Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who has cut the cord?

Quote:The strange thing is that with 4g LTE the weakness is actually usually seen as the wired portion of the transmission, because that's the only portion that has a chance of being transmitted unencrypted.  

You're probably right about the forums passwords though.  So if you notice an abrupt improvement in my post quality, you know I got hacked.

LOL, that alone tells me that it's not "probably" but is pretty much "fact".  I assume that you must be an IT guy or something along those lines.  I myself have a very weak password on this forum.  Now think about how many home users and/or business users of WiFi actually use a strong password on their modem/router.  How many have bothered to change the default password?  It's probably a very low number.  If wireless technology goes broadband, how many people will protect themselves with some kind of authentication?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:LOL, that alone tells me that it's not "probably" but is pretty much "fact".  I assume that you must be an IT guy or something along those lines.  I myself have a very weak password on this forum.  Now think about how many home users and/or business users of WiFi actually use a strong password on their modem/router.  How many have bothered to change the default password?  It's probably a very low number.  If wireless technology goes broadband, how many people will protect themselves with some kind of authentication?

Yea, contrary to popular belief I'm not cool enough to have someone want steal my jaguars forum identity so ... I think I'm good. :thumbsup:

As far as being an IT guy ... close enough.  

Average Joe or Joan (who is oblivious to their security) can really only screw up the wifi part (router to devices, which they can also screw up the same with wired internet).  Everything else will be mandatory strong encrypted.  Routers/hotspots you get from the isp will likely have randomized ssid passwords printed on the router/modem.  I don't know how secure it is, but you'd think that is something they'd considered.   The router may still have a default login, probably not a good thing, but is only relevant if they have your password.  But even if they are able to log into the network, without having access to your router there's a good chance the most harm they can do is steal your internet.  Even the crappiest router password would probably be a death blow to a hacker.  They got like 3 chances to guess it.

Anyway, despite whatever security concerns, as a residential user I'm all in on wireless broadband.  I can't spend one more second being that guy whos Internet went out because an imaginary squirrel decided it tastes like corn on the cob.  In the long run, physical wires can't beat out thin air.   

I've been curious about cutting the cord. Have been for a while. Even cacelled my account about a year ago and then came right back. I figured I'd be the easiest one in the house to be able to go without tv. I even experimented with Kodi. Now, thanks to you guys I've been doing a lot more research. I even bought a better antenna for locals. Looking to get a DVR for it and thinking about roku along with a few subscriptions to Netflix/Hulu. I already am a prime member. So far, I think I'm good with sports. But I've searched the subscriptions for the shows I watch. Seems like very few I like are offered on Netflix or Hulu without waiting a year to be able to stream. Then there is the paying per view on Apple and such. I really want to cut the cord but, I'm thinking, what a pain in the [BLEEP] it would be going through so many mediums to get the content I want. Then after that, how much would I actually save? The more research I do the easier it seems to keep satellite. Sure it's a little more but it's all in one place! Don't get me wrong, I think it's sickening what the companies charge and hate paying for so many channels just so I can get NFL Network and Disney Jr. Maybe I'll just use my cool new antenna in the garage and set up a man cave and have that antenna in case of emergency. Idk.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:I've been curious about cutting the cord. Have been for a while. Even cacelled my account about a year ago and then came right back. I figured I'd be the easiest one in the house to be able to go without tv. I even experimented with Kodi. Now, thanks to you guys I've been doing a lot more research. I even bought a better antenna for locals. Looking to get a DVR for it and thinking about roku along with a few subscriptions to Netflix/Hulu. I already am a prime member. So far, I think I'm good with sports. But I've searched the subscriptions for the shows I watch. Seems like very few I like are offered on Netflix or Hulu without waiting a year to be able to stream. Then there is the paying per view on Apple and such. I really want to cut the cord but, I'm thinking, what a pain in the [BLEEP] it would be going through so many mediums to get the content I want. Then after that, how much would I actually save? The more research I do the easier it seems to keep satellite. Sure it's a little more but it's all in one place! Don't get me wrong, I think it's sickening what the companies charge and hate paying for so many channels just so I can get NFL Network and Disney Jr. Maybe I'll just use my cool new antenna in the garage and set up a man cave and have that antenna in case of emergency. Idk.

If you're already a Prime member you might want to consider Fire TV or the Fire Stick. I find the integration with Prime to be a bonus, especially Prime music. Plus, Alexa > Siri (atm).

