Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tension boiling over

(12-11-2021, 04:37 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 04:15 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: If what he said here is real....I'm all on board with Urbs!!!

This is the HC I want. I'd assume this is aimed at Bevell who has a offense which is putrid and is his track record. Cullen can be proud of his resume. Though at the same time Urb is to blame for hiring him.

At the same time Bevell has a track record at the NFL level from before this season. He's not a star because then he wouldn't work for the Jags but his offense was ok in Seattle and Detroit with Marvin Jones. Don't tell me it worked because he had Wilson and Stafford...

Even with Jeff Driskel starting 3 games and then rookie  David Blough starting the final 5 games of the 2019 season in place of Matthew Stafford ( back injury ),  the Lions had a realistic chance to win in 7 out of 8 games in the middle of the 4th QTR or later.  I thought Darrell Bevell did a very good job under the circumstance of the QB situation and other significant issues. Including, Marvin Jones missing the final 3 games with an ankle injury.  

My take on the Jaguars situation is even the very best Coordinators, Position Coaches, and overall staff wouldn't be enough to compensate for Urban Meyer remaining as Head Coach.  

With Meyer's baggage from.2021, it's going to be extremely difficult for the Jaguars to get high quality Assistant Coach candidates from elsewhere, if Meyer is retained.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It feels like Shad and Urbz are playing chicken with each other right now over guaranteed money in his undisclosed contract.

(12-11-2021, 12:20 PM)Upper Wrote: Honestly, this is more of a test of Shad's character than Urban's at this point. Urban has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he needs to be fired the second the season ends (if not earlier). There really is no more weighing or debating that needs to be done with him.

As a fan of the Jags since 95 I TOTALLY AGREE. Urban needs to be gone.

Here's the problem. Even if these reports are PATENTLY FALSE, nobody is coming here with Urban as HC. Not new assistants of any quality, not FAs, and we aren't retaining our few good players, either.

The trigger HAS to be pulled. This horse has two broken legs. We're done here. And I 100% believe ever single report.

If Urban is the coach, I'm no longer a fan of this team next year.

(12-11-2021, 11:21 PM)D6 Wrote: The approximate $50 to $60 million cost to fire Urban Meyer before or at the of this season is massive.  But the cost of retaining Meyer is far greater. For all practical purposes, Shad Khan has no choice other than getting Meyer permanently away from the Jaguars ASAP.

We know that but the question is, does Shad know that? I've never seen such a tone deaf and clueless owner.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-12-2021, 07:04 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 11:21 PM)D6 Wrote: The approximate $50 to $60 million cost to fire Urban Meyer before or at the of this season is massive.  But the cost of retaining Meyer is far greater. For all practical purposes, Shad Khan has no choice other than getting Meyer permanently away from the Jaguars ASAP.

We know that but the question is, does Shad know that? I've never seen such a tone deaf and clueless owner.

I believe Shad Khan knows what needs to be done.  The obstacle is Khan admitting by firing Urban Meyer that he made a massive mistake.  For someone as successful as Khan is in non-sports businesses,  admitting his judgment was wrong less than a year after hiring Meyer as Jaguars HC ( and giving Meyer power well beyond the HC role ), pulling the plug on Meyer will be difficult for him.  It might take those closest to Khan to convince him that he can't let Meyer continue in any capacity with the Jaguars beyond this season.

(12-12-2021, 08:25 AM)D6 Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 07:04 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: We know that but the question is, does Shad know that? I've never seen such a tone deaf and clueless owner.

I believe Shad Khan knows what needs to be done.  The obstacle is Khan admitting by firing Urban Meyer that he made a massive mistake.  For someone as successful as Khan is in non-sports businesses,  admitting his judgment was wrong less than a year after hiring Meyer as Jaguars HC ( and giving Meyer power well beyond the HC role ), pulling the plug on Meyer will be difficult for him.  It might take those closest to Khan to convince him that he can't let Meyer continue in any capacity with the Jaguars beyond this season.

