Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impresssions from the Texans Game-Wk 1

(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 11:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: There's a difference between being overmatched and outcoached. Your players not being able to line up correctly isn't because you have bad players, it's because you have bad coaching.

I expect most of the games left this season the coaching will be able to hide behind inferior talent, but not all of them, and this game, against a team that doesn't have superior talent to the Jaguars, should have had Khan considering what his options are moving forward, because that game was a direct indictment on Meyer.

After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

Really? If nothing else Khan should make sure any trades for the rest of the season have to be approved by him. Letting Urban have GM authority was a big mistake. Can't let Urban do anything stupid with the future in case he's going to have to be sacked after one year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who cares about body language, expressions etc.? What I care about is why did this team appear so woefully apathetic and uninspired?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

This is not an isolated issue.

They get an F for the off-season. Not giving them credit for Trevor Lawrence.

They get an F for running a circus in the off-season.

They get an F for the fake QB competition and the wasted preseason.

They get an F for game 1

I dont expect wins but I am tired of seeing piss poor planning, procedural penalties and dropped passes and mental errors. Give me something that looks like progress. It is too early to think it can't improve but the conduct so far isn't helping.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 12:22 PM by mikesez.)

Firing Urban now makes no sense.
He should have never been hired but he should play out at least half the season.
Urban deserves more chances to show he knows what his teams' actual strengths and weaknesses are. Maybe this game was a fluke or a learning experience.

(09-13-2021, 12:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

Really? If nothing else Khan should make sure any trades for the rest of the season have to be approved by him. Letting Urban have GM authority was a big mistake. Can't let Urban do anything stupid with the future in case he's going to have to be sacked after one year.

Agreed.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-13-2021, 12:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: There's no patience anymore. 

Could you imagine this fanbase in 1989? They would have run JJ out of Dallas.

Armchair GMs gonna armchair.
And yet more often than not, the Armchair GMs are right......

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 12:24 PM by homebiscuit.)

(09-13-2021, 12:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

This isn’t fantasy football.

(09-13-2021, 12:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Armchair GMs gonna armchair.
And yet more often than not, the Armchair GMs are right......

Says the armchair GM. The irony.

(09-13-2021, 12:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Really? If nothing else Khan should make sure any trades for the rest of the season have to be approved by him. Letting Urban have GM authority was a big mistake. Can't let Urban do anything stupid with the future in case he's going to have to be sacked after one year.

(09-13-2021, 12:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And yet more often than not, the Armchair GMs are right......

How's that ironic? lol That was literally the point.

When it comes to this team, myself and others have been right more often than the actual GMs and coaches. Starting Wingard? Yea... That was brilliant. Chaisson and Henderson? Woo boy that was good!

(09-13-2021, 12:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Really? If nothing else Khan should make sure any trades for the rest of the season have to be approved by him. Letting Urban have GM authority was a big mistake. Can't let Urban do anything stupid with the future in case he's going to have to be sacked after one year.

(09-13-2021, 12:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And yet more often than not, the Armchair GMs are right......

I don't even know what you mean. I just think Khan needs to make sure he doesn't have a Bill O'Brien situation happen. Nothing Meyer has done so far indicates he's got the chops for leading an NFL team, I just think Khan should make sure he doesn't do anything disastrous, even if he doesn't, no owner should give carte blanche to a coach.

(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This isn’t fantasy football.

When it comes to this team, myself and others have been right more often than the actual GMs and coaches. Starting Wingard? Yea... That was brilliant. Chaisson and Henderson? Woo boy that was good!

(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

I don't even know what you mean. I just think Khan needs to make sure he doesn't have a Bill O'Brien situation happen. Nothing Meyer has done so far indicates he's got the chops for leading an NFL team, I just think Khan should make sure he doesn't do anything disastrous, even if he doesn't, no owner should give carte blanche to a coach.

The point I’m trying to make is you guys are making judgement calls after one game. Give it time to develop. After 5 or 6 games and it still looks like a Gus Bradley train wreck, then by all means start considering slash and burn. Until that happens, it’s useless to prognosticate doom and gloom.

(09-13-2021, 12:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: How's that ironic? lol That was literally the point.

(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't even know what you mean. I just think Khan needs to make sure he doesn't have a Bill O'Brien situation happen. Nothing Meyer has done so far indicates he's got the chops for leading an NFL team, I just think Khan should make sure he doesn't do anything disastrous, even if he doesn't, no owner should give carte blanche to a coach.

