Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson likely hitting open market

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26201...est-market

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gonna command big dollars.

I assume he will be our number 1 target but Oakland and Chicago will be all over him too.

Caldwell, Bradley, and Julius will have to work some real magic to keep him from going to where his former coaches are.

Quote:Caldwell, Bradley, and Julius will have to work some real magic to keep him from going to where his former coaches are.

MA$IC

Quote: MA$IC

$AGIC (the money comes first)

Bring him in

Why do you guys all want another 5-tech?

Quote:Why do you guys all want another 5-tech?

Because he also plays 3T...

Quote:Because he also plays 3T...
Coming from someone who's seen plenty of Broncos games over the last couple of years, I don't see it. I just don't. Much like Julius Thomas is and was a product of Peyton Manning, Jackson has benefited greatly from having Derek Wolfe and Sly Williams, two of the best DLs you've never heard of, working the line with him. Not enough? How about DeMarcus Ware right behind him, keeping offensive attention focused up the field? Or Von Miller on the other side?

Long story short, Broncos' opponents shifted a lot of protection to the other side of the field to keep Miller and Wolfe tied up. Ware was more of a draw than Jackson. Malik Jackson is just another Julius Thomas--a guy who looks far better than he really is because he has the right players around him. Pass.

Quote:Coming from someone who's seen plenty of Broncos games over the last couple of years, I don't see it. I just don't. Much like Julius Thomas is and was a product of Peyton Manning, Jackson has benefited greatly from having Derek Wolfe and Sly Williams, two of the best DLs you've never heard of, working the line with him. Not enough? How about DeMarcus Ware right behind him, keeping offensive attention focused up the field? Or Von Miller on the other side?

Long story short, Broncos' opponents shifted a lot of protection to the other side of the field to keep Miller and Wolfe tied up. Ware was more of a draw than Jackson. Malik Jackson is just another Julius Thomas--a guy who looks far better than he really is because he has the right players around him. Pass.

We have to spend the money, or else the CBA rules kick in and the money is GONE.

How do you think we should spend the money to reach the minimum spending threshold?

And by the way, in my opinion Julius Thomas is a great player.

Would much rather go after Vernon, I know we can afford both but Jackson isn't worth the money he is asking. I just realized that we have Marks and DT is deep in this draft. Sign Vernon, FS, CB, and draft Bosa. Vernon, Bosa, Marks, Fowler.. is scary to me. Moving Fowler to OTTO on 3rd and putting in Ryan Davis or someone speedy would be crazy. 

Malik is 6'6 290 pounds, only 26 years old, and has the versatility to play both 3 and 5 techniques at a pro bowl level.  Today, in the rotation with Odrick and Marks, are Bennett and Alualu.  Jackson would be a significant and immediate upgrade to these guys.  You can never have enough of these talented big guys, and the ability to keep those big bodies fresh in a game is a pleasant luxury.  However, I would love to have him, as long as it does not mean that some of the higher needs in my opinion (FS, Leo, Otto, OL....) would not be addressed due to this potential high dollar signing.       

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 06:24 PM by nhiverson.)

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/2/26/11119930/jaguars-2016-salary-cap-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-free-agenc

"What is the 89 percent rule?

There is a belief that NFL teams must spend 89 percent of the salary cap to be in compliance with the new collective bargaining agreement.

That is both simultaneously correct and incorrect. The rule does not apply to a singular season for teams, but applies to an aggregate total over the course of four seasons.

Specifically through the course of 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. This means the team must hit the mark by the time the league rolls into the 2017 year, so March of 2017.

What happens if you don't hit the 89 percent mark?

<p class=""> 

<p class="">The penalty for not reaching the 89 percent spend requirement over the four-year cumulative period isn’t anything you should be worried about. A team will have to give the money they're short by to their own players (via NFLPA-determined distribution). This means there really isn't much of a penalty, other than your own players get somewhat of a bonus, for a lack of a better word. You do not incur fines, you do not lose draft picks. You just have to spend the required money in some manner as determined by the NFLPA.

