Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Default Training Camp Thread 2020

(08-25-2020, 08:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote: I can't wait for Henderson to silence the blatant disrespect he gets from some posters.
A "reach at 9" is laughable. Considering he was considered the 2nd best CB by most draftniks and talking heads and even rumored to be the best CB by some scouts and draft rooms.

How 9 is a reach for a stud CB that will develop into a shutdown corner is beyond me.
But you and OLine keep banging that drum lol

I will, because I still HATE the pick. There was simply no way, he was a top 10 player. Even if he was the 2nd best CB, (which I don't believe he was,) the drop off from from Okudah to Henderson was massive. We had multiple needs on this team. We didn't need to reach for a CB. We could've taken an O-Lineman, D-Lineman, WR, LB or Safety. Mark my words, we will draft a LT in the first round of 2021, as long as we don't package our picks to trade up for a QB. Hopefully it will be with the first of our opening round picks, which would signal that Gardner Minshew is indeed, our QB of the future. If not, the second of our first round picks should fill the slot. I'm rooting for Penei Sewell of Oregon or Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame.

Okudah is the best CB prospect since Ramsey, he was a top 3 lock since midseason ... of course there's going to be a dropoff. With the departure of Ramsey and Bouye, was CB not a need on this team?!? I'm fine with drafting a LT next year if Cam Robinson doesn't perform this year. I would've been ok with an OT at #9 since I think the Oline as a whole needs a boost, but Henderson is absolutely a top 10 prospect, what cornerbacks did you think were better than him?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2020, 09:42 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 08:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I will, because I still HATE the pick. There was simply no way, he was a top 10 player. Even if he was the 2nd best CB, (which I don't believe he was,) the drop off from from Okudah to Henderson was massive. We had multiple needs on this team. We didn't need to reach for a CB. We could've taken an O-Lineman, D-Lineman, WR, LB or Safety. Mark my words, we will draft a LT in the first round of 2021, as long as we don't package our picks to trade up for a QB. Hopefully it will be with the first of our opening round picks, which would signal that Gardner Minshew is indeed, our QB of the future. If not, the second of our first round picks should fill the slot. I'm rooting for Penei Sewell of Oregon or Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame.

Okudah is the best CB prospect since Ramsey, he was a top 3 lock since midseason ... of course there's going to be a dropoff. With the departure of Ramsey and Bouye, was CB not a need on this team?!? I'm fine with drafting a LT next year if Cam Robinson doesn't perform this year. I would've been ok with an OT at #9 since I think the Oline as a whole needs a boost, but Henderson is absolutely a top 10 prospect, what cornerbacks did you think were better than him?

It's really a pointless discussion at the end of the day. There was a bunch of needs this team needed to fill and you simply can't fill them all in one draft.

If they went OL, or WR, or whatever else at #9, there would be people complaining about not taking a CB high enough because it was such a massive need as well. It's a catch-22 no matter how you wanna look at it.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 11:25 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-24-2020, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote: I can't wait for Henderson to silence the blatant disrespect he gets from some posters.
A "reach at 9" is laughable. Considering he was considered the 2nd best CB by most draftniks and talking heads and even rumored to be the best CB by some scouts and draft rooms.

How 9 is a reach for a stud CB that will develop into a shutdown corner is beyond me.

I will, because I still HATE the pick. There was simply no way, he was a top 10 player. Even if he was the 2nd best CB, (which I don't believe he was,) the drop off from from Okudah to Henderson was massive. We had multiple needs on this team. We didn't need to reach for a CB. We could've taken an O-Lineman, D-Lineman, WR, LB or Safety. Mark my words, we will draft a LT in the first round of 2021, as long as we don't package our picks to trade up for a QB. Hopefully it will be with the first of our opening round picks, which would signal that Gardner Minshew is indeed, our QB of the future. If not, the second of our first round picks should fill the slot. I'm rooting for Penei Sewell of Oregon or Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame.

From the perspective of being a premium position, Henderson's positional importance is justified by a #9 overall pick.  I saw some good and bad in his play.  His coverage of Jamar Chase was impressive enough, especially when contrasted with AJ Terrell's NON performance against Chase.  But I worry about his ability to cover bigger more physical receivers.  While admittedly some players simply match up well against other players for some reason, and Cole has had spells of very good play, it's troubling to see Cole (who also beat CJH deep during the scrimmage IIRC) have his way with Henderson. I found myself disappointed with the pick in the immediate aftermath, in large part because I wanted to give Minshew help to make the determination to see if he is finally the answer at QB and there were players at LT and WR who were worthy of the #9 pick.  It's too bad I really can't watch either of those Ts you mention in action this year.  It is my deepest hope that I am wrong and that CJH was worthy of the #9 pick.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 05:57 AM by The Real Marty.)

