Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PSA: Jaguars Press Conference at 11:50 AM

(02-05-2022, 05:46 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 05:39 PM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: That way they can be sure they are actually getting hired because they are the best candidate...oh wait no they won't be they will be getting hired because their boss is being charged to hire the other guy. 

The very first thing that needs to happen is people need to stop assuming everything is based on skin color. Just because a black person doesn't get hired doesn't mean it's racist. The second thing in my opinion that needs to happen is a there needs to be a way to get as close to equal representation allowed. Meaning at the ground floor of hiring the NFL needs to have (and I know these numbers aren't accurate but should give an idea) like 100 coaching candidates every year. In order to be included in the 100 you need to have graduated and gotten a coaching degree. Or been a former player at either college or pros. Have some criteria that needs to have been met in order to get selected into the 100. This 100 will be the only "minority" quota part. So like 50% needs to be minorities. Then teams can employ new coaches out of those 100. So like assistants or strength coaches, whatever would be given to a freshly graduated coach would go to these newbies. Then as they got more experience they advance. After a few years the NFL coaching ranks would be made up of these individuals (because a new 100 are added every year). 

Once a team goes to fill a big time coordinator or HC role they need to interview the to 16 teams candidates. For the HC role the top 16 from each major coordinator position. Then narrow it down from there. If your team is in the upper half of the league, you get to interview, that should eliminate all need for Rooney rules and once times because over the course of time the NFL will fill up with more and more minorities. 

This isn't perfect, but I feel it would be better than paying owners to hire minorities and better than forcing them to do fake interviews just to satisfy a rule.

Quotas for hiring have never gone over well in any field. If you're placing quotas on hiring then you're even worse off than monetarily incentivizing the hiring of minorities.

It's like I said, if the NFL wants to make it happen, and I don't know that they do, then there needs to be a cost and reward system put into place. With my idea if all the teams have the same minority representation then no one ends up paying anything, but if that number is still too white then any team can come along and hire a bunch of minorities and reap the benefits. The system eventually reaches a state of equilibrium where no team is profiting from it because they all have reasonably hired the qualified black candidates, and no teams are likely to give up on winning to get a few dollars a year extra hiring people that are unqualified to do the jobs.

But the problem is then teams are hiring the right amount of minorities, but they don't have any positions of actual authority. I think with my method you're still bringing in good coaches and if there are limited minorities it could be because they simply aren't applying at the initial 100 step
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 06:12 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 4 times in total.)

I want Baalke fired as well. But if it meant Baalke actually helped finding talent and bringing in talent to help this team to a SB or the team firing Baalke and not getting talent to a SB I think some would pick Baalke and no SB or finding talent. Hopefully he has learned over these years and from mistakes and I like what he did last year in the draft if he had input there. Some act like they know him personally and he slept with their mom or ole lady lol

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 06:24 PM by JaggedSioux. Edited 1 time in total.)

Exactly. Freeing up Baalke to concentrate on talent evaluation and allowing the new evp to handle the larger spectrum of contracts, salary cap, overall operations and being the conduit to Khan seems like a good plan to put in place. Pederson and Baalke will need to collaborate, as they said time and again. That last spot on the roster could be a tug-of-war between the two, but if the overall consensus is to do what's best for the Jags, cooler heads will prevail.

(02-05-2022, 06:09 PM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 05:46 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Quotas for hiring have never gone over well in any field. If you're placing quotas on hiring then you're even worse off than monetarily incentivizing the hiring of minorities.

It's like I said, if the NFL wants to make it happen, and I don't know that they do, then there needs to be a cost and reward system put into place. With my idea if all the teams have the same minority representation then no one ends up paying anything, but if that number is still too white then any team can come along and hire a bunch of minorities and reap the benefits. The system eventually reaches a state of equilibrium where no team is profiting from it because they all have reasonably hired the qualified black candidates, and no teams are likely to give up on winning to get a few dollars a year extra hiring people that are unqualified to do the jobs.

But the problem is then teams are hiring the right amount of minorities, but they don't have any positions of actual authority. I think with my method you're still bringing in good coaches and if there are limited minorities it could be because they simply aren't applying at the initial 100 step

So how do you enforce the quotas?

Kevin O Connell has no business being a HC before Byron Leftwich

(02-05-2022, 05:07 PM)Upper Wrote: That's a scary quote. Everyone knows we need Baalke spending more time on FA.

https://twitter.com/Tanked4Trevor/status...5624921094

Nice now we get to look forward to not signing anybody in FA until day 3 when there's only tier 3/4 FAs left and we'll still have to grossly overpay for them.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 06:45 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-05-2022, 06:09 PM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 05:46 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Quotas for hiring have never gone over well in any field. If you're placing quotas on hiring then you're even worse off than monetarily incentivizing the hiring of minorities.

We really ought to have a separate thread to discus this.  

