Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
There is no way you can blame the Coaching Staff for this.

Any GM and coach who kept both Gabbert and Henne on the same roster deserve some blame, not to mention all the stupid fouls and mistakes due to undiscipline. On the other hand, they also deserve chances to rebuild the team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This is not Coach Bradley's fault. If you look at the roster, and then look at the next worst team's roster, Tampa, St. Louis, Oakland, Minn, they all have leaps and BOUNDS more talent than what we have.

I knew this was going to be a rebuild. I just didn't know it was to this extent. Gene Smith put us this far into the gutter, that the next worst team, has close to 4x more impact players than we do. That is telling. Very, very telling. And if you blame Coach Bradley or any of the coaches, than you know absolutely nothing about football. There is no possible way ANY coach can possibly be graded with this amount of talent. This season can be summed up by looking at the roster. Yes, it is that bad.

Compare some rosters. I dare you. Do it, and then try to tell me this is Coach Bradley's fault. 

First, I don't think anyone is trying to put all the blame on Bradley and/or the coaching staff.  However, it's a legitimate point to question whether Bradley is a coach that can ultimately lead this team to a Super Bowl.  Is he a new head coach with a talent depleted team?  Absolutely!

But, I'll do you one better.  I'll compare Bradley to a youth football coach.  With any coach in any sport, the good coaches' teams are disciplined, prepared, fundamentally sound, etc.  They development players and always prepare them for the next level of competition.  The talent level has nothing to do with a coach's ability. 

The Jags continue to commit foolish penalties.  They continue to look lost when it comes to schemes and game planning.  They are not fundamentally sound when it comes to technique and assigments.  All of these are indicators of not stellar coaching.

I wouldn't necessarily say either that Bradley is a horrible coach but I see nothing yet from him or his staff that shows them to be any better than Mularkey and his staff.

Gee, funny how it works: when the players get better the coaches get better. 

Who leads the NFL in penalties this year? That coach terrible?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Without reading the whole thread, I'd like to add, "Can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop", especially when most of the dung is at QB.

I agree with the OP.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:The Seahawks needed a whole lot more then a QB when Pete's regime got there. Grant was no solution at SS at that point in time they kept him until they found a replacement (The opposite of what we did with Daryl Smith).

Dude, you've got to get over this Daryl Smith thing. 

On Wisconsin.

Quote:Dude, you've got to get over this Daryl Smith thing. 
I'm not over it..  For weeks this season all I could say to myself every Sunday was "Why the hell did they let Smith go?"

He should have retired a Jaguar....and has YEARS of excellent play left in him.

This was the single worst decision of this new regime.   Rebuild or not.  He was the heart and soul of what we had left of the team. 

Quote:I'm not over it..  For weeks this season all I could say to myself every Sunday was "Why the hell did they let Smith go?"

This was the single worst decision of this new regime.   Rebuild or not.  He was the heart and soul of what we had left of the team. 

Good grief. 

And precisely how much better do you think the team would be with Daryl Smith this year? Be realistic and look past all that heart and soul stuff.

On Wisconsin.

This team lacks talent, but the talent that's on this roster wasn't brought here, or kept here, by Gene Smith. Gus and Dave have assembled 35 of the 53 players on this roster. Some of the others are Gene's and some are Shack's.

Del Rio had a 20 year old raw Blaine Gabbert and won 5 games. Mularkey had a worse roster, supposedly, and won 2 games with our only offensive weapon MJD out. If you think Gus and Dave have done a good job of getting better talent on this team then you should expect more wins than what Mularkey got. Bottom line is wins. This roster of talent has not even been COMPETITIVE for God's sake.

Regards..............the Chiefjag

I agree. 

Quote:I'm not over it..  For weeks this season all I could say to myself every Sunday was "Why the hell did they let Smith go?"

Daryl Smith wouldn't be playing as well here since we don't have the talent around him that the Ravens do. Use your head. 

Daryl SMith was not part of the future, so I have no problem letting him walk this past offseason,. 