The point I’m trying to make is you guys are making judgement calls after one game. Give it time to develop. After 5 or 6 games and it still looks like a Gus Bradley train wreck, then by all means start considering slash and burn. Until that happens, it’s useless to prognosticate doom and gloom.
I understand completely where you're coming from but I think my main point is that this was the worst team the Jags will face all season.

If the defense is getting torched by Tyrod Taylor, imagine what it'll look like against literally any other QB this season. This should have been the best possible to start for Urban and yet, we got blown out. Maybe he does turn this franchise around like Jimmy Johnson..... Can't wait to find out.

(09-13-2021, 12:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: How's that ironic? lol That was literally the point.

(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't even know what you mean. I just think Khan needs to make sure he doesn't have a Bill O'Brien situation happen. Nothing Meyer has done so far indicates he's got the chops for leading an NFL team, I just think Khan should make sure he doesn't do anything disastrous, even if he doesn't, no owner should give carte blanche to a coach.

I didn't say fire the guy, I said take precautions against him possibly making the future worse.

(09-13-2021, 12:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I notice that fljagator dude hasn't made any comments on C.J.'s Matador act out there yesterday. Guess seeing his crush pull his usual gutless play stye out was too much to bear.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-13-2021, 12:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The point I’m trying to make is you guys are making judgement calls after one game. Give it time to develop. After 5 or 6 games and it still looks like a Gus Bradley train wreck, then by all means start considering slash and burn. Until that happens, it’s useless to prognosticate doom and gloom.

I didn't say fire the guy, I said take precautions against him possibly making the future worse.
Owner is running this thing into the ground again. Too patient with original hires. To excited for an untested hire and retention of a also ran GM. No way unproven guy should have final say and act like he had nothing to do with the off season circus. 

I dont expect a playoff team but I don't expect uncoverd WRs on pre-snap having a linebacker run out to cover at the last minute. Gaff upon gaff without leadership.

It can get better but this is just a waste of our time.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I will root for Meyer to succeed, but it seems like he keeps making really bad choices. This isn’t hindsight driven clarity. These are things that seemed like glaringly poor moves in the moment.

Keeping an underwhelming OL/ coach together with minimal competition.
Flat FA despite ample resources
Poor use of premium draft selections (ETN and Campbell)
The Tebow BS
QB competition…
Trading Schobert, Oliver, Minshew, and Jones for minimal capital in return
Cutting Wilson for Wingard
Minimal use of priority waiver claim
Starting Wingard
Not emphasizing the run with a rookie qb making his first start.

I feel like I am not even remembering everything. Hopefully they come out looking like geniuses by the end of next year. At this point their master plan amounts to us getting our [BLEEP] whooped by the Texans.

To me it looks like he is just overwhelmed at the controls and pressing random buttons.

My first impression after watching this game...

I don't think we win a game this season.  Not with that train wreck that we saw yesterday.  The Jaguars looked like a AA college team trying to compete at the NFL level.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

When you think about it, after all the hand-wringing about Trevor "struggling," he was actually the best player on the field for the Jaguars yesterday. That shows how terrible everyone else was.

I'm curious to see how the staff adjusts for this next game. If I see two things, less penalties and a more balanced offense, I'll be satisfied more positive changes are coming. Those are two items on our long list of deficiencies that can be fixed posthaste. Better defensive play would be nice but that's going to take more than a week to fix.

(09-13-2021, 03:57 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My first impression after watching this game...

I don't think we win a game this season.  Not with that train wreck that we saw yesterday.  The Jaguars looked like a AA college team trying to compete at the NFL level.

If they continue to play like that, I agree. I would think they have to improve though given the low bar to start.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-13-2021, 04:05 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: When you think about it, after all the hand-wringing about Trevor "struggling," he was actually the best player on the field for the Jaguars yesterday.  That shows how terrible everyone else was.

No doubt. He is the least of our worries. We just need to keep him healthy.

(09-13-2021, 04:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm curious to see how the staff adjusts for this next game. If I see two things, less penalties and a more balanced offense, I'll be satisfied more positive changes are coming. Those are two items on our long list of deficiencies that can be fixed posthaste. Better defensive play would be nice but that's going to take more than a week to fix.

Agree 100%.  The come out and throw it all over the place approach to offense will never work in the NFL.  Having somewhat of a run game is important.  Also, it's not so much the penalties... it's the STUPID penalties that kill drives and progress.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.