Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone else still believe in Yeldon?

Quote:He's serviceable which is pretty much what everyone thought when he came out. Can get tough yards make people miss, good in the passing game but has no 2nd gear and isn't a big play threat. I wanted David Johnson that year but I think the reason they took Yeldon was he was NFL ready, shortsighted I guess.

Yeah, I know what you're saying about David Johnson. .. I wanted Tevin Coleman.

Yeldon took most of us by surprise. What I liked about him tho, and what I feel Caldwell liked when he drafted him, was his moves. Yeldon wasn't overly explosive or fast, but dude had moves galore. In tight quarters, he can be very elusive, and one of the biggest issues with the Jaguars was getting those tight, tough yards.

That said, a good OC should be able to utilize the talent we have. We have a guy who can be a bell cow if he stays healthy in Ivory ... We have a guy who can give Ivory a breath in Yeldon ... and then we have a legit scat back with breakout speed in Corey Grant.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:<b>...</b>

That said, a good OC should be able to utilize the talent we have. We have a guy who can be a bell cow if he stays healthy in Ivory ... We have a guy who can give Ivory a breath in Yeldon ... and then we have a legit scat back with breakout speed in Corey Grant.

That signals the end of the Denard Robinson "experiment".  He's a good athlete but not a very good RB.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:That signals the end of the Denard Robinson "experiment". He's a good athlete but not a very good RB.
Players and their success from one team to the next is a funny thing.

It's obvious to me that because a guy can do horribly on one team get traded and do great the next year on the new team that sometimes it's not exclusively a players ability that determines how well they perform.

So it's easy to sit here and say denard isn't a good RB. Because of how poorly he did here.

But he is fast and he does have some l

Elusiveness.

So could he go to another team and do well? Absolutely.

Could a new coaching staff here Cha get his fate? Absolutely.

But on The other hand a guy like yeldon who has no real breakaway speed nor power.

Well....He might do a little better with a different coaching staff. But when u have no speed and no power.

There's a definite limit to how well ur gonna do as a RB because like it or not.

Sometimes a RB has to run away or through people to have success.

And that's when yeldon fails.

He will jitter around make a decent nice behind the line and get absolutely hammered.

Loss of one or two yards...

There's no coaching that can give a slow guy speed

Coaching could Improve his power a bit.

But they're not going to make a guy like tj a power back in one or two seasons.

So that leaves us with ivory health issues

And Grant. Who Imho has the most potential of all of our RBS to be great

Grant has blazing speed, he has moves.

He just need to have better ball security and block a lot better.

Coaching can teach him that in one offseason.

If he is a fast learner.

To hell with yeldon and ivory.

Grant is faster than either.

I say give him a shot

Quote:Players and their success from one team to the next is a funny thing.

It's obvious to me that because a guy can do horribly on one team get traded and do great the next year on the new team that sometimes it's not exclusively a players ability that determines how well they perform.

So it's easy to sit here and say denard isn't a good RB. Because of how poorly he did here.

But he is fast and he does have some l

Elusiveness.

So could he go to another team and do well? Absolutely.

Could a new coaching staff here Cha get his fate? Absolutely.

But on The other hand a guy like yeldon who has no real breakaway speed nor power.

Well....He might do a little better with a different coaching staff. But when u have no speed and no power.

There's a definite limit to how well ur gonna do as a RB because like it or not.

Sometimes a RB has to run away or through people to have success.

And that's when yeldon fails.

He will jitter around make a decent nice behind the line and get absolutely hammered.

Loss of one or two yards...

There's no coaching that can give a slow guy speed

Coaching could Improve his power a bit.

But they're not going to make a guy like tj a power back in one or two seasons.

So that leaves us with ivory health issues

And Grant. Who Imho has the most potential of all of our RBS to be great

Grant has blazing speed, he has moves.

He just need to have better ball security and block a lot better.

Coaching can teach him that in one offseason.

If he is a fast learner.

To hell with yeldon and ivory.

Grant is faster than either.

I say give him a shot

I am Jags02 and I second this message.

'02

I was so wrong about Yeldon. I completely whiffed on him. I don't think he will ever rush for 1000 yards. And he won't ever score 5 TDS in season. He's strictly a backup or 3rd down guy.

He's a J.A.G.

He is not the type of runner we need. He can make people miss but doesn't have great vision. Ivory needs to stop trying to run people over cause he loses the ball to much. We need another runner like Fred. Who out there runs like Fred. 

Quote:He is not the type of runner we need. He can make people miss but doesn't have great vision. Ivory needs to stop trying to run people over cause he loses the ball to much. We need another runner like Fred. Who out there runs like Fred.
No-one

Quote:But he's really not as bad as you're making him out to be so I'm still waiting to note down something that you're right about.
Whos not as bad

whos making him out to be bad

im confused

Quote:He is not the type of runner we need. He can make people miss but doesn't have great vision. Ivory needs to stop trying to run people over cause he loses the ball to much. We need another runner like Fred. Who out there runs like Fred.

Joe Mixon.

There is just nothing about Yeldon that stands out. He isn't that fast, he isn't a bruising runner, not a great blocker... he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield, but that's about it. He just doesn't have any skills that are developed enough to beat professionals.  

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:There is just nothing about Yeldon that stands out. He isn't that fast, he isn't a bruising runner, not a great blocker... he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield, but that's about it. He just doesn't have any skills that are developed enough to beat professionals.  
Yeldon is the best pass blocking RB on this roster, by a far margin. He's also by far the best pass catching RB on this roster. 