Anybody reading this stuff?   This is a pretty good, detailed report.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jagu...ct-tuesday

Incidentally, here is a snippet on Henderson: 

"CJ Henderson had a better practice than he had on Monday. He was smoother in coverage and was reacting to things a good bit quicker, not allowing any major completions in coverage."

And apparently, also from that report, Davon Hamilton is looking pretty good. 

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 06:43 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-25-2020, 09:42 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 08:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I will, because I still HATE the pick. There was simply no way, he was a top 10 player. Even if he was the 2nd best CB, (which I don't believe he was,) the drop off from from Okudah to Henderson was massive. We had multiple needs on this team. We didn't need to reach for a CB. We could've taken an O-Lineman, D-Lineman, WR, LB or Safety. Mark my words, we will draft a LT in the first round of 2021, as long as we don't package our picks to trade up for a QB. Hopefully it will be with the first of our opening round picks, which would signal that Gardner Minshew is indeed, our QB of the future. If not, the second of our first round picks should fill the slot. I'm rooting for Penei Sewell of Oregon or Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame.

I agree Okudah was the best CB prospect since Ramsey, (I had him rated the #2 overall prospect behind Burrow and I believe Okudah will ultimately prove to be better than Ramsey.)  As a whole though, this was a weak CB class. I probably wouldn't have taken one in the first round. Yes, CB was a big need, but I don't believe in drafting for need. I take the best overall player on the board, at a position of need and we had plenty of needs. We had guys like Wirfs, Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs and even Kinlaw available that would've been justified as the #9 overall selection. Personally, I was teetering between Wirfs and Jeudy. I would've EASILY taken either one of those guys and been elated. At worst, Wirfs would've been a huge upgrade at the RG position and at best, he had a possibility to be an upgrade at LT. With Jeudy, he would've been the perfect compliment to D.J. Chark. Jeudy has great hands and was one of the best route runners I had seen in years. he could've been the "thunder" to Chark's "lightning." 

As for what to do at CB, we aren't competing for the playoffs this year. We are far from it. We're not gonna be very good, especially on defense. All I am hoping for this year is to see if Minshew can be a franchise QB. If he can, that is a huge relief, because I don't wanna have to use both first round picks to try and trade up to get Trevor Lawrence. With the college football season playing out like it will with half the teams not playing, he's the ONLY QB I would be comfortable taking in round 1. I'd much rather use those first rounders to fill other needs like LT, TE, Safety, CB or adding a pass rushing DT to pair with Hamilton at NT. That all depends on Minshew's success though. If he doesn't pan out, both of those first rounders need to be dealt to trade up and get him. 

Can someone explain to me how Henderson is justified as a top 10 pick when he was universally viewed as a one dimensional CB who could cover, but was a terrible tackler? IMO, top 10 selections are elite players with very little flaws in their game. That's not Henderson. He offers little to nothing when it comes to tackling, so he HAS to make that leap as a strong cover guy in the NFL, in order to not be considered a bust. That's just way too risky IMO. Personally, I saw CB's like Jeff Gladney, Kristian Fulton, Jaylon Johnson (who I was especially high on,) and Michael Ojemudia go later in the draft and I had them rated higher than Henderson, so there were options for the position that didn't require us to reach. Caldwell used his first two picks on players with great athleticism and potential, but not enough college production. He went all in, believing his coaching staff can improve these guys enough to overcome major flaws they showed in college. He's either gonna be viewed as a genius or the guy who's draft busts set us back yet again.

(08-25-2020, 10:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 09:42 PM)Firesky Wrote: Okudah is the best CB prospect since Ramsey, he was a top 3 lock since midseason ... of course there's going to be a dropoff. With the departure of Ramsey and Bouye, was CB not a need on this team?!? I'm fine with drafting a LT next year if Cam Robinson doesn't perform this year. I would've been ok with an OT at #9 since I think the Oline as a whole needs a boost, but Henderson is absolutely a top 10 prospect, what cornerbacks did you think were better than him?

It's really a pointless discussion at the end of the day. There was a bunch of needs this team needed to fill and you simply can't fill them all in one draft.

If they went OL, or WR, or whatever else at #9, there would be people complaining about not taking a CB high enough because it was such a massive need as well. It's a catch-22 no matter how you wanna look at it.

Agreed. That is why I hated reaching on a CB. Massive need or not at CB, you should always take the BAP. In any case, we are stuck with the guys we selected, so this whole discussion is a moot point.

