Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who has cut the cord?

I am at the end of my rope getting gouged by DirecTV. Has anyone cut the cord? Sling TV seems like it really has a majority of the channels I watch for $20 a month plus a few add-on's. Am I missing something? The main ones I watch that I am not seeing are NFL Network, NBA TV, and Golf Channel. Are these offered with any other packages?

For those who have done it, can you give some pro's and con's of your experience?

Thanks!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If you know what you're doing you might get a VPN through Europe and watch NFL Network through NFL Gamepass. I can't, however, vouch for the legality of such a setup.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2016, 02:10 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:If you know what you're doing you might get a VPN through Europe and watch NFL Network through NFL Gamepass. I can't, however, vouch for the legality of such a setup.

Gotcha. I imagine as long as Roger has DirecTV in his back pocket for Sunday Ticket, NFL Network won't be a la carte for awhile, if ever.

We haven't had anything other than Netflix and Amazon Prime since 2013. The only thing that really sucks is not having network TV for football and we don't live close enough to the nearest stations to pick up anything on antenna and I live in NC so would only see Panthers, Redskins, and other regional teams. I had Game Pass for 2 years but it sucks not being able to see games live and we have medical bills to pay for so I had to let it go. 

I've done it and the only thing I don't like is not being able to catch things like the NBA Finals and such.

I'm not a ESPN or NFLN watcher so that doesn't really affect me.

Quote:I've done it and the only thing I don't like is not being able to catch things like the NBA Finals and such.

There aren't a la carte services for ABC?

Quote:I've done it and the only thing I don't like is not being able to catch things like the NBA Finals and such.

This is right up my alley as well. We cut 2 or 3 years ago. I miss the Stanley Cup Finals, but otherwise not much of anything else. I have HBO and MLB.tv on top of Amazon Prime and Netflix. More than enough to satisfy me and the family
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I've done some research on this. I'd love to cut the cord but I like my sports, the wife likes her movies and the kids like their children shows and movies. At one point in time I cut the cord so to speak. I got a VPN and a box with Kodi app on it. From there, you can program that app to watch whatever your little heart desires. When I say "whatever your little heart desires", I mean you can watch live sporting events, all the premium stuff, all the cable/satellite channels, all the channels that are out there in the World! Not just US stuff. If it's broadcasted you can watch it. Supposedly, when they fine/arrest people for pirating, they arrest those who distribute, not so much watch. Hence why I went the VPN route. That being said, I resumed my satellite subscription. With the acces I had to every channel imaginable it just seemed way too shady for my liking. Not to mention there was a lot of adult content. Yes I can keep tabs of my kids and make sure they don't watch it, but my bigger fear was what sort of adult content would be available. Obviously this route isn't legal. But, I sure as hell didn't want to have acces to the adult stuff that could possibly have children involved. Whether it did or not, IDK. But I sure as hell wasn't going to find out. So in other words, I was either, too scared to continue or too smart to continue with or without the VPN. If you or others go, or have gone this route, I'd like the feedback on your experiences.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2016, 06:44 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

All good options. Thinking about seeing if DTV will call my bluff on leaving and give one of their "discounts". Been a customer for 15 years, but not sure if AT&T really cares since the acquisition.

Not being able to watch TNF or Golf Channel is really a deal breaker for me unfortunately at this point.

Just fed up with the fees. Receiver fee, dvr fee, hd fee, protection plan fee, regional sports fee......it is getting out of hand.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2016, 07:18 PM by HolsterHusto.)

Wish there was a service where you could basically pick what channels you wanted. Hate buying a package of 120 channels when I only care about 10-15 of them.

That Sling TV looks interesting. At the moment I have an antenna for basic channels along with Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Go.

Quote:Wish there was a service where you could basically pick what channels you wanted. Hate buying a package of 120 channels when I only care about 10-15 of them.

I too wish this is how it worked. I'd have maybe 15-25 channels and that probably on the high side. Something tells me if it did work that way, the providers will still find some way to charge 100+ a month for it.

Quote:All good options. Thinking about seeing if DTV will call my bluff on leaving and give one of their "discounts". Been a customer for 15 years, but not sure if AT&T really cares since the acquisition.

Not being able to watch TNF or Golf Channel is really a deal breaker for me unfortunately at this point.

Just fed up with the fees. Receiver fee, dvr fee, hd fee, protection plan fee, regional sports fee......it is getting out of hand.

Call customer retention and tell them you're done. Then watch the magic happen. We actually got that advice from a DirecTV service rep we had out for an equipment problem. He suggested doing this and after being with DTV for 15 years, we finally got a real break.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If you are going to be a pirate you should learn about proxies.. or at least google how to set up your torrent client with proxies.

had the cord cut but my roomate went and got cable so now i'm less illegal in my everyday life.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:Call customer retention and tell them you're done. Then watch the magic happen. We actually got that advice from a DirecTV service rep we had out for an equipment problem. He suggested doing this and after being with DTV for 15 years, we finally got a real break.

I hear many stories like this. Any time I tried this to get a discount, I've done everything from super angry to very polite and professional and they tell me they can cancel it. Yet, anytime I truly want to discontinue is when they want to retain me!!!! Ugh!

Quote:If you are going to be a pirate you should learn about proxies.. or at least google how to set up your torrent client with proxies.

had the cord cut but my roomate went and got cable so now i'm less illegal in my everyday life.
Go on.... I'm not a cyber whiz. What are proxies and what's the advantage?

Me and all cable/satallite companies went our separate ways.

It was for the best.

Quote:There aren't a la carte services for ABC?

It can be complicated. I think you can subscribe to the CBS app for like $8/month or you can do Sling for $20 but I'm not sure if all games are available in strictly one app. So it gets a bit annoying.

Sports is the only real hang up for me. I just watch way less sports now, other than NFL.

NHL seems to have a decent app, and I'm 91% sure PGA has its own app too although I've never checked it out.

Quote:Call customer retention and tell them you're done. Then watch the magic happen. We actually got that advice from a DirecTV service rep we had out for an equipment problem. He suggested doing this and after being with DTV for 15 years, we finally got a real break.

Will definitely do this. Thanks.

Seems like being able to truly cut the cord for a sports nut is still a bit away without risking jail time. 

Had to cut the cord last year.  Got a digital antenna for the handful of local stations, Netflix, and the occasional sketchy European website for everything else.  

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM by Bchbunnie4.)

Quote:Go on.... I'm not a cyber whiz. What are proxies and what's the advantage?

Some things are better shared in a pm...
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine