Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fire Baalke Thread 2023-2024

(12-28-2023, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah - I don't think that was the plan. 
They simply needed a Y TE who could at least be considered a receiving threat by defenses so Engram didn't get locked in the radar of opponents in 12 or 13 looks.  Of course - they picked the wrong one and too early. But giving Strange 6 targets a game was never the intention.

You kept harping on Doug's offense being all about two TEs.
That is a myth. 
Multiple receiving TEs are no more important in Doug's offense than in 14 other schemes being run around the league. 
He just happened to get really good TE production for 2 years in Philly because he only had one good receiver. 
How ppl can't put that together is astounding to me. He merely targeted the best guys he had - which happened to be 1 WR and 2 TE. 
He's stated in multiple pressers that his offense isn't about one position group and he tailors his playbook every season to the guys he has. 
If his system was all about two TEs as you kept oddly insisting - Engram would not have 10 times more targets than any other TE on the roster.
He absolutely wants to run more 2 TE sets he just doesn't have the talent to do it and why he drafted a TE in the 2nd. You don't take a player in the 2nd to play a couple times a game.   I never said his offense is about 1 position group, you are just throwing [BLEEP] on the wall again hoping it sticks as usual.  I have said he uses the TE position better and likes to use it more than most coaches like like Reid, he just doesn't have the talent to do it.  Engram has 10 times more targets than any other TE becuase he has nothing behind him.  If we had another stud TE the numbers would be much closer.  It's crazy i have to explain this to you over and over lol

Doug had much bigger plans for Strange this year he just hasn't been good enough and it hasn't turned out the way he planned

LOL

"want to run more 2 TE sets"

They run plenty of 2 and 3 TE sets. 

That is not the point. You said they were going to use him like LaPorta and in other posts you brought up Goedert/Ertz. 

Doug's system is NOT built around targeting 2 TEs a total of 12-15 times per game like you seem to think it is. 
That's ridiculous. 
You don't plan to target TEs that way when you have Ridley/Kirk/Jones. 

Lately they've targeted Engram near that because Pederson is back to the same problem he had in Philly. Only one healthy receiver. LOL

Here's what happened with Strange:
They needed a guy that could block in line as well as Farrell or Manhertz but be more of a threat to leak out for an occasional target.  That's it. 
That's exactly how they have attempted to use him and he has been very inconsistent and of course now he's been hurt for multiple weeks. 

You assumed he'd be some integral part of the passing offense and that was never the plan. 

You're not explaining something to me, you're just making a false assumption about Pederson's intent with the TEs on this roster.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 01:27 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-28-2023, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah - I don't think that was the plan. 
They simply needed a Y TE who could at least be considered a receiving threat by defenses so Engram didn't get locked in the radar of opponents in 12 or 13 looks.  Of course - they picked the wrong one and too early. But giving Strange 6 targets a game was never the intention.

You kept harping on Doug's offense being all about two TEs.
That is a myth. 
Multiple receiving TEs are no more important in Doug's offense than in 14 other schemes being run around the league. 
He just happened to get really good TE production for 2 years in Philly because he only had one good receiver. 
How ppl can't put that together is astounding to me. He merely targeted the best guys he had - which happened to be 1 WR and 2 TE. 
He's stated in multiple pressers that his offense isn't about one position group and he tailors his playbook every season to the guys he has. 
If his system was all about two TEs as you kept oddly insisting - Engram would not have 10 times more targets than any other TE on the roster.
He absolutely wants to run more 2 TE sets he just doesn't have the talent to do it and why he drafted a TE in the 2nd. You don't take a player in the 2nd to play a couple times a game.   I never said his offense is about 1 position group, you are just throwing [BLEEP] on the wall again hoping it sticks as usual.  I have said he uses the TE position better and likes to use it more than most coaches like like Reid, he just doesn't have the talent to do it.  Engram has 10 times more targets than any other TE becuase he has nothing behind him.  If we had another stud TE the numbers would be much closer.  It's crazy i have to explain this to you over and over lol

Doug had much bigger plans for Strange this year he just hasn't been good enough and it hasn't turned out the way he planned

I tend to agree with this above in bold. They dropped the 61st overall pick on him. 7 targets through 12 games with just 4 catches for 34 yards and a TD is probably not the immediate return investment you're looking for with that selection.

