Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Rumors

I'd bring Arob back in a heartbeat

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

May well send a low ball offer for Brandon Cooks, Texans are mailing it in for 2021.

(10-27-2021, 06:13 PM)icey14 Wrote: I'd bring Arob back in a heartbeat

Pass. He's gonna want a huge contract.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2021, 07:48 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-27-2021, 10:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Shipley and Dilla have both dropped little hints that the Jags may be in the market for a WR. Maybe Cooks or Michael Thomas.

Cooks would give us the deep threat we need and shouldn't be very expensive at all picks wise with his concussion history and big contract. I would pass on Thomas. He would be very expensive both pick and contract wise, and doesn't fit the needs our WR corps need.

I loved Smoky John Brown a few years ago but if the rest of the NFL is telling us anything it's that he is pretty cooked. Take a flier on him sure, but definitely don't expect any answers.

Tim Patrick should have been the dude we went after in the preseason he was 5th on the depth chart and everyone and their brother knew he was on the block and very good. Now he's probably unattainable with the rest of the Broncos WR injuries.

Shipley suggests Denzel Mims and I would highly support taking a flier on him too.

Michael Thomas seems like a much more elite talent. I think that you always can find a place for elite talent.

(10-27-2021, 08:30 PM)Newton Wrote: Michael Thomas seems like a much more elite talent. I think that you always can find a place for elite talent.

But that place is usually the exit door from TIAA Bank.

(10-28-2021, 08:43 AM)JagSwag Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 08:30 PM)Newton Wrote: Michael Thomas seems like a much more elite talent. I think that you always can find a place for elite talent.

But that place is usually the exit door from TIAA Bank.

I'm guessing you mean the visitors locker room

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-27-2021, 07:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

We have $28m in Cap Space.  The 2nd closest team in having the most cap space is the Eagles at $21m.

(10-20-2021, 03:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-20-2021, 03:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [Image: 1427752096-shep.gif]

HAHA

Yeah, I've herd zero about any of this.

I Herd that.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(10-28-2021, 09:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 07:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Pass. He's gonna want a huge contract.

We have $28m in Cap Space.  The 2nd closest team in having the most cap space is the Eagles at $21m.

Keep in mind that in 2-3 years Trevor Lawrence is gonna want a massive deal. I wanna be prepared for that and not have to cut a bunch of good players to do it. We need to be mindful of how we spend our money now that we finally have a franchise QB.

(10-28-2021, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We have $28m in Cap Space.  The 2nd closest team in having the most cap space is the Eagles at $21m.

Keep in mind that in 2-3 years Trevor Lawrence is gonna want a massive deal. I wanna be prepared for that and not have to cut a bunch of good players to do it. We need to be mindful of how we spend our money now that we finally have a franchise QB.

I Concur.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(10-28-2021, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We have $28m in Cap Space.  The 2nd closest team in having the most cap space is the Eagles at $21m.

True, you do have to prepare for that, but realistically since Trevor signed a 4 year contract and you can always exercise the 5th year option, you don't have to really think about it until 2024 at the earliest and in 2022 the Jags are projected to have at least $70 M in cap space.  

Just have to be smart with the cap space and not waste it on older players on the decline. I'd like to see some some home runs in free agency, like a Godwin or Gesicki.

(10-28-2021, 05:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Keep in mind that in 2-3 years Trevor Lawrence is gonna want a massive deal. I wanna be prepared for that and not have to cut a bunch of good players to do it. We need to be mindful of how we spend our money now that we finally have a franchise QB.

True, you do have to prepare for that, but realistically since Trevor signed a 4 year contract and you can always exercise the 5th year option, you don't have to really think about it until 2024 at the earliest and in 2022 the Jags are projected to have at least $70 M in cap space.  

Just have to be smart with the cap space and not waste it on older players on the decline. I'd like to see some some home runs in free agency, like a Godwin or Gesicki.

If we are smart, and he is playing well, we will never let it get to a fifth year option. We should lock him up after year 3 with a second contract, that way we can get him before the next wave of big QB contracts
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 06:29 PM by Newton. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think instead of worrying about having enough cap for Lawrence, we should be focused on the fact that we have a window now when he has low cost and we should stack talent to try to win the next two years. We will find cap room for Lawrence when the time comes.

If I were Trevor, I would focus all my agent's energy on big sponsor contracts, then I would tell the Jags that I would comp them any money they spend extra on the o-line out of my next contract.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 08:13 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-28-2021, 05:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Keep in mind that in 2-3 years Trevor Lawrence is gonna want a massive deal. I wanna be prepared for that and not have to cut a bunch of good players to do it. We need to be mindful of how we spend our money now that we finally have a franchise QB.