He lacks the break away speed everybody wants as a #1 RB, but he has everything else.

He'll never be a star RB, but he's every bit of a long term solid RB. His biggest knock was his fumbles and that hasn't been an issue at the NFL level.

He has solid vision and solid shiftyness. Give him a good run blocking game and he'll be just fine.

And I'm not saying that we can't add another RB, I'm just saying, Yeldon isn't the issue. He's going to be a solid RB in this league for a long time. Not an elite RB, but he's easily a solid RB in this league.

Quote:Whos not as bad

whos making him out to be bad

im confused

I think I confused myself.

I now see you were sort of putting words in Seldom Rite's mouth... I hadn't noticed the quotation marks.

'02

Quote:Yeldon is the best pass blocking RB on this roster, by a far margin. He's also by far the best pass catching RB on this roster.

He lacks the break away speed everybody wants as a #1 RB, but he has everything else.

He'll never be a star RB, but he's every bit of a long term solid RB. His biggest knock was his fumbles and that hasn't been an issue at the NFL level.

He has solid vision and solid shiftyness. Give him a good run blocking game and he'll be just fine.

And I'm not saying that we can't add another RB, I'm just saying, Yeldon isn't the issue. He's going to be a solid RB in this league for a long time. Not an elite RB, but he's easily a solid RB in this league.

He has everything but break away speed, Yeldon is a smooth back that routinely makes guys miss in small spaces, he has rare lateral agility for a man his size. Like you mentioned, he's solid in pass pro, and catches the ball well out of the backfield. Yeldon is a good player who will benefit immensely from an upgrade at both guard positions. My prediction is Yeldon will breakout in 2017 the sane way Marqise broke out this year.

Yeldon is a decent player but when I watch him it never crosses my mind that he is irreplaceable. I don't find myself wanting the coach to put the team on his back to change the game. This team needs a RB that has the potential to take over games. This team needs a RB that lines up and has the fans thinking, "Ok, this could be the one where he breaks it for a TD." This is going to sting a little, but I don't see much more value in Yeldon over that of Denard.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Its 2017, the only team thats putting whole games on the back of a running back is dallas.

A running game that keeps our offense varied and defenses honest is what matters

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM by JagsFanJay.)

Quote:Its 2017, the only team thats putting whole games on the back of a running back is dallas.

A running game that keeps our offense varied and defenses honest is what matters

That's simply not true. 

In 2016 Zeke Elliott carried the ball 322 times and the next RB on the dallas roster had 69 carries, but other teams had very similar distributions.

The Cards passing game dipped big time last season, but David Johnson had 293 carries to carry that team. The next RB on the roster had 34 carries.

The Bears passing game was pathetic. The only points they seemed to score was on the ground. Jordan Howard carried the offense with 252 carries and the next RB on the roster had 62 carries. 

The Rams offense was putrid. What measly amount of points they did score came from Todd Gurley who even though he was bad, carried a very bad offense with 278 carries compared to the next RB on the roster with 21 carries.

Miami turned into a running team this year. Jay Ajayi became one of the best RB's in the league and carried the ball 260 times while the next highest RB for the Dolphins had 35 carries. 

This is not even taking into account teams like Carolina, San Diego and New England who had balanced offenses, but had running games that were lead largely by a single runner who dominated the carries, but some people could argue that Dallas would fall into this category as well, since Dak Prescott had a record setting year for a rookie QB. 

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017, 06:08 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:That's simply not true.

In 2016 Zeke Elliott carried the ball 322 times and the next RB on the dallas roster had 69 carries, but other teams had very similar distributions.

The Cards passing game dipped big time last season, but David Johnson had 293 carries to carry that team. The next RB on the roster had 34 carries.

The Bears passing game was pathetic. The only points they seemed to score was on the ground. Jordan Howard carried the offense with 252 carries and the next RB on the roster had 62 carries.

The Rams offense was putrid. What measly amount of points they did score came from Todd Gurley who even though he was bad, carried a very bad offense with 278 carries compared to the next RB on the roster with 21 carries.

Miami turned into a running team this year. Jay Ajayi became one of the best RB's in the league and carried the ball 260 times while the next highest RB for the Dolphins had 35 carries.

This is not even taking into account teams like Carolina, San Diego and New England who had balanced offenses, but had running games that were lead largely by a single runner who dominated the carries, but some people could argue that Dallas would fall into this category as well, since Dak Prescott had a record setting year for a rookie QB.
The cards could and did win by passing. You named a bunch of teams outside of miami that suck at everything besides running. Them having no choice but to run isnt the same as actually planning for a back to take over a game.

With a legit focus on the run, Ivory could take over games. As for Yeldon, I feel he's capable off the bench to give Ivory a breather when needed without much of drop off, and Yeldon could certainly start a game or two if Ivory gets hurt.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2017, 05:23 AM by haveaseat.)

So I've been watching cut-ups on Yeldon for awhile tonight and I still believe in this guy hardcore. He's literally Le'veon Bell but faster. Yes, even faster as crazy as you might think that sounds. Even though he did run a faster 40 at the combine for whatever thats worth to you. If you give him a scheme with halfway decent run blocking he will succeed. There was so much penetration behind the LoS this year on run plays he couldn't ever put his foot in the ground to decide direction.