Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Staff Speculation/Suggestion (merged)

Has there been any speculation at all any coaches under Marrone are in trouble? I like the idea of replacing Wash, but I figured by now you would have at least heard they’re considering changes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020, 10:32 PM by mal234.)

I wonder what Chad is meeting Doug for. I remember a few years he had tweeted at Hue Jackson saying he wanted an opportunity to work with wide receivers at Camp. It was mentioned that Chad had wanted to try his hand at coaching. Hue ended up inviting him as his guest and Chad was working with draft picks for a few days during the Browns training camp.

Chad ended up leaving and Hue said that he believes that Chad discovered coaching was tougher than he thought it would be. Chad did mention that he would come back, and Hue said he could come back from time to time. But Hue wasn't sure if he would come back. I don't think he really did come back after training camp with the Browns. (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that, and if he did come back after their training camp. But I don't think he did).

Maybe Doug wants Chad to work with some of the players in training camp. I'm not sure if it might be something beyond that. If so, hopefully if Chad is hired he will be effective and stick it out longer than he did with the Browns.

(01-08-2020, 10:27 PM)mal234 Wrote: I wonder what Chad is meeting Doug for. I remember a few years he had tweeted at Hue Jackson saying he wanted an opportunity to work with wide receivers at Camp. It was mentioned that Chad had wanted to try his hand at coaching. Hue ended up inviting him as his guest and Chad was working with draft picks for a few days during the Browns training camp.

Chad ended up leaving and Hue said that he believes that Chad discovered coaching was tougher than he thought it would be. Chad did mention that he would come back, and Hue said he could come back from time to time. But Hue wasn't sure if he would come back. I don't think he really did come back after training camp with the Browns. (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that, and if he did come back after their training camp. But I don't think he did).

Maybe Doug wants Chad to work with some of the players in training camp. I'm not sure if it might be something beyond that. If so, hopefully if Chad is hired he will be effective and stick it out longer than he did with the Browns.

I think Keenan McCardell is doing a good job with our WR corp. Why would they bring Ochocinco in?

(01-08-2020, 10:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:27 PM)mal234 Wrote: I wonder what Chad is meeting Doug for. I remember a few years he had tweeted at Hue Jackson saying he wanted an opportunity to work with wide receivers at Camp. It was mentioned that Chad had wanted to try his hand at coaching. Hue ended up inviting him as his guest and Chad was working with draft picks for a few days during the Browns training camp.

I think Keenan McCardell is doing a good job with our WR corp. Why would they bring Ochocinco in?
Assistant WR Coach? Get him in the door?
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(01-08-2020, 10:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I'm not sure. Maybe they just want him around for training camp. I think that Chad is likeable and knowledgeable, but unfortunately, I do think he can be a bit flaky. He left the Browns training camp after like three days, lol. He might get around the Jags and decide he wants to leave them too.

(01-08-2020, 07:24 PM)Upper Wrote: New WR coach incoming:

https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/121...2321225728

Oh what fresh hell is this? This is a joke right? Freaking Ochocinco? We all laughed at him on the sideline, this is Marrone rebuilding the staff?

And I'm hoping we make a run at Wade.

(01-08-2020, 08:39 PM)High Octane Wrote: ^^
What could that possibly be for?

We need someone to coach up self-promotion?

Honestly, if he is looking to get into coaching, give him a QC position, let him study film, and work under a guy like McCardell. If McCarddell is a good coach he's probably going to be a good teacher of other coaches, and also may not stick around forever waiting for a promotion.

(01-09-2020, 09:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 08:39 PM)High Octane Wrote: ^^
What could that possibly be for?

We need someone to coach up self-promotion?

Honestly, if he is looking to get into coaching, give him a QC position, let him study film, and work under a guy like McCardell. If McCarddell is a good coach he's probably going to be a good teacher of other coaches, and also may not stick around forever waiting for a promotion.

While I'm skeptical of any sort of "hiring" of the guy  --  there is no reason he can't continue to dip his toe in the waters of coaching, and McCardell/Marrone may be the right environment for him to get some good experience. 

Lots of players transition to coaching at some level (even if not in the league) and these sort of formal or informal internships are a common way for them to begin the process.  Nearly every single offseason we hear reports of multiple former players coming through the Jags OTAs and camp to gain experience. Not a big deal if that's what is being discussed. 85 just has a big personality so folks are a bit hesitant to take him seriously.

