Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL 2015 MLB Season Thread***

Yeah, it is brilliant. The pitcher has the same skill level as a hitter as a punter would playing CB or WR or any other position. Why should he be a special player that only does one thing? If he is part of the roster, he should be forced to play a position just like a pitcher would have to bat.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, it is brilliant. The pitcher has the same skill level as a hitter as a punter would playing CB or WR or any other position. Why should he be a special player that only does one thing? If he is part of the roster, he should be forced to play a position just like a pitcher would have to bat.

So the punter plays the entire game on defense? Offense? Which one?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:By the way....

Let the Kris Bryant era begin.

Let's see if drafting him early (especially in my money league) pays off.

I am interested to see how he does. A lot of attention on him.

;

;

Quote:I am interested to see how he does. A lot of attention on him.

I'm thinking some pretty hefty power numbers but wouldn't be surprised if he was only .250ish this year anyway. He just looks like a natural hitter.

We'll see.

Quote:I agree that it's ridiculous the two leagues have a different set of rules. I would prefer to see the NL adopt the DH, though. Too many pitchers are useless at the plate and don't even take their at-bats seriously.

I can't stand how the pitcher's spot in the batting order is almost an automatic out. If you have guys on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs and the #8 batter up, you don't have to give him a fastball because the pitcher is going to (likely) be an easy out to end any potential rally. There's hardly any risk at all in loading the bases up because most pitchers are useless at the plate (especially with 2 outs).

Quoted because anti-DH guys are way oversimplyfing things.

You guys act like every single person who supports the DH is casual fan who like shiny things. You're wrong. I like rules that make the overall product of the game better and keeping pitchers out of the batters box does that, in my opinion. Like TheSchmidt said, pitchers should be focusing 95% of their time between starts on preparing for their next start.

Quote:Yeah, it is brilliant. The pitcher has the same skill level as a hitter as a punter would playing CB or WR or any other position. Why should he be a special player that only does one thing? If he is part of the roster, he should be forced to play a position just like a pitcher would have to bat.
Pitchers come up through high school and are pretty good hitters, some excellent. There's a gap somewhere in HS where most pitchers are shut down from hitting. Since little league they played both the field and were successful hitters.

Punters/Kickers aren't the same, the analogy is terrible.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 01:25 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Quoted because anti-DH guys are way oversimplyfing things.

You guys act like every single person who supports the DH is casual fan who like shiny things. You're wrong. I like rules that make the overall product of the game better and keeping pitchers out of the batters box does that, in my opinion. Like TheSchmidt said, pitchers should be focusing 95% of their time between starts on preparing for their next start.
Oversimplifying it? That's the only way this can be looked at. It's a pretty simple thing. The majority of baseball purists disagree with the DH. Know who loves it? The Union. It allows older guys who can't field anymore to play more. Gotta love that. Washed up player, but he can still bat. Or a young kid who can field at all, can still bat. That isn't baseball.

In the fairness of equality though. MLB needs to stick with one rule, either/or I'd be ok with. At the very least, stop inter-league play until things are fair. One thing I hear baseball fanatics always say is how cerebral of a game that baseball is. The DH squashes that notion by taking out a pretty big chunk of the brain out of it. The DH is an excuse to be one dimensional.

;

OK. Fine. If you are going to make the pitcher bat, then why not make him know how to hit. What do you gain by having a complete liability in the lineup?

Quote:Oversimplifying it? That's the only way this can be looked at. It's a pretty simple thing. The majority of baseball purists disagree with the DH. Know who loves it? The Union. It allows older guys who can't field anymore to play more. Gotta love that. Washed up player, but he can still bat. Or a young kid who can field at all, can still bat. That isn't baseball.

In the fairness of equality though. MLB needs to stick with one rule, either/or I'd be ok with. At the very least, stop inter-league play until things are fair. One thing I hear baseball fanatics always say is how cerebral of a game that baseball is. The DH squashes that notion by taking out a pretty big chunk of the brain out of it. The DH is an excuse to be one dimensional.

The majority of baseball "purists also hate innovations like Instant Replay and sabermetrics, but that doesn't make them bade things.

Quote:The majority of baseball "purists also hate innovations like Instant Replay and sabermetrics, but that doesn't make them bade things.
I think you could agree with me that the DH and instant reply/sabermetrics are completely different things.

;

The strategy thing with having a pitcher bat is so overrated. A double switch is hardly brain buster.

Id be all for taking a spot out of the lineup and just having 8 in an order. But that's never going to happen.

Quote:I think you could agree with me that the DH and instant reply/sabermetrics are completely different things.

You're the one that acted like the opinion of your average "baseball purist" was without flaws. Just because "baseball purists" might not support the DH, instant replay, or whatever else does not mean that the innovations are bad for the game.

Quote:The strategy thing with having a pitcher bat is so overrated. A double switch is hardly brain buster.

Id be all for taking a spot out of the lineup and just having 8 in an order. But that's never going to happen.

I've been wanting to say this, but didn't want to come off as too much of a baseball snob. The "strategy" for managing pitcher at-bats is pretty rinse, wash, repeat.

Quote:The strategy thing with having a pitcher bat is so overrated. A double switch is hardly brain buster.

Quote:I've been wanting to say this, but didn't want to come off as too much of a baseball snob. The "strategy" for managing pitcher at-bats is pretty rinse, wash, repeat.
No one is claiming it's rocket science. But there's definitely more strategy involved with it there then without it. It's certainly more interesting then the one dimensional DH. 

;

Quote:You're the one that acted like the opinion of your average "baseball purist" was without flaws. Just because "baseball purists" might not support the DH, instant replay, or whatever else does not mean that the innovations are bad for the game.
I never inferred that your average baseball purist was without flaws. You created that notion somehow. A pitcher hitting, and a DH is a far cry from stats and instant replay, no?

;

Raise the Jolly Roger boys!!!
;

Quote:Raise the Jolly Roger boys!!!

That division is prime for the taking.

Quote:No one is claiming it's rocket science. But there's definitely more strategy involved with it there then without it. It's certainly more interesting then the one dimensional DH. 

That's also far from the only strategy involved with having the pitcher bat.

Quote:That's also far from the only strategy involved with having the pitcher bat.
Absolutely.

;

How about Bartolo "Big Sexy" Colon huh?!? He does it all! He pitches, he's 3-0, he sac flies to score a big run! Also made a big defensive play off the mound to get an out.

Mets fans have to be happy. 6 straight and atop the division.

;