Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lets talk Fournette

(01-03-2020, 12:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 11:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Oh, please...

You said his ceiling was Richardson. Richardson flamed out in his third year. Fournette had to account for the shortcomings of a woeful offense in his third year and he produced good results.  Please tell me how you AREN'T wrong. 

And please don't try to "hang your hat" on touchdowns. Anyone with one working eyeball saw this team struggle in the redzone most of the season and it wasn't only Fournette's skillset holding them back. The board was littered every week with posters begging Flip to alter the run scheme inside the 10 yd line. 

It's hilarious I don't really even like the player, but I can see how bad your take on him is even though I'm in no way inclined to defend him.

Everything you say there is either wrong or nonsensical in the context of what we're talking about. I wouldn't be shocked if Fournette is out of the league after his rookie contract, but we'll see. I'd be surprised if this team even picks up his fifth year option.

If the Jaguars don't pick it up what does that say about him?

As for the rest, we saw Fournette lose yardage in the red zone plenty of times and get stopped at point blank range against the Texans to lose the game. The problem with your argument is it exposes the weakness of your position by itself. Complaints about scheme and such.

A guy that fails because of scheme at running back is a bust of a pick at number four overall. At that draft position you should be getting guys like Jalen Ramsey or Josh Allen. Guys that will be winners at their position and make it easier for the coach to scheme wins, not guys that the coach gets headaches about because he's being forced into the lineup thanks to draft position and hamstringing what the coach can do with scheme.

Incorrect.  

What I'm saying is what I've been saying all along. Your Richardson comp was absolutely stupid. That is my "position."
You simply keep ignoring that and try to deflect with 2019 TD numbers and various garbage speculations. 

Your inability to know and understand the difference between a bust and an overdrafted player has gone beyond dumb to "willful ignorance" at this point. 

And please don't try to tell me about what a back picked that high should be like. I led the [BLEEP] charge on that topic for months here before and after we took him. 

I'm moving on, flame away with more herpderp.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-03-2020, 12:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 11:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Oh, please...

You said his ceiling was Richardson. Richardson flamed out in his third year. Fournette had to account for the shortcomings of a woeful offense in his third year and he produced good results.  Please tell me how you AREN'T wrong. 

And please don't try to "hang your hat" on touchdowns. Anyone with one working eyeball saw this team struggle in the redzone most of the season and it wasn't only Fournette's skillset holding them back. The board was littered every week with posters begging Flip to alter the run scheme inside the 10 yd line. 

It's hilarious I don't really even like the player, but I can see how bad your take on him is even though I'm in no way inclined to defend him.

Everything you say there is either wrong or nonsensical in the context of what we're talking about. I wouldn't be shocked if Fournette is out of the league after his rookie contract, but we'll see. I'd be surprised if this team even picks up his fifth year option.

As for the rest, we saw Fournette lose yardage in the red zone plenty of times and get stopped at point blank range against the Texans to lose the game. The problem with your argument is it exposes the weakness of your position by itself. Complaints about scheme and such.

A guy that fails because of scheme at running back is a bust of a pick at number four overall. At that draft position you should be getting guys like Jalen Ramsey or Josh Allen. Guys that will be winners at their position and make it easier for the coach to scheme wins, not guys that the coach gets headaches about because he's being forced into the lineup thanks to draft position and hamstringing what the coach can do with scheme.

Did you know the Jags offensive line gave up more contact before or at the line than 85% of offensive lines? 

Fournette being a bad draft pick is a different argument to him being a bad football player

(01-03-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 12:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Everything you say there is either wrong or nonsensical in the context of what we're talking about. I wouldn't be shocked if Fournette is out of the league after his rookie contract, but we'll see. I'd be surprised if this team even picks up his fifth year option.

Did you know the Jags offensive line gave up more contact before or at the line than 85% of offensive lines? 

Fournette being a bad draft pick is a different argument to him being a bad football player
You can't blame the OL solely because the RB took forever to find the hole instead of running to where the hole is immediately.

How many hits in the backfield did the OL give up against the Colts? That would show more who is the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Glad we got him instead of Howard

(01-03-2020, 04:33 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: Did you know the Jags offensive line gave up more contact before or at the line than 85% of offensive lines? 

You can't blame the OL solely because the RB took forever to find the hole instead of running to where the hole is immediately.

How many hits in the backfield did the OL give up against the Colts? That would show more who is the problem.

Yards before contact is more an Oline stat than a RB stat. The best lines every year lead the league in it. 

Nobody is blaming anybody solely

(01-03-2020, 05:54 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 04:33 PM)p_rushing Wrote: You can't blame the OL solely because the RB took forever to find the hole instead of running to where the hole is immediately.

Yards before contact is more an Oline stat than a RB stat. The best lines every year lead the league in it. 

Agreed, but I wouldn't say this OL is as bad as the results with LF show it to be. Great OLs make poor RBs look better and great RBs make poor OLs look better.

This OL was average and LF is average with a great OL, so he looked bad for the most part with some nice long runs where he actually hits the hole and doesn't slow down before getting to the OL.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(01-03-2020, 06:08 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 05:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yards before contact is more an Oline stat than a RB stat. The best lines every year lead the league in it. 

Agreed, but I wouldn't say this OL is as bad as the results with LF show it to be. Great OLs make poor RBs look better and great RBs make poor OLs look better.

This OL was average and LF is average with a great OL, so he looked bad for the most part with some nice long runs where he actually hits the hole and doesn't slow down before getting to the OL.

Thats a strange logical leap to make. I wouldn't say Fournette looked bad by any stretch of the imagination. The run game in the red zone got annihilated off the snap and was overused, thats not a Leonard Fournette problem, thats a coaching problem.  

The left side of the line started off the year blocking v well but declined over the 2nd half of the season. Overall it was a below average blocking year and a average to above average running year from Fournette from my perspective of things

I will say that a top 5 pick at RB should transcend bad oline play.

(01-03-2020, 07:55 PM)Upper Wrote: I will say that a top 5 pick at RB should transcend bad oline play.

I'd say he has.

Imagine if he hadn't had any bad games, though... were he a bit more consistent.  But was that lack of consistency his, his line, or his offensive coordinator?

Regardless, his season was quite impressive even though a handful of games were not.

The only statistic he was lacking in was TDs.

He had 20+ carries in only 5 games.  If we weren't playing from behind so many minutes, maybe things would have been even better.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(01-03-2020, 07:55 PM)Upper Wrote: I will say that a top 5 pick at RB should transcend bad oline play.

Him being an awful pick isn't the same as him being bad though

You need to look at the stats. It's too complicated to do it on mobile to post each game, but take away his longest carry of each game and his stats look terrible.

He would be at 726 yards for 2.9 ypc. That is a bust. I would rather have a back who picks up yards on every carry, not one who picks up most of his yards on 1 or 2 carries.

(01-04-2020, 01:28 AM)p_rushing Wrote: You need to look at the stats. It's too complicated to do it on mobile to post each game, but take away his longest carry of each game and his stats look terrible.

He would be at 726 yards for 2.9 ypc. That is a bust. I would rather have a back who picks up yards on every carry, not one who picks up most of his yards on 1 or 2 carries.

this is an extremely backwards method of analysis for a RB. Fournette being a bust for where he was picked is again not the same as him being outright bad. Remember to add in his receiving play as that is a big pat of Rb play in the modern era

Broke the record for most receptions in a season by a RB right? For our franchise.

(01-04-2020, 01:28 AM)p_rushing Wrote: You need to look at the stats. It's too complicated to do it on mobile to post each game, but take away his longest carry of each game and his stats look terrible.

What a terrible way to look at it...

I'm not really a fan of Fournette at all, but you could look at every RB in the league and take away their longest carry of each game and all of their numbers are going to drop...

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:15 AM by SeldomRite.)

(01-04-2020, 04:24 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

I'm not really a fan of Fournette at all, but you could look at every RB in the league and take away their longest carry of each game and all of their numbers are going to drop...

It's not terrible, he's just clearly not a statistician able to explain what he's talking about. If you want to get an idea of his consistency you can do things like removing outlier runs and calculating a few things. Ideally you'd want your running back to be consistent in getting good yardage on each run, something like 4, 5, 4, 5, 3, 5, 6 for a 4.5 yard average. Not something like 12, -3, 1, 6, 15, -4 for 4.5 average. The first one helps you get to field goal range, the second one gets you a couple of punts.

