Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Settle down pitchfork and torch crowd. Meyer isn't going anywhere for the near future

Meyer was a recruiter. That's it - all he's known for, all he can do. He even admitted getting the team prepared wasn't his job.

What does he do for $12 million a year exactly? I mean other than blondes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

People need to stop going back 30 years to Jimmy Johnson for comparisons for Urban Meyer.

Yes, there are definite things he has done that are eye-raising and troubling, and you cannot pull the plug already.

But that was before some people on this board were born and in a completely different NFL era from offenses, defenses, Draft capital/salaries, and salary cap. Also they had the rewards of the Hershel Walker trade to turn that team around. Even if the returns of the Ramsey trade miraculously hit, that is still a completely different impact on team building/development.

(10-25-2021, 11:24 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Some are going to have egg on their face after this season..

A. If it implodes while being a dumpster fire, the naysayers can always have the "I told you so."

or

B. Meyer gets this team on a roll and the naysayers may have to swallow their pride and hope on board. I am choosing to be optimistic. If I am wrong I will have no problem coming forward and admitting that. Most on this board can't admit to their own BS

I have seen recent photo's that highly suggest Meyer has not, "lost the locker room" like so many reported. The effort they put in London speaks to that.

I think everyone WANTS option B to happen.

I have seen little to nothing to convince me option B WILL happen. In fact option A looks more likely to me at the moment.

Here is the thing. Option A is not the worst case. It is over quickly and we can move on to a superior candidate under a real GM.

Imagine option C:
Urban Meyer does OK starting next year, never quite gets it. We hover between 6 and 10 wins a year, a few playoff wins maybe. Clear improvement, but also clearly limited. No real chance at the Superbowl. This condition could go for many years…

Before you know it, we have wasted Lawrence’s rookie contract on a weak Coach/ GM. Lawrence is dragging a poorly constructed team to the playoffs, but can’t advance against better overall rosters and competent coaching.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 04:07 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I agree about Lawrence’s rookie contract. I think next season and the year after we are in ‘win now’ mode. I just hope they keep the kid and he doesn’t want out like some of our players in the past.

(10-24-2021, 03:55 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 10:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The line looks better because Lawrence is good.

You got yours before the pandemic then, mine's sitting on a ship of California waiting to be unloaded.

I'm new to this site and I gotta say that you two are odd choices for moderators.  You're anything but moderate in your passionate defense of the idea that every single thing in Jaguarland sucks, including the curtains.  Of course, I'm assuming that the goal of this site is to curate a collection of Jaguars enthusiasts.  The goal may actually be to create a community of bitter, sarcastic and depressed internet loners.  In which case keep kicking goals.  You're doing a Crackerjack job.

As surprising as it may be, mods are people too and hold opinions that they express in various ways.

There's no forum rule that opinions have to be positive. I tend to be optimistic myself but the history of the team makes it difficult at times so I understand the criticisms and frequently join in.

It's ok to express contrary views if you have 'em, just be prepared to defend them and don't get bent out of shape if people don't agree.

The purpose of the forum isn't to recruit new fans, you gotta figure that out for yourself. The purpose is to give anyone who's interested in the team (one way or the other) a space to discuss their opinions.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-25-2021, 10:13 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 10:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because Moderation is not about being Suzie Sunshine and moderators aren't required to applaud stupid moves by the organization.

If someone had suggested you be a Suzie Sunshine or a hapless toadie then I guess you, at least, would have a point.  If you're addressing my observation then it was you are anything but moderate in your moderation.  My further point was that immoderate moderators are more likely to foster a culture that mirrors their own tastes, in this example a site where people are encouraged to hate on the Jags and UM in particular, rather than a community of people who share collegiately.  If that's your goal, a whinge fest, then good work.

I could care less, actually.  I'm just here to pick up rumors and snippets of info.  The hate for all things UM is good for a few chuckles on the side.

As long as the posters' contributions are within the scope of the code of conduct, whether hating on the team or not, why would a mod need to intervene?

Can you show where any mod has punished or even discouraged a poster for not hating on the team or management? I'm not seeking to defend mods; I'm genuinely curious how you arrived at the conclusion that positivity is discouraged here.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Yeah! Where are those mods?!?! Especially their almighty Bunny ruler!

I come for the flailing and stay for the stupidity lolol

Not disappointed
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(10-25-2021, 03:43 PM)rufftime Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 11:24 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Some are going to have egg on their face after this season..

A.  If it implodes while being a dumpster fire, the naysayers can always have the "I told you so."

or

B. Meyer gets this team on a roll and the naysayers may have to swallow their pride and hope on board.  I am choosing to be optimistic.  If I am wrong I will have no problem coming forward and admitting that.  Most on this board can't admit to their own BS

I have seen recent photo's that highly suggest Meyer has not, "lost the locker room" like so many reported.  The effort they put in London speaks to that.

I think everyone  WANTS option B to happen.

I have seen little to nothing to convince me option B WILL happen.  In fact option A looks more likely to me at the moment.

Here is the thing.  Option A is not the worst case.  It is over quickly and we can move on to a superior candidate under a real GM.

