Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

I go out of town on business and the team sneaks in and does what i had been suggesting all along. Granted i said to give him 20 mill a year for 2-3 but still Great move now you dont have to worry about next year when some other free agents come up for big contracts. If he fails he can still be cut and if he makes progress like this year we have him for 2 more. Like i had said at this moment in time the team really had the leverage to make a short term deal, but after this year if he had made progress forward and became even better we would have to decide to give him a 30m contract or franchise him at est 25m which would leave littel cap for some big signings next year. Good Job JAGS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 12:35 PM by Jagzfanfromiowa.)

Bortles said he stressed to Tollner that he didn’t want to fight over financial details at the expense of limiting what the Jaguars could do with other players.
“That was one of the big things when me and Ryan talked early on about this a week ago,” Bortles said. “I said, ‘We’re getting paid millions of dollars to play football.’ It’s tough to pitter patter about how much money you’re making. It’s all incredible. It’s all a dream come true. We’re all extremely lucky to do it.
“Rather than fight over money here or money there, let’s take what we can get because it’s more than I ever thought I’d make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around.”

This quote from Blake is the exact mindset that you want from the leader of your team.  I don't know how you can't be rooting for this guy.  Personally I think that about mid-way through next year we will realize how much of a steal this deal will end up being.

(02-25-2018, 12:31 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: “Rather than fight over money here or money there, let’s take what we can get because it’s more than I ever thought I’d make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around.”

This quote from Blake is the exact mindset that you want from the leader of your team.  I don't know how you can't be rooting for this guy.  Personally I think that about mid-way through next year we will realize how much of a steal this deal will end up being.

This+1

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM by The Real Marty.)

(02-25-2018, 12:33 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 12:31 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: “Rather than fight over money here or money there, let’s take what we can get because it’s more than I ever thought I’d make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around.”

This+1

+2

No matter what I ever thought about Blake as a QB, he always seemed like a good guy.

(02-25-2018, 12:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This will be Bortes fist time with 2 straight full years with the same offensive coordinator
Nah. He had Greg Olson for a full season. Then had him again the following but Olson was fired midway through season 2.

He’s had Hackett for 1 season and will have him again next year. I doubt Hackett gets fired mid season but ya never know.

After reading a bit about the contract. It seems 54m for 3 years with incentives up 12.5m. So if BB5 hits his incentives thats 22m a year. Not to shabby if he gets it done.

(02-25-2018, 01:09 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: After reading a bit about the contract. It seems 54m for 3 years with incentives up 12.5m. So if BB5 hits his incentives thats 22m a year. Not to shabby if he gets it done.

One of those incentives is SB MVP.

Man I hope he hits that one!

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 01:49 PM by Upper.)

I think Breer was mistaken. Spotrac has it broken down like Arif did too.

@ArifHasanNFL
Verified account
57m57 minutes ago
$15M of first-year cash comes in signing bonus, not guaranteed base. That's why his cap hit in 2018 is only $10M. That means the dead cap getting rid of him in 2019 is $16.5M, with $10M coming from accelerated cap and the other $6.5 from base. It costs $16.5M to bail, not $6.5M

I liked it better when we thought it was 18 mil this year and then an easy cut or a bargain going forward if he takes another step. Now he's basically locked in through 2019 cause we aren't going to mess with 16.5 mil dead cap.

(02-25-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote: I think Breer was mistaken. Spotrac has it broken down like Arif did too.

@ArifHasanNFL
Verified account
57m57 minutes ago
$15M of first-year cash comes in signing bonus, not guaranteed base. That's why his cap hit in 2018 is only $10M. That means the dead cap getting rid of him in 2019 is $16.5M, with $10M coming from accelerated cap and the other $6.5 from base. It costs $16.5M to bail, not $6.5M

I liked it better when we thought it was 18 mil this year and then an easy cut or a bargain going forward if he takes another step. Now he's basically locked in through 2019 cause we aren't going to mess with 16.5 mil dead cap.

While I agree with you, I think nothing practically changes: if Bortles won't be the answer his successor will be the guy we draft (probably this year) so it's important to draft and develop the right guy behind him.
If Bortles improves, it's all good. If he doesn't and the team decides to move on in 2019 he will be on the bench or we'll take the loss for the year with the dead cap and the young QB will step in together with a cheap veteran.
Even if the dead cap money were 6.5M there wouldn't be anyway an upgrade in FA next season to make a splash on, so the key will always be Bortles improvement and getting the right guy behind him to sit and develop behind him this year.

This helps open up a lot of options. Might even be enough to keep AC
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-25-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote: I think Breer was mistaken. Spotrac has it broken down like Arif did too.

@ArifHasanNFL
Verified account
57m57 minutes ago

I agree I liked it better when I thought it was the other way, but it makes so much more sense why Bortles signed it now.  It's really $26.5 mil for injury guarantees this year and he'll be on the roster next year as well with that dead money number barring a trade so the non-injury total guarantee is this year's salary plus next year's which is a total of $36 million.

If we draft a QB high this year, and I fully expect we'll make every effort to do so now, Bortles' salary next year won't be terrible for being a back up if it plays out that way.  I really can't imagine us going into next year without the heir apparent on the roster, unless the draft falls terribly bad for us this year.

Cap space is looking good now.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

Thank god for Idzik and Caldwell.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

So does this mean we don’t need to cut Hurns now?

Unless we go after Jimmy Graham, I think we won’t need to make further salary-cuts and might even be able to afford Colvin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(02-25-2018, 02:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: Cap space is looking good now.

Does this include the cap jump this year yes?

(02-25-2018, 03:23 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 02:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: Cap space is looking good now.

Does this include the cap jump this year yes?

Yes. It includes the estimated cap increase.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

If we kept him for 2 years he would make 15.5 mil per year

Chhhhhaaaammmmpppppiiiooonnnshhiiippppl

Not

Bortles is only 25 years old, tough as nails, athletic,  and just proved he can win the big games.  Jags got a Bargin.  The smart thing to do is cut Henne, Draft an insurance policy early, Lets see where this goes.  

Kirk Cousins was pretty Mediocre his first few years and so what Alex Smith.  These are 2 of the names that has been floating around on the board lately.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(02-25-2018, 10:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we kept him for 2 years he would make 15.5 mil per year

How do you figure?  From the estimates I've seen, he'll make a combined $36 million barring incentives for 2018 and 2019.