Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has the team really not made progress? A quick look.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 01:49 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

It's easy to say looking at how many points we've given up, and how many points we've made and say "This team looks like it's regressed."  Just look at the stats of last year, and you can see that we're on pace to have a worse season.

However, looking at the stats through week 5, and we see a bit of a different picture.  Keep in mind that last year at this time our opponents had been the Chiefs, Raiders, Colts, Seahawks, and Rams.  Which is somewhat comparable (if not an easier schedule) than the Eagles, Redskins, Colts, Chargers, and Steelers.  

[Image: chart1.png]

Here we see that we've improved in passing yards, rushing yards, rushing yards allowed, and time per drive.  Our run game last year at this point was abysmal, and it's easy to forget just how bad it was.  Of course our defense looks like it's regressed a bit, especially in regards to passing yards allowed.  Which is an area that needs great improvement, but I think that much is obvious.

UPDATE: Running game hasn't improved that much, but it's still an improvement over last year.  

[Image: chart2.png]

Here we see that we've scored more points than we did last year at this point.  Of course that could in part be due to facing weaker defenses.  Still, I think the schedules are comparable enough.  We've actually got a better point differential at this point than we did last year.  It's also easy to forget just how badly we got blown out at points last year.  We've got more 1st downs, more yards per drive, and fewer interceptions (despite Bortles throwing 2 per game at this point)

It's easy to look at last year as a whole and say we've regressed.  It certainly looks that way.  But looking at the same point last year, and you see a slightly different story.  Our defense has taken some steps backward, especially in regards to pass defense.  But I think we'll see that improve as the season goes on.  Our young offense looks to be doing better than last year, and I think it'll keep it up.  

There's no denying that we all want to see improvement.  We want to score more than 20 points in a game.  We want to stop the other team from scoring at will.  And I think much like last year, we'll start to see some improvements throughout the year.  We could get our first win this weekend.  It will hopefully at the very least be a competitive game..  It's a bit early to say that this team hasn't made progress.  I think we'll know more by the mid-season break.  At which point Bortles will have been our starter for 68% of the season (as opposed to 50%)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Is there tangible improvement? Yes. 

Is any of the improvement you cite up there really to the point of "impressive"? No. 

The best "improvement" up there graphwise, looks like Rushing yards. However, where is our rushing yards total ranking in comparison with other teams?

The only improvement that I can see this season thats legit and impressive in comparison to the ranking is the QB sacks total for the defense. Not only is it up from last season, but it also ranks near the top of the league in total QB sacks. 

These other improvements you illustrate above are drops in the bucket, in reality. 

In reality, ALL facets should be VASTLY improved from last season. Thats usually what happens with a competent rebuilding regime. 

I wouldn't say our schedule was easier last year.

One of these years.............

Quote:It's easy to say looking at how many points we've given up, and how many points we've made and say "This team looks like it's regressed."  Just look at the stats of last year, and you can see that we're on pace to have a worse season.

However, looking at the stats through week 5, and we see a bit of a different picture.  Keep in mind that last year at this time our opponents had been the Chiefs, Raiders, Colts, Seahawks, and Rams.  Which is somewhat comparable (if not an easier schedule) than the Eagles, Redskins, Colts, Chargers, and Steelers.  

[Image: chart1.png]

Here we see that we've improved in passing yards, rushing yards, rushing yards allowed, and time per drive.  Our run game last year at this point was abysmal, and it's easy to forget just how bad it was.  Of course our defense looks like it's regressed a bit, especially in regards to passing yards allowed.  Which is an area that needs great improvement, but I think that much is obvious.

[Image: chart2.png]

Here we see that we've scored more points than we did last year at this point.  Of course that could in part be due to facing weaker defenses.  Still, I think the schedules are comparable enough.  We've actually got a better point differential at this point than we did last year.  It's also easy to forget just how badly we got blown out at points last year.  We've got more 1st downs, more yards per drive, and fewer interceptions (despite Bortles throwing 2 per game at this point)

It's easy to look at last year as a whole and say we've regressed.  It certainly looks that way.  But looking at the same point last year, and you see a slightly different story.  Our defense has taken some steps backward, especially in regards to pass defense.  But I think we'll see that improve as the season goes on.  Our young offense looks to be doing better than last year, and I think it'll keep it up.  

There's no denying that we all want to see improvement.  We want to score more than 20 points in a game.  We want to stop the other team from scoring at will.  And I think much like last year, we'll start to see some improvements throughout the year.  We could get our first win this weekend.  It will hopefully at the very least be a competitive game..  It's a bit early to say that this team hasn't made progress.  I think we'll know more by the mid-season break.  At which point Bortles will have been our starter for 68% of the season (as opposed to 50%)

That's quite an impressive bar chart comparing the Jags 2013 season with the Jags 2014 season so far, TED.

Nice work, it shows the comparisons rather clearly.

It does show the Jags have actually progressed, but it's only been ever so slightly, except for as you said, pass defense.

