Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impresssions from the Texans Game-Wk 1

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 06:41 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

1.  I have no problem bashing my team if it commits stupid penalties that kill themselves.  But for the life of me, I don't understand ANY of the first three horse [BLEEP] holding penalties against us.  Linder threw what looked like a clean block with no holding.  I'm not a huge fan of Jawaan Taylor, but I have no clue what the refs saw on his holding call.  They actually managed to call offensive holding on a CB-#40.  It got to the point where I was actually surprised when we had a positive run that WASN'T called back due to offensive holding.  It was down right insulting to see Texans fans indignant about the false start penalty on the 4th down when the C lifted his head and the ball.  In fairness to them, I thought Griffin interfered on that end zone pass  Having said all that, this was far from a solid game penalty wise.  There were still plenty of mental errors and dumb penalties.  How many illegal formation penalties can we have from Ts lining up too far back?  We blew two time outs in the first quarter.

2.  For years, people clamored for a switch to a 3-4 defense as if it would solve all our problems.  Clearly after today, it's not proven true.  While I know we needed 3-4 DL to stock the roster, I did not see us sign any true dominators.  That showed today because we weren't able to really stop the run.  While Josh Allen got an early sack, we didn't do a good job pressuring the QB.  Much like in the preseason game against the Browns, we had difficulty defending short passes outside, and compounded that by giving up deeper passes.  Cooks was the one guy who could beat us deep. and we let him do it twice (More on this later).  The bottom line is we are a long way from being solid defensively.

3.  I thought the secondary would be an area of comparative strength for us with the infusion of speed.  But I didn't imagine how poorly the team would be in terms of playing the ball.  Griffin made a great play on the ball early in the game, but dropped an INT on the first drive that could have changed the game for us.  We can't afford to NOT make a play like that.  Lots of people were upset that Wingard started ahead of Andre Cisco.  It appears they were right.  There were several times he appeared out of position and beaten, even if the completion wasn't made-like when he was beaten badly by the TE down the right side on an incomplete pass.

4.  What will it take for our receivers to consistently catch passes that are catchable?  There were, what, three dropped passes in the first quarter alone?  Granted, some of those passes were a little behind the receiver, but all of them hit the receivers in the hands.  

5.  During the preseason, I had some concern that there was offensive imbalance.  That cooncern crept up again, as TL had some 51 passes, and there was a stretch early on where they had 7 passes and zero runs.  Penalties had much to do with the imbalance early, and then it got exacerbated when the team fell behind.  But the team has to stop killing itself with penalties that put them behind schedule, and then they have to have more offensive balance, especially against teams with superior pass rushes like Denver and Arizona coming up.

6.  I know this will invariably sound like "So Mrs. Lincoln, aside from your husband being shot in the head, how did you like the play?"  But all of the penalties aside, the O-line did not play too, too badly.  Considering we were constantly in long yardage and behind throughout the game, I thought the protection was decent, only giving up a sack.  I thought they also did a decent job opening holes in the running game, considering those early holding calls were complete fiction.

7.  Rookie Watch:

a.  Trevor Lawrence-I thought he was okay today, all things considering.  He had moments where he looked really good, like the TD passes to Manhertz and Chark.  He climbed the pocket well, and moved while looking to pass.  There were times it looked like he could have run, and most rookie passers similarly situated might have run, but he kept his eyes downfield to his credit.  He had moments where he didn't look so good, as would be expected by a rookie making his first start.  The numbers show he threw 3 INTs.  I think the first two picks were the direct result of being in long yardage due to penalties and him trying to play hero ball.  That was especially true on the first INT where he scrambled to his left and tried throwing against his body and overthrew the receiver.  The second INT was set up by a holding penalty that negated a decent play, putting the team in long yardage.  I don't know what the hell happened on the 3rd INT.  As I said earlier, he suffered from some drops, but there were plays his accuracy was off.  All in all, I saw enough from him to be encouraged, but if his rookie inclinations to try to do too much are to be minimized, the team will have to reduce the penalties-actual or fictional.

b.  Travis Etienne- DNP-on IR.

c.  Tyson Campbell-Once again, the whole scouting report thing about him being unable to play the ball effectively reared its ugly head early on on that first deep pass to Brandon Cooks.  Once again he was in a position to possibly knock the ball down, and once again, he didn't/couldn't do it, and it flipped the field, leading to the first Texans' TD.  He i already one of the most frustrating Jaguars I've seen in a while.  I don't know how he can improve his awareness, but I hope Ash, Cullen, Meyer et al get it figured out fast.

d.  Walker Little-I did not see him play at all.

e.  Andre Cisco-I saw him play, but he did not stick out, aside from not being in the game when Wingard was inexplicably the starter.  I have to think he would have done a better job on the TE than Wingard, and I shudder to think of Wingard against Noah Fant next week.

f.  Jay Tufele-I don't know if he played.  I didn't see him.

g.  Jordan Smith-See above.

h.  Luke Farrell-see above.