I wish we'd get a report that Tony and Urbz got in a spat.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-12-2021, 01:07 AM)D6 Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 04:37 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: At the same time Bevell has a track record at the NFL level from before this season. He's not a star because then he wouldn't work for the Jags but his offense was ok in Seattle and Detroit with Marvin Jones. Don't tell me it worked because he had Wilson and Stafford...

Even with Jeff Driskel starting 3 games and then rookie  David Blough starting the final 5 games of the 2019 season in place of Matthew Stafford ( back injury ),  the Lions had a realistic chance to win in 7 out of 8 games in the middle of the 4th QTR or later.  I thought Darrell Bevell did a very good job under the circumstance of the QB situation and other significant issues. Including, Marvin Jones missing the final 3 games with an ankle injury.  

My take on the Jaguars situation is even the very best Coordinators, Position Coaches, and overall staff wouldn't be enough to compensate for Urban Meyer remaining as Head Coach.  

With Meyer's baggage from.2021, it's going to be extremely difficult for the Jaguars to get high quality Assistant Coach candidates from elsewhere, if Meyer is retained.

Thanks

I'm leaning towards this being a Jaguars problem rather than a problem with the coaches(except Meyer). I am a bit concerned about how bad Lawrence has been but hopefully that's a function of the turmoil. I'm afraid the problem's we're having is because he isn't good enough but I recognize that in that case there should be visible frustration from other players against him. I'm not seeing it(and definitely don't want to hear in July that local media knew all along but refused to report until national media did...).

The person Urban Meyer is a [BLEEP] so it's hard to know if he's just calling out underperformers or if he's deflecting responsibility. It looks like Khan thinks the first and most fans the second(with a dose of believing the first too).

(12-12-2021, 08:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 08:25 AM)D6 Wrote: I believe Shad Khan knows what needs to be done.  The obstacle is Khan admitting by firing Urban Meyer that he made a massive mistake.  For someone as successful as Khan is in non-sports businesses,  admitting his judgment was wrong less than a year after hiring Meyer as Jaguars HC ( and giving Meyer power well beyond the HC role ), pulling the plug on Meyer will be difficult for him.  It might take those closest to Khan to convince him that he can't let Meyer continue in any capacity with the Jaguars beyond this season.

I wish we'd get a report that Tony and Urbz got in a spat.

Urban Meyer has alienated Jaguars players, assistant coaches, fans, and probably many others with a connection to the Jaguars organization. It certainly wouldn't be surprising if he went over the line with Tony or does so in the foreseeable future.

(12-12-2021, 08:32 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 01:07 AM)D6 Wrote: Even with Jeff Driskel starting 3 games and then rookie  David Blough starting the final 5 games of the 2019 season in place of Matthew Stafford ( back injury ),  the Lions had a realistic chance to win in 7 out of 8 games in the middle of the 4th QTR or later.  I thought Darrell Bevell did a very good job under the circumstance of the QB situation and other significant issues. Including, Marvin Jones missing the final 3 games with an ankle injury.  

Thanks

I'm leaning towards this being a Jaguars problem rather than a problem with the coaches(except Meyer). I am a bit concerned about how bad Lawrence has been but hopefully that's a function of the turmoil. I'm afraid the problem's we're having is because he isn't good enough but I recognize that in that case there should be visible frustration from other players against him. I'm not seeing it(and definitely don't want to hear in July that local media knew all along but refused to report until national media did...).

The person Urban Meyer is a [BLEEP] so it's hard to know if he's just calling out underperformers or if he's deflecting responsibility. It looks like Khan thinks the first and most fans the second(with a dose of believing the first too).

The longer Urban Meyer is retained by the Jaguars, the more difficult it will be to undo damage that Meyer caused Trevor Lawrence in his rookie season. 

If Meyer is out of the picture for the 2022 season,   the next Jaguars HC can set a tone for professionalism and responsibility that will put Lawrence in a situation that will give the QB a chance to be highly successful over the long haul.

