Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Gordon Suspended 1 year

Quote:Against the Lions the Jags had Blaine Gabbert at QB. Not even Calvin Johnson would look good with Gabbert at QB.

I agree with you to a large extent as Blaine Gabbert was much more of a liability as a QB than an asset as the Jaguars starting QB.  Yet,  Justin Blackmon did have well over 100 yards receiving in St. Louis last season with Gabbert at the helm.   

Until the game in Houston in mid to late November,  2012,    I recall there being plenty of concern from many Jaguars fans that Justin Blackmon might not demonstrate ability and production reflective of being pick # 5 in a draft.    Granted,  Chad Henne was his QB that day.   Henne might have made the difference in Blackmon turning the corner at that point in time.    I have great respect for the intangibles Henne brings to the table.   But by the following season,  Blackmon proved that he can have an impact in a game even with Gabbert behind Center.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It isn't state law to drug test. Testing people on whether they are following the law is not a requirement by the state.

Policies? Whose policies? Their own? It isn't illegal in those states. In one sentence you state NFL is just following the law and in another you state companies are just following policies but not the law.

Public opinion on pot has changed significantly and will keep increasing for its legalization. Eventually the NFL will soften its stance. And you know why? Due to society/public pressure to do so.

Corporations will always have a strong interest in making sure that their employees are not incapacitated because of drug use, legal or not.

However, in the case of the NFL, players are judged on their production, and paid on that basis. There's really no need to test for drugs that aren't performance-enhancing. If a player's performance drops, then his pay will also drop, a whole lot if he's cut. At best, the player's team is given a heads up as to the reason for a performance drop off, but I don't think anyone here would say that Cleveland is better off now that Gordon has been suspended. Their opponents certainly lose nothing by playing against a player who's intellect has been dulled, so there's no competition-based argument that they can make that such a player needs to be suspended.

Since both the NFL and the union agreed to it, the policy is in place. In any case, there are plenty worse policies that I can think of.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Until the game in Houston in mid to late November,  2012,    I recall there being plenty of concern from many Jaguars fans that Justin Blackmon might not demonstrate ability and production reflective of being pick # 5 in a draft.

Concern? Certainly. Until a player actually plays up to the level expected of him, there's always some room for concern. I have concern for both Robinson and Lee at this point. Not a lot of concern, but I'd like to see some flashes. What I disliked about Reggie Williams from the start was that he had no plays that made me go WOW. Even Mattloaf had some WOW moments as a rookie.

But in 2012 Blackmon was a rookie with a bad QB on a bad team in general. I wouldn't expect a WR to shine under those circumstances. I think most of the concern was about Blackmon's second DUI, and whether or not it would turn out to be a career-length problem, not about his play.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 05:45 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Surprised conspiracy theorists haven't pointed out that there is no longer any reason not to suspend Josh now that it is clear that Manziel sucks/will not start. Timing very suspicious !

Speaking of timing; seems punitive to the Browns the way the NFL handled this.
Why punitive?

If the facts leading to his suspension did not become known until closer to the season, the league can't be expected to act before then. Besides, Gordon appealed, and that dragged things on.

Finally...yes I suppose it is punitive against the Browns, or any team that has addicts. That would be by design. Many would argue teams should be dissuaded from drafting/signing bad actors/behaving players. Suspensions of this sort serve to do that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Yeah, I say what the hell right back....

I see/ read this story and see that the Browns now are desperate for WR help. 

I see the Jaguars still desperate for OL help, primarily Center. 

So to make that happen I suggest a trade. 

....and because the most likely candidate for a trade happens to be someone who people don't want to see go (for whatever their reasons) they have to cry "troll" or "derail" when it is genuinely NOT either. 

The trade idea stems directly from the information released in the story, meaning If Gordon wasn't banned or banned for only a partial season, then there'd be no reason to suggest trading a WR to the Browns. 

Now, perhaps I am not offering enough in the deal, as maybe another mid round pick might have to bee added in addition to Shorts, but if it would get Mack here, I'd do it. Mack would provide the OL with the kind of stability that Mankins just gave Tampa's line. 
I will not comment on whether this trade would violate the terms of the current CBA.

However, I want to address your concept of trading Shorts this year.

Though the goal of strengthening the OL is a noble one, and Mack is certainly a very good C, trading Shorts this year is misguided.

If we took all of your proposed trades, cuts, and signings together, the only experienced WRs we'd have on the roster would be Brown (limited experience, undersized, and wildly inconsistent) and Stephen Hill (a 2nd round bust from the Jets that can't run routes and can't catch, and wouldn't know the offense for at least a couple of months if you signed him today.

You hate Sanders, and even if you didn't, he'd still be gone for the first four games.

Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson and Hurns are all rookies still learning the NFL game, and Robinson hasn't even seen preseason action due to a hamstring.  He's had maybe a day or two in training camp where he actually practiced.  Based upon the official story, Lee had confusion running his routes based upon what the defense showed.

Even though the team is not expected to contend for even a wild card spot this year, you have to admit that is a recipe for passing game disaster.

Bullseye, TMD has already discounted the value of being the only experienced receiver on the roster. In his estimation, experience is overrated.

Hill's inability to catch or run routes, and his complete lack of knowing the playbook here in Jacksonville would be overcome by the magical coaching abilities of Jerry Sullivan, and the offensive genius of Jedd Fisch. The same Jedd Fisch TMD bashed constantly as a bad hire and an inept coordinator last year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think Josh Gordon's suspension should set the tone for Justin Blackmon's.

Blackmon should be eligible to return either before or on the same day Josh Gordon is allowed to return.

Even with Blackmon's recent troubles, I still believe he'll be eligible to return before Gordon will.

I'm at a point where I don't actually care if he ever plays again, but I'm curious to see what this means for his eligibility, if anything.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Honestly guys, we shouldn't be laughing about this; considering that Blackmon and a few other Jags players have been suspended in the past too.

Quote:Honestly guys, we shouldn't be laughing about this; considering that Blackmon and a few other Jags players have been suspended in the past too.

I ain't laughing, and I'm certainly not happy that Gordon won't see the field this season. The man is an absolute top tier talent and the game is better with him in it than out.

I hope he gets his life in order.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I will not comment on whether this trade would violate the terms of the current CBA.

However, I want to address your concept of trading Shorts this year.

Though the goal of strengthening the OL is a noble one, and Mack is certainly a very good C, trading Shorts this year is misguided.

If we took all of your proposed trades, cuts, and signings together, the only experienced WRs we'd have on the roster would be Brown (limited experience, undersized, and wildly inconsistent) and Stephen Hill (a 2nd round bust from the Jets that can't run routes and can't catch, and wouldn't know the offense for at least a couple of months if you signed him today.

You hate Sanders, and even if you didn't, he'd still be gone for the first four games.

Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson and Hurns are all rookies still learning the NFL game, and Robinson hasn't even seen preseason action due to a hamstring.  He's had maybe a day or two in training camp where he actually practiced.  Based upon the official story, Lee had confusion running his routes based upon what the defense showed.

Even though the team is not expected to contend for even a wild card spot this year, you have to admit that is a recipe for passing game disaster.

I don't think it would be any sort of recipe for passing game disaster. The talent would rise in the end. We have 6 WR who could do the job, and all aren't rookies. (Hurns/ Robinson/ Lee/ Brown OR Taylor/ Doss/ Hill  OR  Sanders) Those 6 being if both of my trades stood. 

I think people are making more of a big deal about Shorts not being here in that instance than it is. We'd be fine. He hasn't been here for most of the preseason. The passing game was fine. Yeah, its only preseason, but you still have to get open and catch the ball. 

Quote:Bullseye, TMD has already discounted the value of being the only experienced receiver on the roster. In his estimation, experience is overrated.

Hill's inability to catch or run routes, and his complete lack of knowing the playbook here in Jacksonville would be overcome by the magical coaching abilities of Jerry Sullivan, and the offensive genius of Jedd Fisch. The same Jedd Fisch TMD bashed constantly as a bad hire and an inept coordinator last year.

Its not a playoff year. The added reps for Hurns/ Lee/ Robinson would be beneficial. 

By 2015, they'd be ready to have big years. 

Shorts is nothing but a wrench in that plan, who stands a good chance to not be here in 2015 anyway, so might as well make the future now, especially if you could get OL help in exchange in the meantime. 

As for bashing Fisch, I did before. Was skeptical of his checkered resume.....but now I'm also giving credit where due based on how he's done here - he runs a QB/ WR friendly offense which works out to the benefit of the subjects mentioned. 

Quote: 

As for bashing Fisch, I did before. Was skeptical of his checkered resume.....but now I'm also giving credit where due based on how he's done here - he runs a QB/ WR friendly offense which works out to the benefit of the subjects mentioned. 

"Checkered resume"...aka, trying too hard to be the Skip Bayless of this board.