8.  For all of the hype surrounding Agnew, he didn't make much of an impact.

9.  Speaking of special teams, Lambo missed a needed 55 yard FG.  Granted, a 55 yarder is no chip shot, but in order for us to win this year, he will have to make those.

10.  I think Urban Meyer and Company deserve some criticism for the way this game played out.  From the team's inability to line up properly to wasting two TOs in the first quarter, too many things looked like the results of a team not prepared.  We'll see how this team will bounce back, but there were too many ugly, sloppy moments in this game.  Lots of his critics have said that there aren't any directional schools or Northwesterns on the NFL schedule.  They are wrong.  The Jaguars are the directional school/homecoming opponents.  Shaking my head in dismay.

11.  Bottom line-Aside from the flashes from Lawrence, there wasn't much to like in this performance.  As vastly outplayed and outcoached as this team was today, the level of competition will step up a couple of levels in the next couple of weeks.  The penalties that weighed this team down like an anchor will have to disappear if this team is to have any balance.  Otherwise, the pass rush will be far more of a problem for Trevor Lawrence than it was this week, resulting in far fewer of these positive flashes.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Seems about right to me

Little and Tufele were both inactive today.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-12-2021, 06:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Little and Tufele were both inactive today.

Thank you.

I don't get Little being inactive today.  Are tackles not capable of being injured?!?

He needs to be active next week.  I don't trust either of our starters to hold up against Chubb and Von Miller.

I guess they were good with just Richardson on the game day.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 07:46 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's a bit harder to evaluate the game when you are there, so I really only have three takeaways.

1. The coaching staff was completely outclassed. By far the biggest arrow down of the day, and I was really low on the Meyer hire to begin with.

2. Tyson Campbell's lack of change of direction is even more noticeable in person. Amendola was just running rings around him all game long. He could have had hurt us twice as bad as he did. He'll get better obviously, and I'm not too worried about the lack of playing the ball that should come in time too, but I just don't see an elite corner developing with a guy this stiff. And obviously he shouldn't take another snap from the slot the rest of his career.

3. Tlaw looked better in person than the TV probably suggested. He obviously made a few really bad decisions, but man he can really, really throw the ball. It's been two decades since we've seen someone be able to consistently spin it like this. It felt very much like rookie Manning and Luck out there. Once he develops he's going to be monster, not worried about him in the slighest.

EDIT: 4. I forgot this important one. The coaching staff has got to encourage Trevor to tuck it and run judiciously. There were plenty of opportunities where he had a lane to get a good 10-15 yards and instead tried to make an inadvisable throw. The first INT being the biggest example. He should have had ~5 rushes for 50 yards.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 07:18 PM by jvillejagsn1. Edited 1 time in total.)

A lot of the coaching decisions lately have me scratching my head. Starting “gabbert” over Cisco; only to see what we’ve all known from the get go and put in Cisco. Splitting the backs attempts too much. We all now backs need a lot of touches to get into a rhythm. Robinson didn’t have a great day. But i myself think that the lack of consistency in play attempts was a cause for some of that.

For us to have so many illegal formation penalties is just ridiculous. I’m not sure if that’s just dumb lineman or coaching. But either way, that reflects the coaching preparations for the game. I was weary of this coaching staff, but the speeches and what looked like passion for the game, pushed some of that aside. But now, I’m really worried about this coaching staff. From personnel decisions on areas we all knew were concerns, to game day prep, to looking and feeling lost with a real NFL game, it all looks pretty bad.

Tlaw looks the part and he kept fighting. Some of those mistakes is because our oline who we all knew was an issue, couldn’t keep pressure off him much. Others looked to me him trying to do too much because the defense couldn’t stop anyone.

Overall, game was really bad. Time to panic? Idk. We were 1-15 last year. Didn’t look like much improved. So maybe so…. I’m just ready to see improvement in our team. There wasn’t really any of that today.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(09-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Little and Tufele were both inactive today.

Thank you.

I don't get Little being inactive today.  Are tackles not capable of being injured?!?