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:If you're already a Prime member you might want to consider Fire TV or the Fire Stick. I find the integration with Prime to be a bonus, especially Prime music. Plus, Alexa > Siri (atm).
I think I'm going to buy the fire stick since it's cheaper to try out PlayStation Vue. For 35.00 I can get all the cable channels I need and then some. Seems like it is like sling but more channels available, on demand, DVR, and up to five users at once. I'll do the free trial first and see if it gets me by. Then I can go ahead and get the fire tv box so I can have a wired connection and use the stick in another room.

Has anyone else used PlayStation Vue? Almost seems too good to be true. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:I think I'm going to buy the fire stick since it's cheaper to try out PlayStation Vue. For 35.00 I can get all the cable channels I need and then some. Seems like it is like sling but more channels available, on demand, DVR, and up to five users at once. I'll do the free trial first and see if it gets me by. Then I can go ahead and get the fire tv box so I can have a wired connection and use the stick in another room.

Has anyone else used PlayStation Vue? Almost seems too good to be true. Maybe I'm missing something.

The main drawback to the Fire Stick is having to buy a separate remote to use Alexa, but that can be overcome with the tablet/phone Fire TV remote app.

- Bob Marley

Quote:I think I'm going to buy the fire stick since it's cheaper to try out PlayStation Vue. For 35.00 I can get all the cable channels I need and then some. Seems like it is like sling but more channels available, on demand, DVR, and up to five users at once. I'll do the free trial first and see if it gets me by. Then I can go ahead and get the fire tv box so I can have a wired connection and use the stick in another room.

I've heard really good things about it.

My guess is a Playstation Vue subscription is only available on Playstation right?  So the 5 users at once thing would require 5 playstations instead of just any smart TV device.  Many of the apps that you could log into directly don't recognize SlingTV as a valid log in credential and I'm guessing they wouldn't recognize a Playstation Vue login credential either so there probably isn't a way to get around the fact that you have to have a Playstation hooked up to any TV that you want to watch your subscription through.  In fact, last year when I had SlingTV, ESPN was the only channel app you could log directly into with a SlingTV subscription.  Maybe that's changed and please correct me if I'm wrong.  Sounds like a great option for someone living alone and only owning one TV though.

Quote:My guess is a Playstation Vue subscription is only available on Playstation right?  So the 5 users at once thing would require 5 playstations instead of just any smart TV device.  Many of the apps that you could log into directly don't recognize SlingTV as a valid log in credential and I'm guessing they wouldn't recognize a Playstation Vue login credential either so there probably isn't a way to get around the fact that you have to have a Playstation hooked up to any TV that you want to watch your subscription through.  In fact, last year when I had SlingTV, ESPN was the only channel app you could log directly into with a SlingTV subscription.  Maybe that's changed and please correct me if I'm wrong.  Sounds like a great option for someone living alone and only owning one TV though.
According to PlayStation website you DO NOT have to own a PS3 or PS4. As of now, you can use Amazon Fire tv instead. Supposedly Roku will have it later. You do need to set up an account with PSN with a credit card on file. You do not need a yearly subscription to PlayStation plus. The PlayStation Vue is a separate subscription you can get.

According to what I've read, the Fire tv that I will receive today should allow me to download the PlayStation Vue app, then start a free trial of the service. I already have an old PSN account so I'll use that. Like I said, it seems too good to be true. Many more channels than slingTV. DVR, 5 users at once (provided you have multiple Amazon Fire Tvs or playstations).

The fire tv comes today. I'll activate it and start the free trial (assuming I am understanding their site properly). I'll let you know if there is a snag or catch.

In the mean time, go to PlayStation Vue website and read up on it.

You can also set up an account for PSN on their website. So I think those who never had a PlayStation can still take advantage of their tv streaming. I must admit their channel lineup beats sling hands down. I think after the free trial, the base package would be all I need. If all goes well that is.

PSvue is cool but I think it requires use of your home network.

Won't work when traveling. And I do that a lot.

Still a pretty good deal till more networks offer their programming a la carte.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2016, 08:17 PM by Jags.)

