Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Default Training Camp Thread 2020

(08-24-2020, 01:59 PM)mal234 Wrote: Here is a video of Laviska Shenault in today's practice:

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...3583448064

Chris Claybrooks -- 5'9" - 179 pounds undrafted free agent.

I sure hope he got his college degree while he was up at Memphis.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2020, 05:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:59 PM)mal234 Wrote: Here is a video of Laviska Shenault in today's practice:

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...3583448064

Chris Claybrooks -- 5'9" - 179 pounds undrafted free agent.

He was brought in for ST's specifically the return game as his speed is off the charts. I wouldn't write him off just because he's technically listed as a CB.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020, 09:12 PM by mal234.)

Here is a short video showing some of the sounds/more clips of training camp:

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1298061079642353664
I like seeing more of Gardner and the offense. He continues to look good throwing the ball to the offensive players. They have been looking good as a unit during this camp so far.

(08-24-2020, 07:52 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 05:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Chris Claybrooks -- 5'9" - 179 pounds undrafted free agent.

He was brought in for ST's specifically the return game as his speed is off the charts. I wouldn't write him off just because he's technically listed as a CB.

OK --- that makes much more sense.  I should have figured since we would not likely bring in a 5'9" DB weighing 179 specifically for his high upside with regard to defending receivers.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020, 11:41 PM by Eric1.)

(08-24-2020, 09:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 07:52 PM)Firesky Wrote: He was brought in for ST's specifically the return game as his speed is off the charts. I wouldn't write him off just because he's technically listed as a CB.

OK --- that makes much more sense.  I should have figured since we would not likely bring in a 5'9" DB weighing 179 specifically for his high upside with regard to defending receivers.

This is why he was drafted as a late round pick (7th round).. He has 4.2/4.3 speed and was brought in for return duty.

https://twitter.com/BarnBurnerSlim/statu...4138696704

(08-24-2020, 09:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 07:52 PM)Firesky Wrote: He was brought in for ST's specifically the return game as his speed is off the charts. I wouldn't write him off just because he's technically listed as a CB.

I agree for the most part. Also keep in mind Claybrooks only played Defensive Back for a year (maybe two?) at Memphis so he's very raw as a corner, but has been a homerun return threat everytime he touched the ball in college him winning the return job is how he'll stick on this roster.

Like it's worth pointing out that Josiah Scott our 5th round CB is 5'9" 185 lbs. and has really shined this training camp (granted he's being groomed to take over at Nickelback where you can get away with being on the small side) so we did bring in a DB of that size specifically for his high upside with regard to defending receivers lol. but Scott has been playing CB dating back to HS so it's a bit unfair to compare the two.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(08-24-2020, 05:05 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 04:44 PM)Upper Wrote: Well Bryan Anger was the 1st best punter so taking him over Russell Wilson was completely justified.

Because those two things are totally the same.

The point is saying that whoever is the whichever number at their position to justify something means almost nothing.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-25-2020, 09:38 AM)Upper Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 05:05 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Because those two things are totally the same.

The point is saying that whoever is the whichever number at their position to justify something means almost nothing.

Baloney.  Especially with the ridiculous example that you used.  That is always going to come into play in some way, shape, or form.  Especially if players are close in a team's ratings.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-25-2020, 09:58 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 09:38 AM)Upper Wrote: The point is saying that whoever is the whichever number at their position to justify something means almost nothing.

Baloney.  Especially with the ridiculous example that you used.  That is always going to come into play in some way, shape, or form.  Especially if players are close in a team's ratings.

Ok fine, there is a better than good chance that the OT4 in the class will be better than the CB2. And both are premium positions and both were positions of need.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 03:15 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Added Link too show )

I hate relaying training camp reports based on someone else's observations, but considering the general public is unable to attend training camp practices this year...there ya go

This afternoon on 1010XL, Hays Carylon gave his thoughts and observations of camp thus far.