He needs to be active next week.  I don't trust either of our starters to hold up against Chubb and Von Miller.

I think you meant Myles Garrett and Von Miller.

Also a notable stat is Chark had 12 targets with only 3 receptions.

(09-12-2021, 07:28 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Thank you.

I think you meant Myles Garrett and Von Miller.

Also a notable stat is Chark had 12 targets with only 3 receptions.

No he means Bradley Chubb and Von Miller, who we will face next weekend. That is if Chubb is healthy enough to play. He was inactive today.

Long day bro. Thanks for the correction.

The Texans are by far the worst team the Jags will face all season. By a long shot.

The drops were probably the thing that stood out most to me. Everyone seemed to be dropping passes which obviously kills a drive. Next were the penalties. I feel like every other play there was a flag (right or wrong).

Trevor is the least of my worries. He’s going to be really good. Urban is at the top of my worry list and then it’s the defense. If you can’t stop Tyrod Taylor, then every other QB is going to torch you.

Trevor will still be in the top 2 rookie QBs by the end of the year as far as production and improvement. I'm not worried about him.

What irritates me the most about the loss were 2 things:

1. The lack of using the run in the 1st half of the game. I can understand if you are throwing more in the 2nd half if playing from behind. But, it seemed as soon as the Texans went over 20 points, it was mostly throwing from there on out. 1 dimensional offenses early in the game are usually a recipe for a loss. And this was against a team who finished near the bottom of the league in passing and rushing defense last year.

2. I did not like the defense for the most part today. I understand this is Cullen's first time as a defensive coordinator in the NFL. I expect this to take at least 3-5 games before we start seeing some continuity on this side of the ball. The unit as a whole played sloppy today. And this is not to knock off the Texans on offense. They have talented players on offense. (Even without Watson) And I wasn't expecting the Jags to completely shut them out. But, giving up almost 40 points, is horrific.

This could look ugly at least in the next 4 or 5 games this season. I expect to see better improvements afterwards.

(09-12-2021, 07:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Texans are by far the worst team the Jags will face all season. By a long shot.

The drops were probably the thing that stood out most to me. Everyone seemed to be dropping passes which obviously kills a drive. Next were the penalties. I feel like every other play there was a flag (right or wrong).

Trevor is the least of my worries. He’s going to be really good. Urban is at the top of my worry list and then it’s the defense. If you can’t stop Tyrod Taylor, then every other QB is going to torch you.

We are in almost complete agreement, except that I would add offensive line to the list of worries.

(09-12-2021, 07:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 07:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Texans are by far the worst team the Jags will face all season. By a long shot.

We are in almost complete agreement, except that I would add offensive line to the list of worries.
Oh the OLine is absolutely a worry but that’s one that’s been beat to death lol

On to Denver I guess!

It felt like we were swapping out too many players on defense from play to play. Being at the game, you could tell they were out of position due to swapping players often. Gotta clean that up. Offense not getting the plays in was unacceptable. Just poor game management.

This game reminded me so much of watching this team last year. We just overall sucked again.

Are we ever going to pressure the qb on defense cosistently again?

Imo thats the biggest worry and until we can we keep losing.

While I'm bummed about the loss, the one thing I was most wanting to see was if Trevor Lawrence looked legit and I think he answered that question. Dude is gonna be good. Probably as bad a situation for him as could be expected in week 1. Trailed from the get go as defense was terrible, put into a bunch of awful down and distance due to stupid penalties and mistakes, texans knew he was going to pass almost every down, etc... but for his first ever game, he looked the part. Huge arm, could slide in the pocket to avoid the rush, wasn't scared to throw down the field in the intermediate part of the field. He made throws we haven't seen here since peak Brunell. Yea he wasn't perfect but whatever. First ever NFL game and put in difficult positions all game long. Of course he would make a few head scratchers. But his upside is through the roof. I think he is gonna be really really good.

As far as Meyer, terrible coaching job. Team made so many dumb mental mistakes. Had no answers for the Texans and not sure we ever adjusted (admittedly I quit watching our defense in the second half and only flipped back when I knew our offense was on the field). Got away from the run way too early. His decision to be aggressive at the end of the first half cost us as a touchdown as he had to guess our defense might wilt. While all around terrible first game, I'm not going to write him off. I know a lot of people don't like him and want him to fail so it's not always easy having rationale discussions about him but the guy has always been a winner. He was able to win in college by out scheming people but he was also able to do so by out recruiting people. Wherever he went and whatever the situation, he figured out ways to win. Does that mean he will in the NFL? Of course we don't know. But I think the guy has shown in his previous jobs the willingness to fix problems and adjust to the circumstance of the job. He'll have to do that here as well. All offseason I kept thinking about Jimmy Johnson who was obviously a great college coach, had a horrific first year in the NFL taking over a lousy team while starting a rookie QB, and eventually turned into a super bowl winner. I walked into this season thinking Urban, just like Lawrence, will have ups and downs. But as long as we see improvement throughout the year, I'd be hopeful. I'm not going to change that opinion now.

