minutes each way and in the weekend he'd go hiking and drive to a different trailhead each time, a round trip of 300 kms max. For 95% of his trips an EV would have done fine, except every summer he'd hitch a caravan to the back of his car and drive to the South of France with his wife. EV's couldn't do that (still can't really), so instead he drove a Volvo station diesel.

There's a simple solution to the range problem. If you need extended range then tow a diesel generator to charge while you drive.

Hah! It might actually work too...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-05-2019, 04:33 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I reached a similar conclusion with a former colleague of mine when EV's where first starting to take off. He's retired now but at the time he'd commute to work 30 minutes each way and in the weekend he'd go hiking and drive to a different trailhead each time, a round trip of 300 kms max. For 95% of his trips an EV would have done fine, except every summer he'd hitch a caravan to the back of his car and drive to the South of France with his wife. EV's couldn't do that (still can't really), so instead he drove a Volvo station diesel.

That's called a plug-in hybrid.

(12-06-2019, 12:35 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: There's a simple solution to the range problem. If you need extended range then tow a diesel generator to charge while you drive.

That's called a plug-in hybrid.

But if you buy a plug-in hybrid you have to haul your genset for short trips and for long trips. Malabar's redneck solution is better value for the short trips.

(12-06-2019, 12:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 12:35 PM)DragonFury Wrote: That's called a plug-in hybrid.

But if you buy a plug-in hybrid you have to haul your genset for short trips and for long trips. Malabar's redneck solution is better value for the short trips.

Right. The hybrid has a generator and gas tank built into the vehicle, which takes up space and adds weight. With an EV, towing a generator is only a rare need. For 99% of your drives you can leave the generator in your garage.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-06-2019, 10:15 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 12:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: But if you buy a plug-in hybrid you have to haul your genset for short trips and for long trips. Malabar's redneck solution is better value for the short trips.

Right. The hybrid has a generator and gas tank built into the vehicle, which takes up space and adds weight. With an EV, towing a generator is only a rare need. For 99% of your drives you can leave the generator in your garage.

That's a good point. And you have your own backup generator in case power goes out.

It's a cute idea, though I don't know if you can charge from the charging port while driving. That being said Tesla's supercharger network is massive and only people driving extended trips in the middle of nowhere flyover country will need anything other than the superchargers.

Here's the map of them: https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 01:03 PM by mikesez.)

(12-07-2019, 10:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: There's a simple solution to the range problem. If you need extended range then tow a diesel generator to charge while you drive.

It's a cute idea, though I don't know if you can charge from the charging port while driving. That being said Tesla's supercharger network is massive and only people driving extended trips in the middle of nowhere flyover country will need anything other than the superchargers.

You would need some computer hacking skills to get it to work. It's definitely physically possible to charge the car while driving. It is physically possible for a computer attached to the battery to tell a diesel generator on a trailer to turn on or turn off. But to make all that work within the software that the Tesla already has to manage its battery, you would want the cooperation of Tesla itself.
If their software is open source, some outside programmer with some talent could figure it out though

(12-07-2019, 01:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 10:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's a cute idea, though I don't know if you can charge from the charging port while driving. That being said Tesla's supercharger network is massive and only people driving extended trips in the middle of nowhere flyover country will need anything other than the superchargers.

You would need some computer hacking skills to get it to work. It's definitely physically possible to charge the car while driving. It is physically possible for a computer attached to the battery to tell a diesel generator on a trailer to turn on or turn off. But to make all that work within the software that the Tesla already has to manage its battery, you would want the cooperation of Tesla itself.
If their software is open source, some outside programmer with some talent could figure it out though

I'm guessing on this, but the car probably only runs signed code, so I don't think there's any way currently to modify the software on the user end even with source code access. Still it's an interesting question. You'd need a powerful generator to make it even a worthwhile endeavor, though, as even with a ten kilowatt unit that could feed a Tesla that whole amount steadily would still only be getting something like 25-30 miles of range from it per hour. (Assuming the cybertruck uses 350-400 watt hours per mile.) While the supercharger would do 10 times as much on current rates, and the newer (version 3) superchargers are even still much faster.

Can someone let me know if the cybertruck has this capability?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-autop...ut-cop-car

(12-07-2019, 04:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Can someone let me know if the cybertruck has this capability?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-autop...ut-cop-car

Driving like a moron? I see that everyday in Jax for all kinds of trucks. Don't need a Tesla for that feature, lucky for you.

(12-07-2019, 10:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Or not:

75 minutes per charge x 1000 cars waiting

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM by SeldomRite.)

(12-07-2019, 09:05 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 10:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's a cute idea, though I don't know if you can charge from the charging port while driving. That being said Tesla's supercharger network is massive and only people driving extended trips in the middle of nowhere flyover country will need anything other than the superchargers.

Or not:

75 minutes per charge x 1000 cars waiting

That's hilarious. Of course it's also nothing that hasn't happened with gas in the past, except worse because instead of just waiting for a turn there literally just wasn't any.

California has the most Teslas by far, hundreds of thousands already.The good news is infrastructure will continue to be built out, but imagine what it's like to drive any other kind of electric car that doesn't even have a supercharger network, and charges more slowly, too.

(12-12-2019, 12:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/c...ame=iossmf

Elon Musk is already on the way to his next big idea. He knows his brain-dead following has no issue waiting in line for 4 hours to charge a vehicle. After-all, that is what sheep do. It's like everyday is a hurricane when you are filling up your Tesla!

(12-12-2019, 12:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/c...ame=iossmf

Like SeldomRite said already, it's not that different from when there is a gas shortage and massive lines formed at any gas station that had gas. The only issue here is the infrastructure is not keeping up with the demand, once that catches up issues like these will disappear as well.