It extra sucks because next year's CB class sounds absolutely loaded. We could have just taken our lumps in the secondary this year (which we're going to do anyway), drafted BAP with Wills or Wirfs, put ourselves in position to get Lawrence/Fields/Lance, and gotten a corner that is probably better than Henderson with the second 1st rounder next year.

But I do agree it's not worth looking in hindsight at this point so I'll stop.

Let’s see how the season goes before we judge.

From reports, he had a good day on Tuesday, so maybe Monday was an aberration. After all, out sick for a week, first day back, of course he might be a little off.

"CJ Henderson had a better practice than he had on Monday. He was smoother in coverage and was reacting to things a good bit quicker, not allowing any major completions in coverage."

(08-26-2020, 11:29 AM)Upper Wrote: It extra sucks because next year's CB class sounds absolutely loaded. We could have just taken our lumps in the secondary this year (which we're going to do anyway), drafted BAP with Wills or Wirfs, put ourselves in position to get Lawrence/Fields/Lance, and gotten a corner that is probably better than Henderson with the second 1st rounder next year.

Nothing prevents the Jags from drafting CB again, maybe in second round. It's not like Tre Herndon is a core player, and Hayden will probably be allowed to walk. Maybe CB #2 will be drafted and Herndon moves to slot. Or the smallish CB drafted this year takes over slot.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 12:43 PM by Kane.)

K.

Personally I think Henderson ends up having a really good rookie campaign and in year 2 will be one of the better CBs in the league.

Time will tell.

(08-26-2020, 12:04 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 11:29 AM)Upper Wrote: It extra sucks because next year's CB class sounds absolutely loaded. We could have just taken our lumps in the secondary this year (which we're going to do anyway), drafted BAP with Wills or Wirfs, put ourselves in position to get Lawrence/Fields/Lance, and gotten a corner that is probably better than Henderson with the second 1st rounder next year.

Nothing prevents the Jags from drafting CB again, maybe in second round. It's not like Tre Herndon is a core player, and Hayden will probably be allowed to walk. Maybe CB #2 will be drafted and Herndon moves to slot. Or the smallish CB drafted this year takes over slot.

Indeed.
You don't draft in 2020 thinking about what may or may not be available or the perceived strength of the next years class at a particular position.
You draft the guys in the current draft for the current roster.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 12:47 PM by The Real Marty.)

Guys, there's nothing wrong with CJ Henderson.  

There's a reason they call it PRACTICE.  PRACTICE.  No rookie is going to just roll out of bed and shut down every WR he faces from day one.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 01:46 PM by mal234.)

Hopefully CJ will continue to learn and improve.

And on the bright side at least the Jags aren't getting these types of reports out of their training camp. Reports from the Jets scrimmage today:

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/stat...5534948355

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status...0267850755

Maybe the Jets are having a rough day as well and things will improve for them. But hey at least we are getting these type of reports for the Jags.so.far lol.

(08-26-2020, 01:43 PM)mal234 Wrote: Hopefully CJ will continue to learn and improve.

And on the bright side at least the Jags aren't getting these types of reports out of their training camp. Reports from the Jets scrimmage today:

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/stat...5534948355

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status...0267850755

Maybe the Jets are having a rough day as well and things will improve for them. But hey at least we are getting these type of reports for the Jags.so.far lol.

Sounds like Trevor Lawrence will be a Jet
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM by mal234.)

Here is a video of Josh Allen in practice during camp. Love seeing Josh in action. Love his speed/effort and he has a great personality. I also like seeing him give advice to the other players:

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1298761085839904769

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 11:08 PM by Firesky.)

(08-25-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

From the perspective of being a premium position, Henderson's positional importance is justified by a #9 overall pick.  I saw some good and bad in his play.  His coverage of Jamar Chase was impressive enough, especially when contrasted with AJ Terrell's NON performance against Chase.  But I worry about his ability to cover bigger more physical receivers.  While admittedly some players simply match up well against other players for some reason, and Cole has had spells of very good play, it's troubling to see Cole (who also beat CJH deep during the scrimmage IIRC) have his way with Henderson. I found myself disappointed with the pick in the immediate aftermath, in large part because I wanted to give Minshew help to make the determination to see if he is finally the answer at QB and there were players at LT and WR who were worthy of the #9 pick.  It's too bad I really can't watch either of those Ts you mention in action this year.  It is my deepest hope that I am wrong and that CJH was worthy of the #9 pick.

Learning how to be physical can be taught; if you remember even Ramsey struggled against the bigger more physical receivers his rookie year (Alshon Jeffrey in the first half of the Bears game abused him; but he made adjustments and had a game sealing play) it wasn't until Ramsey's 2nd year that he was more of a complete player and could cover receivers of all types.

