Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lets talk Fournette

So before the season started, Fourmette was the biggest question mark. What Fournette would we get. Last season was a bad year all over.

Well I've got to say hes been doing everything right for me this year. Looking at stats

265 Carrie's for 1,152yds and 3 TD's. No fumbles.
76 rec on 100 targets for 522yds and 0TD.

His attitude seems so much better, hes been fighting with a poor line and a struggling O. He hadnt missed a practice all year before this week and hes played as a 3 down back all of this season. My only real worry is his speed after 30-40 yards. I think with a more solid run game base and blocking, a lot of the missed holes and stutter he had this year could be fixable.

The question now, next year is Fournettes last year, do we give him a new deal this off season? Tag him? Make him prove it again next season? Draft a replacement? How big of a deal do we offer?

Some tough questions for the hopefully new FO. But Fournette has quietly had a very good season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No tag, no option. Just let the contract run out and then see what we wanna do. No need to give RBs big money

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 11:40 PM by Caldrac.)

Make him prove it again. With hopefully more results in the redzone and less one-on-one losses with defenders.

Need to see him actually put some weight back on and play with that physical nature he displayed as a rookie.

Not a fan of tying up cap space at a position where you're getting a whole lot of production for really a whole lot of nothing in the grand scheme of things.

We saw this with Maurice Jones-Drew on a lot of bad teams. We saw this with Fred Taylor on a lot of bad teams. It's just classic Jaguars football acting as it always has.

Run, run, run your backs heavily down the stream.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily the Jaguars are never a winning team.

That's been Jacksonville since the year 2000 and they've had only three whopping play off runs to show for all that, well, running. . .

Literally. Quite LITERALLY. . . Hard pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I would pick up the 5th year option and then let him walk after that.

(12-27-2019, 11:40 PM)Newton Wrote: I would pick up the 5th year option and then let him walk after that.

Why use the option would you could just pay him less or sign a comparable back for cheaper

Let it play out then find someone else.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 11:44 PM by Upper.)

I'll start with the good, he appears to have taken a step forward as a human being and he has become a legitimately good blocker and at least a serviceable pass catcher.

That said, there are 27 RBs with 150 touches. Fournette is 18th in yards per carry and 20th in yards per reception. He is still an inefficient compiler at RB who is a square peg in the round hole that is the modern NFL.

We aren't winning anything of significance again while he is the centerpiece of the offense, thus we should not pay him as such. Let some other stupid team do that.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 11:53 PM by JagFan81.)

(12-27-2019, 11:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Make him prove it again. With hopefully more results in the redzone and less one-on-one losses with defenders.

Need to see him actually put some weight back on and play with that physical nature he displayed as a rookie.

Not a fan of tying up cap space at a position where you're getting a whole lot of production for really a whole lot of nothing in the grand scheme of things.

We saw this with Maurice Jones-Drew on a lot of bad teams. We saw this with Fred Taylor on a lot of bad teams. It's just classic Jaguars football acting as it always has.

Run, run, run your backs heavily down the stream.

Merrily, merrily, merrily the Jaguars are never a winning team.

That's been Jacksonville since the year 2000 and they've had only three whopping play off runs to show for all that, well, running. . .

Literally. Quite LITERALLY. . . Hard pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We definitely follow the run the football mantra more than most. The RB position is becoming really important again but its changing like everything else. It's not just running the ball through your blocks, its screens, catching and speed is so important now. You can get RB's lined up on LB's and DE's and good OC's take advantage of mismatches like that all day.

I get Fournette fits that older style more, look at players like Kamara and McCaffrey. Very different. Players like Fournette are what you want late December and in January but you've got to get there first. I think hes stuck between bulking up and trying to gain speed. Move too far either way and it hurts the other.

I think it will come down to what hes asking. If he wants Bell/Gurley money then hes most likely gone but i dont know who would pay him that. I'd like us to try and add someone who can compliment him, maybe a speed RB to oine up with both in shotgun and maybe bringing back a FB for him.

(12-27-2019, 11:43 PM)Upper Wrote: I'll start with the good, he appears to have taken a step forward as a human being and he has become a legitimately good blocker and at least a serviceable pass catcher.

That said, there are 27 RBs with 150 touches. Fournette is 18th in yards per carry and 20th in yards per reception. He is still an inefficient compiler at RB who is a square peg in the round hole that is the modern NFL.

