Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Tesla cybertruck

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 09:36 AM by SeldomRite.)

So Tesla unveiled their upcoming full size pickup truck, and the design has opinions on it split. If the specs are real then it'll be by far the best value in a full sized truck for anyone that doesn't drive their truck hundreds of miles at a time with a trailer.

The fuel savings alone compared with the sub 20 mpg full size pickups often get will make the $40,000 Tesla truck more like buying a $30k truck once fuel costs are considered.

Driving 100,000 miles at 20 mpg takes 5000 gallons of fuel. At $2.50 a gallon (quite a conservative estimate of what fuel will average over the next ten years) would end up costing $12,500. And that doesn't even factor in the thousands of dollars in maintenance and repair the drivetrain is likely to need over 8-10 years, costs an electric are unlikely to have.

The Tesla, if it goes 85mpge (about 10% lower than the model x, their current most inefficient model) then it'll use around .4 kWh per mile driven, which would mean 40000kWh, and with each kWH letra say power costs rise a little over the next ten years and average about $.13 per kWH. That would make the fuel cost for the Tesla around $5200, or$7300 less than the gas powered truck before you consider the lower maintenance and repair costs. And the longer you keep the Tesla and further you drive it, the cheaper it becomes relative to the gas truck.

And this assumes the Tesla truck isn't as efficient as the model x, and that your full size truck actually gets 20mpg, figures for real life efficiency I can find show they usually get much lower (http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150), if it's more efficient or your truck is less efficient then it's even cheaper.

The only issue is if you like the sharp lines of the new vehicle or not. Personally I think it looks good. What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like the specs on it. I like the price in particular. As I find it fairly fair and competitive with most top billed trucks across the industry.

I don't mind the design. I think it's edgy. Pun intended. The flatbed looks cool too. The frame appears to be tough as [BLEEP] as well. Which is always nice with a kid on the way for safety.

I haven't seen the inside of it yet and I am not familiar with the UI / Dashboard that's on deck for his vehicles. But I'd imagine it's a nice layout that's user friendly.

I would like to test drive one for sure though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It's ugly as sin. Looks like a 1970s era home video game.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2019, 09:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's ugly as sin. Looks like a 1970s era home video game.
True. But it stands out. . . [Image: 7dcffebd480823111118732e3d89db51.jpg]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-24-2019, 09:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I like the specs on it. I like the price in particular. As I find it fairly fair and competitive with most top billed trucks across the industry.

I don't mind the design. I think it's edgy. Pun intended. The flatbed looks cool too. The frame appears to be tough as [BLEEP] as well. Which is always nice with a kid on the way for safety.

I haven't seen the inside of it yet and I am not familiar with the UI / Dashboard that's on deck for his vehicles. But I'd imagine it's a nice layout that's user friendly.

The interior is very roomy, you can see it in this ride video and some photos, it shares the dash emptiness with the model 3 it looks like.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/22/2097...-elon-musk

(11-24-2019, 09:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 09:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I like the specs on it. I like the price in particular. As I find it fairly fair and competitive with most top billed trucks across the industry.

The interior is very roomy, you can see it in this ride video and some photos, it shares the dash emptiness with the model 3 it looks like.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/22/2097...-elon-musk
Like it even more now after that. This is a really cool concept. I understand folks with brand loyalties to Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.

But I think there's a chance this truck holds it's own. Didn't even realize the flatbed has a built in ramp to it. That's really cool too. And convenient.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 10:44 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Ugliest vehicle on the planet. I thought nothing could possibly be uglier than a Kia Soul, but the Tesla truck is even worse. The best part was that during the reveal, they tested the break proof windows by throwing a metal ball at them and guess what? They broke. Here's a picture of an embarrassed Musk explaining to the crowd that it failed.

[Image: Tesla-CyberTruck.jpg]

Coming soon to the Interstate near you!

[Image: RoadBlasters_Title.png]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2019, 10:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Ugliest vehicle on the planet. I thought nothing could possibly be uglier than a Kia Soul, but the Tesla truck is even worse. The best part was that during the reveal, they tested the break proof windows by throwing a metal ball at them and guess what? They broke. Here's a picture of an embarrassed Musk explaining to the crowd that it failed.