It's frustrating if they had intentions of using him more than what he is now. Here's some interesting things to consider. We traded down with Buffalo who took Dalton Kincaid.

Kincaid - 62 catches, 502 yards with 2 TD's.

We then have LaPorta who is leading them all by a mile. Then you have Green Bay with Musgrave and Kraft giving them some good production already with Love. They're combined for a little more than what Kincaid has on his own. Mayer has been decent with a dysfunctional Raiders team. Schoonmaker and Mallory have also had some decent moments. 

It's just frustrating for me. I was saying it over and over last year and earlier this year, that, this draft class back in April had a really nice TE group to pick and choose from, we not only used a high draft pick on the position, but, we [BLEEP] swung and missed BIG TIME at that. Strange was not on my radar. At all. 

He's the least productive receiving TE from this class though so far with the exception of maybe three guys that have not seen the field yet but they were all day three picks. This team doesn't know what the [BLEEP] it's doing. It's clear as day now. There's a disconnect between this staff and scouting department.

Something needs to give. Blundered at least 11 - 12 picks out of 14 back in April. Harrison being the most promising and them some flashes from guys like Johnson and Washington. 

The more I look at that TE group and this class? The more pissed off I get actually.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-28-2023, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He absolutely wants to run more 2 TE sets he just doesn't have the talent to do it and why he drafted a TE in the 2nd. You don't take a player in the 2nd to play a couple times a game.   I never said his offense is about 1 position group, you are just throwing [BLEEP] on the wall again hoping it sticks as usual.  I have said he uses the TE position better and likes to use it more than most coaches like like Reid, he just doesn't have the talent to do it.  Engram has 10 times more targets than any other TE becuase he has nothing behind him.  If we had another stud TE the numbers would be much closer.  It's crazy i have to explain this to you over and over lol

I tend to agree with this above in bold. They dropped the 61st overall pick on him. 7 targets through 12 games with just 4 catches for 34 yards and a TD is probably not the immediate return investment you're looking for with that selection.

It's frustrating if they had intentions of using him more than what he is now. Here's some interesting things to consider. We traded down with Buffalo who took Dalton Kincaid.

We then have LaPorta who is leading them all by a mile. Then you have Green Bay with Musgrave and Kraft giving them some good production already with Love. They're combined for a little more than what Kincaid has on his own. Mayer has been decent with a dysfunctional Raiders team. Schoonmaker and Mallory have also had some decent moments. 

It's just frustrating for me. I was saying it over and over last year and earlier this year, that, this draft class back in April had a really nice TE group to pick and choose from, we not only used a high draft pick on the position, but, we [BLEEP] swung and miss BIG TIME at that. Strange was not on my radar. At all. 

He's the least productive receiving TE from this class though so far with the exception of maybe three guys that have not seen the field yet but they were all day three picks. This team doesn't know what the [BLEEP] it's doing. It's clear as day now. There's a disconnect between this staff and scouting department.

Something needs to give. Blundered at least 11 - 12 picks out of 14 back in April. Harrison being the most promising and them some flashes from guys like Johnson and Washington. 

The more I look at that TE group and this class? The more pissed off I get actually.

Yeah, they expected more and had bigger plans, he just hasn't been good enough.  Earlier in the year they started trying to use him more and more and he constantly missed blocks, missed assignments, dropped balls, couldn't get open etc. It hasn't went as planned.  You can't keep putting him out there when he continues to hurt the offense

(12-28-2023, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He absolutely wants to run more 2 TE sets he just doesn't have the talent to do it and why he drafted a TE in the 2nd. You don't take a player in the 2nd to play a couple times a game.   I never said his offense is about 1 position group, you are just throwing [BLEEP] on the wall again hoping it sticks as usual.  I have said he uses the TE position better and likes to use it more than most coaches like like Reid, he just doesn't have the talent to do it.  Engram has 10 times more targets than any other TE becuase he has nothing behind him.  If we had another stud TE the numbers would be much closer.  It's crazy i have to explain this to you over and over lol

It's just frustrating for me. I was saying it over and over last year and earlier this year, that, this draft class back in April had a really nice TE group to pick and choose from, we not only used a high draft pick on the position, but, we [BLEEP] swung and missed BIG TIME at that. Strange was not on my radar. At all. 

