Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 3 talk: Houston vs Jax

(09-20-2023, 07:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 07:31 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Remember when Bortles was 2nd in TDs and yards?

He's a 2nd half, garbage time QB so far through two weeks. More than half of his passing yards have come in the 4th quarter. Really, 2/3. 

1st quarter: 9/15 for 61 yards and 1 TD
2nd quarter: 12/20 for 137 yards
3rd quarter: 15/19 for 151 yards
4th quarter: 37/56 for 425 yards and 1 TD

They don't run a ton of play action. Only see him 6/10 on those plays. He's been sacked on four of those attempts. He spends a lot of time operating out of the gun, not a ton of work under center. Again, he's a rookie, nothing surprising about that. If we lose this game at home, we suck, and they deserve it.
66% completion for 349 yards and 1 TD for the first 3 quarters in his first 2 starts isn't that bad. He hasn't thrown an interception and he has played behind a horrible Oline.

I'm not saying he is lighting the world on fire by any means but we have certainly seen rookie QBs play a lot worse.

Bryce Young for example has only thrown for 299 yards, 2 TDs and 2 interceptions on 59% completion %.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2023, 09:10 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-20-2023, 09:04 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 07:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He's a 2nd half, garbage time QB so far through two weeks. More than half of his passing yards have come in the 4th quarter. Really, 2/3. 

1st quarter: 9/15 for 61 yards and 1 TD
2nd quarter: 12/20 for 137 yards
3rd quarter: 15/19 for 151 yards
4th quarter: 37/56 for 425 yards and 1 TD

They don't run a ton of play action. Only see him 6/10 on those plays. He's been sacked on four of those attempts. He spends a lot of time operating out of the gun, not a ton of work under center. Again, he's a rookie, nothing surprising about that. If we lose this game at home, we suck, and they deserve it.
66% completion for 349 yards and 1 TD for the first 3 quarters in his first 2 starts isn't that bad. He hasn't thrown an interception and he has played behind a horrible Oline.

I'm not saying he is lighting the world on fire by any means but we have certainly seen rookie QBs play a lot worse.

Bryce Young for example has only thrown for 299 yards, 2 TDs and 2 interceptions on 59% completion %.

He's overdue for a mistake. This is the week to make it happen. I don't expect Allen to have a 3 sack game like he did in week 1 but I could see Walker getting 3 sacks in this game. I would really like to see him play inside more often than not this Sunday. They have a rookie Center who is struggling. 

Perfect way to effect Stroud is push the middle of the pocket back in his face and allow everyone else to flow to him off the edge. Should expect to see Lloyd blitzing off the edge here. Shooting the gaps with Oluokon, etc. He's been the best rookie passer through two weeks so far.

You just have to get after him and stay after him. He has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. He's been sacked 11 times this year and 10 of those sacks have been with him having the football for greater than 2.5 seconds in the pocket, again, primarily operating from the gun.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-20-2023, 09:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 09:04 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 66% completion for 349 yards and 1 TD for the first 3 quarters in his first 2 starts isn't that bad. He hasn't thrown an interception and he has played behind a horrible Oline.

He's overdue for a mistake. This is the week to make it happen. I don't expect Allen to have a 3 sack game like he did in week 1 but I could see Walker getting 3 sacks in this game. I would really like to see him play inside more often than not this Sunday. They have a rookie Center who is struggling. 

Perfect way to effect Stroud is push the middle of the pocket back in his face and allow everyone else to flow to him off the edge. Should expect to see Lloyd blitzing off the edge here. Shooting the gaps with Oluokon, etc. He's been the best rookie passer through two weeks so far.

You just have to get after him and stay after him. He has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. He's been sacked 11 times this year and 10 of those sacks have been with him having the football for greater than 2.5 seconds in the pocket, again, primarily operating from the gun.
Stroud has been pressured on 44% of his dropbacks (3rd highest pressure rate). Jags just have to keep doing that on D and they should be fine.

Few notes. Looks like Allen should be fine for this game. Zay Jones is not practicing today. He may not be available for this Sunday due to his knee injury. Sounds like Tim Jones might be placed in his role.

Sunday's loss marked the first time Zay did not register a catch in a game. That's pretty impressive. So, he went all of last year and the opening game of this year with at least 1 catch registered. Agnew also had a total of 25 snaps against the Chiefs on offense.

May have been his highest count on offense in his career with us. Interesting that they will roll with Tim Jones in Zay Jones place. Again, goes back to the Elijah Cooks question. What's the point of keeping an undrafted free agent at WR, a guy that's 6'3 or 6'4 and clearly a big target to utilize if you're not going to throw him out there? Looked like Trevor could have used a taller body in four of those seven redzone trips against the Chiefs.

Just saying.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-20-2023, 11:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Few notes. Looks like Allen should be fine for this game. Zay Jones is not practicing today. He may not be available for this Sunday due to his knee injury. Sounds like Tim Jones might be placed in his role.

