Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jack at WLB this week

Quote:Some tweets about Jack after a few snaps:
<span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>Hays Carlyon<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
HaysCarlyon
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/771485570149322754'>32m32 minutes ago</a></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">

Myles Jack doesn't know it's the fourth preseason game. Just blasted a guy. <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguar</a>

</span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>Hays Carlyon<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
HaysCarlyon
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/771485912853258240'>31m31 minutes ago</a></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">

Myles Jack 3 and outs the Falcons by himself. Three tackles. <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>

HaysCarlyon
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/771490383993995265'>13m13 minutes ago</a></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">

Four snaps, four tackles for Jack. Even Jefferson didn't destroy Lincoln this bad in Fast Times.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>Mike Kaye<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
mike_e_kaye
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/771485534904578048'>34m34 minutes ago</a><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Ab49b3053b5c25bf5'>Denver, CO</a></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">

Myles Jack = 2017 team leader in jersey sales. Book it.

<span style="font-size:24px;">
<span style="font-size:14px;">Not a bad start for the kid. Big Grin

</span></span></span>

Giggity
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't understand why Telvin just can't play OTTO or SAM? I mean I literally don't understand, so can you mb football intellectuals tell me why we simply cannot have Telvin and Jack on the field at the same time?

"Scheme" > Personell seems like a really dumb argument get em both out there
This. 

Though generally I think you draft players to fit the scheme, somehow there has to be enough flexibility in the coaching staff and the scheme as it pertains to the OTTO position to accomodate having Jack, Poz and Smith on the field at once.  Unquestionably, those are the best three LBs we've got, even if you see Telvin Smith as a liability in coverage.  But as I think more about this as I type, I remember that the OTTO position has its own coach and its own meeting room apart from the other LBs.

But I will say this:  havig to figure out a way to have Telvin Smith, Poz, and Jack on the field at the same time is a great problem to have.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote: 

Some tweets about Jack after a few snaps: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon  32m32 minutes ago

<p style="font-size:16px;">Myles Jack doesn't know it's the fourth preseason game. Just blasted a guy. #Jaguar

Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon  31m31 minutes ago

<p style="font-size:26px;">Myles Jack 3 and outs the Falcons by himself. Three tackles. #Jaguars

Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon  13m13 minutes ago

<p style="font-size:26px;">Four snaps, four tackles for Jack. Even Jefferson didn't destroy Lincoln this bad in Fast Times.

Mike Kaye ‏@mike_e_kaye  34m34 minutes agoDenver, CO

<p style="font-size:26px;">Myles Jack = 2017 team leader in jersey sales. Book it.

<p style="font-size:26px;"> 

<p style="font-size:26px;">Not a bad start for the kid. Big Grin

<p style="font-size:26px;"> 

</div>
Those were some great lines.  Mike Kaye was in a zone.  So was Jack, and I'm not talking coverage, either.

Quote:I think having Telvin and Jack on the field iS the goal, atleast i hope. Jack seems to be getting groomed to take over at MIKE.

Telvin is a little too small to play at SLB/SAM/OTTO. That LB needs to be able to take on blocks from a pulling guard or a tackle. Telvin'S strength is his speed, and it would be negated on the strong side. Daryl Smith made a great SLB because he was strong and built like a tree.

Jack is built to play SLB, I think. I think Jack should play nickel though and eventually, middle. He's a modern day MLB in a 4-3 scheme.

Sam and Will Linebacker are the same positions... Lol you guys trip me out...Strong side can either be on the left or right.. Guards can pull on the left and the right side... Myles Jack is about 7lbs heavier then Smith.. But Smith is 2 inches taller.. Doesnt mean anything.. Gus made up all these stupid position name, and forgot to make up a top Defense.. Jack will be fine... He more then likely will start over the bum Skuta...

Quote:Sam and Will Linebacker are the same positions... Lol you guys trip me out...Strong side can either be on the left or right.. Guards can pull on the left and the right side... Myles Jack is about 7lbs heavier then Smith.. But Smith is 2 inches taller.. Doesnt mean anything.. Gus made up all these stupid position name, and forgot to make up a top Defense.. Jack will be fine... He more then likely will start over the bum Skuta...
Myles Jack is about 30 lbs heavier and is 2 inches shorter...meaning he's much much thicker
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Myles Jack is about 30 lbs heavier and is 2 inches shorter...meaning he's much much thicker

Myles Jack 225 Telvin Smith 218

Quote:Myles Jack 225 Telvin Smith 218

http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html

Jack is 247.

Quote:Those were some great lines.  Mike Kaye was in a zone.  So was Jack, and I'm not talking coverage, either.
Yup, it was fun.

Carlyon also tweeted a "Myles Jack could stop Hermine tonight" after the 4th consecutive tackle. Big Grin

Quote:Myles Jack 225 Telvin Smith 218
In reality Jack is closer to 250 and Smith is closer to 210
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html'>http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html</a>

Jack is 247.

And you really believe that?? Jack is heavier then Poz according to the Jaguar website.. His weight according to google says 225. And varys up to 245..But thats not my point my point is doesnt matter which side hes on..

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM by irontrooper83.)

At the combine Jack was 6'1 and weighed in at 245. 

