Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Quote:So is it alright if I take a switch to my wife if she starts acting up?  I can leave as many marks on her as I wish, as long as I don't break any limbs or starve her to death?  

Your wife is an adult, who knows the difference from right and wrong.

The majority of children dont know, and need some sort of corporal punishment to get the point across. 

Time out work for some, spanking work for some, and whipping work for others. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Your wife is an adult, who knows the difference from right and wrong.

The majority of children dont know, and need some sort of corporal punishment to get the point across. 

If my wife knows right from wrong, then she should be punished more for doing wrong.  Isn't that why Juveniles are punished less than Adults?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:If my wife knows right from wrong, then she should be punished more for doing wrong.  Isn't that why Juveniles are punished less than Adults?
 Im confused, is your wife a juvenile?

Quote: Im confused, is your wife a juvenile?

Why are you confused?

Adults can be disciplined as well.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Why are you confused?

Adults can be disciplined as well.  

Adults are disciplined differently from children.

Quote:Your wife is an adult, who knows the difference from right and wrong.

Simply not true.

The CDC also released a report that shows that teens (you know, the ones that have been spoiled by the lack of "whippings") are less likely to get pregnant, more likely to practice safe sex, less likely to use "illicit substances" and more likely to exercise than previous generations. Now correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, but we're doing something right. The OJJDP also shows that juvenile crime rates are down.

The AAP showed a link between spanking and mental illness.

A 2009 study found that HCP (harsh corporal punishment) may have detrimental effects on brain development.

A 2010 study found an increase in child aggression when the child was spanked at least twice in the previous month.

The Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma found that corporal punishment is related to a decrease in cognitive ability.

But hey, you got whipped, so it's a great system, right?

I can understand where you are coming from.  At the same time, you have to understand the culture that AP was raised in.  My father still talks about his mother waiting until he was taking a shower after he had done something wrong to catch him with an extension chord.  he talked back to her on one occasion and she threw an oil lamp at him.  That is child abuse. 

I was beaten with a switch as a child and I hated it, but more often than not looking back I deserved it. 

Would I have gone that far?  depends.  I don't know the child.  I know that may sound harsh but I remember distinctly a time when I was about that age and I went into a hard rebellion phase where I just didn't care anymore and invoked spankings and or beatings and just became numb to them.  I have an uncle who when he was a child would NEVER CRY in defiance of discipline. 

As for Peterson himself, the question isn't in the long term about whether or not corporal punishment is the most effective system or not, the question is did he approach it with the intent to harm or injure his child and I believe that everything he has said points to the negative.  Why?

Because he himself got 'whoopins' and had to pick switches as a kid.  He saw nothing wrong and if he's anything like me he probably looks back and thanks his parents for building his character even though it hurt them at the time as it apparently hurt him.  In the future should he use more discretion or a different method?  maybe, we can have that debate.  but The more I look at it you have a young loving father doing the best that he knows how based on his own experience.  I don't think that should be criminalized.   

Quote:They 'spanked' them hard enough to leave "cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands."?

As someone who didn't get "whippin's" I learned to not break rules and always tell the truth by methods of discipline that didn't involve inflicting physical harm on a child. Shocking, right?

In all honesty, the only problem I have with this is the wounds to the scrotum. I honestly don't understand that part. Defensive woulds to the hand would be the first wounds because as a child I remember putting my hands behind my back trying to absorb the punishment then would quickly move my hands. I also remember kicking my feet back to try and block stuff which would be the ankles. 

My parents were not abusive, but the whole trying to defend yourself definitely adds pain to areas they didn't intend. You naturally try and defend yourself with whatever you can. If it werent for the fact that there were marks on the scrotum, I wouldnt say he was doing nothing old fashioned people didn't do, but I never had marks there and I've certainly never given either of my two kids any marks period, let alone marks on their private areas... so that's the part that crosses the line for me. I just don't understand that part. 