Sunday's loss marked the first time Zay did not register a catch in a game. That's pretty impressive. So, he went all of last year and the opening game of this year with at least 1 catch registered. Agnew also had a total of 25 snaps against the Chiefs on offense.

May have been his highest count on offense in his career with us. Interesting that they will roll with Tim Jones in Zay Jones place. Again, goes back to the Elijah Cooks question. What's the point of keeping an undrafted free agent at WR, a guy that's 6'3 or 6'4 and clearly a big target to utilize if you're not going to throw him out there? Looked like Trevor could have used a taller body in four of those seven redzone trips against the Chiefs.

Just saying.

Plus not utilizing Bigsby, or Strange as a blocker. There were some curious decisions made for this game.

(09-20-2023, 11:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Few notes. Looks like Allen should be fine for this game. Zay Jones is not practicing today. He may not be available for this Sunday due to his knee injury. Sounds like Tim Jones might be placed in his role.

Just saying.

With regards to Cooks, I agree that that he offers us a red zone target, I wonder where he's at with the playbook and how much confidence the coaches have in him at the moment. It's a tough one as Ridley, Kirk and Zay are all red zone weapons so you don't need to take them out but it feels like the coaches are wanting to play 3WR sets but with the Oline struggling they are leaning more towards 2 TE sets to offer extra protection instead which takes a weapon out for us.

We need to find a way to give Lawrence time with just the 5 man line as we either lose a WR, have to use Engram more for blocking or keep the RB in for blocking. They are offensive weapons for us that we need to have as passing options for Lawrence.

(09-20-2023, 11:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Just saying.

Plus not utilizing Bigsby, or Strange as a blocker. There were some curious decisions made for this game.

I get the "let's limit the rookie mistakes" plan vs the chefs (to a degree,) but it's frustrating not to see Strange in protective duty more than he was. 

Regarding Bigsby, they trust D. Johnson more to protect and he showed why by beating out all of our Offensive Linemen in his PFF pass pro grade Sunday (even though it was only 6 snaps of pass pro)

So what happens when we lose to Houston this week?

They have our number. Kind of like we have the colts (at home).

They’re gonna be fired up

Just saying.

Tim jones is the truth in the (pre season though) for 2 years straight. Wouldn’t it be nice to see this guy have a breakout game?

(09-20-2023, 01:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So what happens when we lose to Houston this week?

2018 was the last time the Jags won in Indy.... Until week 1 of this year.

(09-20-2023, 01:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So what happens when we lose to Houston this week?

I don't buy into such silly statistics. 

Tinhorns are a new system this year with a rookie QB and HC

Comparing some w/L record based on home/away under prior regimes is beyond pointless.
You may as well start praying to Snowie's lucky penny and pouring rum for Jobu

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2023, 01:32 PM by Jag88.)

(09-20-2023, 01:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I don't buy into such silly statistics. 

Tinhorns are a new system this year with a rookie QB and HC

Comparing some w/L record based on home/away under prior regimes is beyond pointless.
You may as well start praying to Snowie's lucky penny and pouring rum for Jobu

As long as the jags offense is on point, everything will be alright. Jags lost in week 1 last year because of offensive problems. Very low scoring

Just saying.

Re: Zay, Tim, Elijah...
Tim was active last week. He may get more snaps due to Zays injury but I think this could be a week where Cooks will be activated, actually taking the GameDay spot vacated. It isn't a Tim Jones instead of Cooks situation.
So maybe we get a package or two in the RZ.

INJURIES

https://x.com/APMarkLong/status/17045513...39242?s=20

Mark Long
@APMarkLong
·
2m
Missing practice for Jaguars today:
WR Jay Zones (knee), RG Brandon Scherff (personal) and DT Foley Fatukasi (undisclosed injury).

LB Josh Allen (shoulder) and S Andrew Wingard (shoulder) wearing red, non-contact jerseys.

I hope whomever gets Scherff's reps today in practice shows something. 

I doubt both guards last the reg season

(09-20-2023, 01:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

At home. Our stadium. We’ve beat the colts what, 10 straight times at home?

(09-20-2023, 01:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

(09-20-2023, 04:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 01:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: 2018 was the last time the Jags won in Indy.... Until week 1 of this year.

At home. Our stadium. We’ve beat the colts what, 10 straight times at home?
I know but my point is that every string of bad losses ends at some point.

The Jags didn’t win in Indy for a long time until it happened.

Jags haven’t beaten the Texans at home in a while…. Until Sunday

When we lose???? [BLEEP] outta here with that dumb [BLEEP]. We aren't losing on Sunday LOL.

(09-20-2023, 10:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

When we lose???? [BLEEP] outta here with that dumb [BLEEP]. We aren't losing on Sunday LOL.

That’s it’s man. Game over, man game over… (in a bill Paxton voice)

We are done for now! Season over. Just playing

(09-20-2023, 01:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: INJURIES

RG Brandon Scherff (personal) 

Personal? He's [BLEEP] or what?