As far as this specific game, the biggest surprise to me was our secondary. They were awful! Winguard was his typical self. Looked out of position at times and missed a couple of tackles. But some of the biggest gaffes in the secondary and the most meaningful plays were from our big money guys. Other than that first drive of the game, Shaq Griffin seemed slow and was constantly getting beat. Gave up that almost hail mary looking pass late in the first half inside the 10 yard line where Tyrod really just threw it up. And I didnt think Jenkins was much better. You mentioned Tyson Campbell as giving up that big play early in the game to Cooks but I'd argue Jenkins was more at fault for that. It's possible Campbell got totally burned or it's possible based on the coverage he was playing underneath the guy expecting safety help. Either way Jenkins had the clearest and easiest opportunity to knock the ball away and chose to go for the pick instead even though it was 3rd down. And as we all saw Cooks stole it from him. And as far as missed tackles, I think he might have had more than Winguard. Neither shaq or jenkins lived up to the contracts we gave them. And then poor Campbell. Dude should never be an inside slot guy. Way too stiff and laterally slow. All the concerns we heard about in the offseason came to fruition. And while this may be on the linebackers, nobody back there could figure out how to deal with pick plays. Our guys were getting caught up in the wash all game giving Tyrod easy completions. Just a terrible all around game from everyone in the secondary. If they dont clean that up, it's gonna be a really long year.

Offensive line only gave up that one sack. Thought Lawrence saved them from a couple more. Overall looked roughly the same to me. They might have been a really good line 40 years ago when running the ball was more important. But it's a passing league and their skillset isn't as valuable in the modern NFL. Still not sure why we didnt try to upgrade the line more aggressively in the offseason.

As you already eluded to, for a team coming off a 1-15 season with a ton of holes and five early round draft picks, kind of disappointing we only got meaningful impact from one of those. To have a decent chance of being somewhat good this year, gotta think we needed a lot of production from our rookie class. And doesnt look like we'll get it outside of Lawrence. Etienne loss is a bummer but after game 1 feels like we need the defensive guys (Campbell, Cisco, and Tufele) to really step up.

(09-12-2021, 06:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I have no problem bashing my team if it commits stupid penalties that kill themselves.  But for the life of me, I don't understand ANY of the first three horse [BLEEP] holding penalties against us.  Linder threw what looked like a clean block with no holding.  I'm not a huge fan of Jawaan Taylor, but I have no clue what the refs saw on his holding call.  They actually managed to call offensive holding on a CB-#40.  It got to the point where I was actually surprised when we had a positive run that WASN'T called back due to offensive holding.  It was down right insulting to see Texans fans indignant about the false start penalty on the 4th down when the C lifted his head and the ball.  In fairness to them, I thought Griffin interfered on that end zone pass  Having said all that, this was far from a solid game penalty wise.  There were still plenty of mental errors and dumb penalties.  How many illegal formation penalties can we have from Ts lining up too far back?  We blew two time outs in the first quarter.

2.  For years, people clamored for a switch to a 3-4 defense as if it would solve all our problems.  Clearly after today, it's not proven true.  While I know we needed 3-4 DL to stock the roster, I did not see us sign any true dominators.  That showed today because we weren't able to really stop the run.  While Josh Allen got an early sack, we didn't do a good job pressuring the QB.  Much like in the preseason game against the Browns, we had difficulty defending short passes outside, and compounded that by giving up deeper passes.  Cooks was the one guy who could beat us deep. and we let him do it twice (More on this later).  The bottom line is we are a long way from being solid defensively.

3.  I thought the secondary would be an area of comparative strength for us with the infusion of speed.  But I didn't imagine how poorly the team would be in terms of playing the ball.  Griffin made a great play on the ball early in the game, but dropped an INT on the first drive that could have changed the game for us.  We can't afford to NOT make a play like that.  Lots of people were upset that Wingard started ahead of Andre Cisco.  It appears they were right.  There were several times he appeared out of position and beaten, even if the completion wasn't made-like when he was beaten badly by the TE down the right side on an incomplete pass.

