Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thoughts on Jags FA, Draft, future...

Quote:Rashad Greene, Telvin Smith, Chris Smith, Denard Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Rod Issac, Austen Lane, Larry Hart, Jarrett Dillard, Thomas Williams, Trae Williams, Uchi Nwaneri, Josh Gattis, Derek Landri, Brent Hawkins...

That's going back 10 years. Sounded nicer when you cherry pick the best names out.

On a positive note, Jags have had more success in the 5th round than a lot of teams because the 5th round is historically bad.

But yea, kicker in the 5th for sure.

I was mad about a punter in the 3rd. Guaranteed starter in the 5th I'm all for that.

To be fair Gene drafted the turds you mentioned. You could also name first, second and third rounders that Gene drafted and it would resonate the same.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, it was more this ridiculous statement:

Honestly, I don't even care if he's guaranteed the 3rd best kicker in the league. I still wouldn't draft him.  The top 10 FG% teams this year?

Dallas, NYG, Sea, Indy, DET, NE, Ari, SanFran, Cleve, Tenn

Of those teams, 3 made the playoffs. Having a good kicker is important but you don't need to draft one to find one. Look for boom or bust players. Players who have slipped due to personal problems. Players coming off injuries. Anything other than a kicker/punter.

Quote:If you don't fix the D it won't matter how good our O is. Defense wins trophies. Wouldn't be mad at Tunsil. He's a beast. But I'm projecting Dallas to get him to protect Romo.
But they already have Tyron Smith.

They have a great young OL.  There would be no point in them drafting Tunsil.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Great kicker in college doesn't equate to great kicker in the NFL.

Fun fact: Seth Marler was a Groza Award winner.

On the other hand,  some of the best NFL Kickers past and present were UDRFAs that were released at least once before establishing themselves.

Quote:Rashad Greene, Telvin Smith, Chris Smith, Denard Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Rod Issac, Austen Lane, Larry Hart, Jarrett Dillard, Thomas Williams, Trae Williams, Uchi Nwaneri, Josh Gattis, Derek Landri, Brent Hawkins...

That's going back 10 years. Sounded nicer when you cherry pick the best names out.

On a positive note, Jags have had more success in the 5th round than a lot of teams because the 5th round is historically bad.

But yea, kicker in the 5th for sure.

I was mad about a punter in the 3rd. Guaranteed starter in the 5th I'm all for that.

Rod Isaac...lol. Gene was a try hard that failed miserably.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't know if you should NEVER draft a kicker.

I recall Josh Scobee being a 5th round pick for us and turning out pretty well.

Steven Gostkowski was a draft pick of New England who turned out great for them.

Now the Raiders went way too far and drafted Janikowski with a first round pick, but he turned out great for them.

But especially for a team with the holes this team has, I would shy away from drafting a position that is often filled in UDFA (i.e. Mike Hollis).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't know if you should NEVER draft a kicker.

I recall Josh Scobee being a 5th round pick for us and turning out pretty well.

Steven Gostkowski was a draft pick of New England who turned out great for them.

Now the Raiders went way too far and drafted Janikowski with a first round pick, but he turned out great for them.

But especially for a team with the holes this team has, I would shy away from drafting a position that is often filled in UDFA (i.e. Mike Hollis).
Yea. You never draft one. No reason too because of your last sentence. It's a position that can easily be filled in other ways.

The year Scobee was drafted? Michael Turner was available, Gibril Wilson, Scott Wells

Quote:Yea. You never draft one. No reason too because of your last sentence. It's a position that can easily be filled in other ways.

The year Scobee was drafted? Michael Turner was available, Gibril Wilson, Scott Wells

One could argue Scobee had more value to the Jags than any of those guys.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."