Just think if we went 
1. LaPorta
2.Torrence
3. Jones

That would of been an amazing draft and this offense would likely be humming right now.  The position wasn't the problem it was the player.  With that said, next year he could come in and light it up.  Hopefully he does and proves all the doubters wrong including myself, I'd love that

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 01:45 PM by Caldrac. Edited 4 times in total.)

(12-28-2023, 01:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I tend to agree with this above in bold. They dropped the 61st overall pick on him. 7 targets through 12 games with just 4 catches for 34 yards and a TD is probably not the immediate return investment you're looking for with that selection.

It's just frustrating for me. I was saying it over and over last year and earlier this year, that, this draft class back in April had a really nice TE group to pick and choose from, we not only used a high draft pick on the position, but, we [BLEEP] swung and miss BIG TIME at that. Strange was not on my radar. At all. 

Yeah, they expected more and had bigger plans, he just hasn't been good enough.  Earlier in the year they started trying to use him more and more and he constantly missed blocks, missed assignments, dropped balls, couldn't get open etc. It hasn't went as planned.  You can't keep putting him out there when he continues to hurt the offense

It's a two pronged issue. 

1. You invested the 61st pick on him. 
2. You're not getting the most out of him because your offensive line is hot garbage.

It's aggravating. They could have went:
24th pick on Dalton Kincaid at TE.
56th pick on O'Cyrus Torrence at LG.
88th pick on Dawand Jones at RT.
121st pick on somebody like Nacua or Wicks at WR.

You get your receiving threat at TE to pair with Engram. You get your LG situation upgraded and your RT situation resolved.

You get a WR that either sets the NFL on fire like Nacua, which, won't assume he does that here, but, it's possible. But, Wicks? He's got 500+ yards already as a rookie.

Would have been really good depth on this team compared to the depth we have behind the starters who are in and out of the line-up now.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

When I watch the all-22 from before the bye week - it seems rather obvious how they "wanted" to use him.

He's in on 30-40% of the offensive snaps.
He is a blocker only on probably 70% of those snaps and they let him run a few routes.
He didn't receive a single target in many of those games because he was never an early read in those plays. Finally in week 6 - they called his number a couple of times where he was either the primary or second read.

I'm assuming something happened in that game or the next week of practice because they cut his snaps after that for a couple of weeks. I'd wager a whiffed block or two forced a change in strategy.

I don't think they ever had intent of throwing to the kid more than 2 or 3 times in a game and folks are just assuming otherwise because they unwisely selected him so early.

I hope he develops and can turn into that solid inline blocker who leaks out for a pass a few times each week.
But I don't expect more than that - and I doubt they intended more than that.

(12-28-2023, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: When I watch the all-22 from before the bye week - it seems rather obvious how they "wanted" to use him.

He is a blocker only on probably 70% of those snaps and they let him run a few routes.
He didn't receive a single target in many of those games because he was never an early read in those plays. Finally in week 6 - they called his number a couple of times where he was either the primary or second read.

I'm assuming something happened in that game or the next week of practice because they cut his snaps after that for a couple of weeks. I'd wager a whiffed block or two forced a change in strategy.

I don't think they ever had intent of throwing to the kid more than 2 or 3 times in a game and folks are just assuming otherwise because they unwisely selected him so early.

I hope he develops and can turn into that solid inline blocker who leaks out for a pass a few times each week.

Further indictment on Baalke and this coaching staff then.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 02:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-28-2023, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: When I watch the all-22 from before the bye week - it seems rather obvious how they "wanted" to use him.

Him being able to get open depends on how many targets he gets.  The more he gets open and beats his man the more they will throw him the ball.  He also has to be able to block if we wants to continue to see action.  I doubt they put a number on how many times they want to throw him the ball.  It just depends on how he is at practice and how he is doing during the game and when he is constantly out there making mistakes like he was when they tried to start using him more it's why they started reducing his playing time.  