Well, it's all set up and I'm now doing the free trial. I'm using the fire stick. Streaming shows just fine. If it works out I'll buy the box. As this remote is a little slow and not as responsive as the box and its remote. Plus, with the box I can have a wired connection. As far as the PlayStation Vue goes, my initial impression is it's a suitable replacement for cable/satellite. I have it going as well as dish network in another room. It is giving me live tv. One show I was ahead by 30 seconds and another show I was behind dish by about a minute. That's annoying but only if I know that it's behind. Won't be an issue if I cut the cord. Picture quality is good. Doesn't seem quite as crisp as dish does but the picture certainly isn't bad. Not a deal breaker pausing tv works but won't let me pause more than maybe 5 minutes before it resumes. Advantage dish. Gone would be the days of pausing tv and cooking dinner and coming back to a nights worth of commercial skipping. DVR seems to be acting up a bit. Won't let me back up atm. I'll have to figure that out. Way too early to give any more than that. As the week of testing goes by, I'll be able to give more details or limitations as I find them. But I have a feeling that when I look at the 100.00 a month price difference I'll be able to manage.

Side note: the show "naked and afraid", I just don't get it. Everything is blurred out of course. I'd be more apt to watch it if it were "bikinis and banana hammocks and afraid"

Seems like it's better suited for HBO the way it is now

Quote:Side note: the show "naked and afraid", I just don't get it. Everything is blurred out of course. I'd be more apt to watch it if it were "bikinis and banana hammocks and afraid"

Seems like it's better suited for HBO the way it is now

Don't expect the female form to be particularly attractive under the circumstances imposed upon those contestants.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Well, it's all set up and I'm now doing the free trial. I'm using the fire stick. Streaming shows just fine. If it works out I'll buy the box. As this remote is a little slow and not as responsive as the box and its remote. Plus, with the box I can have a wired connection. As far as the PlayStation Vue goes, my initial impression is it's a suitable replacement for cable/satellite. I have it going as well as dish network in another room. It is giving me live tv. One show I was ahead by 30 seconds and another show I was behind dish by about a minute. That's annoying but only if I know that it's behind. Won't be an issue if I cut the cord. Picture quality is good. Doesn't seem quite as crisp as dish does but the picture certainly isn't bad. Not a deal breaker pausing tv works but won't let me pause more than maybe 5 minutes before it resumes. Advantage dish. Gone would be the days of pausing tv and cooking dinner and coming back to a nights worth of commercial skipping. DVR seems to be acting up a bit. Won't let me back up atm. I'll have to figure that out. Way too early to give any more than that. As the week of testing goes by, I'll be able to give more details or limitations as I find them. But I have a feeling that when I look at the 100.00 a month price difference I'll be able to manage.

I've noticed on the Fire TV certain shows on HBO Go don't look as sharp as when viewed on HBO through DirecTV, particularly "live" shows like Real Time or Last Week Tonight. I think the resolution is the same, but it's a discernible difference I don't notice when watching movies on either HBO, Amazon or Netflix.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Well, it's all set up and I'm now doing the free trial. I'm using the fire stick. Streaming shows just fine. If it works out I'll buy the box. As this remote is a little slow and not as responsive as the box and its remote. Plus, with the box I can have a wired connection. As far as the PlayStation Vue goes, my initial impression is it's a suitable replacement for cable/satellite. I have it going as well as dish network in another room. It is giving me live tv. One show I was ahead by 30 seconds and another show I was behind dish by about a minute. That's annoying but only if I know that it's behind. Won't be an issue if I cut the cord. Picture quality is good. Doesn't seem quite as crisp as dish does but the picture certainly isn't bad. Not a deal breaker pausing tv works but won't let me pause more than maybe 5 minutes before it resumes. Advantage dish. Gone would be the days of pausing tv and cooking dinner and coming back to a nights worth of commercial skipping. DVR seems to be acting up a bit. Won't let me back up atm. I'll have to figure that out. Way too early to give any more than that. As the week of testing goes by, I'll be able to give more details or limitations as I find them. But I have a feeling that when I look at the 100.00 a month price difference I'll be able to manage.

Interesting.  I may try the free trial myself since the channels they have available for the price is kind of tempting.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

If anyone's wondering; NFL Gamepass is €180 for the whole season. That's every game, including playoffs as well as NFL Network, NFL Redzone and the offseason. 

What's that funny lookin' e?  And how many letter S on a pike is that?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:What's that funny lookin' e?  And how many letter S on a pike is that?
Google it

Quote:If anyone's wondering; NFL Gamepass is €180 for the whole season. That's every game, including playoffs as well as NFL Network, NFL Redzone and the offseason.
You can't watch live games through game pass can you? With my potentially new set up, all I'd be missing is NFL Network and their Thursday night games. Unless I can cast from Verizon's NFL mobile to my tv?? Does that deal with Verizon apply for the upcoming season?