Although if I recall correctly his playing weight was 235, I'm not sure what the coaches suggested for his conditioning and ideal weight since he became a Jaguar.

He opened even more eyes a few days after the combine when still finishing is rehab (that's why he wasn't running the 40yds dash) and preparation and weighing 245 posted a 40inches vertical jump.

But I agree, let's find a way to put our best players on the field together.

Quote:And you really believe that?? Jack is heavier then Poz according to the Jaguar website.. His weight according to google says 225. And varys up to 245..But thats not my point my point is doesnt matter which side hes on..

Yes.  Throughout the pre draft process, 247 has beenat or around  his listed weight.

If you were to google "Myles Jack combine results, you'd get this link.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/m...id=2555329

There it lists him at 245.

Whereas telvins weight of 218 at the combine is actually heavy for him.

Lageman interviewed him once and said that he dropped to the 205-210 range during the season.

Telvin makes a lot of tackles, but does he also overrun plays, take bad angles sometimes, or get lost in coverage on pass defense?   This is an interesting question.   How many mistakes does Telvin Smith make?   I think the coaches know the answer to this. 

Quote:Sam and Will Linebacker are the same positions...

If that's what you think, so be it. I don't agree. WILL LBs need to have more range, while SLBs stay closer to the LOS. I'm pretty sure Jack is heavier than 245. Doesn't really matter because he has the versatility to play all 3 positions, whereas Telvin is strictly weakside. Maybe Telvin could bulk up and become MLB someday.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Telvin makes a lot of tackles, but does he also overrun plays, take bad angles sometimes, or get lost in coverage on pass defense?   This is an interesting question.   How many mistakes does Telvin Smith make?   I think the coaches know the answer to this. 

Telvin is still the 2nd or 3rd best LB on this team. With Jack being #1 and Poz/Telvin being 2/3 depending on how you look at it. There's then a drop off to Skuta and then even further to Tripp, Pullard, etc. I just can't see a scenario taking Telvin off the field. I'd rather sit Poz, but then I don't think Jack is ready to be the starting MLB yet. It's really a tough spot because we definitely want Jack on the field but his talents would be wasted on Otto where he wouldn't use his coverage skills, but he'd be great against the run there.

At the end of the day, we need to find a way to get Jack on the field.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It's good to see Jack play well at WLB.

I was just hoping he would get some training at Otto so that we can have Jack-Poz-Smith play together.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016, 08:13 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:I don't understand why Telvin just can't play OTTO or SAM? I mean I literally don't understand, so can you mb football intellectuals tell me why we simply cannot have Telvin and Jack on the field at the same time?

"Scheme" > Personell seems like a really dumb argument get em both out there

As I understand the Defense, and lord knows that my understanding barely goes beyond "doodling up the positions in the right order", the Defense aligns against your generic, garden variety Offense like so:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">---------------------R

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">-----Z--------------Q----------F

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">------------Y-T-G-C-G-T----------X

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">----------O-E----N----T--L

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">-----C----------M----W--------------C

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">----------------------------------F

-------------------SS
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Where:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">O = Otto / SAM 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">E = End / "Big End"

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">N = Noseguard

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">L = LEO

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">C = Cornerback

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">M = MIKE

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">W = WILL

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">SS = Strong 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">FS = Free 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">To me, Most any LB with speed will fit in well at WILL since he is essentially a protected player. The Nose, Tackle and LEO occupy essentially the entire weak side of the Offensive Line allowing the Will a clear read for the play. This is not to diminish what Telvin accomplishes, but to point out that the Defense is built for the Will to be free. Pete Carroll talked about the WILL as such: "...He is generally protected in the defensive schemes and will not see as many blocks. All you want him to do most plays is flow and chase the football. We want our fastest linebacker at this position."

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Mike is not so protected, and therefore he needs to be able to shed blocks from big guys in order to make his tackles in the running game. OTTO has to be able to post up a Tight End and also to run and cover. And by posting up a Tight End, it means that he has to be able to set the edge on the perimeter and force plays back to the inside. Pete Carroll describes the SAM 'backer as having "... to be a good containment player. He has to be big and strong enough to play on the edge of the tight end. He has to be able to run in pass coverage also."

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">To me, Jack could play the OTTO role, but you're losing a fantastic tackler to a guy who is really just there to absorb blocks and shadow a TE. So how do you get Jack, Poz and Smith on the field at the same time? I'm not really certain. Honestly, I think Jack is an upgrade of Smith but I wouldn't want to lose Smith for the sake of the one year or so until Poz moves on.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Telvin already isn't all that in coverage. Putting him at SS would just create another problem.

I think part of telvins issue is trying to stick his nose into plays early to prove he can lb at this level. Sometimes it gets him in trouble.

Might be a longshot, but if cyp struggles early i could see the swap. Telvin can still clean up run support with his speed but not feel obligated, letting him focus mentally on coverages.

I think this year is probably the last year for poz. We will likely see players getting mixed and matched just to maximize talent right now but poz is still the leader of the defense.

Next season we will likely see jack take over MLB full time, and hopefully telvin overcomes those mistakes in coverage and plays wlb full time as well.

Again, this season is just about using everything we have and letting some guys learn on the fly.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."