It's not this black or white answer, " yeah we will throw it to him 2 times this week"  the following week, "how about let's throw it to him 3 times this week"  lol. The way he is playing and practicing will determine the type of action he will see and it hasn't been good so far when they gave him his opportunities

(12-28-2023, 01:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 01:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, they expected more and had bigger plans, he just hasn't been good enough.  Earlier in the year they started trying to use him more and more and he constantly missed blocks, missed assignments, dropped balls, couldn't get open etc. It hasn't went as planned.  You can't keep putting him out there when he continues to hurt the offense

It's a two pronged issue. 

2. You're not getting the most out of him because your offensive line is hot garbage.

You get your receiving threat at TE to pair with Engram. You get your LG situation upgraded and your RT situation resolved.

You get a WR that either sets the NFL on fire like Nacua, which, won't assume he does that here, but, it's possible. But, Wicks? He's got 500+ yards already as a rookie.

Would have been really good depth on this team compared to the depth we have behind the starters who are in and out of the line-up now.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and we could play what ifs all day. Tight end more than any position usually has a steeper learning curve from college to the nfl. Rarely do you see tight ends come in and light it up from day one. I expect a big jump in his game next year.

If true, that's even more of an indictment.  I'd rather he just be a disappointing scouting miss, but if they actually intended to use a 2nd round draft pick on a blocking tight end who they could throw to a couple times a game, we have far bigger issues.  Horrific allocation of resources.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 02:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

If he was out there getting open like Egram, he would get the ball a lot more

(12-28-2023, 01:59 PM)rfc17 Wrote:

If true, that's even more of an indictment.  I'd rather he just be a disappointing scouting miss, but if they actually intended to use a 2nd round draft pick on a blocking tight end who they could throw to a couple times a game, we have far bigger issues.  Horrific allocation of resources.

Yeah, they had much bigger plans for Strange than that, he just hasn't been good enough to use like they expected

(12-28-2023, 01:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If he was out there getting open like Egram, he would get the ball a lot more

They are barely ever sending him on routes. They keep him inline to block the vast majority of the time. 
This should tell you something about how they intend to use him, but you aren't connecting the dots.

(12-28-2023, 02:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 01:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If he was out there getting open like Egram, he would get the ball a lot more

They are barely ever sending him on routes. They keep him inline to block the vast majority of the time. 
This should tell you something about how they intend to use him, but you aren't connecting the dots.
Because he's not good enough, that's why lol.  It isn't hard at all to connect the dots.  It goes right over your head.  They wish he could go out there and run all the routes and be some type of threat but he's not.  Not at this point anyway.

(12-28-2023, 01:59 PM)rfc17 Wrote:

It is 100% percent an indictment and a bad allocation of resources. Just like the 3rd round pick that followed it. And the 4th round pick that followed that.

I can't remember the weeks but earlier in the season they started to use him more and more in a few games and each time he was given the opportunity he was making mistakes. I was calling him out on it and they started taking his playing time back away and giving it to Farrell

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 02:15 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-28-2023, 01:58 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 01:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It's a two pronged issue. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 and we could play what ifs all day. Tight end more than any position usually has a steeper learning curve from college to the nfl. Rarely do you see tight ends come in and light it up from day one. I expect a big jump in his game next year.

That is true. Hindsight is always 20/20 and when we all look back sometimes things can look fuzzy. However, that's my problem. Baalke is PAID to make these evaluations. Baalke is PAID to create a draft board. Baalke's scouting department is PAID to find these players. Pederson is PAID to look at this roster and scout to some extent on his own. 

While I also hope and expect a big jump in year two for basically 70% of this team's 14 draft selections from April of this year? It's still a bummer that they failed massively in scouting, evaluating, looking ahead and understanding short term Vs. long term value and jars on the shelf Vs. immediate returns on investments. 

This team had no business taking guys like Strange, Bigsby & Miller as early as they did. Didn't make sense back in April. CLEARLY makes no sense now in December. TE might have a steeper learning curve, but, how is that the rest of those teams found their guy right off the bat already before the 61st pick and after the 61st pick?

That's the catch. That's the problem. Baalke and Co. are being out scouted, out performed and out worked. They had ample enough selections to find more impact players than they did back in April. It cannot be overstated enough. I don't think any other team had 14 draft picks back in April.

(12-28-2023, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I can't remember the weeks but earlier in the season they started to use him more and more in a few games and each time he was given the opportunity he was making mistakes.  I was calling him out on it and they started taking his playing time back away and giving it to Farrell

He had one really good game and showing on the road win against the tinhorns. That's all I can really recall out of him outside of that wide open TD pass he caught at home. I know he had some type of injury, his foot was in a boot at some point. 