Quote:I agree. 

Daryl Smith wouldn't be playing as well here since we don't have the talent around him that the Ravens do. Use your head. 

Daryl SMith was not part of the future, so I have no problem letting him walk this past offseason,. 
I agree with the overwhelming majority of your comments, and genuinely admire your football knowledge.  And it's obviously water under the bridge at this point, but here we disagree.

Smith was/is a leader, and set the tempo for aggressive play by the defense, as well as having the ability to keep his head.  I cannot sing his praises enough really.  It's no small matter that he was chosen as the center of arguably the greatest defensive team in history (despite his age), and also as the replacement of one of the most dominant MLB's ever to play.  We should have kept him, he was worth his weight in gold as a mentor and example setter to the younger players on the team.  Wait and see, he will be around for a long time to come.  

Age and experience is too often discounted here in Jaguar-land, and I would argue is among the key reasons we are where we are.  In respectful reply, I would say it is a particular weakness of yours.

Quote:This team lacks talent, but the talent that's on this roster wasn't brought here, or kept here, by Gene Smith. Gus and Dave have assembled 35 of the 53 players on this roster. Some of the others are Gene's and some are Shack's.

Del Rio had a 20 year old raw Blaine Gabbert and won 5 games. Mularkey had a worse roster, supposedly, and won 2 games with our only offensive weapon MJD out. If you think Gus and Dave have done a good job of getting better talent on this team then you should expect more wins than what Mularkey got. Bottom line is wins. This roster of talent has not even been COMPETITIVE for God's sake.

Regards..............the Chiefjag

And, conversely, what Gus and Dave did to this roster was a direct result of the Gene Smith's tenure. 

Of course, Blaine Gabbert was not the quarterback for all five of those wins. Let's also note the downward trend from 2011 to 2012. It's not exactly like the roster was going place in 2012 and Gus and Dave destroyed that momentum here. 

The end of Gene Smith's roster turnover produced two wins, I distinctly remember you keeping your wits about you through much of Gene Smith's time (myself included, I can admit), and yet eight games into the new regime, you suddenly can't sit still and see what happens for even half the time you waited it out with Gene?

Interesting.

On Wisconsin.

This is incorrect. I have said before I don't expect a coaching change and wouldn't agree to a coaching change this year.

But I can't ignore the fact we have not improved from last year or two years ago. Last year what you saw last year at the end of the year was, "it can't get worse, Gene Smith is fired, Mularkey is gone, and the new regime will make things better." Did it get better? Nope! It got worse and that is what I'm talking about.

I'll give them time to make it right but what I, and everyone else, expected was to see improvement this year. We haven't seen improvement. We haven't seen it from a game to game standard, or unit to unit.

Regards.............the Chiefjag

Quote:This is incorrect. I have said before I don't expect a coaching change and wouldn't agree to a coaching change this year.

But I can't ignore the fact we have not improved from last year or two years ago. Last year what you saw last year at the end of the year was, "it can't get worse, Gene Smith is fired, Mularkey is gone, and the new regime will make things better." Did it get better? Nope! It got worse and that is what I'm talking about.

I'll give them time to make it right but what I, and everyone else, expected was to see improvement this year. We haven't seen improvement. We haven't seen it from a game to game standard, or unit to unit.

Regards.............the Chiefjag

What's incorrect?

On Wisconsin.

Quote:What's incorrect?
The downward trend in my opinion was due to Mularkey, not the roster talent. Del Rio won 5 games with the roster which was worse than what Mularkey had. Mularkey had an emerging Shorts III and Blackmon and 2nd year QB Gabbert.

Mularkey was Gene's worse aquisition. I said as much after the hire. Then when he's gone and this fan base seriously needs a shot in the arm what does Caldwell do? He doesn't lure an experienced guy like Andy Reid, he goes and gets another guy who never called a game, who hires two assistants who never called a game. And here we are, apparently learning on the job just as we did with Del Rio.

Regards............the Chiefjag

It's not a Daryl Smith or Derek Cox or Terrence Knighton thing, it's a blow it up thing that I have a problem with. Again I'll point to how other teams have successfully rebuilt, it's never a blow it up procedure that works.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I'll give them time to make it right

Well you should give it 8 more games than since we played 6 playoff teams in the first half and maybe 2 in the second.

"Get Better Everyday"

Quote: 

The downward trend in my opinion was due to Mularkey, not the roster talent. Del Rio won 5 games with the roster which was worse than what Mularkey had. Mularkey had an emerging Shorts III and Blackmon and 2nd year QB Gabbert.

Mularkey was Gene's worse aquisition. I said as much after the hire. Then when he's gone and this fan base seriously needs a shot in the arm what does Caldwell do? He doesn't lure an experienced guy like Andy Reid, he goes and gets another guy who never called a game, who hires two assistants who never called a game. And here we are, apparently learning on the job just as we did with Del Rio.

Regards............the Chiefjag

I understand this, and it makes sense, but Gus and his staff (although meh at Jedd Fisch) isn't necessarily a death sentence. Would we be better with someone like Reid? Maybe. Probably, even. But that doesn't preclude Bradley from doing well. It just means it may take longer.

On Wisconsin.

Quote:And, conversely, what Gus and Dave did to this roster was a direct result of the Gene Smith's tenure. 

Of course, Blaine Gabbert was not the quarterback for all five of those wins. Let's also note the downward trend from 2011 to 2012. It's not exactly like the roster was going place in 2012 and Gus and Dave destroyed that momentum here. 

The end of Gene Smith's roster turnover produced two wins, I distinctly remember you keeping your wits about you through much of Gene Smith's time (myself included, I can admit), and yet eight games into the new regime, you suddenly can't sit still and see what happens for even half the time you waited it out with Gene?

Interesting.

It's because of Gene I'm weary on the whole wait it out procedure, during the time I patiently waited for Gene Smiths picture to come together we saw team after team after team rise from ruin.

The days of needing 4 years to turn a team over are gone, teams are consistently turning the roster over and showing improvement in years 1 and 2. Why is it that we have to wait 4 years for every rebuild?

those teams that turn it around and show progress in the first 2 years also follow a shocking trend, they build on whatever talent was around them and improve the roster as they go.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM by Ratix240sx.)

Quote:It's because of Gene I'm weary on the whole wait it out procedure, during the time I patiently waited for Gene Smiths picture to come together we saw team after team after team rise from ruin.

The days of needing 4 years to turn a team over are gone, teams are consistently turning the roster over and showing improvement in years 1 and 2. Why is it that we have to wait 4 years for every rebuild?

those teams that turn it around and show progress in the first 2 years also follow a shocking trend, they build on whatever talent was around them and improve the roster as they go.
I actually agree with the build it as we go philosphy but at the sametime I actually think we have enough peices to turn it around next year if we get it right with the QB and oline. I think people who are saying 3-4 years are just under estimating the talent on the roster because they have to have an excuse as to why we are bad. BTW the Shack era rosters where actually pretty good...

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffcc00></FONT>[url=http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Ratix240sx/?action=view&current=untitled5.jpg][/url]

Quote:I actually agree with the build it as we go philosphy but at the sametime I actually think we have enough peices to turn it around next year if we get it right with the QB and oline. I think people who are saying 3-4 years are just under estimating the talent on the roster because they have to have an excuse as to why we are bad. BTW the Shack era rosters where actually pretty good...

I think coming in we had enough pieces to turn it around with a few good drafts. problem is we have the same exact holes at the same exact positions as last offseason, so basically we wasted this entire offseason.

At the end of last year we had the biggest problems at QB, OG, C, DE, OLB, CB, RT so I'll ask at this point half way into year one what holes do we have to address next offseason, QB, OG, C, DE, OLB, CB, RT in addition to RB, DT, and depth at just about every other position.