We aren't winning anything of significance again while he is the centerpiece of the offense, thus we should not pay him as such. Let some other stupid team do that.

And this is my problem. I've been complaining about the lack of rushing TD's all year. Hes had 3 which is what some get in a game. To have over 1100yds rushing but 3 TD's? How do you do that?

Now how much is that on the Oline and the O in general? Theyve all stunk this year. I'm not saying I'm 100% locked on Fournette but I do think he deserves some credit for how hes been this season.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 12:00 AM by Eric1.)

(12-27-2019, 11:43 PM)Upper Wrote: I'll start with the good, he appears to have taken a step forward as a human being and he has become a legitimately good blocker and at least a serviceable pass catcher.

Kinda of half told stats isn't it? And this is coming from somebody who isn't the biggest Fournette fan (I hated the pick and still do). Hes been solid this season, but there's no need to pay him or anything like that. Let his contract run out and go from there..

But back to the numbers. 150 touches is just slightly over 9 touches a game (if you figure 16 games into the mix, 10 touches over 15games).. Kind of skewed numbers in the big picture of things, considering Fournette has 341 touches throughout 15 games so far..

What does that number look like vs RBs with say 200 touches, 250 touches, or 300 touches? That'd give a much better look, in the big picture of things...

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 12:04 AM by Upper.)

(12-27-2019, 11:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: What does that number look like vs RBs with say 200 touches, 250 touches, or 300 touches? That'd give a much better look, in the big picture of things...

I don't have the time to math it all right now, but I can easily see that there are 19 RBs with 200 carries, and he is 14th out of 19. 8 that have 250 and he is next to last. I can throw in the bonus stat too, he is last in TDs among both sets too.

He struggles to run from shotgun, but was able to hit a few big gains to make up most of his yards. When they have tried to force feed him the last few weeks, the offense sucks until they finally say screw it and let Minshew do his thing.

If they keep him, they have to get a fullback. If they do that, they better use a TE over the middle, passing to the flats, and heavy DEEP THREATS.

I'd rather move on and find a quick RB who has lateral quickness and vision.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 12:43 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-27-2019, 11:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So before the season started, Fourmette was the biggest question mark. What Fournette would we get. Last season was a bad year all over.

Well I've got to say hes been doing everything right for me this year. Looking at stats

His attitude seems so much better, hes been fighting with a poor line and a struggling O. He hadnt missed a practice all year before this week and hes played as a 3 down back all of this season. My only real worry is his speed after 30-40 yards. I think with a more solid run game base and blocking, a lot of the missed holes and stutter he had this year could be fixable.

The question now, next year is Fournettes last year, do we give him a new deal this off season? Tag him? Make him prove it again next season? Draft a replacement? How big of a deal do we offer?

Some tough questions for the hopefully new FO. But Fournette has quietly had a very good season.

I pick up his option and go from there. I see how he does in 2020 and if I like what I see behind an improved O-Line (hopefully,) I work on a new deal during the 2020 season. Unless he wants something outrageous like what Melvin Gordon wants, I re-sign him, but I'm not going to give him anything like Ezekiel Elliott, Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell or David Johnson type money. The Rams, Jets and Cards got burned by paying out that type of cash to their RB's. I would like to add a speedy 3rd down back with good hands who can be sent in on screen plays, as this just isn't Fournette's best skill set. He's getting better catching the ball, but he lacks the burst after the reception that guys like Corey Grant used to exhibit. We need a guy like that to compliment Fournette, but I don't know if I'd use a draft pick on one. I bet there will be plenty of those types of RB's available as UDFA's. If Fournette refuses the offer we make, I let him walk via free agency and use a 2021 draft pick to replace him. The shelf life on starting NFL RB's is not that long and giving a RB a big contract can really bite you in the butt. It's just my own philosophy that I'd never give a RB a huge contract. Some people agree with me, some people don't. I just think this team has wasted enough cap space by giving big money to players who haven't lived up to their deals.

(12-28-2019, 12:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 11:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So before the season started, Fourmette was the biggest question mark. What Fournette would we get. Last season was a bad year all over.