I don't know. Just seems like a dud of a selection with the 61st overall choice.

(12-28-2023, 02:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 02:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They are barely ever sending him on routes. They keep him inline to block the vast majority of the time. 
Because he's not good enough, that's why lol.  It isn't hard at all to connect the dots.  It goes right over your head.  They wish he could go out there and run all the routes and be some type of threat but he's not.  Not at this point anyway.

Nothing going over my head here at all, bud.
You made an unwise assumption about how they would use him and you were wrong. 
That's it.

You can try to cover your bad take with "he's so bad they aren't even trying to use him the way I said they would" but I'm not buying that. They keep giving Tank Bigsby chances to run and catch despite turnovers and a horrendous line. 

Yet yer boy - to be utilized like Sam LaPorta and Dallas Goedert according to you - has received a whopping total of SEVEN TARGETS in 12 games. 

He's meant to be an inline blocker who occasionally gets a target. 
If he develops some great receiving skillset - and Doug ends up with Strange and Engram plus only one competent receiver - That is the only way you'll ever see them use those two the way you've tried to predict it since August and September. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. 

That's the only reason/situation when Doug ever featured a second highly targeted TE in the past.

This was never going to be a Gronk/Hernandez or Ertz/Goedert situation.

The closest Pederson coached comparison would be Ertz and Burton in 2016 when Burton had 60 targets and lots of blocking compared to Ertz's 106 targets.
Obviously the rookie wasn't ready for 60 targets, or even 30 targets, but it was never going to be more than that and likely less.

(12-27-2023, 09:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/trilwil92/status/174...EDejw&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I thought an O-Lineman's hands needed to be outside the numbers on the front of the D-lineman's jersey.  Vid shows both instances dude has his hand and firm grip on the back of both Jags players jersey which seems to give him great leverage.  Gotsis was complaining about something after the play.  Probably exactly that would be my guess.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 04:09 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-28-2023, 02:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 02:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Because he's not good enough, that's why lol.  It isn't hard at all to connect the dots.  It goes right over your head.  They wish he could go out there and run all the routes and be some type of threat but he's not.  Not at this point anyway.

Nothing going over my head here at all, bud.
You made an unwise assumption about how they would use him and you were wrong. 
That's it.

You can try to cover your bad take with "he's so bad they aren't even trying to use him the way I said they would" but I'm not buying that. They keep giving Tank Bigsby chances to run and catch despite turnovers and a horrendous line. 

Yet yer boy - to be utilized like Sam LaPorta and Dallas Goedert according to you - has received a whopping total of SEVEN TARGETS in 12 games. 

He's meant to be an inline blocker who occasionally gets a target. 
If he develops some great receiving skillset - and Doug ends up with Strange and Engram plus only one competent receiver - That is the only way you'll ever see them use those two the way you've tried to predict it since August and September. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. 

That's the only reason/situation when Doug ever featured a second highly targeted TE in the past.

This was never going to be a Gronk/Hernandez or Ertz/Goedert situation.

The closest Pederson coached comparison would be Ertz and Burton in 2016 when Burton had 60 targets and lots of blocking compared to Ertz's 106 targets.
Obviously the rookie wasn't ready for 60 targets, or even 30 targets,  but it was never going to be more than that and likely less.
It's pretty simple, the better he is and the better he plays the more they will use him.  Right now he isn't any better than Luke Farrell.  If Strange starts to improve they will start to use him more and more.  Hopefully he has a good game Sunday. They would love tonuse him more if he can start making some plays and not be a liability, the better he is the more playing time he will get.

(12-28-2023, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I tend to agree with this above in bold. They dropped the 61st overall pick on him. 7 targets through 12 games with just 4 catches for 34 yards and a TD is probably not the immediate return investment you're looking for with that selection.

Just think if we went 
1. LaPorta
2.Torrence
3. Jones

That would of been an amazing draft and this offense would likely be humming right now.  The position wasn't the problem it was the player.  With that said, next year he could come in and light it up.  Hopefully he does and proves all the doubters wrong including myself, I'd love that

It was too obvious