Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has the team really not made progress? A quick look.

Quote:Offense was flat the first 4 games and the defense went backwards.  Games 4 to 5 contrast "looked" like improvement in some areas, but it was probably also the weakest opponent we had faced.  

I'm not sure what criteria you use to determine improvement.  It's hard to see where a 9 point output scores a plus.

I would dispute the "weakest opponent" comment.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The rushing doesn't seem to be right, difference graph wise shouldnt be that huge when there is only a 43 yard difference between the first 5 games.  It looks like you have it at almost 600 yards rushing when it's 335
Like your american horror story avatar

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Those bar graphs sure were pretty!  Well done!

So basically, we're the same team as last year...  But we have a QB that potentially can be a super-star.   

Judging the team after each week is what football fans do.  Our offense looked horrible last week for the most part.  In typical Fish fashion, we came out pretty strong and floundered at the end.  Our O-Line was so inconsitant, BB5 began not trusting it.  BB5's mental clock sped up and he was looking to hit his 1st read every time...  

I expect BB5 to get the offense back on track.  But as many on here have said, if the OC cannot figure out how to adjust to his personnel and what the opponent is throwing at us, we may never really turn it around.  The O-Line is supposed to gel eventually, but we don't know when that will be.  But without BB5 trusting them, this could be an exercise in futility.

On the D side, I thought the SD game was a precursor of what happened against the squeelers.  Yes, if you just looked at the score of the SD game you'd think our D was horrid.  And in part you'd be right, but I think alot of it also had to do with a great QB.

Against a mediocre and inaccurate QB the squeelers have, we saw a D that gave up a few big plays but never got burned.  A D that only gave up 10 points.  If this trend continues, it would be a welcome change.

Every game is a snap shot that can be discussed within the overall picture.

The overall picture is that from 2013 to 2014 there as been slight progress, but one that cannot be seen as significant.  Based on the squeelers game, there is some hope for our D.  And our offense rests in BB5 and the O-Line's hands.

Quote:You would never start a business with a staff that is entirely inexperienced. EVER. The older guys should help train the rookies, it shouldnt be a situation where they all get thrown to the wolves.
I didn't realize older guys were expected to coach the team. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I didn't realize older guys were expected to coach the team.

Somebody has to, the coaches sure arent

Quote:Somebody has to, the coaches sure arent
I disagree. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:We saw the defense hold one of the top offenses in the league to 17 points this past week.  Is that not improvement?  We held them to less than their average for total yardage and points per game despite the fact that they're a top 5 offense. 
They're 18th in points per game, not sure how you get top 5 out of that.  

There are obviously numerous stat categories to compare every week.  Where do you place a 9 point scoring performance?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Empty can? Not very cerebral?

The guy finished college then went BACK and got a Masters degree. If you don't like him fine, but dont insult the man's intelligence.

Quote:You're missing the point....

Belichick don't say much, but its not because theres a lack of the ability to come out and get all technical, he just is a man of few words with the press.

Bradley simply gives you the same old cheerleader / get better crap because I get the impression that its an empty can upstairs and thats all he's got. There is no "genius" or "depth" up there. Its like another Del Rio. Very limited cerebral power.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:Like your american horror story avatar

That clown freaked the [BLEEP] out of me when I saw it lol.

Quote:'Improvement' is a relative term; improved compared to what? Are we somewhat improved compared to last season? In some ways we are....But what matters is are we improved compared to other 'competitive' NFL teams? No, we're still at or near the bottom in too many areas.

Showing a slight improvement compared to the worst start in NFL history is like claiming a swimming pool is cleaner because only 90 people urinated in it instead of 100.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Showing a slight improvement compared to the worst start in NFL history is like claiming a swimming pool is cleaner because only 90 people urinated in it instead of 100.
i second this

Quote:Those bar graphs sure were pretty!  Well done!

So basically, we're the same team as last year...  But we have a QB that potentially can be a super-star.   

Judging the team after each week is what football fans do.  Our offense looked horrible last week for the most part.  In typical Fish fashion, we came out pretty strong and floundered at the end.  Our O-Line was so inconsitant, BB5 began not trusting it.  BB5's mental clock sped up and he was looking to hit his 1st read every time...  

I expect BB5 to get the offense back on track.  But as many on here have said, if the OC cannot figure out how to adjust to his personnel and what the opponent is throwing at us, we may never really turn it around.  The O-Line is supposed to gel eventually, but we don't know when that will be.  But without BB5 trusting them, this could be an exercise in futility.

On the D side, I thought the SD game was a precursor of what happened against the squeelers.  Yes, if you just looked at the score of the SD game you'd think our D was horrid.  And in part you'd be right, but I think alot of it also had to do with a great QB.