4.  What will it take for our receivers to consistently catch passes that are catchable?  There were, what, three dropped passes in the first quarter alone?  Granted, some of those passes were a little behind the receiver, but all of them hit the receivers in the hands.  

5.  During the preseason, I had some concern that there was offensive imbalance.  That cooncern crept up again, as TL had some 51 passes, and there was a stretch early on where they had 7 passes and zero runs.  Penalties had much to do with the imbalance early, and then it got exacerbated when the team fell behind.  But the team has to stop killing itself with penalties that put them behind schedule, and then they have to have more offensive balance, especially against teams with superior pass rushes like Denver and Arizona coming up.

6.  I know this will invariably sound like "So Mrs. Lincoln, aside from your husband being shot in the head, how did you like the play?"  But all of the penalties aside, the O-line did not play too, too badly.  Considering we were constantly in long yardage and behind throughout the game, I thought the protection was decent, only giving up a sack.  I thought they also did a decent job opening holes in the running game, considering those early holding calls were complete fiction.

7.  Rookie Watch:

a.  Trevor Lawrence-I thought he was okay today, all things considering.  He had moments where he looked really good, like the TD passes to Manhertz and Chark.  He climbed the pocket well, and moved while looking to pass.  There were times it looked like he could have run, and most rookie passers similarly situated might have run, but he kept his eyes downfield to his credit.  He had moments where he didn't look so good, as would be expected by a rookie making his first start.  The numbers show he threw 3 INTs.  I think the first two picks were the direct result of being in long yardage due to penalties and him trying to play hero ball.  That was especially true on the first INT where he scrambled to his left and tried throwing against his body and overthrew the receiver.  The second INT was set up by a holding penalty that negated a decent play, putting the team in long yardage.  I don't know what the hell happened on the 3rd INT.  As I said earlier, he suffered from some drops, but there were plays his accuracy was off.  All in all, I saw enough from him to be encouraged, but if his rookie inclinations to try to do too much are to be minimized, the team will have to reduce the penalties-actual or fictional.

b.  Travis Etienne- DNP-on IR.

c.  Tyson Campbell-Once again, the whole scouting report thing about him being unable to play the ball effectively reared its ugly head early on on that first deep pass to Brandon Cooks.  Once again he was in a position to possibly knock the ball down, and once again, he didn't/couldn't do it, and it flipped the field, leading to the first Texans' TD.  He i already one of the most frustrating Jaguars I've seen in a while.  I don't know how he can improve his awareness, but I hope Ash, Cullen, Meyer et al get it figured out fast.

d.  Walker Little-I did not see him play at all.

e.  Andre Cisco-I saw him play, but he did not stick out, aside from not being in the game when Wingard was inexplicably the starter.  I have to think he would have done a better job on the TE than Wingard, and I shudder to think of Wingard against Noah Fant next week.

f.  Jay Tufele-I don't know if he played.  I didn't see him.

g.  Jordan Smith-See above.

h.  Luke Farrell-see above.

8.  For all of the hype surrounding Agnew, he didn't make much of an impact.

9.  Speaking of special teams, Lambo missed a needed 55 yard FG.  Granted, a 55 yarder is no chip shot, but in order for us to win this year, he will have to make those.

10.  I think Urban Meyer and Company deserve some criticism for the way this game played out.  From the team's inability to line up properly to wasting two TOs in the first quarter, too many things looked like the results of a team not prepared.  We'll see how this team will bounce back, but there were too many ugly, sloppy moments in this game.  Lots of his critics have said that there aren't any directional schools or Northwesterns on the NFL schedule.  They are wrong.  The Jaguars are the directional school/homecoming opponents.  Shaking my head in dismay.

11.  Bottom line-Aside from the flashes from Lawrence, there wasn't much to like in this performance.  As vastly outplayed and outcoached as this team was today, the level of competition will step up a couple of levels in the next couple of weeks.  The penalties that weighed this team down like an anchor will have to disappear if this team is to have any balance.  Otherwise, the pass rush will be far more of a problem for Trevor Lawrence than it was this week, resulting in far fewer of these positive flashes.

