Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Meyer falling apart already?

(09-14-2021, 11:30 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I'm not connected, but this rumor seems absurd after 1 game and seems to feed right into the anti-Urban crowd mentality both locally and nationally of which I was apart of prior to his hiring.  This seems like someone in the media wants it to be true and takes the available scant evidence (i.e. we lost bad, he walked away from Florida, he's a college coach used to steamrolling the competition now making the jump to the NFL which has many examples of not working out, etc...) and pushes the agenda and then others on social media either wanting it to be true or fearful of it being true getting caught up and continuing to push it and share it.  This looks to me like the overreaction of overreactions to a week 1 result in the NFL.  My two cents.

I agree with this. I was not onboard with this hire. I have done my share of bashing, but once he is our coach I hope for success. He hasn't done a hellavu lot to instill any confidence to this point but I seriously doubt much of it is accurate.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-14-2021, 11:41 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 11:30 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I'm not connected, but this rumor seems absurd after 1 game and seems to feed right into the anti-Urban crowd mentality both locally and nationally of which I was apart of prior to his hiring.  This seems like someone in the media wants it to be true and takes the available scant evidence (i.e. we lost bad, he walked away from Florida, he's a college coach used to steamrolling the competition now making the jump to the NFL which has many examples of not working out, etc...) and pushes the agenda and then others on social media either wanting it to be true or fearful of it being true getting caught up and continuing to push it and share it.  This looks to me like the overreaction of overreactions to a week 1 result in the NFL.  My two cents.

I agree with this. I was not onboard with this hire. I have done my share of bashing, but once he is our coach I hope for success. He hasn't done a hellavu lot to instill any confidence to this point but I seriously doubt much of it is accurate.

This is almost exactly the way I see it. Whatever the cause, he is widely hated but I'll continue to hope he's successful as long as he's the coach. The rumors are PROBABLY equal parts, speculation, wishful thinking and outright guessing.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-14-2021, 11:41 AM)Jagwired Wrote:

I feel the same way. I hate losing! I wanna have a successful franchise, but he hasn't done anything to make me confident about the future though, other than drafting Lawrence. As far as the rumors, I'm not gonna totally discount them. 1. A lot of people on here have been talking about Dilla for years and how connected he was with the team, so I started following him. He is without a doubt, much more in tune to the inner workings of the Jags than any other "insider" out there. 2. Nothing surprises me with Meyer. I know he hates losing and he's not used to it. When he was coaching here in Ohio, he did some weird stuff. He has a reputation of cutting and running for whatever reason. With it being a job opening at a celebrated program like USC and Meyer being so successful in college, I can see it happening. He just looks uncomfortable and out of place in the NFL. The look on his face does not appear to be the look of a happy man. It looks like pure regret.

(09-14-2021, 11:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 11:41 AM)Jagwired Wrote: I agree with this. I was not onboard with this hire. I have done my share of bashing, but once he is our coach I hope for success. He hasn't done a hellavu lot to instill any confidence to this point but I seriously doubt much of it is accurate.

I feel the same way. I hate losing! I wanna have a successful franchise, but he hasn't done anything to make me confident about the future though, other than drafting Lawrence. As far as the rumors, I'm not gonna totally discount them. 1. A lot of people on here have been talking about Dilla for years and how connected he was with the team, so I started following him. He is without a doubt, much more in tune to the inner workings of the Jags than any other "insider" out there. 2. Nothing surprises me with Meyer. I know he hates losing and he's not used to it. When he was coaching here in Ohio, he did some weird stuff. He has a reputation of cutting and running for whatever reason. With it being a job opening at a celebrated program like USC and Meyer being so successful in college, I can see it happening. He just looks uncomfortable and out of place in the NFL. The look on his face does not appear to be the look of a happy man. It looks like pure regret.

Maybe he's right, but the above looks like a clinic in confirmation bias.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 12:46 PM by CanDoBetter. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't know about these rumors. Why would Dilla be connected to the new regime? Is he Tony's boyfriend or what? Besides, if it's true it's Bevell Meyer's clashing with instead of Cullen then I don't know what to say. The offense wasn't very good on Sunday but they were still better than the defense.

EDIT: If it's about the penalties I'm completely on Team Meyer...

(09-14-2021, 10:52 AM)Jagwired Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1437784440911060992

Dude sounds like he’s pushing an agenda.

(09-14-2021, 12:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 10:52 AM)Jagwired Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1437784440911060992

Dude sounds like he’s pushing an agenda.

