Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thoughts on Jags FA, Draft, future...

First off I see Gus fired with another top 5 draft pick type of season. I may be wrong but with your future on the line wouldn't you try to bring in as much firepower as you could via FA? I know Dave controls the ink pen that decides the offers but he's tied to Gus as well. That was his man. I'm going out on a limb and saying the Jags are going to go heavy in FA.

My take is you have to upgrade FS. You can't rely on James Sample yet. He's not someone I'm wanting to cut but we have to sign a guy like Tashaun Gipson or Draft Ramsey for FS. We have to have a ballhawk back there.

If we do sign Gipson, Nelson, Weddle, etc I think we are not drafting Ramsey. I know he can play CB too but I don't see the Jags targeting him for that. If we sign a FS I fully expect Myles Jack to be our new LB.

To add to the list, pass rush and corners have to be upgraded. The free agent list is amazing this year to cherry pick with. I know some people blame pass rush, etc, but I'm one of the guys that say our corners are just out of place, and our scheme didn't put the defense in a position to succeed. New DC and new CBs are a must. The only CB I would keep on our roster is Aaron Colvin.

I really would like to see 2 top tier CBs brought in. Janoris Jenkins is my personal favorite. Trumaine Johnson another Ram who had 7 picks with good size (6-2). These guys would be huge upgrades. Brandon Boykin is an underrated FA too. The list is pretty impressive overall with Patrick Robinson and Casey Heyward. I would even give Morris Claiborne another chance. I think it's imperative the Jags target and sign 2 potential difference makers on the market at CB.

At DE we have a little less options, but Malik Jackson would be a personal favorite, however he fits the mold of Odrick. I see us going for 1 DE like Tamba Hali, Bruce Irvin, Nick Perry, maybe an Aldon Smith if he's cleared.

Would also pursue a DT, particularly Jaye Howard depending on money.

Jags have a ton of options in round 2/3 of the draft, still too early to tell who will be there but I've seen Robert Nkemdiche fall into the late 1. If you come out of the draft with Ramsey/Jack with Nkemdiche even from a trade up I'd be in favor of it. We need elite pass rush obviously but that may be something to pursue harder in 2017.

Let me say, I've only talked about defense because that is what I feel needs addressed. As far as O I'm confident in them and think we should bolster OL if possible but don't break the bank for anything but defense. If we can play better D the O is good enough to do some damage in the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just to add I would not cut ALL the corners but Colvin. I'd keep House as well for a inside guy. I like what Nick Marshall has done in limited playing time. Gratz is a waste to me.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016, 10:27 AM by Haterade.)

Caldwell can't spend too much seeing how Luck is going to break the market, and Bortles is better than Luck. Caldwell is going to have to pay quite a few hefty extensions soon.

If Tunsil is there, we take him. I don't believe anyone is sold on Joeckel

If you don't fix the D it won't matter how good our O is. Defense wins trophies. Wouldn't be mad at Tunsil. He's a beast. But I'm projecting Dallas to get him to protect Romo.

Quote:If you don't fix the D it won't matter how good our O is. Defense wins trophies. Wouldn't be mad at Tunsil. He's a beast. But I'm projecting Dallas to get him to protect Romo.
Carolina didn't lose due to lack of defense

House will play outside and will likely be the top corner on the depth chart. Again.

Camp will determine if Colvin plays outside, nickel or both again.

I do expect them to find another CB to play either slot or opposite House. There are some good ones in the draft this year that should be there in the third round. Marshall can compete with whoever they bring in and will be decent depth\ST.

Obviously they have to add pass rushers and a free safety. Those are the top priorities. I think they sign the best they can manage and spend big doing it.

I think they still draft high on one or both depending on the free agents' age and talent level.

Don't forget center and guard. They need to upgrade one or the other depending on where they place Cann. Beadles was horrible and Wiz had some bad games too.

The offense has the ability to score with who they have. Unit will have another year under their belt. If we could get some consistency on D who we have on O will be fine.

I'd sign a OG and draft Max Tuerk in the 4th round. Cann, Beadles, and Linder will be fine at OG.

Too many holes to fill in one offseason. Bortles and the WRs will be huge long term deals but we can handle that. Joeckel will be let go and that'll make a huge cap savings. Let's be honest he's not getting more than 3 mill a year after this contract.

Quote:The offense has the ability to score with who they have. Unit will have another year under their belt. If we could get some consistency on D who we have on O will be fine.

I'd sign a OG and draft Max Tuerk in the 4th round. Cann, Beadles, and Linder will be fine at OG.

Beadles is either gone or gets restructured as a back-up. He's been played off of the field by two young third rounders.

I do

think they will sign a center or guard in FA. Drafting one in mid rounds is also possible.

Just playing on fanspeak I drafted these guys in 6 rounds

Myles Jack

Robert Nkemdiche

Karl Joesph

Max Tuerk OC USC

Robert Aguayo

DJ Reader DT Clemson

Victor Ochi DE Stoney Brook

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016, 10:55 AM by haveaseat.)

Do people realize this was House's first time as a starter? Learning a new scheme? And still broke the pass break up record for us? The guy is still young and has so much upside. Anyone who wants him replaced is crazy.

