Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 2: Colts vs Jags

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022, 08:18 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

I'd hate to say this is almost a must win but it's almost a must win.  We have beat the Colts in Jax 7 times in a row, we need to win this to show we are a team that is improving.  I'll be at the game and it should be a good one.  After the Colts then we have the Chragers in LA who is looking like one of the best teams in the league with a loaded roster and the the Eagles in Phily who is also a team with one of the best rosters in the league.  We have to continue this streak of beating Indy at home, gain confidence, and learn how to win. That's the think I liked about adding Walker and Lloyd, they are winners that know how to win

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Definitely an important week. Could easily wind up 0-4 if we lose this one. I expect us to win.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022, 08:20 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

If I could name 1 thing for the staff to do this week it would be to put Lanen at LG all week at practice and see how he does there against the Colts. Bartch at LG was my biggest concern week 1 and he was horrible.

They should win this game. Need to double up on the carries this weekend from 15 to 30 with Etienne and Robinson and Lawrence really needs to work on his pass trajectory and stepping up into the pocket or sliding into an open throwing lane all week at practice.

I think game plan wise you have to blitz Ryan. He put the ball on the ground four times yesterday, threw an interception at one point and Jerry Hughes managed to harass him from what I saw in the highlight reels this morning. I honestly want to see Walker and Allen flip flopping sides out there in pass rushing situations.

Allen didn't register a sack in yesterday's game but he made two key plays. He snuffed out that trick play and then he forced a fumble I believe in the first half that should have been rewarded with three points had Etienne not fumbled the ball.

My primary concerns is containing Jonathan Taylor and keeping Michael Pittman Jr. in check. These guys need to get better at [BLEEP] tackling on defense. Really sloppy technique yesterday in the opener. Keep the ball in front of you. Don't get caught taking a bad angle. None of that patty cake [BLEEP]. Somebody outside of Walker and Allen needs to set the tone early.

Thump Taylor a few times when they run it inside and don't let him bounce it out too much around the tackles. They need to get it done this weekend.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Another thing I would do is have Campbell at CB1, Williams at CB2, and Griffin CB3. Campbell is our best corner and Williams is better at outside corner than at inside, he played number 2 corner outside with the Rams and was damn good. Griffin has the quickness to play nickle corner so I'd like to see how that would play out

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022, 08:45 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-12-2022, 08:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Another thing I would do is have Campbell at CB1, Williams at CB2, and Griffin CB3.  Campbell is our best corner and Williams is better at outside corner than at inside, he played number 2 corner outside with the Rams and was damn good.  Griffin has the quickness to play nickle corner so I'd like to see how that would play out

Not opposed to this idea. Williams was clearly rusty though having not played after surgery. Missed quite a few tackles. Griffin was disappointing yesterday with the exception of one pass break up in particular. Then again, as stated, wasn't really impressed with the base pass rushing unit. Surprised Caldwell didn't try other options out there from other positions on the field.

The one time he completely sold out? It resulted in Terry getting a big TD. Those are the plays Lawrence has to make. Like that miss he had with Marvin Jones when Washington completely sold out. That play at the minimum flips the entire field and gets you into a field goal situation if you stall from there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Week two of year one of a new regime with multiple weak spots on a roster that hasn't yet settled into a new scheme.

That sounds sounds about as opposite of "must win" as it gets.

It's winnable.
I hope they execute well enough to pull out a W

(09-12-2022, 08:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd hate to say this is almost a must win but it's almost a must win.  We have beat the Colts in Jax 7 times in a row, we need to win this to show we are a team that is improving.  I'll be at the game and it should be a good one.  After the Colts then we have the Chragers in LA who is looking like one of the best teams in the league with a loaded roster and the the Eagles in Phily who is also a team with one of the best rosters in the league.  We have to continue this streak of beating Indy at home, gain confidence, and learn how to win.  That's the think I liked about adding Walker and Lloyd, they are winners that know how to win
On what planet is this a "must win"? So if they lose this game, the season is over and they're out of playoff contention?

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022, 09:49 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-12-2022, 09:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Week two of year one of a new regime with multiple weak spots on a roster that hasn't yet settled into a new scheme.

It's winnable.

Do you know how many teams yesterday won with a new coach?  Bears beat SF, who was in the NFC championship game last year, NYG beat the Titans who was in the AFC championship game, Dolphins beat Pats, Saints beat the Falcons, Bucs beat the Cowboys in Dallas, and let's see if the Broncos beats Seattle tonight.  Texans tied the Colts.  How long can you use the new regime excuse before you expect us to win?

(09-12-2022, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 08:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd hate to say this is almost a must win but it's almost a must win.  We have beat the Colts in Jax 7 times in a row, we need to win this to show we are a team that is improving.  I'll be at the game and it should be a good one.  After the Colts then we have the Chragers in LA who is looking like one of the best teams in the league with a loaded roster and the the Eagles in Phily who is also a team with one of the best rosters in the league.  We have to continue this streak of beating Indy at home, gain confidence, and learn how to win.  That's the think I liked about adding Walker and Lloyd, they are winners that know how to win
On what planet is this a "must win"? So if they lose this game, the season is over and they're out of playoff contention?

I think you missed the word "almost".  We play the Chargers and Eagles after that on the road.  I'd call this almost a must win. We have beat them 7 times in a row at home, the Texans just tied them.  This is a game we need to win if we want to show progression.

(09-12-2022, 09:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: On what planet is this a "must win"? So if they lose this game, the season is over and they're out of playoff contention?

I think you missed the word "almost".  We play the Chargers and Eagles after that on the road.  I'd call this almost a must win. We have beat them 7 times in a row at home, the Texans just tied them.  This is a game we need to win if we want to show progression.
You're dramatic.