Maybe he is just traveling to Jacksonville and is just trolling everyone? I mean this is Ochocinco after all.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-09-2020, 09:24 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 07:24 PM)Upper Wrote: New WR coach incoming:

https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/121...2321225728

Oh what fresh hell is this? This is a joke right? Freaking Ochocinco? We all laughed at him on the sideline, this is Marrone rebuilding the staff?

lol. On the bright side maybe this is a sign that Doug is attempting to make changes regarding the staff of this team. Granted it's not a move people were expecting, but maybe it's the start of some changes. Hopefully they will do something regarding the Defensive Coordinator position. Maybe get Wade and Schwartz is also still technically out there. I did see that reports that Scwartz is a serious candidate for the Browns and he met with them on Wednesday. 

They still have to interview Kevin Stefanski today (and according to Peter Schrager, Paul DePodesta really likes him.) And then Josh McDaniels on Friday. I saw a report that the Browns wanted a deal in place by Saturday. So we should know soon if Jim will still be available. 

Looking around the league I have mostly liked the hires that other teams have made at the Head Coaching position. I think that Mike McCarthy can help Dallas and could be a good fit for them. I like the Panther's hire. I'm a bit iffy on the Giants hire as HC, but it might work out for them. And while the Jags didn't change HC's maybe they can still make improvements on the staff like getting a better DC.

(01-09-2020, 11:08 AM)mal234 Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 09:24 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Oh what fresh hell is this? This is a joke right? Freaking Ochocinco? We all laughed at him on the sideline, this is Marrone rebuilding the staff?

lol. On the bright side maybe this is a sign that Doug is attempting to make changes regarding the staff of this team. Granted it's not a move people were expecting, but maybe it's the start of some changes. Hopefully they will do something regarding the Defensive Coordinator position. Maybe get Wade and Schwartz is also still technically out there. I did see that reports that Scwartz is a serious candidate for the Browns and he met with them on Wednesday. 

They still have to interview Kevin Stefanski today (and according to Peter Schrager, Paul DePodesta really likes him.) And then Josh McDaniels on Friday. I saw a report that the Browns wanted a deal in place by Saturday. So we should know soon if Jim will still be available. 

Looking around the league I have mostly liked the hires that other teams have made at the Head Coaching position. I think that Mike McCarthy can help Dallas and could be a good fit for them. I like the Panther's hire. I'm a bit iffy on the Giants hire as HC, but it might work out for them. And while the Jags didn't change HC's maybe they can still make improvements on the staff like getting a better DC.

Agreed. I think it was NYC saying Wash and Warhop gone at least. I think we could all get on board with those 2 going. Ochocinco wasnt a bad player, he was actually really good but TO levels of drama. I'm sure hes calmed down now but if we want to go the ex-player route, which I do like, theres better choices out there. Why not go for Jerry Rice??!! 

It will be interesting to see how Jerry and McCarthy work next year. Solid hire on paper but Dallas is JerryWorld. Rivera was a solid hire by Washington. Not sure of the Judge hire in NY. Tough City to coach in, young roster with lots of holes and been a bad team for too long. The rest of the East has gone experience...

Normally the team still looking for HC now are onto the 3rd/4th name on the list. Not a crazy amount of turnover this year so while the Browns are still searching, the look to have a run at who they want. I think they go heavy for McDaniels. Give him Mayfield to improve and a lot of weapons for his O.

You guys realize 85 flying to Jax to (maybe) meet with Marrone in NO way means he's a potential hire, right??

He's probably trying to just beg his way into an internship or apprenticeship under McCardell. More than likely also motivated by the Minshew hype and hoping to cash in a bit if he can be around camp in July and promote himself.

The Jaguars are not hiring this guy to any serious position. Let's not get carried away here.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2020, 12:38 PM by mal234.)

(01-09-2020, 12:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 11:08 AM)mal234 Wrote: lol. On the bright side maybe this is a sign that Doug is attempting to make changes regarding the staff of this team. Granted it's not a move people were expecting, but maybe it's the start of some changes. Hopefully they will do something regarding the Defensive Coordinator position. Maybe get Wade and Schwartz is also still technically out there. I did see that reports that Scwartz is a serious candidate for the Browns and he met with them on Wednesday. 

Agreed. I think it was NYC saying Wash and Warhop gone at least. I think we could all get on board with those 2 going. Ochocinco wasnt a bad player, he was actually really good but TO levels of drama. I'm sure hes calmed down now but if we want to go the ex-player route, which I do like, theres better choices out there. Why not go for Jerry Rice??!! 

