Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2014 World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote:There's also people per country as well which helps the US, obviously.

Right, but it isn't just a "United States has more people" thing. 34 of the top 35 broadcasts last fall were regular season NFL broadcasts. It isn't like the NFL is getting bailed out by population numbers. The NFL is absolutely destroying any other broadcasts within the country. More people watched the AFC and NFC Championship games than the Oscars which is pretty mind-blowing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Who was arguing it's a global sport? I'm well aware that Soccer and Cricket >>> American football when it comes to global interest. My point was that Americans care as much (or more) about American Football than other countries.

.aspx[/url]

Ah right, I must have misunderstood your post which compared viewing figures with other leagues around the world.

But yes, I don't think anyone would argue that the NFL is the number one sport in the US at the moment. And yes it does appear to put all other sports in the shade in terms of viewing figures

So here's a question, do you think soccer can eat into that market in the US ? And could it overtake lesser sports like baseball and ice hockey ?

Quote:Right, but it isn't just a "United States has more people" thing. 34 of the top 35 broadcasts last fall were regular season NFL broadcasts. It isn't like the NFL is getting bailed out by population numbers. The NFL is absolutely destroying any other broadcasts within the country. More people watched the AFC and NFC Championship games than the Oscars which is pretty mind-blowing.
I get that, and that is correct. But comparisons were being made between the NFL and soccer leagues across the country. The numbers here in the U.S. definitely help in what is being shown. If you go per capita, you will see a better indicator. Much like you can't compare the WC to the SB, you also would have to go per capita when you are comparing the SB to a CL final for example. IMO.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Ah right, I must have misunderstood your post which compared viewing figures with other leagues around the world.

But yes, I don't think anyone would argue that the NFL is the number one sport in the US at the moment. And yes it does appear to put all other sports in the shade in terms of viewing figures

So here's a question, do you think soccer can eat into that market in the US ? And could it overtake lesser sports like baseball and ice hockey ?
To answer your last question, I think that has started. The MLS has grown exponentially the last 4 or o years here and it's only getting bigger.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Ah right, I must have misunderstood your post which compared viewing figures with other leagues around the world.

I think that is a tricky question. Soccer as an overall sport probably already has overtaken hockey and is closing in on baseball. But the MLS, as a domestic league, will never overtake MLB. But as a whole (MLS + EPL + World Cup + Copa America + Liga MX) soccer is close to being the third most popular sport behind American football and basketball.

With the rising awareness of head injuries in football, I definitely see parents getting their kids involved in sports with less contact like soccer and lacrosse. It all stats with youth, IMO.

Quote:Comparison might not be fully correct, perhaps illustration is a better word to use. It just so happens that the Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event in America and therefor the closest equal to the kind of fervor the World Cup generates. No matter which two teams make the finals, I can practically guarantee those countries will effectively shut down on gameday.

And I don't follow the domestic league beyond a casual interest but I prefer Ajax over the others. Interestingly my dad is also an Ajax fan, my sister is a diehard PSV fan and she's married to a Feyenoord fan though he doesn't take soccer very seriously outside of national games. 
Nice.. always fun to have a little family rivalry... i liked that mid christian eriksen that ajax had a few years back but he went to tottenham who i really dont like lol... ajax seems to always have a club full of up and coming youth who go on to be solid at big clubs... makes me wonder why they dont keep a few of em and make a push for the champions cup.

And it's a quick 2-0 lead by the Krauts.

Well, make that 3-0 now.

Germany is destroying Brazil right now.

And now 4-0. Good Lord.

I have seen better defense on Saturday morning 14 year old squads.

5-0. Someone blow the rape whistle.

Geez, by the time this is all said and done Germany could be up 10-0. Seriously.

This is embarassing

I told everyone earlier that those wins against teams like Chile and Colombia were nothing more than Pyrrhic Victories. 

Anyone thinking that 1-0 doesn't look so bad now ?

A 1-0 loss stopped looking bad about an hour ago.

Quote:Anyone thinking that 1-0 doesn't look so bad now ?

It didn't look bad then...

Brazil...LOL.  That was awful.  I mean....wow.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus