Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags, Just Get A Great QB, And Let's Win It All Next Year!

All of the opposing coaches in the league know what the weakness of the Jags is. That many professionals can't be wrong. It's time for the Jags to make a splash. The defense is legit. The run game is legit. The passing game has the WRs  to be legit. All that's missing is a legit QB. It's one position. Albeit, the most important position on the field. It's time to bring the Lombardi home to Jacksonville though. Make it happen, Khan!
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Great advice Dakota, I'm sure the FO will appreciate you pointing it out to them.

(01-26-2018, 12:44 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Great advice Dakota, I'm sure the FO will appreciate you pointing it out to them.

They ALWAYS listen to me! Cool
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Easier said than done. And even if you think Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over Blake Bortles. The fact remains. Neither of those two have done anything better or significant in the post season in their respective careers. And Cousins is going to cost you big time salary wise so you won't be able to retain all of these great pieces as you've pointed out.

We've played ourselves out of a top slot to gain a rookie. And even if you did land a quality rookie it's rare they lead a team to a Superbowl. So it's a tough situation. I can just as easily throw it in your face and say that maybe had Blake Bortles had Allen Robinson all year that he's the difference in a lot of those 6 losses during the regular season and that Championship loss.

I mean. Do fans around here not realize that kid had virtually NOBODY at receiver this past season? Hurns? Off and on. Lee? Off and on and inconsistent with his hands. Robinson? GONE. Westbrook? Didn't come back until after week eight or week nine. Cole? Undrafted and came on hot late. Mickens? Undrafted and not even supposed to be in the receiving line up since he's on special teams.

Maybe the problem isn't Blake Bortles. Maybe it's the team just being young and not being able to stay healthy on offense. I've been bashing Blake Bortles now since 2016. And I was a huge critic going into 2017. I can't be tough on him anymore as a fan right now. Especially knowing we don't have an upgrade out there this off season.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Brees is the only upgrade so yeah...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(01-26-2018, 12:56 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Brees is the only upgrade so yeah...

its alarming the people who don't realize how much better Cousins is than Bortles

That is a false statement.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 01:15 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-26-2018, 01:09 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:

its alarming the people who don't realize how much better Cousins is than Bortles

Its funny how a guy ranked around 20th in most major statistical passing metrics is supposedly the same as a guy rated top 10 in most major categories.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(01-26-2018, 01:09 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:

It's alarming how many people think Cousins is anything special. He is not going to deserve the money he will get and I have a feeling once he gets the money he will be done. Matt Cassel

Elite QBs don't grow on trees.

(01-26-2018, 01:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:09 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: its alarming the people who don't realize how much better Cousins is than Bortles

It's alarming how many people think Cousins is anything special. He is not going to deserve the money he will get and I have a feeling once he gets the money he will be done. Matt Cassel

please tell me why you don't think hes special

We don't need a "Special" QB. We need a QB who complements our dominant defense and can throw an accurate pass to a QB and prevents the opposition from putting 9 in the box.

(01-26-2018, 01:09 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: its alarming the people who don't realize how much better Cousins is than Bortles

If you think he’s Matt Cassel, you are the worst evaluator of QB talent I’ve ever seen.

Here is the thing. People who truly want to see this team get BETTER need to realize we need an upgrade at QB. You cannot expect another magical run against a much harder schedule keeping the offense as it is. You have to evolve.

(01-26-2018, 01:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Here is the thing. People who truly want to see this team get BETTER need to realize we need an upgrade at QB. You cannot expect another magical run against a much harder schedule keeping the offense as it is. You have to evolve.

So add your #1 receiver, a Tight End who doesn't look like a dinosaur galloping down the field, and a road grader at Right Guard. Instant evolution.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-26-2018, 01:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Here is the thing. People who truly want to see this team get BETTER need to realize we need an upgrade at QB. You cannot expect another magical run against a much harder schedule keeping the offense as it is. You have to evolve.

What about those of us who think Bortles can still continue to get better?

Teams figured out late in the year that if you want to beat the Jaguars, all you have to do is make Bortles throw. He was bailed out by his receivers many times as they contorted themselves and left themselves dangerously exposed to big hits by twisting around to catch a pass behind them. As promising as Bortles looked for a while there, he regressed late. You hate to give up on a QB with his physical skills, but this was year four. If he was going to "get it", he'd get it by now.

Bortles will have a long career if he wants it as a lower-tier starter who can hold a team over while they find their guy, like a Jeff Blake or Steve DeBerg type. I don't see him as a franchise QB at this point. I hope I'm wrong, and I wish the guy well regardless of which uniform he's wearing, but a guy like Kirk Cousins would be an immediate, instant upgrade. I'm not 100% sold on Cousins, just like I'm not sold on giving up draft picks for Eli Manning or Alex Smith. In fact, I'm not even sure that Eli is better than Bortles at this point.

If we're going to draft a QB early, let's pull an Eli and trade way, way up like Coughlin did back in 2004 to get Eli Manning. Caldwell's done it with Julio Jones. If there really is a feeling in the organization that Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, whoever, is the man to preside over this team's window, go get him and sign Sam Bradford to be our stopgap (assuming he leaves Minnesota).

(01-26-2018, 01:53 PM)jagshype Wrote:

What about those of us who think Bortles can still continue to get better?

Clearly you truly don't want this team to get BETTER!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 01:58 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Its alarming to think all you ppl still believe its BB5 that is the problem. you bring in a great QB he is going to do the same thing. Hand to 4net up the middle twice then try and throw on 3rd and long then punt. Hacketts offense is not going to change to a offensive explosion of passes if you get a guy in here that you perceive is a good passer. Hackett/marone are gonna run run let defense play they will curtail any QB that comes in here. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will undertand that there is not an upgrade to BB5.

He's already gotten generational money on the tag the past two years.  I'd be more concerned with seeing Bortles get paid on a long term deal early like some here want than I would seeing Cousins getting paid on a long term deal.  Just another in the long line of reasons why Bortles won't be getting a deal this offseason and if he's here next year it will be on the option.