I pick up his option and go from there. I see how he does in 2020 and if I like what I see behind an improved O-Line (hopefully,) I work on a new deal during the 2020 season. Unless he wants something outrageous like what Melvin Gordon wants, I re-sign him, but I'm not going to give him anything like Ezekiel Elliott, Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell or David Johnson type money. The Rams, Jets and Cards got burned by paying out that type of cash to their RB's. I would like to add a speedy 3rd down back with good hands who can be sent in on screen plays, as this just isn't Fournette's best skill set. He's getting better catching the ball, but he lacks the burst after the reception that guys like Corey Grant used to exhibit. We need a guy like that to compliment Fournette, but I don't know if I'd use a draft pick on one. I bet there will be plenty of those types of RB's available as UDFA's. If Fournette refuses the offer we make, I let him walk via free agency and use a 2021 draft pick to replace him. The shelf life on starting NFL RB's is not that long and giving a RB a big contract can really bite you in the butt. It's just my own philosophy that I'd never give a RB a huge contract. Some people agree with me, some people don't. I just think this team has wasted enough cap space by giving big money to players who haven't lived up to their deals.

I agree that the money will be the big factor. He isn't worth the Bell/Gurley range, but if we could find somewhere in the $5m-$7m per year range. Any moves we make coaching will have a big impact. Does Fournette fit their system? 

I think this is part of the problem of making him a 3 down back for every drive, he needs to be everything. A pounding runner but speedy, run between the tackles but catch out the backfield. It seems a lot better to have a group that you can work with. Look at the Niners with Shanahan, an O genius. They have Breida, Coleman, Mostert and Wilson. Its options, its  choices. 

I can't see anyone offering a great trade offer but hes certainly improved in a number of areas. I'd like to see what a more creative O coach would do with him but theres a good chance they wouldn't.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 12:59 AM by JackCity.)

Remember short yardage uses brings down yards per carry and he's used on short yardage more than any back in that group. Also ypc isn't a good stat to measure RB performance.

(12-28-2019, 12:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Spacing is a real thing... Use it...

He got better this year, but he no longer runs with that aggression he did as a rookie. This offensive line does him no help at all, so to be honest it’s impressive he is over 4 yards a carry.

The one thing for me is, he still has no move. He used to show a spin move his rookie year but ever since his ankle injuries he stopped. Out in the open field he just runs into defenders. That’s the sticking red flag to me. Guess he gets next year to create one, but if he doesn’t he is a hard pass IMO as whether or not to resign.

I think we should pick up the fifth year option and let things play out from there. His yards per carry are suppressed by some pretty bad run blocking. I look at other offenses and I see big holes for RBs to run through. He doesn't have that. Also, look at Carlos Hyde. Ineffective for us, then he goes to the Texans and gets over 1,000 rushing yards this year. So, let's leave Fournette in there, and work on improving the offensive line. He's a good back, and there's no need for us to churn the roster, jettisoning good players.

(12-28-2019, 12:59 AM)JackCity Wrote:

Remember short yardage uses brings down yards per carry and he's used on short yardage more than any back in that group. Also ypc isn't a good stat to measure RB performance.

Is there evidence of the former?

And YPC isn't perfect no, but our eyes show us plenty too. There are still multiple times a game where there is a gaping hole and LF just misses it, or he gets to the outside and it's him one on one vs a DB and he goes down feebly. Then we have to go back to how the rest of the offense has to sacrifice in order for square peg Fournette to have the offense catered to him. He doesn't come across as better than average no matter how you slice it to me.

(12-27-2019, 11:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 11:40 PM)Newton Wrote: I would pick up the 5th year option and then let him walk after that.

Why use the option would you could just pay him less or sign a comparable back for cheaper

I would do it because he is a great back, but I don’t think his style will last well through a second contract.

(12-28-2019, 09:11 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 12:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: Remember short yardage uses brings down yards per carry and he's used on short yardage more than any back in that group. Also ypc isn't a good stat to measure RB performance.

Is there evidence of the former?

And YPC isn't perfect no, but our eyes show us plenty too. There are still multiple times a game where there is a gaping hole and LF just misses it, or he gets to the outside and it's him one on one vs a DB and he goes down feebly. Then we have to go back to how the rest of the offense has to sacrifice in order for square peg Fournette to have the offense catered to him. He doesn't come across as better than average no matter how you slice it to me.

Yeah it doesn't stabilize until thousands of carries.   

Fournette gets less yards of push with his line than most RBs this year too, which also directly effects what YPC would look like. Team who give up a lot of penetration and don't get yards before contact always are way down the charts of ypc too.  

I don't think he's anymore than average/slightly above average, just using YPC as evidence for that doesn't really hold water give how key the offensive line is in it.