<p class="">Basically, don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal."

No Fun

Quote:Coming from someone who's seen plenty of Broncos games over the last couple of years, I don't see it. I just don't. Much like Julius Thomas is and was a product of Peyton Manning, Jackson has benefited greatly from having Derek Wolfe and Sly Williams, two of the best DLs you've never heard of, working the line with him. Not enough? How about DeMarcus Ware right behind him, keeping offensive attention focused up the field? Or Von Miller on the other side?

You make sound like Julius came here and was some sort of dud. If Malik is the defensive version of Julius then sign me up. No one is expecting him to come here and be the savior. We see a young talented player who fits a need. You combine that with the youth we have and the other pieces that will be added and you got a solid foundation. Don't see what the issues is here.

But those guys didn't benefit from playing next to him? Why do you think Miller and Ware were able to win so many one on one match ups? Because the QB didn't have room to "step up" due to the pressure generated by Jackson and Wolfe. It's not like we have no players to put around Jackson. All parts of the defense have to work together, you can't say one specific part is more important than the other because if you take Jackson off the Broncos then that's one less player teams have to worry about and are able to scheme more against Miller or Ware. We have to add a bunch of players that can get pressure on the QB to create real disruption, Jackson can be an important piece in that. And I don't understand how you think he can't play 3T when he basically played it all the time on  passing 3rd downs in Denver.

Quote:Would much rather go after Vernon, I know we can afford both but Jackson isn't worth the money he is asking. I just realized that we have Marks and DT is deep in this draft. Sign Vernon, FS, CB, and draft Bosa. Vernon, Bosa, Marks, Fowler.. is scary to me. Moving Fowler to OTTO on 3rd and putting in Ryan Davis or someone speedy would be crazy. 
Why do you care how much of Khan's money is spent?

Quote:We have to spend the money, or else the CBA rules kick in and the money is GONE.

How do you think we should spend the money to reach the minimum spending threshold?

And by the way, in my opinion Julius Thomas is a great player.
Extend our own guys, grab a boatload of second-tier vets both as starters and as depth, and target some of the top-tier guys at positions we could use help at. Guys like Vernon, Trevathan (who's better than anyone else in the Broncos front seven aside from Miller, imo), Bruce Irvin, one of the Rams' corners, anyone top-tier who slides past the franchise tag. I know very well that we'll be lucky to get one name on that list, maybe two if all the stars align perfectly, but I don't see the logic in throwing huge sums of money at guys who, frankly, aren't very good when you can use that same money to pay your own players and get guys who are good.

ESPN and BR reporting Miller and the Broncos won't reach agreement on long term deal before franchise tag deadline and Jackson (and Osweiler) will hit free agency.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/2/26/11119930/jaguars-2016-salary-cap-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-free-agency'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/2/26/11119930/jaguars-2016-salary-cap-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-free-agenc</a>

"What is the 89 percent rule?

There is a belief that NFL teams must spend 89 percent of the salary cap to be in compliance with the new collective bargaining agreement.

That is both simultaneously correct and incorrect. The rule does not apply to a singular season for teams, but applies to an aggregate total over the course of four seasons.

Specifically through the course of 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. This means the team must hit the mark by the time the league rolls into the 2017 year, so March of 2017.

What happens if you don't hit the 89 percent mark?

The penalty for not reaching the 89 percent spend requirement over the four-year cumulative period isn’t anything you should be worried about. A team will have to give the money they're short by to their own players (via NFLPA-determined distribution). This means there really isn't much of a penalty, other than your own players get somewhat of a bonus, for a lack of a better word. You do not incur fines, you do not lose draft picks. You just have to spend the required money in some manner as determined by the NFLPA.

Basically, don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal."

It's not that big of a deal?

They take the money that you are short and hand it to the players that are already on your roster. The money is gone. Wasted. Not spent on talent acquisition. Just handed out to the current players you already have. Wasted. Gone.

That is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.