[Image: Tesla-CyberTruck.jpg]

The window breaking thing was funny, but apparently they had already tested it before going out, maybe they hit them one too many times.

https://youtu.be/c20skm7w1NE

What I wonder about the pedestrian safety rating with that body work. The thing looks like it wouldn't be allowed on many European roads, though that's probably not where the majority of its customers are going to be.

(11-24-2019, 09:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The frame appears to be tough as [BLEEP] as well. Which is always nice with a kid on the way for safety.

BTW, tough is not the same as safe. Crumple zones exist for a reason. 

Having said that, Tesla does have an excellent track record for making very safe cars.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 01:41 PM by homebiscuit.)

Pretty cool as long as you don't have to use it like, you know, a truck. Then the estimated range drops to 30 miles with a tail wind and a down slope.

Like Apple, Teslas business model relies on mindless sheep. Good for Elon.

(11-24-2019, 02:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Like Apple, Teslas business model relies on mindless sheep. Good for Elon.

We are all sheep that stand in awe of your great intellect, oh master!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-24-2019, 02:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Like Apple, Teslas business model relies on mindless sheep. Good for Elon.

It's this an insightful commentary on consumerism and the pervasiveness of advertising and the effect on society, or are you just trolling?

I will say this, if it's the former then you're off base, Tesla doesn't advertise at all, unlike all the other major truck manufacturers.

(11-24-2019, 03:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

It's this an insightful commentary on consumerism and the pervasiveness of advertising and the effect on society, or are you just trolling?

I will say this, if it's the former then you're off base, Tesla doesn't advertise at all, unlike all the other major truck manufacturers.

Sheep put deposits down on cars they have never seen not on a stage,  or driven. 

Sheep get excited about a roof that costs 3x a regular roof with an ROI of 20 years.

FYI, Musk's tweets are Tesla advertising.

(11-24-2019, 03:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 03:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's this an insightful commentary on consumerism and the pervasiveness of advertising and the effect on society, or are you just trolling?

Sheep put deposits down on cars they have never seen not on a stage,  or driven. 

Sheep get excited about a roof that costs 3x a regular roof with an ROI of 20 years.

That's not advertising, only people that already care about what he has to say see those. Advertising is the TV commercials you see repeatedly during football games for Ford, Chevy, and Ram trucks.

The deposit is refundable, BTW. For people that aren't living paycheck to paycheck it's the equivalent of reserving a place in line without any real risk. If you don't believe me on that refundable part just go to Tesla's page and see for yourself, it's tesla.com.

Tesla is succeeding because their vehicles are better than their competition's vehicles, not because you're obsessed with Elon's tweets.

(11-24-2019, 03:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 03:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's this an insightful commentary on consumerism and the pervasiveness of advertising and the effect on society, or are you just trolling?

This is so interesting! 
Without you here to guide me, I would be saying things like,  "the roof lasts longer than 20 years" and "most mortgages last longer than 20 years" and I might even come to the conclusion that "a 20-year ROI is pretty good." 
But you obviously have some much higher level knowledge of mathematics and finance than any of us here.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-24-2019, 03:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 03:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sheep put deposits down on cars they have never seen not on a stage,  or driven. 

This is so interesting! 
Without you here to guide me, I would be saying things like,  "the roof lasts longer than 20 years" and "most mortgages last longer than 20 years" and I might even come to the conclusion that "a 20-year ROI is pretty good." 
But you obviously have some much higher level knowledge of mathematics and finance than any of us here.

If you think a 20 year ROI is good, bless you. Also, most home insurers in Florida are skeptical about insuring an asphalt roof over 25 years old. Wonder how they would feel about a cheap plastic one.

You can't teach good judgement, which makes you a target of Elon.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM by EricC85.)

I’d drive a camo wrapped Prius before that garbage
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Looks like it was built from a DeLorean is some guy's garage.  Not exactly an inspired design. 

[Image: delorean-dmc-12-05.jpg]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.