Quote:I think Josh Gordon's suspension should set the tone for Justin Blackmon's.

Blackmon should be eligible to return either before or on the same day Josh Gordon is allowed to return.

Even with Blackmon's recent troubles, I still believe he'll be eligible to return before Gordon will.

I'm at a point where I don't actually care if he ever plays again, but I'm curious to see what this means for his eligibility, if anything.
This is my mindset generally speaking, though I don't know if he (Blackmon) will regain eligibility before Gordon, if ever.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:I think Josh Gordon's suspension should set the tone for Justin Blackmon's.

To me, there is a subtlety being missed here and creates a difference between the two situations.

The subtlety is that Blackmon and Gordon were suspended indefinitely with no chance to apply for reinstatement for one year. That means that they are out of the League "unless". Unless they  make an attempt to re-enter the League, then they will stay suspended. The onus is on them to begin the process of lifting the suspension and not on the League.

The difference shows up in that it seems as if Gordon and his representation (read as, agent) are actively trying to get him back on the field. I don't know that Blackmon and his camp are doing the same. We know very little about Justin other than his occasional appearance on the police blotter but I don't get the impression that he is pushing to get back to the team. The ball is in his court so to speak, so what is he going to do about it?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I don't think it would be any sort of recipe for passing game disaster. The talent would rise in the end. We have 6 WR who could do the job, and all aren't rookies. (Hurns/ Robinson/ Lee/ Brown OR Taylor/ Doss/ Hill  OR  Sanders) Those 6 being if both of my trades stood. 

I think people are making more of a big deal about Shorts not being here in that instance than it is. We'd be fine. He hasn't been here for most of the preseason. The passing game was fine. Yeah, its only preseason, but you still have to get open and catch the ball. 

Its not a playoff year. The added reps for Hurns/ Lee/ Robinson would be beneficial. 

By 2015, they'd be ready to have big years. 

Shorts is nothing but a wrench in that plan, who stands a good chance to not be here in 2015 anyway, so might as well make the future now, especially if you could get OL help in exchange in the meantime. 

1.  As for the talent rising in the end, this assumes the team hit on the talent and that it will all be available in the end (end of what, exactly), and it says nothing about what the team is supposed to do until this talent finally rises.

2.  Regarding your bashing of Fisch, I think you also have to come clean on your prior bashing of Bradley.  My opinion of you had changed because you championed Bradley the entire postseason of 2012-early 2013 until he became the Jaguars' head coach.  Then, literally within hours of his introductory press conference, you turned on him solely because he wasn't able to hire Norv Turner as his offensive coordinator, effectively deeming him a lost cause.  Such a dramatic departure from your own prior strong advocacy in such a short period of time made you look hopelessly reactionary at best and at worst, confirmed the worst agenda stereotypes of you on this board.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM by Predator.)

Blackmon has already been suspended 8 games so in theory he should be back well before Gordon.

Both players offenses require a minimum of a 16 game suspension per the CBA.

When they come back after that is 100% on the player. Both have a strike against them since their 16 game violation.

Quote:Blackmon has already been suspended 8 games so in theory he should be back well before Gordon.

He's also currently under indefinite suspension while Gordon is on a one year ban. There is at least a light at the end of that tunnel.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM by Predator.)

Quote:He's also currently under indefinite suspension while Gordon is on a one year ban. There is at least a light at the end of that tunnel.
They both are in the exact same situation.

Like Blackmon, Gordon will have to apply to be reinstated after his 16 game "banishment".

Things like getting DUIs will be considered before being reinstated.

Quote: 

The ball is in his court so to speak, so what is he going to do about it?

Hopefully, he will see the same thing most of us see in Bortles, realize he can have a lot of fun, put up some big numbers and win a lot of games playing with him, dedicate himself to getting his life together and getting clean, and get reinstated.

Quote:They both are in the exact same situation.

Like Blackmon, Gordon will have to apply to be reinstated after his 16 game "banishment".

Things like getting DUIs will be considered before being reinstated.

Not really. Blackmon has no scheduled return date.

Quote:Not really. Blackmon has no scheduled return date.
You are misinformed. Both have a minimum of a 16 game suspension and can only be reinstated at the discretion of the commissioner.

Read for yourself http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResour...Policy.pdf

They both are in violation of the stage 3 intervention program. Gordon's appeal only confirmed he must at least serve the minimum of 16 games. His suspension is also indefinite on him complying with the terms of the stage 3 intervention program.