Unfortunately, the Jags record through the 1st 5 games is exactly the same as last year, and they could NOT have possibly been any worse, but just 1 mere win would have been an improvement, but we all know that didn't happen.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

The rushing doesn't seem to be right, difference graph wise shouldnt be that huge when there is only a 43 yard difference between the first 5 games.  It looks like you have it at almost 600 yards rushing when it's 335

I expect the gap between the two to increase as the rookies/2nd year players develop.
Huh

The improvements have been small (I updated the run game totals, which were miscalculated), still we're doing a little better than last year.  It's not enough -- but keeping in mind that most of our upgrades are rookies, I expect we'll have a better idea of where this team is after week 8.  I don't think 5 games is a great sample size.

The telling thing though, is how we're doing in 1st downs.  Especially considering that 1st downs were incredibly rare in the Washington game.  We had just 8 first downs in the Washington game.  We didn't have fewer than 12 all of last year.  With Bortles in, our 1st down numbers have gone up.  The Redskins game was absolutely abhorrent.  It'll take a few games to offset it.  Which is why I think we'll have a better idea in week 8 or 9 as to how much this team has improved.

Those statistics don't mean anything. W's and L's are the only thing that matter.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I wouldn't say our schedule was easier last year.

Me neither. 

Thats just something the excusemakers are trying to heave against the wall to see if it sticks. 

Quote:Me neither. 

Thats just something the excusemakers are trying to heave against the wall to see if it sticks. 

And yet, when we win 4 or so games this year, you'll be the first to jump in with "THE FIRST PART OF OUR SCHEDULE WAS THE HARD PART!  OF COURSE WE WERE GOING TO WIN WHEN THE SCHEDULE GOT EASIER!  FIRE BRADLEY!"

Quote:And yet, when we win 4 or so games this year, you'll be the first to jump in with "THE FIRST PART OF OUR SCHEDULE WAS THE HARD PART!  OF COURSE WE WERE GOING TO WIN WHEN THE SCHEDULE GOT EASIER!  FIRE BRADLEY!"

If they win 4 games again like last year, in similar fashion, how is that "progress"?

We're not necessarily going to see a gradual change in production.  This season is basically a repeat of last season rebuild wise.  If the coaching staff and GM are any good, we'll see a jump in 2015.  And then should be a legit force in the playoffs in 2016.  

The roster is young, cheap and ascending.  This is the edge this team has right now.  If they can nail the next draft and FA, and if Bortles is for real, we're good.  But right now, we're just going to suck rebuild-style.  

So kind of... But not really.

Shame Level

2013 Jaguars XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2014 Jaguars XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As you can see Bortles is making me not ashamed of the on field performance compared to last year.  For the first time in a decade, I don't feel snakebitten when the ball is hiked to our QB.  Can that be sustained?  I sure hope so.  So far the QB play is the biggest eye test improved item from last year.

Games 1-5 last year were abysmal.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

'Improvement' is a relative term; improved compared to what? Are we somewhat improved compared to last season? In some ways we are....But what matters is are we improved compared to other 'competitive' NFL teams? No, we're still at or near the bottom in too many areas.

But...I guess when you get down to it, 'improvement' is pretty much all we can hope for this season. Sadly, I had speculated (I realize now how overly optimistic I was) at the start of the season that we might go 6-10. Now, I hope that we can pull out 3-13, but I also recognize that this team could easily go 0-16 if we don't get a win in the next three games. After those, the next most realistically winnable game we'll have won't be until week 16 against the tacks at home, and that isn't even a 'gimme' with this team.

The one statistic that I was really looking for improvement in this season was our win/loss record. Pretty dismal so far...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:That's quite an impressive bar chart comparing the Jags 2013 season with the Jags 2014 season so far, TED.

Nice work, it shows the comparisons rather clearly.

It does show the Jags have actually progressed, but it's only been ever so slightly, except for as you said, pass defense.

Unfortunately, the Jags record through the 1st 5 games is exactly the same as last year, and they could NOT have possibly been any worse, but just 1 mere win would have been an improvement, but we all know that didn't happen.
Taking into consideration the fact that the Jaguars are a younger team in 2014 than they were in 2013 with more rookies starting and contributing at key positions, I'd say the incremental improvement is very encouraging. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:If they win 4 games again like last year, in similar fashion, how is that "progress"?
You have the 2nd youngest roster in the league that will have a year of experience under their belt even if the team goes 4-12 this year.  That guarantees decent position in the draft, and it gives them a young core that they'll continue to build upon.  It was NEVER about wins this year, but you know that.  It just doesn't serve your agenda to admit that fact. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Those statistics don't mean anything. W's and L's are the only thing that matter.

I disagree. For a young team, improving even without winning is very important. If they keep improving then the wins will come. How do you think you win? By improving as a team.

Quote:We're not necessarily going to see a gradual change in production.  This season is basically a repeat of last season rebuild wise.  If the coaching staff and GM are any good, we'll see a jump in 2015.  And then should be a legit force in the playoffs in 2016.  

The roster is young, cheap and ascending.  This is the edge this team has right now.  If they can nail the next draft and FA, and if Bortles is for real, we're good.  But right now, we're just going to suck rebuild-style.  
Thank you for countering the lunacy with some logic. 

Quote:I disagree. For a young team, improving even without winning is very important. If they keep improving then the wins will come. How do you think you win? By improving as a team.
Agreed.  Wins and losses will matter next year.