If it werent for that though, I would say this situation is fine. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:I can understand where you are coming from.  At the same time, you have to understand the culture that AP was raised in.  My father still talks about his mother waiting until he was taking a shower after he had done something wrong to catch him with an extension chord.  he talked back to her on one occasion and she threw an oil lamp at him.  That is child abuse. 

I was beaten with a switch as a child and I hated it, but more often than not looking back I deserved it. 

Would I have gone that far?  depends.  I don't know the child.  I know that may sound harsh but I remember distinctly a time when I was about that age and I went into a hard rebellion phase where I just didn't care anymore and invoked spankings and or beatings and just became numb to them.  I have an uncle who when he was a child would NEVER CRY in defiance of discipline. 

As for Peterson himself, the question isn't in the long term about whether or not corporal punishment is the most effective system or not, the question is did he approach it with the intent to harm or injure his child and I believe that everything he has said points to the negative.  Why?

Because he himself got 'whoopins' and had to pick switches as a kid.  He saw nothing wrong and if he's anything like me he probably looks back and thanks his parents for building his character even though it hurt them at the time as it apparently hurt him.  In the future should he use more discretion or a different method?  maybe, we can have that debate.  but The more I look at it you have a young loving father doing the best that he knows how based on his own experience.  I don't think that should be criminalized.   

This post is the truth. Again, I have to refer to my recent post in that I still don't understand the scrotum marks, that's a bit much for me, but everything else is perfectly normal. 

AGAIN, if you take out the scrotum marks which I don't agree with, it really shows you how far society has come with discipline. It makes sense too because children nowadays are ten times as worse as their previous generation. People just don't care as much as they did before. I applaud my parents generation of discipline. 

Quote:This post is the truth. Again, I have to refer to my recent post in that I still don't understand the scrotum marks, that's a bit much for me, but everything else is perfectly normal. 

AGAIN, if you take out the scrotum marks which I don't agree with, it really shows you how far society has come with discipline. It makes sense too because children nowadays are ten times as worse as their previous generation. People just don't care as much as they did before. I applaud my parents generation of discipline. 

Prove it.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 02:16 AM by AnyGivenSunday.)

Quote:Prove it.

What a stupid retort. This is basically saying "Pics or it didnt happen"... everyone who has kids or knows people well that have kids know that kids are running over their parents in the majority nowadays. I mean for gods sakes if you haven't heard multiple people say kids are getting worse by the generation then you're living in a hole. I've heard it from people that have kids and don't have kids, and I see it from my own eyes. 

Whatever, AP went overboard with the scrotum marks. But a switch is not overboard in general, and more of todays youth needs it. 

I'd spank my kid in public with my hand, and I dare anyone on this board to tell me I'm a monster for it. I'd simply laugh. 

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 02:23 AM by Unravel.)

Quote:What a stupid retort. This is basically saying "Pics or it didnt happen"... everyone who has kids or knows people well that have kids know that kids are running over their parents in the majority nowadays. I mean for gods sakes if you haven't heard multiple people say kids are getting worse by the generation then you're living in a hole. I've heard it from people that have kids and don't have kids, and I see it from my own eyes. 

Whatever, AP went overboard with the scrotum marks. But a switch is not overboard in general, and more of todays youth needs it. 
Actually, I've already laid out an argument against everything you've said in a post that is just above jj82284's comment that you quoted. I'm merely asking you to do the same instead of relying on anecdotes which are hilariously inaccurate. I mean, I could use you as an anecdote that people from previous generations conveniently skip past opposing ideas to quote things they agree with. That doesn't mean it's true or that it happens at a rate greater than any other group of people.

If you're going to make claims like that, back it up with more than anecdotes.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 02:28 AM by AnyGivenSunday.)

Quote:Actually, I've already laid out an argument against everything you've said in a post that is just above jj82284's comment that you quoted. I'm merely asking you to do the same instead of relying on anecdotes which are hilariously inaccurate. I mean, I could use you as an anecdote that people from previous generations conveniently skip past opposing ideas to quote things they agree with. That doesn't mean it's true or that it happens at a rate greater than any other group of people.

If you're going to make claims like that, back it up with more than anecdotes.

Wow, I'm surprised you literally wasted the time to post all that. 

You're just as bad as anyone that you'd run into in the street... "Oh provide me evidence on the fly" I'm sorry, I don't keep a notebook of every situation I've come across in the parenting world. But because you challenged me to use real world experiences and I can't come up with enough, that automatically makes you right, doesn't it? 

LOL... keep going man. I honestly love that argument to be honest. I find it hilarious every time I come across it. 

Double Edit: You're in the psychological world aren't you? Or legal world? You must be, with an automatic want to look right response like that. 

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 02:51 AM by Unravel.)

Quote:Wow, I'm surprised you literally wasted the time to post all that. 

You're just as bad as anyone that you'd run into in the street... "Oh provide me evidence on the fly" I'm sorry, I don't keep a notebook of every situation I've come across in the parenting world. But because you challenged me to use real world experiences and I can't come up with enough, that automatically makes you right, doesn't it? 

LOL... keep going man. I honestly love that argument to be honest. I find it hilarious every time I come across it. 

Double Edit: You're in the psychological world aren't you? Or legal world? You must be, with an automatic want to look right response like that. 
Don't have a counter argument do you? Didn't think so, because I actually looked for one before posting that. Why? Because I want accurate information to base my own choices around. I genuinely don't care whether or not I "win" any debate on here. It's inconsequential either way unless valid information is provided that proves my already held ideas wrong.

Also, no I'm in neither of those. I'm a web programmer.

EDIT: If you've got evidence to the contrary please do lay it out there, I'd love to learn from it.

Quote:Don't have a counter argument do you? Didn't think so, because I actually looked for one before posting that. Why? Because I want accurate information to base my own choices around. I genuinely don't care whether or not I "win" any debate on here. It's inconsequential either way unless valid information is provided that proves my already held ideas wrong.

Also, no I'm in neither of those. I'm a web programmer.

EDIT: If you've got evidence to the contrary please do lay it out there, I'd love to learn from it.

Waste of time, as it has been since your first response. 

I'm glad you're a web programmer though! Maybe you can program how bad the old generation looks and prove that we need anecdotal evidence to prove how they're right in today's age across multiple sites! 

Quote:Waste of time, as it has been since your first response. 

I'm glad you're a web programmer though! Maybe you can program how bad the old generation looks and prove that we need anecdotal evidence to prove how they're right in today's age across multiple sites! 

You're right. Talking to you is a waste of time. You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Quote:You're right. Talking to you is a waste of time. You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Thank you for italicizing my post. I'm glad them there programming skills came in handy for that.

I've felt talking to you was a waste of time since the beginning, so I'm glad we can both agree oh that.

I hope to never come across you again on these forums. God forbid you ever have kids, they might be running the household before they can walk!  

Quote:Thank you for italicizing my post. I'm glad them there programming skills came in handy for that.

I've felt talking to you was a waste of time since the beginning, so I'm glad we can both agree oh that.

I hope to never come across you again on these forums. God forbid you ever have kids, they might be running the household before they can walk!  

You don't seem to have addressed any of the points he raised, of course. That's probably connected to the detrimental effects on brain development right?

I've got three kids. They misbehave sometimes. They would misbehave more if they weren't disciplined. Shockingly, I am capable of disciplining them without beating them to the point where it leaves injuries four weeks later. Shockingly, I am capable of disciplining them without beating them at all. I've never raised a weapon of any sort to my family and most likely never will. And the kids don't run the house.

If there's anyone of whom we should be saying "god forbid you ever have kids" I'd suggest it's the people who are so messed up that they think the only way for a grown man to teach a four year old child how to behave properly is through severe physical violence.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 08:01 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:People get called on for spanking their child in the rear one time as well.

When I think of child abuse, I think of children's bones, limbs being broken along with being starved to death and sexually assaulted.
He injured his freaking scrotum. I don't care what your parents did or someones mom or grandma did. What Peterson did was abuse. There is no need for that level of punishment to a 4 year old. And if your parents did what Peterson did then they abused you.