I think they messed up changing the rule to interview 2 minorities.  Before, you had a potential coach being interviewed  to fulfill the rule.  Like someone said, I’d be wondering if I was being called in because they need to feel a rule or not.  Now you’ve got 2 minorities wondering that.  This year 18 black men will be wondering the same thing.  When does it work? When you force teams to interview 4 or 5?  That’s silly.  Idk how you encourage someone to hire a specific person or race.  That seems wrong too. Most people that hire want the best possible candidate.  I don’t think you can incentivize hiring minorities.   Everything about this seems to come off as “ok mr minority,  we’ll throw you a bone”.  It doesn’t seem genuine.  Seems like one could or should take more offense.  Oh you hired me cause I’m black and you got “x”?  

Idk how you “solve” the problem, if that is even the right word.   But if the NFL set a minimum of interviews needed in general, say 4 or 5, more minorities would get an interview anyways and they wouldn’t be wondering if the “black quota” was reached. You’re not forcing a team to interview anyone.  May the best man win.

(02-05-2022, 06:38 PM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Kevin O Connell has no business being a HC before Byron Leftwich

Meh. They're about equally qualified although I think Leftwich should get a spot first for the diversity issue.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-05-2022, 01:37 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Pederson says he plans to call the offensive plays

Like this a lot!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(02-05-2022, 06:38 PM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Kevin O Connell has no business being a HC before Byron Leftwich

According to you.

You probably would have said the same thing about Zac Taylor and Sean McVay.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 07:07 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(02-05-2022, 02:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Pederson was the correct choice. I can't remember the last time the jags got a coach or player that was my #1 pick of the bunch. Very exciting.

+1

(02-05-2022, 02:58 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: To be honest, I think the Rooney Rule does more harm than good.  If I was a black head coach or front office candidate, I would walk into every interview wondering “Are they legitimately interested in me, or am I just here to comply with the Rooney Rule?”  I would prefer there not to be a Rooney Rule so that I know that if  I’m asked for an interview, it’s because the team has legitimate interest.

(This is in reference to the process of hiring an EVP in general and hiring Spielman in particular.)

Agreed, I understand their meaning behind it but in practice it's a massive waste of time for all parties.

I do not have a solution but do know forcing any owner to interview "X type" of player is never going to to work out.   These are billionaires who are use to getting their way.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Here are some Texans' perspectives on the Pederson hire.

https://youtu.be/PO9hXal4k9Q

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-05-2022, 07:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Here are some Texans' perspectives on the Pederson hire.

It’s so satisfying to see fans of another NFL franchise point to the Jaguars and say “Why couldn’t we have done that?!?”  I could get used to this.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 07:55 PM by Jag88.)

Why didnt we do that? I'm use to saying that when I see teams draft players like chase. Jags never seem to go after those type of players on offense in the past.

(02-05-2022, 06:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I want Baalke fired as well.  But if it meant Baalke actually helped  finding talent and bringing in talent to help this team to a SB or the team firing Baalke and not getting talent to a SB I think some would pick Baalke and no SB or finding talent.  Hopefully he has learned over these years and from mistakes and I like what he did last year in the draft if he had input there.  Some act like they know him personally and he slept with their mom or ole lady lol

I’m fine with putting the torch and pitchfork away if he’s a changed man and can truly help the team.  I just find it a little disturbing that he’s been roasted in the media for the last six weeks, and not one person from the NFL, be it a player, coach, manger, owner or media personality has publicly come to his defense.

(02-05-2022, 07:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Here are some Texans' perspectives on the Pederson hire.

https://youtu.be/PO9hXal4k9Q

Wait wait wait wait! McCown has no coaching experience? and they are thinking about making him the HC???? what??????? I thought he had 1 or 2 year of coaching experience at least! I hope they hire him lol
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(02-05-2022, 07:54 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Why didnt we do that? I'm use to saying that when I see teams draft players like chase. Jags never seem to go after those type of players on offense in the past.

You should have seen the tantrum I threw when we drafted Bortles 4th overall and dropped Khalil Mack into the Raiders’ lap at 5th overall.

It is an objectively great hire for the Jaguars. I did not think that he would be available for Jacksonville, but I sure am glad that he was. The signing of Rick Spielman as EVP could put the pieces in place to become a competent NFL franchise. Would also like to see Tony take a more prominent role with the franchise.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(02-05-2022, 07:45 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote:

It’s so satisfying to see fans of another NFL franchise point to the Jaguars and say “Why couldn’t we have done that?!?”  I could get used to this.

I remember in the early days of the franchise, when we were in the AFC Central, we used to get statements like that all the time from Bengals and Browns fans.

Yes, it felt good.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-05-2022, 08:02 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 07:54 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Why didnt we do that? I'm use to saying that when I see teams draft players like chase. Jags never seem to go after those type of players on offense in the past.

You should have seen the tantrum I threw when we drafted Bortles 4th overall and dropped Khalil Mack into the Raiders’ lap at 5th overall.

Lol I bet. I was upset when we drafted d-line Bryan when we should have been working on offense by then.