The last thing we wanna do is tick off our franchise QB and make him wanna walk. If he continues to progress and shows to be one of the better QB's in the NFL as I expect, he's gonna want a new deal in 2-3 years. It's best to keep the QB happy. I've had enough of the disenfranchised Jags players that wanna leave. Let's try to keep this one happy. Franchise QB's don't just grow on trees.

(10-28-2021, 06:24 PM)Newton Wrote: I think instead of worrying about having enough cap for Lawrence, we should be focused on the fact that we have a window now when he has low cost and we should stack talent to try to win the next two years. We will find cap room for Lawrence when the time comes.

By cutting talented players around him, because we can no longer afford them. Great plan, dude. Is that you, Trent Baalke?

(10-27-2021, 07:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Well he has been very mediocre this year.  He doesn't have a whole lot to stand on.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 09:37 PM by Newton. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-28-2021, 08:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 05:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: True, you do have to prepare for that, but realistically since Trevor signed a 4 year contract and you can always exercise the 5th year option, you don't have to really think about it until 2024 at the earliest and in 2022 the Jags are projected to have at least $70 M in cap space.  

The last thing we wanna do is tick off our franchise QB and make him wanna walk. If he continues to progress and shows to be one of the better QB's in the NFL as I expect, he's gonna want a new deal in 2-3 years. It's best to keep the QB happy. I've had enough of the disenfranchised Jags players that wanna leave. Let's try to keep this one happy. Franchise QB's don't just grow on trees.

(10-28-2021, 06:24 PM)Newton Wrote: I think instead of worrying about having enough cap for Lawrence, we should be focused on the fact that we have a window now when he has low cost and we should stack talent to try to win the next two years. We will find cap room for Lawrence when the time comes.

By cutting talented players around him, because we can no longer afford them. Great plan, dude. Is that you, Trent Baalke?

Worked for the chiefs and sea hawks. The reality is, once you pay a quarterback huge money, you just simply have less to spend elsewhere no matter what. As long as the contracts are frontloaded to the first two years, it does not matter. In the meantime however, it gives you a chance to win.

Gotta get TL a WR1. Don't care what it takes. Scared monet don't make money.

The one shining year we had in 17 was because they opened the purse. If you want to win in the NFL you must open the purse.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 12:35 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-28-2021, 08:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [quote pid="1417642" dateline="1635458316"]
navyjagfan

[quote pid="1417647" dateline="1635459858"]
NewtonI think instead of worrying about having enough cap for Lawrence, we should be focused on the fact that we have a window now when he has low cost and we should stack talent to try to win the next two years. We will find cap room for Lawrence when the time comes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

But this could be a double edged sword.  Yes, you want to be prepared to re-sign him in 3 years.  But that won't necessarily be the only thing that makes him unhappy.  Failing to give him the tools to win will also hurt.  I don't think any guy we could realistically trade for at this point would destroy the cap to the point we couldn't re-sign TL in the future.  Besides, making the right trade might actually signal to him the team is willing to do what it takes to help him succeed.  That said, at least in terms of receiving help, I can't see the team making a move that will make that much of a difference in his early career.  Michael Thomas doesn't have the field stretching speed the team needs at wideout.  Brandin Cooks has the speed, but its troubling he's been traded so often in his career considering speed at his position is at a premium.  He doesn't have the size you'd want.  OBJ is damaged goods and hasn't been the guy he was with the Giants.

Furthermore, right now, this is a 1-5 team coming off of a 1-15 season.

How much cap room could this current group of guys really command?

Do we re-sign Chark?  Maybe...maybe not.  I don't think he commands a big money deal.

What current OLs do we re-sign such that would hinder our cap space in that time?  Maybe we keep one of the interior three.  Maybe we retain Walker Little if he develops into a T.

Maybe James Robinson gets a second deal.

But as it stands now, I don't think too many guys on offense would break the bank to keep.

Ditto with the defense.  Josh Allen is in his 3rd year and is playing okay, but is not generating the sack totals that would command a high cap figure contract in a year or two.  Would Chaisson command a high dollar figure?  Not at all, barring a wholly unforseen explosion in productivity.  I could see DaVon Hamilton maybe commanding a big payday down the road. 

At this stage, I don't see cap space as being the thing to worry about.  I fear the bigger concern is keeping enough quality talent around him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!