Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 2: Colts vs Jags

(09-14-2022, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Look, you need to go read into the definitions of the following three words.

Objectives

Goals

Expectations

They are all different. You don't seem to understand that. 

Why should I "expect" wins when I can so easily give you that list of broken parts on this football team that need fixing? 
Sure, the "objective" is to win a championship.
The "goal" is to win your division so you have a shot at the objective. 
The "expectation" is tempered by all of the stumbling blocks between where you are right now and your goal.

And OF COURSE I think they will fix some of these issues.
Probably just enough to meet my personal expectation of around 6 or 7 wins.
I expect that because that list is long and they realistically just won't be able, try as they might, to fix all of those things this season.

I just said the goal is to win the division in the post above you, lmoa.  I mean you can still not win the division and win a championship.   So the objective is to win the SB?  Really?  Damn man I thought the objective was to just keep improving and keep it close, oh wait.  There is certain games I expect us to win.  This is one of them and I would bet anything that Doug and the players also expect to win this game.

Thank you for confirming beyond doubt that you have no idea what these three words mean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-14-2022, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I just said the goal is to win the division in the post above you, lmoa.  I mean you can still not win the division and win a championship.   So the objective is to win the SB?  Really?  Damn man I thought the objective was to just keep improving and keep it close, oh wait.  There is certain games I expect us to win.  This is one of them and I would bet anything that Doug and the players also expect to win this game.

Thank you for confirming beyond doubt that you have no idea what these three words mean.

Lol

(09-14-2022, 11:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thank you for confirming beyond doubt that you have no idea what these three words mean.

Lol

You can flip-flop goals vs objectives. Works either way. 

Make the goal the broader scope : i.e. Super Bowl
Make the objective more obtainable/narrower scope : i.e. beat enough divisional opponents to compete for division title

The one you are royally screwing the pooch on is expectations.

(09-14-2022, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol

You can flip-flop goals vs objectives. Works either way. 

Make the objective more obtainable/narrower scope : i.e. beat enough divisional opponents to compete for division title

Do you think the players and coaches expect to win this game Sunday against the Colts?

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 11:37 AM by Caldrac.)

(09-14-2022, 10:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Caldrac Wrote: They'll win this one. The gameplan is going to reflect a clear adjustment from the imbalances and issues we saw in the opener. More aggressiveness from Caldwell on defense to enable Allen to hit the QB. 

What exactly did Caldwell do last week that prevented Allen from hitting the QB?

We sure as heck are not going to blitz more when they have a top 3 RB in the NFL.
He rushed with his base four and kept the linebackers away from the LOS. Cited this a few times all over the place on the forum.

Very vanilla approach defensively. In obvious passing situations they can shift/stack one side of the LOS to give Allen an opportunity to get away from a free blocker.

This is the game to do it. It's Matt Ryan. Not Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen.

You can still blitz and not get burned on the ground. Fully expect screen efforts made in this one and I fully expect Walker to be looking for another INT.

To sit back though and let Ryan have all day to throw it would be a massive error. You're going to have to bring some stunts and overstack.

Reich's going to be aggressive early. Just a feeling. Especially on 1st down. Caldwell has to be ready for it. Fatukasi, Oluokon and Lloyd should be swarming to Taylor. They still need to do some things scheme wise with Allen and Walker though.

Again, base four could not cut it against Wentz and Ryan is not going to break tackles and then run downfield and break ankles. You have to get after him and you have to put him on his [BLEEP].

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-14-2022, 11:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You can flip-flop goals vs objectives. Works either way. 

Do you think the players and coaches expect to win this game Sunday against the Colts?

I'm sure some expect a win. I'm sure others have doubts after their failures on Sunday. 

Doesn't matter, and it isn't the point. 

I have the luxury of an outside perspective. I can draw up my expectations reasonably without personal investment in the outcome beyond buying tickets and sitting in the stands sipping a beer. 

Players are immersed in it with a coach likely instilling confidence alongside his instruction. 
The coaches need to have some confidence that they are effectively improving their players' performance. 
Totally different. 

I expect them to struggle against the colts unless they can fix at least half of the problems I laid out a few posts ago.

(09-14-2022, 10:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 10:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Sure. I mean the actually goal is to win the Super Bowl.....

But you should also temper expectations. I want them to make the playoffs but I'm also being real. This team needs to sure up a lot of areas to win games consistently. Can they do it? I sure hope so. There are some good pieces to do it but it's still a really young team with a new coach, new scheme and new players. They also were the worst team in football last year. If you're expecting the 2021 Bengals, you may be disappointed.
You have to make the Playoffs to get the SB.  The goal is to always win the division and then go from there.  Expect them to be the 2021 Bengals? I haven't seen 1 person say they expect this team to be in the SB lol.  Where do you come up with this [BLEEP]?  Lol.  Just because you don't expect this team to win any games this year doesn't mean doesn't mean this coach, these players, and others don't expect this team to win some games

Quote:Where do you come up with this [BLEEP]?  Lol.

(09-14-2022, 11:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You can flip-flop goals vs objectives. Works either way. 

No. Not in the least. Everything the team does is in the spirit of preparedness. Studying film to know the tendencies of the opponent, shaping the playbook to suit the plan to attack perceived weeknesses in the opposition or to leverage your own strengths, practice, ice baths, diets, everything is done to give yourself the best chance to win, but never with the expectation that all that is a guarantee.

Are they confident that the work they put in gives them the best chance to succeed? Very possibly.
Do they understand that one play could undo all the prep they've done? Certainly.

The only thing players and coaches expect is for kickoff to be shortly after 1PM Sunday. Everything else is subject to preparation, skill, and randomized by circumstance/luck/fate call it what you will (bad calls, injuries, wind, etc.).