1. The penalties were a problem, real or phantom. That just can't happen. 

2. I had a feeling that this team was so focused on stopping the run in the offseason, that the pass defense was gonna suffer as a result. When you stack the box to make sure the opposing runners are contained, you leave the secondary in man to man coverage. I hated several of the moves we made in the secondary during the offseason as well. We signed Griffin to be a "shut down" CB, but no one took into consideration that Seattle had the 2nd worst pass defense in the NFL in 2020. How is this an upgrade? We drafted Tyson Campbell and his one big knock was that he had trouble tracking the ball in the air. That has reared it's ugly head on more than one occasion this year. We traded Sidney Jones for basically some "magic beans," even though he was our best CB last season, when healthy and in a move that baffled the entire fan base, Wingard was chosen to start the game. I have said that he is quite possibly, the most undisciplined player I have ever seen in the NFL. He plays like an indy car with no steering wheel and the gas pump stuck all the way to the floor. All of these factors, contributed to making Tyrod Taylor look like a Pro Bowl QB in this game. At this point, I don't even know what can be done to fix it. If this team can make Taylor look that good, what will happen when Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen and Matt Stafford face us? I don't really blame the 3-4 scheme, I blame the coaches for not recognizing that we don't have the talent to make it work. We have zero pass rush other than Allen and we don't have corners who can hold their own in man to man coverage. When you can't do those two things, you shouldn't be in a 3-4 scheme. 

3. Unfortunately, I feared this would happen. See #2 above. 

4. I'm not so much worried about the dropped passes. Our receivers were used to catching "off-speed" passes from the carousel of QB's we've played in the last couple of years. Now we've brought in the NFL equivalent to Justin Verlander and it's gonna take our receivers time to adjust to catching "fastballs." D.J. Chark has been injured all of the preseason, so it might take him the longest to adjust. He wasn't able to develop any chemistry with Lawrence in game situations. I am confident that by game 4, the drops we saw in this game will be a thing of the past though. 

5. Again, I don't know if this is gonna change. Urban Meyer isn't used to trailing in games especially as bad as we were getting blown out. At Ohio State, in the very few times it happened, he would panic and abandon the run. Well, we fell behind so early, that Meyer panicked very early and it made things even worse. Making a rookie QB like Trevor throw 51 times in his very first game is ridiculous! The worst possible thing you can do to a young QB is make him do too much, too fast. If this is a precursor for what is to come, Lawrence will have a "ragged out" arm by the time he is 25. There has to be more balance within the offense. Robinson has to have way more than 5 carries. There is no way, Carlos Hyde should get more carries than Robinson. 

6. Agreed, but remember, this was the Texans. Without J.J. Watt, they don't really have a pass rush. 

7a. Trevor played like a rookie who was forced to throw 51 times in a blowout loss. There will be speed bumps with this kid, but I still think he will be elite. It's just gonna take time. 

7b. DNP

7c. More of the same. This pick was a mistake. 

7d. I cannot believe he wasn't activated for this game. 

7e. He should've started the game. 

7f. Did he play?

7g. Did he play?

7h. Did he play?

8. Agreed.

9. Agreed. 

10. I think the Urban Meyer experiment will be short lived. This team is bad and Urban Meyer does not like losing and he's not used to it. I think he rides off into the sunset after the season is over, if not earlier. He's not gonna want to stay and tarnish his legacy. 

11. This is gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG season.

(09-12-2021, 08:36 PM)surfon Wrote: This game reminded me so much of watching this team last year.  We just overall sucked again.

Are we ever going to pressure the qb on defense cosistently again?

Imo thats the biggest worry and until we can we keep losing.

This looked like a Maroney Baloney game with a taller more talented QB. 

Thanks for the positives Bullseye. Honestly this franchise is bad really bad. I know it maybe one game but it is made infinitely  worse by Tebow Circus, NFLPA Nonsense, Cutesy QB Competition, wasted preseason plays on a traded QB and damaged good drafting. This has way too many #becausejaguars hallmarks. 

I really, really hope we see unexpected break throughs but dang this is a team without talent. Thankfully we have a QB with potential, but they gave the guy very limited assistance.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Ultimately we still suck and that ain't gonna change for a while. 0 chance of us being in contention for the playoffs, but that was always likely the case.

It's gonna be about seeing Lawrence develop. Today he showed how live his arm is. He also showed a worrying lack of accuracy and poor decision making at times..hopefully those things will improve as the season goes on.

Coaching staff were dreadful today. Most unprepared team I've seen week 1 probably ever... Which says it all considering the [BLEEP] we've had to put up with over the years.

Oh well, we knew it would be a learning curve for all, let's just hope we see some improvement.

This time last year I was buzzing after winning week 1 and we all know how that turned out. Let's hope this game is a similar anomaly in the season. I doubt it though.