You need to look at his timeline when Urban was rumored and then hired. Also listen to the Bold Take podcast around the same time, especially the Denny Thompson episode.

Dilla was insanely fanatical when it came to Urban and routinely blasted anyone who pointed out legitimate concerns about the hire. It's the exact opposite of how you think.

(09-14-2021, 01:06 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 12:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dude sounds like he’s pushing an agenda.

You need to look at his timeline when Urban was rumored and then hired. Also listen to the Bold Take podcast around the same time, especially the Denny Thompson episode.

Dilla was insanely fanatical when it came to Urban and routinely blasted anyone who pointed out legitimate concerns about the hire. It's the exact opposite of how you think.
Thank you.

This is the reason it's alarming, to say the least.

(09-14-2021, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 01:06 PM)Upper Wrote: You need to look at his timeline when Urban was rumored and then hired. Also listen to the Bold Take podcast around the same time, especially the Denny Thompson episode.

Thank you.

It's really only alarming if you want Meyer to stay here. I'm in the Fail Fast camp, and in this case Week 2 would be just fine with me.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-14-2021, 01:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Thank you.

It's really only alarming if you want Meyer to stay here. I'm in the Fail Fast camp, and in this case Week 2 would be just fine with me.
I obviously want Meyer to succeed but if he is going to dip like many believe, I agree it should be much sooner than later.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 02:35 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Urban 'resigns' after week 10 citing health concerns, Bevell named interim. Meyer 'recovers', takes USC job. No one will be angry about this except possibly Jags fans. The national narrative will be that he left a historically crap situation for a prime college situation. Does anyone on here truly believe that Meyer would be coaching the Jags if the USC job had been open this past spring?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I think we'll know Sunday whether he's getting his act together. If we see the same old mistakes and the same old playbook, it's going to be a long 7 months until we get the overall first pick again.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 04:24 PM by Jag88.)

I think if people can put up with marrone for 2 extra years after he should have been gone, the same people can maybe not jump off the bridge just one game into a coaching career.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 04:48 PM by jaglyn. Edited 1 time in total.)

The sports media hacks think they have nothing to lose by ripping the Jags and Jax, so they’re willing to take any outrageous story and run with it.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 05:51 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

Watched NFL network this morning and many highly respected people on there were Ripping Meyer. Yes the players are bad to mediocre but many issues pointed to Meyer and his staff

-Team Looked ill Prepared to PLay on Sunday
-Players lining up out of place more then several times
-Play calling especially on Offense was vanilla and just bland and boring. I know it's a young team but the offense was Stagnant outside of Lawrence running for his life and that Dj Chark play.
-Offensive Line & Coach bundle that Meyer decided to keep is just as bad. Albert Einstein once said, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Sounds accurate
-Insane amount of drive killing penalties. Bad teams beat themselves.
-Taking a rookie QB in his first NFL game, behind a mediocre line, then have him throw 51 times. I think the first 8 plays recorded on offense were all passes. What were they thinking?

This was a very bad coaching job as his debut. Lets see what week 2 brings.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-14-2021, 04:24 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I think if people can put up with marrone for 2 extra years after he should have been gone, the same people can  maybe not jump off the bridge just one game into a coaching career.

I’d give a blowie right now for a Marronie

(09-14-2021, 04:24 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I think if people can put up with marrone for 2 extra years after he should have been gone, the same people can  maybe not jump off the bridge just one game into a coaching career.
I think if people saw warning signs from Meyer and then those warning signs start to be validated, it warrants some of their statements.

(09-14-2021, 07:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I think if people saw warning signs from Meyer and then those warning signs start to be validated, it warrants some of their statements.

I'm taking some solace from the fact that it's not unusual for a new staff with a new QB on a previously crappy team to start slowly. In some cases it can take an entire season. But we need to start seeing *something* to signal it's getting turned around.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-14-2021, 08:15 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 07:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think if people saw warning signs from Meyer and then those warning signs start to be validated, it warrants some of their statements.

I'm taking some solace from the fact that it's not unusual for a new staff with a new QB on a previously crappy team to start slowly. In some cases it can take an entire season. But we need to start seeing *something* to signal it's getting turned around.

Simple improvement to start: less drops, more James Robinson, better pass coverage, stronger pocket, valuable acquisitions. 

Steady improvement is good enough for me. It was obvious this was going to be a losing season and the baseline has been set with the first game. Start moving up.