Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Meyer falling apart already?

(09-14-2021, 08:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:15 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm taking some solace from the fact that it's not unusual for a new staff with a new QB on a previously crappy team to start slowly. In some cases it can take an entire season. But we need to start seeing *something* to signal it's getting turned around.

Simple improvement to start: less drops, more James Robinson, better pass coverage, stronger pocket, valuable acquisitions. 

Steady improvement is good enough for me. It was obvious this was going to be a losing season and the baseline has been set with the first game. Start moving up.
Again. I don’t think anyone was thinking playoffs but this was against the Texans. That’s my biggest hold up right now.

If you can’t get off on the right track against that dumpster fire (or maybe the Jags are now), then what are they even doing? All those coaches they brought in and the offense can’t even sub correctly or line up correctly?

Culley had no issue maximizing the talent he had (which was less than the Jags) but the Jags fall flat on their face.

I really hope it gets turned around.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-14-2021, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Simple improvement to start: less drops, more James Robinson, better pass coverage, stronger pocket, valuable acquisitions. 

Steady improvement is good enough for me. It was obvious this was going to be a losing season and the baseline has been set with the first game. Start moving up.
Again. I don’t think anyone was thinking playoffs but this was against the Texans. That’s my biggest hold up right now.

If you can’t get off on the right track against that dumpster fire (or maybe the Jags are now), then what are they even doing? All those coaches they brought in and the offense can’t even sub correctly or line up correctly?

Culley had no issue maximizing the talent he had (which was less than the Jags) but the Jags fall flat on their face.

It's a mystery to me why we were rated above Houston. In my eye, there was nothing on our roster and our coaching staff that told me we would be nothing but firmly in 32nd place. Too many people bought into the Trevor/Urban hype.

(09-14-2021, 01:06 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 12:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dude sounds like he’s pushing an agenda.

You need to look at his timeline when Urban was rumored and then hired. Also listen to the Bold Take podcast around the same time, especially the Denny Thompson episode.

Dilla was insanely fanatical when it came to Urban and routinely blasted anyone who pointed out legitimate concerns about the hire. It's the exact opposite of how you think.

Yup, Dilla was his biggest cheerleader. He was slamming the table for him before he got hired and after. You could hear the excitement in his voice during those podcasts when they talked about him.

The fact that he says there's serious concern and that he's really worried says quite a bit. Him changing his tone this fast screams there's a lot more going on than just a little smoke, or some media fluff piece.

How Trevor was harping on how they all need to stay together, after just the very first game only helps add to the worries/concerns/discussion. There's no reason they should be having terrible staying together after just the very first game, unless things have been going on for a while now and lines have already begun being drawn.

Somebody in the comments on Dilla's tweet said that right after the coin toss on Sunday, Meyer ran up to Linder and chewed his [BLEEP] out. Exactly what did he do during a coin toss to cause Urban to cuss him out (we won the toss).. Reports before the game said that Urban becomes unhinged really easy and blows up on coaches/players when it's not needed. Would certainly make sense in whatever this Linder situation was and it would certainly cause people to get tired of him real fast.

He isn't dealing with 18 year old kids anymore. He's dealing with grown [BLEEP] adults who have their own lives, families, problems etc etc. They aren't going to put up with his crap for very long, especially if we're getting our doors blown off week after week.

(09-14-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Again. I don’t think anyone was thinking playoffs but this was against the Texans. That’s my biggest hold up right now.

It's a mystery to me why we were rated above Houston. In my eye, there was nothing on our roster and our coaching staff that told me we would be nothing but firmly in 32nd place. Too many people bought into the Trevor/Urban hype.

I saw the vast majority of posters on here saying this team would only win 5-6 games this year. That's hardly buying into any hype. It's just expecting minimal improvement, thanks in large part to taking a much better QB. Personally, I thought we'd win 5 games max, but I figured 2 of those games would be wins over Houston. On paper, the Texans have a subpar, journeyman QB, a bad O-Line other than Tunsil, average RB's, no real receiving threat other than Cooks and a pathetic defense. Getting blown out by them was a real slap in the face. This was by far, the easiest match up on the schedule. Now, I don't know where any wins will come from.

(09-14-2021, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Simple improvement to start: less drops, more James Robinson, better pass coverage, stronger pocket, valuable acquisitions. 

I hear ya. If we'd lost 21-37 to the Bucs people wouldn't be quite as upset. But even though the tinhorns were picked to be the worst team, after rewatching the game, I think people are underestimating them. I still can't get over how Taylor was playing. He may be this year's Tannehill as far as career resurgence is concerned.

But next game is the most important. I want to see more commitment to the running game and better defense in all phases.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Jaguars are declining to make Meyer available to the Broncos media.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(09-14-2021, 10:07 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Jaguars are declining to make Meyer available to the Broncos media.

Context.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/stat...03008?s=21

(09-14-2021, 10:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 10:07 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Jaguars are declining to make Meyer available to the Broncos media.