Ramsey will be the pick as long as he does not fail the combine

Quote:Ramsey will be the pick as long as he does not fail the combine

Rumor is Ramsey is the Cowboys' number 1 prospect. I'm betting Bosa or Jack (and maybe Spence) will be our pick.

Bosa is going to Cleveland. No more epic QB fails.

Quote:Just playing on fanspeak I drafted these guys in 6 rounds

Myles Jack

Robert Nkemdiche

Karl Joesph

Max Tuerk OC USC

Robert Aguayo

DJ Reader DT Clemson

Victor Ochi DE Stoney Brook
Drafting a kicker..... SMH

Waste

5th round????? Lol cmon that's weak for the best kicker and a position that lost us games.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM by ATLjag.)

Quote:First off I see Gus fired with another top 5 draft pick type of season. I may be wrong but with your future on the line wouldn't you try to bring in as much firepower as you could via FA? I know Dave controls the ink pen that decides the offers but he's tied to Gus as well. That was his man. I'm going out on a limb and saying the Jags are going to go heavy in FA.

...DC has expressed that they will be active in FA.  Both he and Gus are under pressure to meet Khan's winning season expectation.  There are a number of needs, and rookies usually take time to adjust to the NFL.

My take is you have to upgrade FS. You can't rely on James Sample yet. He's not someone I'm wanting to cut but we have to sign a guy like Tashaun Gipson or Draft Ramsey for FS. We have to have a ballhawk back there.

...Sample and Cyprien are slotted to the strong safety role.  Based on DC's comment about how hard it is to find a good FS, and not mentioning Brown, it doesn't appear that Sergio is being penciled in as the future starter.  I can absolutely see DC going hard again at an "A" list free agent free safety.

If we do sign Gipson, Nelson, Weddle, etc I think we are not drafting Ramsey. I know he can play CB too but I don't see the Jags targeting him for that. If we sign a FS I fully expect Myles Jack to be our new LB.

...For the 5th pick, if the needs have been addressed in free agency, I see them taking likely the best defensive player available, with the priority being pass rusher before secondary.  It would not surprise me to see Dallas take Myles Jack. 

To add to the list, pass rush and corners have to be upgraded. The free agent list is amazing this year to cherry pick with. I know some people blame pass rush, etc, but I'm one of the guys that say our corners are just out of place, and our scheme didn't put the defense in a position to succeed. New DC and new CBs are a must. The only CB I would keep on our roster is Aaron Colvin.

...House played well most of the season and Marshall is worth continuing development.  McCray and Gratz could be replaced.      

I really would like to see 2 top tier CBs brought in. Janoris Jenkins is my personal favorite. Trumaine Johnson another Ram who had 7 picks with good size (6-2). These guys would be huge upgrades. Brandon Boykin is an underrated FA too. The list is pretty impressive overall with Patrick Robinson and Casey Heyward. I would even give Morris Claiborne another chance. I think it's imperative the Jags target and sign 2 potential difference makers on the market at CB.

...I think they like House and Colvin in starting roles, and would be targeting just one 'top tier' to play either outside or nickle.

At DE we have a little less options, but Malik Jackson would be a personal favorite, however he fits the mold of Odrick. I see us going for 1 DE like Tamba Hali, Bruce Irvin, Nick Perry, maybe an Aldon Smith if he's cleared.

...When Fowler and Marks went down, the lack of productive pass rush depth was a killer, and DC acknowledged it.  We will definitely see 2-3 new pass rushers along the DL.

Would also pursue a DT, particularly Jaye Howard depending on money.

Jags have a ton of options in round 2/3 of the draft, still too early to tell who will be there but I've seen Robert Nkemdiche fall into the late 1. If you come out of the draft with Ramsey/Jack with Nkemdiche even from a trade up I'd be in favor of it. We need elite pass rush obviously but that may be something to pursue harder in 2017.

...they won't wait until 2017 to pursue pass rush.  Fowler is coming off an ACL, Marks has had 2 significant injuries, and both Clemons and Branch will be gone.  They can not wait.

Let me say, I've only talked about defense because that is what I feel needs addressed. As far as O I'm confident in them and think we should bolster OL if possible but don't break the bank for anything but defense. If we can play better D the O is good enough to do some damage in the playoffs.

...I am certain that they will either sign in free agency a solid center or a guard (to shift Cann to center).  Unfortuately, it appears that the team is going to live another year with Joeckel.  

Fair points but you're describing a big time offseason and we are talking about the Jaguars. Always leave room for letdown...

Quote:Rumor is Ramsey is the Cowboys' number 1 prospect. I'm betting Bosa or Jack (and maybe Spence) will be our pick.
since thats the rumor im betting he isnt. I hope they take Ramsey thougg

Quote:Fair points but you're describing a big time offseason and we are talking about the Jaguars. Always leave room for letdown...
If free agency is a letdown, it won't be for lack of trying. It will be because players take the same or less money to play elsewhere/stay put.

Caldwell is going to go hard after any available upgrades. He's got money to burn, and a green light from the owner.