(09-12-2022, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 09:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Week two of year one of a new regime with multiple weak spots on a roster that hasn't yet settled into a new scheme.

It's winnable.

Do you know how many teams yesterday won with a new coach?  Bears beat SF, who was in the NFC championship game last year, NYG beat the Titans who was in the AFC championship game, Pats beat the Dolphins, Saints beat the Falcons, Bucs beat the Cowboys in Dallas, and let's see if the Broncos beats Seattle tonight.  Texans tied the Colts.  How long can you use the new regime excuse before you expect us to win?
If you expect wins from this rebuilding team right now, you're living in a delusional fantasy.

I could give you a dozen valid reasons why i don't expect wins, including the new staff, but you aren't going to get it. You're lost in your little fantasy world.

(09-12-2022, 09:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Do you know how many teams yesterday won with a new coach?  Bears beat SF, who was in the NFC championship game last year, NYG beat the Titans who was in the AFC championship game, Pats beat the Dolphins, Saints beat the Falcons, Bucs beat the Cowboys in Dallas, and let's see if the Broncos beats Seattle tonight.  Texans tied the Colts.  How long can you use the new regime excuse before you expect us to win?
If you expect wins from this rebuilding team right now, you're living in a delusional fantasy.

I could give you a dozen valid reasons why i don't expect wins, including the new staff, but you aren't going to get it. You're lost in your little fantasy world.

Have to agree with NYC here,, i get that if we don’t win we could be looking at 0-4 …. But after watching us lose both lines of scrimmage against the redskins I expect we will be very disappointed if we go into this game saying we probably have to win this game to have a good season… it’s asking too much and we as fans will be setting ourselves up for a meltdown..

To win we need to win turnover margin like last week.. have more efficient redzone o and much better secondary play  and tackling by defense. That’s asking for a lot against a good team because we aren’t as a team more talented than them up front. 

We also need Trevor to not take a step back and limit turnovers and hit on a few more critical throws.

Will not say this is a must win yet though … even if we end up 0-4 which is a real possibility this may be a team that comes on late as we learn to play together with a young team and new coaching staff.

(09-12-2022, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Do you know how many teams yesterday won with a new coach?  Bears beat SF, who was in the NFC championship game last year, NYG beat the Titans who was in the AFC championship game, Pats beat the Dolphins, Saints beat the Falcons, Bucs beat the Cowboys in Dallas, and let's see if the Broncos beats Seattle tonight.  Texans tied the Colts.  How long can you use the new regime excuse before you expect us to win?

You don't think that's a bit harsh?  I understand flg&j is having a tantrum and you want to knock him down a peg or two, but telling a fan to not expect wins when we had every opportunity to actually win the game isn't very realistic either.

(09-12-2022, 10:14 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 09:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you expect wins from this rebuilding team right now, you're living in a delusional fantasy.

You don't think that's a bit harsh?  I understand flg&j is having a tantrum and you want to knock him down a peg or two, but telling a fan to not expect wins when we had every opportunity to actually win the game isn't very realistic either.

It is the difference between wanting a chance at the division or realistic watching a long long stretch of constant rebuilds.

Hang your hat on second half improvement in Game 1 and not pulling a complete melt down.

It isn't winning but it is Jaguars football.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-12-2022, 10:20 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 10:14 AM)scottyg Wrote: You don't think that's a bit harsh?  I understand flg&j is having a tantrum and you want to knock him down a peg or two, but telling a fan to not expect wins when we had every opportunity to actually win the game isn't very realistic either.

It is the difference between wanting a chance at the division or realistic watching a long long stretch of constant rebuilds.

Hang your hat on second half improvement in Game 1 and not pulling a complete melt down.

It isn't winning but it is Jaguars football.

Yeah, dude has definitely melted already.  I'd hand him a Snickers personally if I could reach him.  Someone get flg&j a dang Snickers already!!!

Not a must win.

I have this weird feeling that it's gonna be a slugfest between the run games.

I'm hoping they give Etienne a few more carries, for one thing I don't want to rely too heavily on JRob early, even though he did look fresh and up to the task. My worry is more that as the season drags on, does he start to grow weary if he remains the primary carrier?

It is must win if you want the best chance to avoid an 0-4 start and what that type of start typically means for teams. I expect this team to play better as the season moves along. It would be nice if games in December were not just spoiler opportunities because of early season losses. The division will probably help make those games meaningful regardless. That said, I do expect us to win this weekend. The sky is not falling based on week 1 despite the general (over)reaction to the result.

(09-12-2022, 10:54 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It is must win if you want the best chance to avoid an 0-4 start and what that type of start typically means for teams.  I expect this team to play better as the season moves along.  It would be nice if games in December were not just spoiler opportunities because of early season losses.  The division will probably help make those games meaningful regardless.  That said, I do expect us to win this weekend.  The sky is not falling based on week 1 despite the general (over)reaction to the result.

Next week will definitely be a good indicator of how the season could go...  We will learn from the loss, clean up some of the penalties and play a bit better in the trenches, hopefully pulling out the win.  Or, we will continue making the same dumb mistakes and get blown out in typical Jaguar fashion.  Hoping for something different this year, but still won't believe it until I see it.

I think we should expect to see progress via wins eventually at some point. Maybe yesterday was too soon. I do not know. What I do know is this fan base has been very patient with rebuild after rebuild. I won’t throw a tantrum, but I won’t pretend that it does get exhausting at times to support this constantly. We are the new Browns and Lions and it’s not even close. 

Also you didn’t call him out on the egregious error that the Pats beat the Dolphins, not the other way around. You’re slacking.