Among his thoughts:

In his opinion, Jaguars' 1st round pick has been the most disappointing rookie thus far.  he pretty much indicated he got torched deep by Keelan Cole in the scrimmage.  He said he was chippy towards Cole, who did not really respond, but Carylon was not impressed pretty much saying if he's going to act like that, he should do his job first.  He said if he didn't know who was drafted where, he sid UDFA Luc Baroo looked to be the more consistent player.

Speaking of CBs, he said Chris Claypool will likely make the final roster not because of his skill at CB, but because of his value as a returner.

Carylon also states that 2nd round WR Laviska Shenault "catches everything" and that he has made himself so important with his receiving ability, he is being removed from ST/return duties.  As to the rest of the receiving corps, he says there are 7 WRs capable of making the final roster, though the team will likely keep 5, maybe 6.  This is because of the good performance by UDFA rookie Terry Godwin out of Georgia.  He said it is possible one of the receivers-perhaps Cole- would possibly be traded.  The speculation as to the final WR group was like this:  Chark, Shenault, Westbrook, Conley, Johnson, Cole and Godwin, with Cole being the most likely to be traded or otherwise not on the roster when all was said and done.

He also reports two notable improvements along the D-Line:  Jernigan and Hamilton.  He said early on, Jernigan was out of shape and had to re-acclimate himself to the FL heat and it showed with his early struggles.  But since the scrimmage, he's seen improvement from Jernigan.  Hamilton has looked better the last two days.

Also according to Carylon, Fournette seems quicker than he has been.  

I've also heard reports that rookie Jake Luton has looked better than all of the backup QBs.

That's all I can remember for now.  As soon as I find out the link is posted, I will post that interview here.  https://soundcloud.com/1010xl-92-5-fm-ja...ys-carlyon

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-25-2020, 03:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I hate relaying training camp reports based on someone else's observations, but considering the general public is unable to attend training camp practices this year...there ya go

This afternoon on 1010XL, Hays Carylon gave his thoughts and observations of camp thus far.

Among his thoughts:

In his opinion, Jaguars' 1st round pick has been the most disappointing rookie thus far.  he pretty much indicated he got torched deep by Keelan Cole in the scrimmage.  He said he was chippy towards Cole, who did not really respond, but Carylon was not impressed pretty much saying if he's going to act like that, he should do his job first.  He said if he didn't know who was drafted where, he sid UDFA Luc Baroo looked to be the more consistent player.

Speaking of CBs, he said Chris Claypool will likely make the final roster not because of his skill at CB, but because of his value as a returner.

Carylon also states that 2nd round WR Laviska Shenault "catches everything" and that he has made himself so important with his receiving ability, he is being removed from ST/return duties.  As to the rest of the receiving corps, he says there are 7 WRs capable of making the final roster, though the team will likely keep 5, maybe 6.  This is because of the good performance by UDFA rookie Terry Godwin out of Georgia.  He said it is possible one of the receivers-perhaps Cole- would possibly be traded.  The speculation as to the final WR group was like this:  Chark, Shenault, Westbrook, Conley, Johnson, Cole and Godwin, with Cole being the most likely to be traded or otherwise not on the roster when all was said and done.

He also reports two notable improvements along the D-Line:  Jernigan and Hamilton.  He said early on, Jernigan was out of shape and had to re-acclimate himself to the FL heat and it showed with his early struggles.  But since the scrimmage, he's seen improvement from Jernigan.  Hamilton has looked better the last two days.

I've also heard reports that rookie Jake Luton has looked better than all of the backup QBs.

That's all I can remember for now.  As soon as I find out the link is posted, I will post that interview here.  https://soundcloud.com/1010xl-92-5-fm-ja...ys-carlyon

It sounds like he made a snap judgment of CJ from a few plays. I think the talent is there. He's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(08-25-2020, 04:11 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I hate relaying training camp reports based on someone else's observations, but considering the general public is unable to attend training camp practices this year...there ya go

Among his thoughts:

It sounds like he made a snap judgment of CJ from a few plays. I think the talent is there. He's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself.