I hate to sound dramatic, but Khan retaining Urban will put the future of Trevor and this franchise into serious jeopardy

(12-12-2021, 08:25 AM)D6 Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 07:04 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: We know that but the question is, does Shad know that? I've never seen such a tone deaf and clueless owner.

Kahn doesn't appear to know anything about football, but his biggest drawback has always been his arrogance.  

I predict a quiet deal between the two.   In the next couple of weeks Meyer experiences chest pains during a game.  Upon consultation his doctor, he learns that continuing in the high stress environment of NFL coaching is putting his health at risk.  He announces that for the sake of his family, he's stepping away from the game.   Kahn regretfully accepts his "resignation" and appoints an interim coach to finish the season.   
Jaguars fans burst into spontaneous celebration.  Banana
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-12-2021, 08:59 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I hate to sound dramatic, but Khan retaining Urban will put the future of Trevor and this franchise into serious jeopardy

Sometimes the truth is dramatic.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

A generational QB is a terrible thing to waste.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2021, 10:39 AM by jagman. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2021, 09:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 08:25 AM)D6 Wrote: I believe Shad Khan knows what needs to be done.  The obstacle is Khan admitting by firing Urban Meyer that he made a massive mistake.  For someone as successful as Khan is in non-sports businesses,  admitting his judgment was wrong less than a year after hiring Meyer as Jaguars HC ( and giving Meyer power well beyond the HC role ), pulling the plug on Meyer will be difficult for him.  It might take those closest to Khan to convince him that he can't let Meyer continue in any capacity with the Jaguars beyond this season.

Kahn doesn't appear to know anything about football, but his biggest drawback has always been his arrogance.  

I predict a quiet deal between the two.   In the next couple of weeks Meyer experiences chest pains during a game.  Upon consultation his doctor, he learns that continuing in the high stress environment of NFL coaching is putting his health at risk.  He announces that for the sake of his family, he's stepping away from the game.   Kahn regretfully accepts his "resignation" and appoints an interim coach to finish the season.   
And then Khan sells the team and the new owner moves it to another city.  The Northeast major news networks and the NFL get what they want and Jags and fans are gone.  Everyone wins, right?

All season ( as in many previous seasons ) I tune in around 10 a.m. and listen to all of the reasons why TODAY is gonna be the day the Jags pull one out. The Titans will be without their star running back . Their QB is terrible. None of the other running backs have gained 300 yards this season. None of their receivers have many catches. The Titans have lost 2 in a row…..they can’t score points.

Then the game starts…………This terrible QB suddenly looks all-pro. Titan receivers gain huge separation from Jag defenders. Long passes result in completions or defensive penalties. The Titans running backs rip off huge gains and the Titans March easily down the field. Even during third and long situations, the Titans convert, or the Jags commit a serious penalty. The score is quickly 7-0 after a long scoring drive.

The Titans kick to the Jags……….We take over at the 25. Oops……Illegal Procedure……1st and 15. Two running plays gain a total of 4 yards……..3rd and 11……….Pass Complete for a first down! Oops………Holding penalty………and so on, and so forth!

(12-12-2021, 08:59 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I hate to sound dramatic, but Khan retaining Urban will put the future of Trevor and this franchise into serious jeopardy

(12-12-2021, 09:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Sometimes the truth is dramatic.

Yep, it's the truth.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(12-12-2021, 10:35 AM)jagman Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 09:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Kahn doesn't appear to know anything about football, but his biggest drawback has always been his arrogance.  

And then Khan sells the team and the new owner moves it to another city.  The Northeast major news networks and the NFL get what they want and Jags and fans are gone.  Everyone wins, right?

And keeping Meyer means that the team continues languishing in chaos and failure, fans stop coming to games and buying merchandise, Khan loses money and moves the team. You can predict doom and gloom either way. At least by admitting his mistake, firing everyone and starting over, we get a short period of happiness.

Fire him and put josh mcdaniels or some real nfl coach in ASAP.