It will be interesting to see how Jerry and McCarthy work next year. Solid hire on paper but Dallas is JerryWorld. Rivera was a solid hire by Washington. Not sure of the Judge hire in NY. Tough City to coach in, young roster with lots of holes and been a bad team for too long. The rest of the East has gone experience...

Normally the team still looking for HC now are onto the 3rd/4th name on the list. Not a crazy amount of turnover this year so while the Browns are still searching, the look to have a run at who they want. I think they go heavy for McDaniels. Give him Mayfield to improve and a lot of weapons for his O.

I hope the Jags do make some changes, especially with the DC position. I'm not sure what Chad will be doing, but I hope whatever it may be it's productive for the Jags. I am interested in seeing who else Doug may bring in.

Also, IMO, Mike looked happy the other day and comfortable in his introductory press conference for the Cowboys. I think he may end up being happy there. There were times when he was in Green Bay where I definitely wondered if Aaron Rodgers was undermining him to some degree. I do remember reading/hearing reports that was going on and there was tension between them. I don't think he has to worry about that with Dak. Dak seems pretty nice and I think they will get along. 

Jerry gets a lot of flack from football fans in general, largely because of how involved he is with his team. But the Cowboys HC position is IMO a good and a stable job. Jason Garrett got nine years and I don't think that Jerry and his family will run Mike out of town quickly. He will get time to turn the team around. And I think he could do it. It sounds like he's putting together a solid staff. I did see some Cowboys fans express approval of what he's trying to do so far. The Cowboys have a good team in place on both sides of the ball. They just need to figure out how to put it all together and get over the hump they've been trying to cross the past several years. Maybe Mike can help them do that.

I think that the Browns may end up with a good coach this time around. I could see them going with McDaniels and if so I think that could be good for Baker. Freddie Kitchens just was not a good fit as a HC and especially not for the Browns. Maybe McDaniels can get them playing like the talented team they really are. I also feel like the Haslams need to try and be more patient.

They are so impatient and I do get it, because they have had a losing culture for so long. But them constantly hiring and firing coaches is not good. Especially for Baker. This will be like his fourth HC, in less than three years in the league. He and that team needs stability. Here's hoping whoever they hire will help them and actually stick around for a while. 

I think that the Panthers made a good decision with their hire, but I do wonder how that quarterback situation will play out. I don't think they see Kyle Allen as their future starter, especially with the way he struggled in the second half of this season. Will Grier struggled but to be fair to him he is a rookie and only started less than two games. And I don't know what will happen with Cam. I could see the Panthers drafting a QB. 

And I wonder if the Giants rushed on their decision to name a HC. There were still some good candidates out there. I don't know how Joe Judge is going to fare, with like you mentioned a team that has a lot of holes. They do have talent and I do like Daniel Jones (who may have threw like 30 TD's had he started all of the games this season). But they have been struggling the past few years and I'm not sure how things will shake out with this hire. But maybe things will work out with them too.

Maybe he wants a tryout at kicker. He was pretty darn good at it for a position player.

(01-09-2020, 12:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You guys realize 85 flying to Jax to (maybe) meet with Marrone in NO way means he's a potential hire, right??

He's probably trying to just beg his way into an internship or apprenticeship under McCardell. More than likely also motivated by the Minshew hype and hoping to cash in a bit if he can be around camp in July and promote himself.

The Jaguars are not hiring this guy to any serious position. Let's not get carried away here.

@Bookmarking this post for when Doug announces OC OchoCinco on the 14th@

[Image: 1xgjaf.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Kiss the baby!

(01-09-2020, 12:50 PM)Upper Wrote: Maybe he wants a tryout at kicker. He was pretty darn good at it for a position player.

Sorry to derail the thread further - but it's 85's 42nd birthday - here's the best of hi smic'd up:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/12153293...51008?s=20

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM by Brett.)

I grew up 15 years in Cincinnati. One of my favorite WR's.

(01-10-2020, 09:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 12:50 PM)Upper Wrote: Maybe he wants a tryout at kicker. He was pretty darn good at it for a position player.

Sorry to derail the thread further - but it's 85's 42nd birthday - here's the best of hi smic'd up:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/12153293...51008?s=20

He was actually a fan of Jimmy Smith's when he entered the NFL. He studied a lot of his film to work on becoming a better route runner. 

I agree with NYC though. If he's here in town it's more than likely as an apprentice under McCardell and he's maybe trying to get within Marrone's good graces to be on the sideline or participate during training camp.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."