This. Luq Barcoo was getting beat like a drum earlier in camp but has gotten the reps to work through it. Henderson looked incredible early but missed a few practices due to off field issues and a non-covid medical illness so it's no surprise that he's a little behind. I wouldn't worry yet, especially since it's his first practice in pads after days of being away. 

The more I think about the receivers the more I feel like Westbrook or Conley should be the odd ones out, both are UFA's after this year and their contracts aren't so pricy that we can't part with them. I'd rather 3 more years of Godwin, Collin Johnson etc. all things held equal than 1 year of the aforementioned vets only to lose them in FA or have to overpay them like we did with Marqise Lee.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(08-25-2020, 02:22 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 09:58 AM)Rico Wrote: Baloney.  Especially with the ridiculous example that you used.  That is always going to come into play in some way, shape, or form.  Especially if players are close in a team's ratings.

Ok fine, there is a better than good chance that the OT4 in the class will be better than the CB2. And both are premium positions and both were positions of need.

Totally agree. The dude from Iowa was sitting right there. Would've totally solidified the line because the loser of the LT battle between he & Cam could've kicked AJ Cann to the bench at guard.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Among his thoughts:

This is when CJ Henderson got chippy with Cole. Cole straight up smoked him twice..

https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/12...2225532931

(08-25-2020, 04:11 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Among his thoughts:

That's entirely possible he overreacted to a bad scrimmage performance.

But Carlyon has also attended every practice-one of the very few outside of the organization to attend practice in this environment.  Carlyon also made it a point to say he wasn't trying to cause a panic about Henderson or that he's a bust.  There's still a couple of camp weeks remaining, to say nothing of the entirety of Henderson's contract for him to get better.

I wish I could attend the camp practices so I could at least compare my impressions with his.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 07:54 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

IF Henderson becomes a bust and Wills or Wirfs Pro bowl players well... people will still find an excuse for Caldwell that's for sure lol
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Minshew also looked like trash till the regular season last year also.

(08-25-2020, 05:45 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: IF Henderson becomes a bust and Wills or Wirfs Pro bowl players well... people will still find and excuse for Caldwell that's for sure lol

Maybe, but as a Caldwell supporter, I would not.

From a pure need and value standpoint, there was plenty of justification for taking Wills or Wirfs over Henderson at 9.

(08-25-2020, 05:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Among his thoughts:

This is when CJ Henderson got chippy with Cole. Cole straight up smoked him twice..

https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/12...2225532931

This drill is extremely slanted towards the offensive player.  IMO Henderson has shown better movement skills and speed than I expected. He is a fluid athlete who likes to study his playbook. I think that he is going to be a very good player who will probably take some lumps this year, as has every rookie CB that is thrust into a starting job.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(08-24-2020, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 11:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: When you’re relying on an UDFA and a rookie corner who’s had no off season and was a reach at pick 9..... you’re going to get burned.

Not to mention the safeties are average to below average.

Just means Minshew will throw more!

I can't wait for Henderson to silence the blatant disrespect he gets from some posters.
A "reach at 9" is laughable. Considering he was considered the 2nd best CB by most draftniks and talking heads and even rumored to be the best CB by some scouts and draft rooms.

How 9 is a reach for a stud CB that will develop into a shutdown corner is beyond me.
But you and OLine keep banging that drum lol

I will, because I still HATE the pick. There was simply no way, he was a top 10 player. Even if he was the 2nd best CB, (which I don't believe he was,) the drop off from from Okudah to Henderson was massive. We had multiple needs on this team. We didn't need to reach for a CB. We could've taken an O-Lineman, D-Lineman, WR, LB or Safety. Mark my words, we will draft a LT in the first round of 2021, as long as we don't package our picks to trade up for a QB. Hopefully it will be with the first of our opening round picks, which would signal that Gardner Minshew is indeed, our QB of the future. If not, the second of our first round picks should fill the slot. I'm rooting for Penei Sewell of Oregon or Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame.