Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson likely hitting open market

Quote:Does the "per year" salary matter? It's all about the guaranteed money.

We're using it for simplicity sake, assuming normal bonuses and numbers.  Obviously I would love to sign Malik Jackson to a 5 year 100 million dollar contract that is front loaded and has 0 signing bonus.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM by HolsterHusto.)

Quote:My argument is two-fold:

1.) Absolutely he does not deserve $15-18M per year.  He doesn't deserve the $10-11 million I feel should be his actual market value.

2.) We don't have any urgent need for a player in his role to be paying that kind of money.

Consider this:

Only 3 pass rushers in the entire NFL even make more than $11 million dollars per year entering free agency.  Three.  And you want to pay him like JJ Watt, Justin Houston, and Robert Quinn.  No.  Just no.

Over 11M a year...

JJ Watt

Mario Williams

Robert Quinn

Charles Johnson

Calais Campbell

Ndamukong Suh

Marcell Dareus

Gerald McCoy

Justin Houston

Ryan Kerrigan

Clay Matthews

and soon...

Von Miller

Olivier Vernon

Muhammad Wilkerson

Malik Jackson

Quote:Come on man, pass rushers are at a premium, especially young pass rushers as they never make it to FA. The salary cap is up, and multiple teams are flushed with cap space. You answer the question.

He's not a pass rusher.  He offers good pass rush, but he's not a pass rusher.  Go spend $14 million plus on an actually 10+ sack guy, not some 1 year starter, 5 sack guy that plays a position we are already fine at.

Quote:Not wrong at all.  Go look it up.  I did.  I omitted contracts like Mario Williams who will be cut, but its absolutely true.

So did I.

HH posted the contracts already.

You're wrong.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 03:34 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:He's not a pass rusher.  He offers good pass rush, but he's not a pass rusher.  Go spend $14 million plus on an actually 10+ sack guy, not some 1 year starter, 5 sack guy that plays a position we are already fine at.

This is where we disagree, and because of it I'm not sure if this argument is worth debating anymore. I define a "pass rusher" as a guy that effects the pass game, Malik Jackson effects the pass game.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Quote:Over 3M a year...

JJ Watt

Mario Williams

Robert Quinn

Charles Johnson

Calais Campbell

Ndamukong Suh

Marcell Dareus

Gerald McCoy

Justin Houston

Ryan Kerrigan

Clay Matthews

and soon...

Von Miller

Olivier Vernon

Muhammad Wilkerson

Malik Jackson

I have no idea what you are even talking about with the over 3m a year thing.

Out of that list, the only players who make more than $11 million per year are JJ Watt, Justin Houston, and Robert Quinn.  You could add Suh, Dareus, and McCoy to that list if you really want to label them as pass rushers.  Charles Johnson and Chris Long were on that list, but no longer... And Mario Williams will be off of it soon.  Like I said, 3 pass rushers in the NFL make more than $11 million per year.

Edit: I missed Matthews as he rushes from ILB, but you can add him to the list too.  Kerrigan makes $11.5 so you can add him too I guess.

Quote:I have no idea what you are even talking about with the over 3m a year thing.

Out of that list, the only players who make more than $11 million per year are JJ Watt, Justin Houston, and Robert Quinn.  You could add Suh, Dareus, and McCoy to that list if you really want to label them as pass rushers.  Charles Johnson and Chris Long were on that list, but no longer... And Mario Williams will be off of it soon.  Like I said, 3 pass rushers in the NFL make more than $11 million per year.

Typo, meant 11M.

And Watt, Houston, Quinn, Campbell, Williams (will probably get over 11M this FA), Kerrigan, and Matthews are all pass rushers.

Quote:Typo, meant 11M.

And Watt, Houston, Quinn, Campbell, Williams (will probably get over 11M this FA), Kerrigan, and Matthews are all pass rushers.

Campbell makes right at $11 million, not over.  

Quote:Typo, meant 11M.

Don't forget Cam Jordan. There's a ton of them.

Quote:Don't forget Cam Jordan. There's a ton of them.

Again, makes $11 million, not over.

Quote:Again, makes $11 million, not over.

Lol ok man, sure.

You're still wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.

Quote:Don't forget Cam Jordan. There's a ton of them.

Thats why he prefaced it withover 11 million lol. He gotta prove that point lol

Way off by 2.  Five players.  One of the ones I missed is an ILB and the other makes $11.5.  Not exactly way off.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 03:47 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Way off by 2. Five players. One of the ones I missed is an ILB and the other makes $11.5. Not exactly way off.

Im just saying be prepared to see mid level guys get over 11 mil. It costs big money for a decent one. I wouldnt be suprised to see Von miller get like 125 mil or something crazy like that lol.

Quote:Thats why he prefaced it withover 11 million lol. He gotta prove that point lol

Considering the argument is that $14 million isn't overpaying for Jackson, I gave you guys $3 million in the argument.  I could preface it with $14 million.

Quote:Considering the argument is that $14 million isn't overpaying for Jackson, I gave you guys $3 million in the argument. I could preface it with $14 million.

This is the age we have come into. 3 years from now this contract will look like peanuts.

Quote:Google "inflation" and "salary cap increase".

Hope that helps!

Youre right. Lets re-sign cyprien for 35 million dollars a year. Inflation man.

Quote:Im just saying be prepared to see mid level guys get over 11 mil. It costs big money for a decent one. I wouldnt be suprised to see Von miller get like 125 mil or something crazy like that lol.

I could see Von Miller potentially getting $20 million.  What I can't see is Malik Jackson getting $14 million or the $15-18 like one other said.

Quote:Way off by 2.  Five players.  One of the ones I missed is an ILB and the other makes $11.5.  Not exactly way off.

Way off by two because you're arbitrarily deciding who is and isn't a pass rusher. All the dudes HH listed rush the passer when he drops back to pass as a primary responsibility. Everyone but you concedes this.

Also $11.5 mil is close when it works your way but $11 mil can't count because it's a dollar off?

Quote:Considering the argument is that $14 million isn't overpaying for Jackson, I gave you guys $3 million in the argument. I could preface it with $14 million.

And again im not sure most here are saying it isnt over payment. I know the arguement im making is that it doesnt hurt our team to pay that much due to our cap situation espcially if that means acquiring a quality player.