Context.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/stat...03008?s=21

Only week 2 and he's already ducking/dodging the media lolololol

He does plenty of media availability with our media

https://youtu.be/JHR0ji2Io0I
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(09-15-2021, 12:12 AM)Jag88 Wrote: He does plenty of media availability with our media

Because it's mandatory, otherwise he'd likely be hiding from them as well.

(09-15-2021, 12:13 AM)Dimson Wrote: https://youtu.be/JHR0ji2Io0I

The sooner he goes the better.

(09-15-2021, 12:13 AM)Dimson Wrote: https://youtu.be/JHR0ji2Io0I

Personally, I really hope this rumor is true.  It's been one game and I'm already tired of Urban.  Hated the hire, and everything is going just about how I expected it would.

(09-14-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Again. I don’t think anyone was thinking playoffs but this was against the Texans. That’s my biggest hold up right now.

I mean.... The Jags have the better QB, RB, WR core, Oline, Dline, linebackers and secondary. 

So it shouldn't have been a mystery.

(09-15-2021, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a mystery to me why we were rated above Houston. In my eye, there was nothing on our roster and our coaching staff that told me we would be nothing but firmly in 32nd place. Too many people bought into the Trevor/Urban hype.
I mean.... The Jags have the better QB, RB, WR core, Oline, Dline, linebackers and secondary. 

Who would've thought that the real difference was the quality of the head coach? Lol.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 09:56 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-15-2021, 08:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean.... The Jags have the better QB, RB, WR core, Oline, Dline, linebackers and secondary. 

Who would've thought that the real difference was the quality of the head coach? Lol.

The problem I have with that sentence is that Meyer has experienced NFL coordinators and position coaches working for him.  If there was something he was doing wrong, or something he was neglecting, they should have told him.  I don't believe he would ignore their advice, especially after all the times he's said he's relying on them because they have NFL experience and he doesn't.  

That's the biggest mystery about the whole game as far as I'm concerned.  How can we look so totally unprepared when we have so many experienced NFL coaches on our coaching staff?

I hope this was just one of those games- a fluke- where we went out there an laid an egg for no known reason.  We'll find out on Sunday, I guess.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 10:04 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-15-2021, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a mystery to me why we were rated above Houston. In my eye, there was nothing on our roster and our coaching staff that told me we would be nothing but firmly in 32nd place. Too many people bought into the Trevor/Urban hype.

We have better upside at every position but they have a bunch of  proven vets. A team with a bunch of proven vets at almost every position at home vs a young team with with upside, a new coach to the NFL, rookie QBs first game on the road I'm their first game, its not really a surprise.  I think that Texans team will surprise a number of teams this year

(09-15-2021, 09:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Who would've thought that the real difference was the quality of the head coach? Lol.

The problem I have with that sentence is that Meyer has experienced NFL coordinators and position coaches working for him.  If there was something he was doing wrong, or something he was neglecting, they should have told him.  I don't believe he would ignore their advice, especially after all the times he's said he's relying on them because they have NFL experience and he doesn't.  

That's the biggest mystery about the whole game as far as I'm concerned.  How can we look so totally unprepared when we have so many experienced NFL coaches on our coaching staff?

I hope this was just one of those games- a fluke- where we went out there an laid an egg for no known reason.  We'll find out on Sunday, I guess.

That's your problem right there, you can't believe anything Meyer says, especially if it's something he's saying to deflect blame to his subordinates.

(09-15-2021, 10:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean.... The Jags have the better QB, RB, WR core, Oline, Dline, linebackers and secondary. 

We have better upside at every position but they have a bunch of  proven vets. A team with a bunch of proven vets at almost every position at home vs a young team with with upside, a new coach to the NFL, rookie QBs first game on the road I'm their first game, its not really a surprise.  I think that Texans team will surprise a number of teams this year,

I don't, I think they are every bit as bad as advertised. We're just worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-15-2021, 10:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

We have better upside at every position but they have a bunch of  proven vets. A team with a bunch of proven vets at almost every position at home vs a young team with with upside, a new coach to the NFL, rookie QBs first game on the road I'm their first game, its not really a surprise.  I think that Texans team will surprise a number of teams this year,
So the Jags don't have proven vets? The entire Oline, Marvin Jones, Chark, Dline, Linebackers, Griffin, Jenkins, Hyde, Manhertz, Oshag, JRob.... The Jags were outcoached. Period.

(09-15-2021, 09:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Who would've thought that the real difference was the quality of the head coach? Lol.

I think it was a fluke game. I feel more comfortable about this game than I did about week 1.

(09-15-2021, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 10:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We have better upside at every position but they have a bunch of  proven vets. A team with a bunch of proven vets at almost every position at home vs a young team with with upside, a new coach to the NFL, rookie QBs first game on the road I'm their first game, its not really a surprise.  I think that Texans team will surprise a number of teams this year,
So the Jags don't have proven vets? The entire Oline, Marvin Jones, Chark, Dline, Linebackers, Griffin, Jenkins, Hyde, Manhertz, Oshag, JRob.... The Jags were outcoached. Period.

Hey, the Texans had cheer girls and we didn't. Case closed.