The below article touches on the unimportance of a strong running game in the modern NFL, and essentially what a stupid draft selection Fournette was.
https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/whic...-playoffs/

(01-04-2020, 04:24 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Yes others will fall, but LF loses more than 1 ypc. You could do further analysis on the data, but would need each run for every RB. A starting RB should be consistent, not relying on long runs to get any yards. I'm sure the mean, median, and mode is skewed but without having all the detailed data, it's a way to quickly show value of LF running the ball. If you can't move the chains because you are under 3 ypc for most carriers, then you can't get a 1st down.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 09:26 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-04-2020, 08:13 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 04:24 AM)Eric1 Wrote: What a terrible way to look at it...

It's not terrible, he's just clearly not a statistician able to explain what he's talking about. If you want to get an idea of his consistency you can do things like removing outlier runs and calculating a few things. Ideally you'd want your running back to be consistent in getting good yardage on each run, something like 4, 5, 4, 5, 3, 5, 6 for a 4.5 yard average. Not something like 12, -3, 1, 6, 15, -4 for 4.5 average. The first one helps you get to field goal range, the second one gets you a couple of punts.

The below article touches on the unimportance of a strong running game in the modern NFL, and essentially what a stupid draft selection Fournette was.
https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/whic...-playoffs/

I put the lack of consistency on the offensive line, which was rated the 26th best in the league.  For Fournette to do as well as he did in spite of that offensive line is to his credit.  I know he's not elusive.  He's a downhill runner.  Downhill runners need space, and there were countless times I can remember when he took the handoff and was immediately met by a defender in the backfield.

As for the allegation that Fournette was a "stupid draft selection," we can't have a do-over.  He's on the team, he's a good player, and we would do well to focus on areas where we have actual HOLES in our roster like LB, DT, TE, etc etc.   There's an old saying, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."  LF is not perfect, but he is good, and arguing about whether he ought to be on the team when we have HOLES IN OTHER AREAS is pretty silly.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 09:59 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-04-2020, 09:02 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 04:24 AM)Eric1 Wrote: What a terrible way to look at it...

Yes others will fall, but LF loses more than 1 ypc. You could do further analysis on the data, but would need each run for every RB. A starting RB should be consistent, not relying on long runs to get any yards. I'm sure the mean, median, and mode is skewed but without having all the detailed data, it's a way to quickly show value of LF running the ball. If you can't move the chains because you are under 3 ypc for most carriers, then you can't get a 1st down.

I'd love to see that data that show how many times he's been hit well behind the line of scrimmage almost as soon as he gets the ball.

So why don't we subtract those too?  I mean, they're 'outliers' and all.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-04-2020, 09:57 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 09:02 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Yes others will fall, but LF loses more than 1 ypc. You could do further analysis on the data, but would need each run for every RB. A starting RB should be consistent, not relying on long runs to get any yards. I'm sure the mean, median, and mode is skewed but without having all the detailed data, it's a way to quickly show value of LF running the ball. If you can't move the chains because you are under 3 ypc for most carriers, then you can't get a 1st down.

I'd love to see that data that show how many times he's been hit well behind the line of scrimmage almost as soon as he gets the ball.

Probably would make more sense to account for how often defenders get penetration rather than how many times they're hit.

Why that way, you ask? Because you're suggesting rewarding Fournette for failing to ever make anyone miss while those running backs that make his miss don't get credit for that.

Statistical analysis models can be complex if you want to arrive at any kind of useful result. Really, though, for a guy like Fournette, just the standard deviation of his average run is probably enough to tell us a lot about how inconsistent he is.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 10:15 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-04-2020, 10:08 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 09:57 AM)Rico Wrote: I'd love to see that data that show how many times he's been hit well behind the line of scrimmage almost as soon as he gets the ball.

Probably would make more sense to account for how often defenders get penetration rather than how many times they're hit.

Why that way, you ask? Because you're suggesting rewarding Fournette for failing to ever make anyone miss while those running backs that make his miss don't get credit for that.

Statistical analysis models can be complex if you want to arrive at any kind of useful result. Really, though, for a guy like Fournette, just the standard deviation of his average run is probably enough to tell us a lot about how inconsistent he is.

Do you even watch the games?  There have been numerous carries where Houdini couldn't make people miss.  I'm totally baffled at how people think he can magically make somebody miss when the opposing DL is pretty much in his face when he touches the ball.  And I would go as far as saying they far outnumber the long runs.  Guess people are going to see what they want to see whey they don't like a player.

Overdrafted, yes.  Bust, no.  Could have a better RB.  Yes.  But some people just love to blow things out of proportion with this guy.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]