Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talk about the Season Opener

(09-06-2017, 01:28 PM)git\er_done Wrote: I feel like this is the least amount of excitement amongst the fan base going into a season opener. In past years there was at least some talk about an ascending player. This year, I don't even pick up on much buzz with Fournette or Robinson. No one's raving about Bouye or Campbell since one didn't play at all during the preseason and the other, not much, being a veteran. All of us feel confused and numb with the whole QB situation.

I agree with you here.

The hurricanes are not helping matters.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This Sunday in Houston is going to be special. Count on it.

Do we have the slightest chance of winning this game? Even if we play as well as we can play, there is absolutely no way the referees let HOU lose this home game after Harvey.

The best thing to do is to hope Watt doesn't kill Bortles, there are no injuries, and just move on to week 2.

(09-06-2017, 03:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Do we have the slightest chance of winning this game? Even if we play as well as we can play, there is absolutely no way the referees let HOU lose this home game after Harvey.

The best thing to do is to hope Watt doesn't kill Bortles, there are no injuries, and just move on to week 2.

Maybe they won't let the tinhorns win because during the actual game the Jags/Our city might be getting destroyed by Irma. Rolleyes
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-06-2017, 08:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is my hope and worry. Fournette has the surprise value at the moment and the Texans won't have been able to study him much bar college tape. If we can have some plays and ideas that we have ALREADY practiced and honned then we can hopefully keep the Texans guessing and off balance and play a bit more coverage than blitzing. That opens up the running and passing.... 

My worry is that we'll either play cautious and just keep smashing Fournette into that front 7 taking 2 yards and just hope he'll break one and meaning we face constant pressure on Blake. And by playing cautious we just hope the D will keep them out.

I've been really unhappy with a lot of our playcalling for some time now. I just want to see some intelligence, actual adjustments, and being aggressive, not just sending 5, I mean smart calls in the right situations. I'm just not sold on Hackett or Wash yet sadly.

What is the time frame for your play calling dissatisfaction?

I would think the play calling the last two weeks of last year would have satisfied more Jaguars fans.

Preseason?  Typically vanilla.  I guess I shouldn't expect overreaction to that, but fans will be fans.

But I would think the play calling of the last two games last year would be a source of hope.

My timeframe would basically be years. Years and years of headscratching. I hated Olson and couldn't ever work out what he wanted to do. I don't think we used the 3 WR's and Thomas well, that should be a matchup nightmare for a D, especially in the red zone but we seem to focus on short, 'high percentage' plays that othen leaves us in 3rd and long. Personally, I love some like Arians in Arizona. Aggressive, makes the D adjust to you , calls as many big yard plays as small. I get that's not every team but we must have run the QB roll with a screen pass to Lee like 500 times last year. 

D wise, nowvi blame Gus system. Under Del Rio we had a legitimate, strong D. Now I get we blew the team up but i have been pretty unimpressed by what we are doing. Im sick of seeing WR's wide open with 4 D players perfectly surrounding him but 6 yards off. I just don't see an identity on either side of the ball for us. When we had Fred and Mojo we were a solid running team, with Stroud and Henderson we were tough to run on. I just don't see what this teams 'money play is.

I hopeful Tom and Marrone can build this over the course of the season. I look at teams like Oakland last year, nobody had them doing that well but in that first game in New Orleans, they go for 2, win the game and are on a roll. I pray that we are somewhere close to that.

And I have hope for this season, it's just all on Blake so can't get excited or depressed .....yet!

There's no chance we win this game. Literally zero.

(09-06-2017, 05:57 PM)haveaseat Wrote: There's no chance we win this game. Literally zero.

Like I said. J.J. Watt is going to come out like someone trashed his car. All we can really hope for is that nobody gets hurt.

[Image: forest-whitaker-fast-times-ridgemont-hig...oto-GC.jpg]

(09-06-2017, 05:57 PM)haveaseat Wrote: There's no chance we win this game. Literally zero.

I disagree. Week 1 is the week when anything can happen. First off, we have yet to see a Marrone gameplan. If you believe straight off the bat that the Jags have no shot, then hiring Marrone was a mistake. He was given a 2 week internship, and at end of the day that was not his show. This is his show now along with Hackett and Wash. In preseason they are running basic vanilla plays and give no indication of what they are going to be doing. The Texans basically have last years 2 games and the Buffalo tape to scout. The offensive line is what it is and we all know what Blake brings, but the staff has been given all off season to spit ball ideas on how to bring it week 1 and go forward. I can almost guarantee Coughlin and Marrone have been bouncing ideas off each other. The defense and the special teams are good enough to keep this team in the game. I understand that the Texans will be playing their hearts out for their city and one thing the Jags MUST do is limit early mistakes and slow the game down. Ramsey and Bouye are no joke and if they got a shot to make a play I am betting they will and that can turn around a game quick.

(09-06-2017, 06:25 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

I disagree. Week 1 is the week when anything can happen. First off, we have yet to see a Marrone gameplan. If you believe straight off the bat that the Jags have no shot, then hiring Marrone was a mistake. He was given a 2 week internship, and at end of the day that was not his show. This is his show now along with Hackett and Wash. In preseason they are running basic vanilla plays and give no indication of what they are going to be doing. The Texans basically have last years 2 games and the Buffalo tape to scout. The offensive line is what it is and we all know what Blake brings, but the staff has been given all off season to spit ball ideas on how to bring it week 1 and go forward. I can almost guarantee Coughlin and Marrone have been bouncing ideas off each other. The defense and the special teams are good enough to keep this team in the game. I understand that the Texans will be playing their hearts out for their city and one thing the Jags MUST do is limit early mistakes and slow the game down. Ramsey and Bouye are no joke and if they got a shot to make a play I am betting they will and that can turn around a game quick.

I think the point here is that even were we the Patriots, the Texans were ceded to win the game just because of Harvey.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-05-2017, 12:22 AM)SuperJville Wrote: I think the Texans are going to kill us personally.

(09-06-2017, 12:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 11:30 AM)JNev Wrote: Seems pretty likely the Texans starting LT Duane Brown will be out. I think we kind of expected it, but it's great to see it becoming more and more of a reality.

But can we take advantage of his absence?

I've seen too many times over the years where a unit of an opposing team is depleted, yet the Jaguars were unable to capitalize on it.

A few years back, Seattle's offensive line was decimated by injuries, but we couldn't do anything about it, and they beat us 41-0.

Further back, we lost to Tennessee at home even though their secondary was down to their 7th and 8th guys.

I'd like to think the Texans would miss Brown against us, but I've been disappointed before.

Did you ever consider who made up our DL that day in Seattle? It was nothing like our current front four. That was in 2010, when Matt Hasselback and Shaun Alexander were in their primes and we did not have nearly as much talent as we do now on defense. And we all know about the 12th Man combined with our dreadful West coast record.

(09-06-2017, 08:28 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 12:22 AM)SuperJville Wrote: I think the Texans are going to kill us personally.

(09-06-2017, 12:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: But can we take advantage of his absence?

I've seen too many times over the years where a unit of an opposing team is depleted, yet the Jaguars were unable to capitalize on it.

A few years back, Seattle's offensive line was decimated by injuries, but we couldn't do anything about it, and they beat us 41-0.

Further back, we lost to Tennessee at home even though their secondary was down to their 7th and 8th guys.

I'd like to think the Texans would miss Brown against us, but I've been disappointed before.

Did you ever consider who made up our DL that day in Seattle? It was nothing like our current front four. That was in 2010, when Matt Hasselback and Shaun Alexander were in their primes and we did not have nearly as much talent as we do now on defense. And we all know about the 12th Man combined with our dreadful West coast record.
Could have been a Jags patched up line or def being whiffed after 20min of def plays in first half
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

The Texans don't impress me any more than they did last season when they beat us twice by a whopping total of four points. I just see them as a slightly better version of us. That said, I see the Jags losing because that's what they do. They're a friggin Geico commercial. To me, they're losers until they prove otherwise.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 11:33 PM by haveaseat.)

(09-06-2017, 06:36 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 06:25 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I disagree. Week 1 is the week when anything can happen. First off, we have yet to see a Marrone gameplan. If you believe straight off the bat that the Jags have no shot, then hiring Marrone was a mistake. He was given a 2 week internship, and at end of the day that was not his show. This is his show now along with Hackett and Wash. In preseason they are running basic vanilla plays and give no indication of what they are going to be doing. The Texans basically have last years 2 games and the Buffalo tape to scout. The offensive line is what it is and we all know what Blake brings, but the staff has been given all off season to spit ball ideas on how to bring it week 1 and go forward. I can almost guarantee Coughlin and Marrone have been bouncing ideas off each other. The defense and the special teams are good enough to keep this team in the game. I understand that the Texans will be playing their hearts out for their city and one thing the Jags MUST do is limit early mistakes and slow the game down. Ramsey and Bouye are no joke and if they got a shot to make a play I am betting they will and that can turn around a game quick.

I think the point here is that even were we the Patriots, the Texans were ceded to win the game just because of Harvey.

Exactly. The NFL is run like a soap opera. Like does anyone really believe Zeke playing week one makes sense because of it being a day later ruling because of Labor Day? If so I got a bridge to sell you.

The refs missed 16 penalties in our opener against Green Bay. If you think the lowly Jags are gonna be allowed to win this game you're crazy. It's over already.

i hope this is our year
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-06-2017, 11:33 PM)haveaseat Wrote: Exactly. The NFL is run like a soap opera. Like does anyone really believe Zeke playing week one makes sense because of it being a day later ruling because of Labor Day? If so I got a bridge to sell you.

The refs missed 16 penalties in our opener against Green Bay. If you think the lowly Jags are gonna be allowed to win this game you're crazy. It's over already.
If you truly believe this then why in the hell would you even watch or follow the NFL. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you like soap operas? Just curious.

I know for me the second it became clear of the fraud and fight rigging in professional boxing I ceased to watch and have not since.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-03-2017, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:42 AM)B2hibry Wrote: #3 The texans have a weak secondary ... 

This is the third time I've seen someone state this about the tinhorns when discussing this match-up. 
I don't find it to be accurate. The texans had a top 5 pass defense last season and while losing Bouye stings a bit, he was only starting because of injury and their the starting CB tandem of Kevin Johnson and Jonathan Joseph is a good one.

An argument can be made that their top tier pass defense achieved that because of the front 7.  The Jags can win this game if they minimize mistakes and turnovers on offense, establish the running game, and get consistent pressure on Savage. This is a great early test for the Jags. I see the tinhorns as a pretty pedestrian team outside of that front 7.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 08:35 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

(09-06-2017, 09:33 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: The Texans don't impress me any more than they did last season when they beat us twice by a whopping total of four points. I just see them as a slightly better version of us. That said, I see the Jags losing because that's what they do. They're a friggin Geico commercial. To me, they're losers until they prove otherwise.

What is the Geico commercial reference?

Texans have a weak interior D. I loved the way LF ran in his debut. He is a punisher. If we can punish their interior while taking Watt and Clowney out of the game, we can win. But people have to understand. The entire NFL and the Refs will be against the Jaguars in this matchup. It is nearly impossible to overcome. This is not a conspiracy, simply a fact.

(09-07-2017, 11:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Texans have a weak interior D. I loved the way LF ran in his debut. He is a punisher. If we can punish their interior while taking Watt and Clowney out of the game, we can win. But people have to understand. The entire NFL and the Refs will be against the Jaguars in this matchup. It is nearly impossible to overcome. This is not a conspiracy, simply a fact.

True. EVERYONE AND THEIR MAMA IS AGAISNT THE JAGS THIS WEEK.

But JJ Watt will come out like he is John Wick and u killed his wife. 

I dont care what lageman says. RUN THE BALL RIGHT AT HIM.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(09-07-2017, 12:09 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 11:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Texans have a weak interior D. I loved the way LF ran in his debut. He is a punisher. If we can punish their interior while taking Watt and Clowney out of the game, we can win. But people have to understand. The entire NFL and the Refs will be against the Jaguars in this matchup. It is nearly impossible to overcome. This is not a conspiracy, simply a fact.

True. EVERYONE AND THEIR MAMA IS AGAISNT THE JAGS THIS WEEK.

But JJ Watt will come out like he is John Wick and u killed his wife. 

I dont care what lageman says. RUN THE BALL RIGHT AT HIM.

If we can establish the run, we can use that to set up some short passes. I have seen nothing to make me believe there will be any long passes completed. Tom Savage is absolute trash, so as long as he has a long field, I have no doubts we can force him into some mistakes. I am more worried about abandoning the game plan, and their defense getting a pick 6 or some sack, fumble, TD return.