Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor YPC

Quote:Nah, actually, others had already made the argument for me. All you had to do was open up the Times-Union sports page from 1996-1999 and see which high-priced free agent the Jaguars were pursuing that week, then flip over to the middle of section A for the Weavers' latest charitable contribution. You really would have needed to embed your head in a sandbox to think that the Weavers were "cheap".
That's the problem be your own man and make your statement instead of hiding like a cowards and piggybacking off of other people thoughts and insight on the situation. I know the weavers don't much more charitable things throughout their tenure here and until this very day. I also know that he spent money in the 90's with bryce paup, hardy nickleson, leon sercy, carnell lake and many others during that era. However, during the late 2000's and right before he sold the team he had del rio assistants on one year deals, refuse to fire him partly because he overpaid jack del rio and hired gene smith within where they were better candidate for the position. I'm tired of arguing about the crap and unlike you i appreciate the others like Bulleye and ijagalive on here who brought respect and insight to my flawed debate. See you would say something like that to me when it's insulting but at the same time wouldn't say that same thing thing if i was in your presences. I never say that i'm right about everything and always to hear other people point of view on things but the last i deserve is to be disrespected by you as a man in the process. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

^^^ This Clown lol

Quote:I think that TC not being a Gator/good ol boy hurt him here when the team started to lose.  I think whereas fans might have given him a little more leeway given his past record here, but since he wasn't, everything else was held against him as you and NYC Jags pointed out.  Was it the main factor in his firing?  No, but a factor?  I think so.  This is the same fan base that produced "Gator Skins" and "Bronc Gators."

As to the text in bold, I hated those days.  I hated that dynamic.  Those days made me question the viability of the NFL here.

I remember Weaver admitting firing TC was a mistake, but I think the fans forced his hands.

I wonder what direction TC would have taken in that 2003 draft. 

If Coughlin were making the selection I get the feeling he would have taken Suggs going by what he had been doing in the prior years. He was a needs guy and he also had an uncanny ability to evaluate QBs so I don't think he would have fallen for the Leftwich hype and instead would have continued building the defensive line.

Quote:That's the problem be your own man and make your statement instead of hiding like a cowards and piggybacking off of other people thoughts and insight on the situation. I know the weavers don't much more charitable things throughout their tenure here and until this very day. I also know that he spent money in the 90's with bryce paup, hardy nickleson, leon sercy, carnell lake and many others during that era. However, during the late 2000's and right before he sold the team he had del rio assistants on one year deals, refuse to fire him partly because he overpaid jack del rio and hired gene smith within where they were better candidate for the position. I'm tired of arguing about the crap and unlike you i appreciate the others like Bulleye and ijagalive on here who brought respect and insight to my flawed debate. See you would say something like that to me when it's insulting but at the same time wouldn't say that same thing thing if i was in your presences. I never say that i'm right about everything and always to hear other people point of view on things but the last i deserve is to be disrespected by you as a man in the process. 
*shrug*

If you don't want to be told that you've said something dumb, don't say dumb things.

So does this mean </thread>?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Calling the Weavers "cheap" is the second-dumbest thing I've read all day, but not by much.

Nobody was calling them cheap back when Michael Huyghue was the GM.

'02

Quote:Interesting. I don't remember anything about his willingness to step away from being GM.  If that's true, it's quite unfortunate that he and Weaver couldn't come together on a better way to move forward. 

And yes, here's hoping the current regime's plan starts clicking soon and has more longevity. 

Neither do I. I always figured he'd never agree to just being the HC, and I don't recall any media statements suggesting he might. I'm wondering what FBT saw/heard to make him think TC was willing to make the move.

'02

Quote:Neither do I. I always figured he'd never agree to just being the HC, and I don't recall any media statements suggesting he might. I'm wondering what FBT saw/heard to make him think TC was willing to make the move.

FBT's memory on the events is correct.  I can't find a source but he was willing to loosen the reigns.  The Club and Box owners wanted him gone yesterday and that was the money talking.

This is the closest I can get to an overall discussion of that hard working season where they overachieved with a poor roster

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/...89855.html

But yeah I remember his willingness and I was in the pitchfork crowd attending the Del Rio event.  Oh boy and oh my.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:FBT's memory on the events is correct.  I can't find a source but he was willing to loosen the reigns.  The Club and Box owners wanted him gone yesterday and that was the money talking.

This is the closest I can get to an overall discussion of that hard working season where they overachieved with a poor roster

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/...89855.html

But yeah I remember his willingness and I was in the pitchfork crowd attending the Del Rio event.  Oh boy and oh my.

He's done many an interview with the local media over the years and the subject has come up.  I know I've heard him say this a couple of times to local guys over the air on TV and radio.  He wasn't entrenched in his mindset of being the GM for the team.  He said in almost every instance that if Weaver had approached him about relinquishing the duties, he would have done so without a fight. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]