Imagine option C:
Urban Meyer does OK starting next year, never quite gets it.  We hover between 6 and 10 wins a year, a few playoff wins maybe.  Clear improvement, but also clearly limited.  No real chance at the Superbowl.  This condition could go for many years…

Before you know it, we have wasted Lawrence’s rookie contract on a weak Coach/ GM.  Lawrence is dragging a poorly constructed team to the playoffs, but can’t advance against better overall rosters and competent coaching.

I'm confident that TLaw has talent, and that talent will hide blemishes in coaching, especially early on. That may afford Urbz and/or Baalke time to acclimate to the NFL and build the roster according to their plans. Much like Belichick early on was not a successful coach. Brady came along, the Pats enjoyed stability and success, and now Belichick is one of the better coaches when it comes to scheme, player acquisition and roster management.

I don't think anyone wants or foresees the first option happening, and even if it does, I don't see "blow it up" happening until a second straight year of option A happening. Something catastrophic would have to happen for that to occur, though, so I'd rather not even think about how we get there...

Urban Meyer: No time for excuses, Jaguars ready to build on success (news4jax.com)

More red meat for the UDS crew to pick over.

Good to see another guy Urbs prematurely evacuated, Al Woods, getting mentions on MNF. Guess we didnt need him either.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 11:06 PM by Jag88. Edited 2 times in total.)

^^ The run defense has been surprisingly decent. The problem is getting some pressure on the qb and super blown coverages

Al woods offsides. Guess it's good the jags got rid of him. Could cost the hawks the game

(10-25-2021, 04:45 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 10:13 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: If someone had suggested you be a Suzie Sunshine or a hapless toadie then I guess you, at least, would have a point.  If you're addressing my observation then it was you are anything but moderate in your moderation.  My further point was that immoderate moderators are more likely to foster a culture that mirrors their own tastes, in this example a site where people are encouraged to hate on the Jags and UM in particular, rather than a community of people who share collegiately.  If that's your goal, a whinge fest, then good work.

I could care less, actually.  I'm just here to pick up rumors and snippets of info.  The hate for all things UM is good for a few chuckles on the side.

As long as the posters' contributions are within the scope of the code of conduct, whether hating on the team or not, why would a mod need to intervene?

Can you show where any mod has punished or even discouraged a poster for not hating on the team or management? I'm not seeking to defend mods; I'm genuinely curious how you arrived at the conclusion that positivity is discouraged here.

I have actually for disagreeing and arguing with a certain moderator on this board... I had warnings put on me and was not allowed to post for a certain amount of time...

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 11:49 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

I hope we see Cisco more and he plays well. That would be amazing and would help the defense. Anyways big game next weekend vs the hawks

(10-25-2021, 11:45 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 04:45 PM)Mikey Wrote: As long as the posters' contributions are within the scope of the code of conduct, whether hating on the team or not, why would a mod need to intervene?

I have actually for disagreeing and arguing with a certain moderator on this board... I had warnings put on me and was not allowed to post for a certain amount of time...

LOL

Your only two warnings ever on this board were from me. 
I just went and looked at them.

They were both run-of-the-mill-textbook profanity warnings. 

Get over yourself. Just follow the very basic rules and stop whining when you don't.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021, 08:21 AM by Mikey.)

(10-25-2021, 10:54 PM)Jag88 Wrote: ^^ The run defense has been surprisingly decent. The problem is getting some pressure on the qb and super blown coverages

Al woods offsides. Guess it's good the jags got rid of him. Could cost the hawks the game

....when did Woods convert to OL? Wink 

Watching that game made me wonder if we'll actually see a sack this Sunday. Their line is capital-B Baaaaad. I believe NO doubled their season sack total last night.

(10-26-2021, 12:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 11:45 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: I have actually for disagreeing and arguing with a certain moderator on this board... I had warnings put on me and was not allowed to post for a certain amount of time...

LOL

Your only two warnings ever on this board were from me. 
I just went and looked at them.

They were both run-of-the-mill-textbook profanity warnings. 

Get over yourself. Just follow the very basic rules and stop whining when you don't.

@bloody fascist!@

(10-25-2021, 11:45 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 04:45 PM)Mikey Wrote: As long as the posters' contributions are within the scope of the code of conduct, whether hating on the team or not, why would a mod need to intervene?

You have two warnings in your history from over two years ago, both for profanity. Lay off the "I'm a victim" nonsense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-26-2021, 08:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 11:45 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: I have actually for disagreeing and arguing with a certain moderator on this board... I had warnings put on me and was not allowed to post for a certain amount of time...

You have two warnings in your history from over two years ago, both for profanity. Lay off the "I'm a victim" nonsense.

Moderators suck.  They're all evil.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-26-2021, 08:35 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 08:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You have two warnings in your history from over two years ago, both for profanity. Lay off the "I'm a victim" nonsense.

Moderators suck.  They're all evil.

Well, yes. But so are most of the posters.

(10-26-2021, 08:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 08:35 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Moderators suck.  They're all evil.

Well, yes. But so are most of the posters.

Yeah, but mods are even more suckier.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]