(09-14-2022, 01:02 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Do you think the players and coaches expect to win this game Sunday against the Colts?

No. Not in the least. Everything the team does is in the spirit of preparedness. Studying film to know the tendencies of the opponent, shaping the playbook to suit the plan to attack perceived weeknesses in the opposition or to leverage your own strengths, practice, ice baths, diets, everything is done to give yourself the best chance to win, but never with the expectation that all that is a guarantee.

Are they confident that the work they put in gives them the best chance to succeed? Very possibly.
Do they understand that one play could undo all the prep they've done? Certainly.

The only thing players and coaches expect is for kickoff to be shortly after 1PM Sunday. Everything else is subject to preparation, skill, and randomized by circumstance/luck/fate call it what you will (bad calls, injuries, wind, etc.).
I call bs on that.  I'd bet money you ask each play on the team along with the coaches if they expect to win Sunday they would say yes.

(09-14-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:02 PM)Mikey Wrote: No. Not in the least. Everything the team does is in the spirit of preparedness. Studying film to know the tendencies of the opponent, shaping the playbook to suit the plan to attack perceived weeknesses in the opposition or to leverage your own strengths, practice, ice baths, diets, everything is done to give yourself the best chance to win, but never with the expectation that all that is a guarantee.

I call bs on that.  I'd bet money you ask each player on the team along with the coaches if they expect to win Sunday they would say yes.

I agree with flgatorsandjags.

(09-14-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I call bs on that.  I'd bet money you ask each play on the team along with the coaches if they expect to win Sunday they would say yes.

If they don't they damn sure have the wrong people.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-14-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:02 PM)Mikey Wrote: No. Not in the least. Everything the team does is in the spirit of preparedness. Studying film to know the tendencies of the opponent, shaping the playbook to suit the plan to attack perceived weeknesses in the opposition or to leverage your own strengths, practice, ice baths, diets, everything is done to give yourself the best chance to win, but never with the expectation that all that is a guarantee.

I call bs on that.  I'd bet money you ask each play on the team along with the coaches if they expect to win Sunday they would say yes.

You know you don't play for the Jags, right?  You can have different expectations than the players and coaches have. 
You aren't in their shoes. 

(I also think that some percentage of them are 100% rational  - and know they will probably lose again if they don't fix their mistakes)

Anyway - this discussion has turned into a weird semantics game anyway. I'm on to a topic not involving win/loss expectations.

I'm interested to see the OL this week. Indy's DL, especially the interior DL, are NOTHING compared to Washington's.

(09-14-2022, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I call bs on that.  I'd bet money you ask each play on the team along with the coaches if they expect to win Sunday they would say yes.

You know you don't play for the Jags, right?  You can have different expectations than the players and coaches have. 

(I also think that some percentage of them are 100% rational  - and know they will probably lose again if they don't fix their mistakes)

Anyway - this discussion has turned into a weird semantics game anyway. I'm on to a topic not involving win/loss expectations.

The question isn't what I think or feel.  It was a question about the coaches and players.

(09-14-2022, 01:28 PM)Jagwired Wrote:

If they don't they damn sure have the wrong people.

Agreed

(09-14-2022, 01:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You know you don't play for the Jags, right?  You can have different expectations than the players and coaches have. 

The question isn't what I think or feel.  It was a question about the coaches and players.

The discussion began as your expectations vs several other board members expectations.

You've moved the goalposts to coaches and players, and I'm merely keeping the discussion in its original context.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 02:28 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-14-2022, 01:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm interested to see the OL this week. Indy's DL, especially the interior DL, are NOTHING compared to Washington's.

We thought our offensive line was going to handle their front though with Chase Young missing. The clots still have Buckner and Paye to contest with. 

If they line Buckner up head-to-head over Bartch / Fortner? It won't be long before they get a repeat of what was on display in Washington. I understand Pederson's "You throw to score, but, you run to win". I can respect that. To an extent...

If you continue to live by that mantra than you had better have a DAMN good plan to keep your QB mechanically sound, clean in the pocket and protected. If that means shorter routes, three step drop and quick passes, etc. Do it. 

Just cannot see back-to-back weeks of him getting hit 10 or more times and eating 2 - 3 sacks.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 02:41 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-14-2022, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The question isn't what I think or feel.  It was a question about the coaches and players.

The discussion began as your expectations vs several other board members expectations.

You've moved the goalposts to coaches and players, and I'm merely keeping the discussion in its original context.

The question you replied too was about the coaches and the players on this game.  Trying to get on topic but you want to keep beating a dead horse.  So back on your post, the players and coaches can expect the team to win but fans can't?  Get the [BLEEP] outta here with that lol.  Trying to tell people what they should expect lmao

(09-14-2022, 02:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The discussion began as your expectations vs several other board members expectations.

The question you replied too was about the coaches and the players on this game.  Trying to get on topic but you want to keep beating a dead horse.  So back on your post, the players and coaches can expect the team to win but fans can't?  Get the [BLEEP] outta here with that lol.  Trying to tell people what they should expect lmao

You've literally been telling everyone that we should all (fans, coaches and players) expect wins. 

Are you telling yourself to GTHO? 

Holy, zero self awareness, Batman.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 04:09 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-14-2022, 03:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 02:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The question you replied too was about the coaches and the players on this game.  Trying to get on topic but you want to keep beating a dead horse.  So back on your post, the players and coaches can expect the team to win but fans can't?  Get the [BLEEP] outta here with that lol.  Trying to tell people what they should expect lmao

You've literally been telling everyone that we should all (fans, coaches and players) expect wins. 

Are you telling yourself to GTHO? 

Holy, zero self awareness, Batman.

You can expect what you want.  I wouldn't ever tell any coaches or players what too expect either but I do hope they expect to win Sunday.