Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So...are we rolling with Myers as our kicker in 2016?

Quote:The same as they would be with any kicker in the entire league. He better make that kick. I'd be extremely nervous.

Anderson for the Vikings ring a bell? How about Blair Walsh from this past year? Gostkowski missed an XP in the AFC championship game which basically resulted in them having to go for 2 and they lost. Cundiff missed a gimme which would have sent the Ravens to the SB one year.

You're missing the point. No one is claiming Myers is the savior at kicker but there is no reason to draft a kicker. Is Aguayo the greatest kicker alive who has never missed a single kick in his life? No. Has he missed FGs which could have led his team to some wins? Most likely. We can bring in competition at the kicker position but it shouldn't be through the draft.

And I'll answer you this, what if we do dump Myers and draft Aguayo. And then Aguayo has a bad year and Myers is picked up and has a great year? We can play the what if game all day long. But at the end of the day, they are kickers. They most likely won't determine if you are going to win a SB or not. They play a role but its the offense and defense that will lead us to the promise land.

Up until Myers being our kicker, I would agree with you.

But Myers put us in some wierd spots with his missed extra points.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

5 pages arguing about a kicker...

It's most definitely the dead season.

So many people are hung up on the PAT thing.  PAT's were different this past season in that they were basically short field goal tries rather than the usual "give me" that they always have been.  The "shoulda, woulda, coulda" crowd needs to let it go.

You're never going to get perfection out of the team in all 3 phases of the game.  Give me a kicker that can make more times than not those 40+ yard field goals.  If PAT's are such a problem as far as winning or losing, then that tells me that the offense and defense needs to do a better job.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

He can be pretty deadly with those 50 yarders.

Nothing more demoralizing for an opponent than having to face a kicker that can make those.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:He can be pretty deadly with those 50 yarders.

Nothing more demoralizing for an opponent than having to face a kicker that can make those.

Are you suggesting there's a single team, outside the Jaguars, who are "demoralized" when Myers lines up to kick?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/extra-point-percentage'>https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/extra-point-percentage</a>

Myers ranked 38 of 39 players (including a punter)  in xp percentage of those who attempted extra points last season.

The player he "beat out" also made a 58 yard FG last season, but isn't on an NFL roster.

No matter what nonsense you spew, nothing "evens" that out.

Simply asinine.

But feel free to continue.  You only make yourself look that much more inept.

How many of the listed players were rookies along w/playing catch up w/respect to being behind the eight ball?

NH3...
"AZANE"

I have to agree with pirkster on his take.

Quote:I just want to ask you a simple question.

How would you feel if we were in a home playoff game with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, and Blake Bortles lit em up for 4 TDS and 338 yards passing. Yeldon racks up 150 on the ground. Fowler has 2.5 sacks and we have been grinding all game.

We come back from 21 points in the 2nd half...the score is 35 to 37 with New England leading. There is 4 seconds remaining after Billecek ices our kicker.

If we make this kick we go to the AFC Championship game and play for a Super Bowl bid.

On trots Jason Myers to kick a 33 yard Field Goal......

What are your thoughts at this moment?

Well Myers was 8/8 on FGs between 30-39 yards so there's that. If it were a PAT on the other hand...

Quote:5 pages arguing about a kicker...

It's most definitely the dead season.

So many people are hung up on the PAT thing.  PAT's were different this past season in that they were basically short field goal tries rather than the usual "give me" that they always have been.  The "shoulda, woulda, coulda" crowd needs to let it go.

You're never going to get perfection out of the team in all 3 phases of the game.  Give me a kicker that can make more times than not those 40+ yard field goals.  If PAT's are such a problem as far as winning or losing, then that tells me that the offense and defense needs to do a better job.

Myer's missed PATS are glaring as they led the league, however, if you look at those league numbers you're going to notice a ton of misses all over the place. I'd watch the cut-ups of every game and was constantly noticing missed PATs. What encourages me is that it's something very specific for Myers to work on this offseason. I'm sure he's out there at times kicking nothing but 35-yarders. He may just learn to nail that kick and won't every miss a PAT again.

Still, Myers' overall accuracy has room for improvement. His numbers outside of missed PATs aren't bad at all, but he has a chance to be one of the most accurate in the game if he were to learn to control his depth. Some of you may recall back when Scobee was coming off a really bad season in his early years. They brought in an expert to work with him, and Scobee realized that he didn't have to kick every ball over the uprights. He learned to lighten up on his shorter kicks, and the result was him nailing most kicks dead center between the square made by the posts. Myers has that same habit of kicking every kick, whether from 25 or 45, over the top of the uprights, but there's no need to kick them so hard. Rein in some of that power and it might help him improve his accuracy to near perfect numbers.

'02

Quote:They most likely won't determine if you are going to win a SB or not.

How many Super Bowls and games have been decided by a field goal?

Quote:How many Super Bowls and games have been decided by a field goal?
How many teams have even made a SB because they have the best kicker and their team is below average.

We need talent on defense. I'm not arguing against bringing in competition. Just don't want to draft one.

We got some competition now. Part of me thinks though that Dave will be hitting that waiver wire when kickers start to get cut though.

Quote:I hope so.

He missed a couple big ones .. good I say.  Best to get them out of the way in the throw away season.  Those days are behind us forever I hope..  All hail, and thanks to the Great Khan and his most excellent minion Dave.

A kicker is like a team's secret family recipe..  they should be nurtured and kept around forever if they have the right stuff. 

As far as I am concerned the 'misses' last year were as much function of the NAYSAYERS on this board who bring their bad-luck NEGATIVE-WAVES during the games no less!!!  Criticize and call for heads all you like after the game-clock winds down to zero, but not a fraction of a second before!!

The 'kick' in an important moment is about more than merely the kicker and his leg.  It is a collective moment of energy for everyone with a stake in the outcome.  Jason Myers himself is merely the conduit to channel our hopes toward.  

I believe in him..   He has my 100% support.  I hope he learns to kick with such consistency that we can call him our own "Automatica" for the next 18-20 years..
It's like the Bud commercial where everyone faces their beer labels towards the kicker. It's all in the JUJU we must have faith.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC