Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags, Just Get A Great QB, And Let's Win It All Next Year!

(01-30-2018, 11:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's like the SAT in here...

TheSchmidt is to _____________ as SpaceCoastJag is to Bortles.

How are they comparable at all? From what I've seen Schmidt has been level headed and provided a lot of data from many different angles to back up his opinions. The evidence might not point in the direction you want it to, but he's done a good job defending it. That should be seen as admirable and constructive to a discussion no matter where your biases lay.

Spacecoast is, well, the complete opposite.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bortles won't pass the physical so there's that.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

If no one is brought in someone needs to be fired. I know theres alot of time to bring someone in still obviously.
No Fun

(01-31-2018, 12:28 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Link?

Process of elimination now that Smith is off the market. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigcatc...ke-bortles

Lol, that post is of as much value as any opinion on this MB.

(01-31-2018, 12:54 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 11:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's like the SAT in here...

TheSchmidt is to _____________ as SpaceCoastJag is to Bortles.

How are they comparable at all? From what I've seen Schmidt has been level headed and provided a lot of data from many different angles to back up his opinions. The evidence might not point in the direction you want it to, but he's done a good job defending it. That should be seen as admirable and constructive to a discussion no matter where your biases lay.

Spacecoast is, well, the complete opposite.

Yeah, so did SCJ...at first. Then the obsession emerged.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-30-2018, 09:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 08:53 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: neat little nugget

when the final margin of victory is between 0-7 points

Bortles: 95-180, 999 yards, 52%, 4 TD, 6 INT

Cousins: 104-153, 1,274 yards, 68%, 8 TD 1 INT

4th quarter when the score was within a TD, winning or losing

Bortles: 23-51, 206 yards, 45%, 0 TD, 5 INT

Cousins: 34-54, 446 yards, 63%, 2 TD, 2 INT

Cherry picked stats, we can all find them and spin them. Don't mean much.

Cousins is about to be the highest paid QB/player in the NFL. He has 3 full seasons as the QB for the Redskins. In those 3 seasons, he has taken them to the playoffs one time (2015) and they lost that game. He can't even carry his own team, yet hes about to be the highest paid QB/player in the NFL? No thank you.

Further more, who's to say he even shows up after getting that much money? He could pack it in for 3-4 years, knowing he's completely safe and he can just coast his way to another contract. You sign somebody to that kind of money, you sure as hell aren't going to cut him anytime soon because that cap hit will be huge.

Cousins might be an upgrade, but he isn't $8-10mil better than Bortles and he sure as hell isn't anywhere close to deserving to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

I, in no way, shape, or form want Cousins.  But if you know anything about him is a person this paragraph is not going to be the case no matter who he signs with.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

My initial thoughts are to go after Cousins. I think he is a much better QB than Blake. Career stats for cousins are much better in every category. This year teams stacked the box every game. Blake did seem to play better by not turning it over as much and using his legs to make plays. But it was more a pure game manager role. But on steroids, IMO. The team seemed to lack faith in him due to the play calling at times. Now, on the flip side. How much of that is attributed to this wrist injury? How would Blake have been and how would teams stack the box had ARob, Hurns, and Lee been healthy all year? Idk. Kirk Cousins seems to fix that issue regardless of whether the WR’s were all healthy. I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again. I’m glad I’m not the one that has to make the decision.

Agreed with Rico, Cousins is a competitor. We're not talking about Haynesworth here. Cousins WANTS to win games. He'd be an interesting fit in Denver.

But he's not coming here. I think Bortles' play against the Steelers in the divisional round, as well as his play in the first half of the AFCCG solidified that fact. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, and a price tag like the one Cousins would get would dismantle this team's defense at the very least. They'd have to say goodbye to good players.

I'd look at trading for a guy like Bridgewater if they MUST have competition for Bortles at the starter, to provide some jump for him. But other than that, if you listen to some of the interviews key players like Fournette have done about Bortles, you'd see that they LOVE Blake. Lockerroom chemistry is something that I feel is underrated around these boards. You get rid of Blake, it's akin to having a great boss you're fond of get fired and then replaced with an absolute jerk. You'd be able to do your job, sure, and maybe do it competently. But do you honestly think it WON'T affect the office at all?

For the record i'm so-so on Bortles, and pessimistic about this team drafting a Baker Mayfield to replace or compete with him. I'd love that, but I'm doubting it happens. At this point i'm hoping beyond hope that Blake, having reached the AFC championship, drives himself to excel and improves this next season.

(01-31-2018, 09:01 AM)Nikowho Wrote: Agreed with Rico, Cousins is a competitor. We're not talking about Haynesworth here. Cousins WANTS to win games. He'd be an interesting fit in Denver.

But he's not coming here. I think Bortles' play against the Steelers in the divisional round, as well as his play in the first half of the AFCCG solidified that fact. The devil you  know is better than the devil you don't, and a price tag like the one Cousins would get would dismantle this team's defense at the very least. They'd have to say goodbye to good players.

I'd look at trading for a guy like Bridgewater if they MUST have competition for Bortles at the starter, to provide some jump for him. But other than that, if you listen to some of the interviews key players like Fournette have done about Bortles, you'd see that they LOVE Blake. Lockerroom chemistry is something that I feel is underrated around these boards. You get rid of Blake, it's akin to having a great boss you're fond of get fired and then replaced with an absolute jerk. You'd be able to do your job, sure, and maybe do it competently. But do you honestly think it WON'T affect the office at all?

For the record i'm so-so on Bortles, and pessimistic about this team drafting a Baker Mayfield to replace or compete with him. I'd love that, but I'm doubting it happens. At this point i'm hoping beyond hope that Blake, having reached the AFC championship, drives himself to excel and improves this next season.

Regarding the last paragraph,  Blake does seem to have confidence issues at times.  Maybe going to the AFCCG helps that.

(01-31-2018, 09:04 AM)Jags Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 09:01 AM)Nikowho Wrote: Agreed with Rico, Cousins is a competitor. We're not talking about Haynesworth here. Cousins WANTS to win games. He'd be an interesting fit in Denver.

But he's not coming here. I think Bortles' play against the Steelers in the divisional round, as well as his play in the first half of the AFCCG solidified that fact. The devil you  know is better than the devil you don't, and a price tag like the one Cousins would get would dismantle this team's defense at the very least. They'd have to say goodbye to good players.

Regarding the last paragraph,  Blake does seem to have confidence issues at times.  Maybe going to the AFCCG helps that.

I didn't see that at all...this year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Say the team wanted Cousins.. I don't see us winning the bidding war that is about to brew. I'd love a QB upgrade but I don't think we need to be in a bidding war. We are going to need to develop a QB for this team. With a special defense in place, you need to ride that and grow offensive improvements any way you can. There were reports that the team ran out of plays against the NE because they could only install so much in a week. It is possible that we will see a different offense next year.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM by PVKnight.)

Have any of you looked at Kirk Cousin's fumbles? He lost 13 last year alone and 9 both of the previous two years before that! He has 13 fumble returns for TDs in the last 3 years! He throws it pretty well, but his pocket awareness and grip are about as good as mine after a bucket of fried chicken.

Cousin's had 26 turnovers last year. Bortles had 20 and that is viewed as too many!

He's also been known to shrink during big games. Go back and look at his 11 INTs and 6 TDs in December 2016 with the playoffs on the line.

PFT reporting Jags keeping Bortles this year.

(01-31-2018, 09:29 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: PFT reporting Jags keeping Bortles this year.

That's not really a surprise to me. That was completely expected. Keep him on his current deal and draft competition to groom. I think this is the best move.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 09:49 AM by Jagwired.)

(01-31-2018, 09:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's not really a surprise to me. That was completely expected. Keep him on his current deal and draft competition to groom. I think this is the best move.
If it is a surprise for anyone familiar with the team I would have to assume they were dense. Do folks just not listen to the teams representatives and players?

Since when do competent mamagers dump the QB that just got them minutes from the Big Dance?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-31-2018, 07:31 AM)nhiverson Wrote: If no one is brought in someone needs to be fired. I know theres alot of time to bring someone in still obviously.

(01-31-2018, 09:47 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 09:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's not really a surprise to me. That was completely expected. Keep him on his current deal and draft competition to groom. I think this is the best move.
If it is a surprise for anyone familiar with the team I would have to assume they were dense. Do folks just not listen to the teams representatives and players?

Since when do competent mamagers dump the QB that just got them minutes from the Big Dance?

You would be surprised. Literally after that game they had Ladanian Tomlinson and Deion Sanders talking about cutting and replacing Bortles just like that. And they were saying to draft Lamar Jackson or pick someone up. The best part of that logic is how foolish it sounds. If Lamar Jackson is so stellar and stunning and he'll draw fans into the seats (which, I don't even know why that was mentioned when we had ZERO problems last year in ticket sales because the TEAM, not an individual, were finally winning games) why or how would he end up falling to us at 29th overall? 

And the idea that we would have to move up to get a guy that's not nearly as polished as say a Deshaun Watson who was coming off an impressive come from behind victory against Alabama that year. And also showed in his three years at Clemson that although he may not have the strongest arm. He was pretty accurate throughout his career. And he also was pretty good at protecting the football when it came to his TD:INT ratio. Jackson is NOWHERE near as good as Watson was coming out of Clemson. Not even close. He's a really good athlete that needs a lot of work with his mechanics and footwork. 

And that running around QB play style doesn't last that long in the NFL. Not without some arm ability and talent. Wilson & Rodgers can throw it. And they only use their feet as a last resort. But if you have a guy out there with that "run first" mentality. Or a guy that drops back and says "Okay, first reads not open, BYE!". He won't last long in the NFL. That's basically Tyrod Taylor. In all honesty that's who we're probably looking at. 

I am fine with taking him at 29th overall to replace Henne. Maybe use him in some special plays or packages here and there as a rookie. But at the minimum you lean on Bortles for another year, sign a decent back up with recent starting experience that's clearly better than Henne. And then you maybe take Jackson if you still feel he's worth the time and development.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Everything has gone quiet on Eli manning, is he staying put at the giants?

(01-31-2018, 09:20 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Say the team wanted Cousins..  I don't see us winning the bidding war that is about to brew.  I'd love a QB upgrade but I don't think we need to be in a bidding war.  We are going to need to develop a QB for this team.  With a special defense in place, you need to ride that and grow offensive improvements any way you can.  There were reports that the team ran out of plays against the NE because they could only install so much in a week.  It is possible that we will see a different offense next year.

How many different ways do you need to draw up Fournette up the middle?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-31-2018, 09:20 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Say the team wanted Cousins..  I don't see us winning the bidding war that is about to brew.  I'd love a QB upgrade but I don't think we need to be in a bidding war.  We are going to need to develop a QB for this team.  With a special defense in place, you need to ride that and grow offensive improvements any way you can.  There were reports that the team ran out of plays against the NE because they could only install so much in a week.  It is possible that we will see a different offense next year.

Let hope we see a different Offense plan. When you are sitting there and dominating NE with a two back trips stacked formation being able to run multiple plays out of that formation with grant and 4net, and you never use it in the second half and get beat. I hope someone tells these coaches that even if you have a lead you dont sit on your butt and run up the middle the entire second half.

Cousins has already stated he is willing to take less in order to win.

(01-31-2018, 11:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Cousins has already stated he is willing to take less in order to win.

Which should scare you even more.

Redskins would rather have a glorified game manager than him.