Against a mediocre and inaccurate QB the squeelers have, we saw a D that gave up a few big plays but never got burned.  A D that only gave up 10 points.  If this trend continues, it would be a welcome change.

Every game is a snap shot that can be discussed within the overall picture.

The overall picture is that from 2013 to 2014 there as been slight progress, but one that cannot be seen as significant.  Based on the squeelers game, there is some hope for our D.  And our offense rests in BB5 and the O-Line's hands.

Well said.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Caveat emptor would apply here. Thread/
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

The team has made some "progress" I guess.  Frankly, I think the FBT side of the story is micharacterizing the other side of the argument.  No one is arguing that we should be a playoff team right now.  I think the other side just wants to see a bad to mediocre team.  I'd love to strive for mediocrity right now after the crap I've seen the last 2 years.  They need to improve at a little faster pace. 

We are not a significantly better team than last year.  No statistic anyone can provide me would make that point.  We've been outscored by 102 so far.  We only lost by 8 last week, but the offense looked like garbage.  To call last week an improvement is technically true, but should we be happy with just "improving"?  We need to win some freaking games.  That's all that matters.  We can improve every day without winning any games because of how bad we started off.  They need to improve at a greater rate of change than they have been and at a MUCH greater rate than other teams are improving.

0-5 last year getting outscored by 112.

0-5 this year getting outscored by 102.

IMPROVEMENT!

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014, 07:52 AM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I'll spell it out for you so perhaps you can understand it.

The philosophy is to get better.  That means daily, weekly, etc.  Pay no attention to the record (wins and losses) just focus on getting better.  If the players get better daily, then they will be better weekly.  They keep doing that then the wins will come.

It's not rocket science.

You are confusing a "philosophy" with a "mantra".

A philosophy is an ideological view of the world one uses to shape one's outlook and actions.  

A mantra is a sound or phrase used to induce concentration or meditation.  

Getting better every day, week, etc, is not a philosophy.  To me, it's just wishful thinking.  There's nothing wrong with having this type of mantra, but without a true underlying philosophy of how to get better, it's worthless.

Additionally, if your philosophy for how to improve is bogus, you're mantra really won't help anything at all.  The mantra will then become stale and you will lose those you are trying to snake-charm with it.

I hate to state that obvious, but did anybody realize that the chart is blue and orange?

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Has anyone looked at the standings lately? Have you noticed that the JAGS are the "worst team in football"? There is a reason for this guys. In spite of some really good off season moves, the team has only improved on paper.........not on the field. That said, with all the new faces......some of this should have been expected. It's just that nobody expected them to be playing so poorly after 5 games already. Surely, we should have won a game or two. Yes, we should all take a reality pill and admit this team simply isn't very good..........YET!  And, the fans really need to get off the  "which player can I blame this week" bandwagon. Henne's been sitting on the sidelines for the last couple weeks so he can't be the goat anymore, so I guess it's Toby Gerhart's turn to be the real cancer on this team. The "TEAM" is 0-5.........not just one player, two players or 5 players. Enough with the crucifying of individual players. The fans need to grow up and stop calling for the head of any one player every week. The Jaguars are 0-5 for a very good reason and that reason is they simply are not a good football team. A few fans have had their feet on the ground even during preseason warning others to not get "too excited" about this team. Turns out, they were right while many others were wrong (including myself). 

Lessons learned

Quote:Has anyone looked at the standings lately? Have you noticed that the JAGS are the "worst team in football"? There is a reason for this guys. In spite of some really good off season moves, the team has only improved on paper.........not on the field. That said, with all the new faces......some of this should have been expected. It's just that nobody expected them to be playing so poorly after 5 games already. Surely, we should have won a game or two. Yes, we should all take a reality pill and admit this team simply isn't very good..........YET!  And, the fans really need to get off the  "which player can I blame this week" bandwagon. Henne's been sitting on the sidelines for the last couple weeks so he can't be the goat anymore, so I guess it's Toby Gerhart's turn to be the real cancer on this team. The "TEAM" is 0-5.........not just one player, two players or 5 players. Enough with the crucifying of individual players. The fans need to grow up and stop calling for the head of any one player every week. The Jaguars are 0-5 for a very good reason and that reason is they simply are not a good football team. A few fans have had their feet on the ground even during preseason warning others to not get "too excited" about this team. Turns out, they were right while many others were wrong (including myself). 

Lessons learned

What was the score at halftime the two starts by Bortles compared to Henne's last 2 starts?

Quote:I hate to state that obvious, but did anybody realize that the chart is blue and orange?

soo......what are you implying?

Quote:What was the score at halftime the two starts by Bortles compared to Henne's last 2 starts?

Does halftime score get counted in the standings somewhere?

One of these years.............