The drill where Henderson got beat (1 on 1 offball with no passrush) is heavily skewed/favored for the offense. The same drill in TC back in 2017 Allen Robinson beat Ramsey a few times, but idt anyone thinks that factoring in a pass rush, press coverage being allowed, and the existence of safeties in an actual game that Robinson would consistently beat Ramsey or that Cole would consistently beat Henderson.

To OlineMatters point about his tackling, CB is the one position on defense that being a stellar tackler isn't a necessity, Rashean Mathis was a below average tackler all things considered but was a truly fantastic corner for us for a decade. Tackling can be taught, and I would venture to guess that a lot of surefire 1st round picks on teams without NC aspirations aren't all that zealous about throwing themselves into the fray knowing an injury could cost them draft spots and a significant amount of $$$. I agree that his tackling isn't amazing but it's the one "wart" in his game that's entirely teachable. I think the backend of the top 10 was a perfect spot to take him.

I think we'll be pleased with Henderson's development by the end of the year. When I look at him I see a young Rashean Mathis and i'll take that every time, looking forward to him covering TY Hilton week 1
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 11:14 PM by Newton.)

Yeah, Henderson has ridiculous college stats. Let’s just see how he does, but I am not going to write him off after one day back from a major illness. I think his potential to be a shutdown corner is there. I would not expect it from day 1, but I think he will make plays.

(08-26-2020, 11:05 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: From the perspective of being a premium position, Henderson's positional importance is justified by a #9 overall pick.  I saw some good and bad in his play.  His coverage of Jamar Chase was impressive enough, especially when contrasted with AJ Terrell's NON performance against Chase.  But I worry about his ability to cover bigger more physical receivers.  While admittedly some players simply match up well against other players for some reason, and Cole has had spells of very good play, it's troubling to see Cole (who also beat CJH deep during the scrimmage IIRC) have his way with Henderson. I found myself disappointed with the pick in the immediate aftermath, in large part because I wanted to give Minshew help to make the determination to see if he is finally the answer at QB and there were players at LT and WR who were worthy of the #9 pick.  It's too bad I really can't watch either of those Ts you mention in action this year.  It is my deepest hope that I am wrong and that CJH was worthy of the #9 pick.

Learning how to be physical can be taught; if you remember even Ramsey struggled against the bigger more physical receivers his rookie year (Alshon Jeffrey in the first half of the Bears game abused him; but he made adjustments and had a game sealing play) it wasn't until Ramsey's 2nd year that he was more of a complete player and could cover receivers of all types.

The drill where Henderson got beat (1 on 1 offball with no passrush) is heavily skewed/favored for the offense. The same drill in TC back in 2017 Allen Robinson beat Ramsey a few times, but idt anyone thinks that factoring in a pass rush, press coverage being allowed, and the existence of safeties in an actual game that Robinson would consistently beat Ramsey or that Cole would consistently beat Henderson.

To OlineMatters point about his tackling, CB is the one position on defense that being a stellar tackler isn't a necessity, Rashean Mathis was a below average tackler all things considered but was a truly fantastic corner for us for a decade. Tackling can be taught, and I would venture to guess that a lot of surefire 1st round picks on teams without NC aspirations aren't all that zealous about throwing themselves into the fray knowing an injury could cost them draft spots and a significant amount of $$$. I agree that his tackling isn't amazing but it's the one "wart" in his game that's entirely teachable. I think the backend of the top 10 was a perfect spot to take him.

I think we'll be pleased with Henderson's development by the end of the year. When I look at him I see a young Rashean Mathis and i'll take that every time, looking forward to him covering TY Hilton week 1

Rashean Mathis was at least a willing tackler though. Henderson seems to try and shy away from contact in the games I saw. As far as teaching tackling, yes, it can be taught, but look at our 2019 team. As a team, our tackling was atrocious! It was by far, our weakest area. We had missed tackles, right and left in every game. It was ridiculous! Do you trust our current coaching staff to improve this kid's tackling? I certainly don't. By the looks of what I saw from our team last season, I don't even know if they teach the basics of tackling. Maybe if we get some competent coaching, Henderson can improve his tackling. At least I hope he can, but we'll have to wait until at least 2021 to see if that is the case.

Yeah I wouldn't have taken Henderson but in terms of value if he hits + actually having the upside to hit in that way, it wasn't a 'bad' pick.

Wirfs has that similar value but I'm way more sure he hits than Henderson. And missing on a top 10 pick can be devastating.

I do think 90% of teams had Henderson either 1 or 2 though

I think his tackling is a bit overblown and something good coaching he can improve in that area

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 10:27 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

We really don't need any more practice prior to game 1.  We're good to go !!!