Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should Jaguars Cut TE Thomas

"earned"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Thomas isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

He earned a 3 million dollar roster bonus today.  They'd have cut him prior to that if they were moving on. 
3 mil of his base was guaranteed today.

I think he'll be around for one more season. If he doesn't pan out, they'll cut him before paying him any more of the remaining contract.

And I think that'll leave them with little to no dead cap space.

I mean I get the guy has underperformed. But unless we draft a guy that turns out to be Gronk.. I don't think we have a better move TE rostered. I don't think there is a bunch of other FA targets that would be better.

Quote:3 mil of his base was guaranteed today.

I think he'll be around for one more season. If he doesn't pan out, they'll cut him before paying him any more of the remaining contract.

And I think that'll leave them with little to no dead cap space.

I mean I get the guy has underperformed. But unless we draft a guy that turns out to be Gronk.. I don't think we have a better move TE rostered. I don't think there is a bunch of other FA targets that would be better.

Thomas suffered through a lot of inaccurate short passes from Blake Bortles in 2016. 

I think Marrone and Hackett will try to improve on both negative aspects of that ^ statement. 

Quote:Thomas isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

He earned a 3 million dollar roster bonus today.  They'd have cut him prior to that if they were moving on. 
As I posted in the previous page, no he wasn't supposed to get bonus or guaranteed money today. 

Taken from Jaguars.com (today but Ryan O' posted it yesterday):

"Thomas, who signed as an unrestricted free agent in 2015, has $3 million in guarantees due at the start of the league year, so the team likely will decide on his future before then."

I also don't think he will be cut and it's worth keeping at this point, but just pointing out that if they wanted to cut him they'd have time till 9th March to avoid losing those 3M Wink

Quote:As I posted in the previous page, no he wasn't supposed to get bonus or guaranteed money today. 

Taken from Jaguars.com (today but Ryan O' posted it yesterday):

"Thomas, who signed as an unrestricted free agent in 2015, has $3 million in guarantees due at the start of the league year, so the team likely will decide on his future before then."

I also don't think he will be cut and it's worth keeping at this point, but just pointing out that if they wanted to cut him they'd have time till 9th March to avoid losing those 3M Wink
Thanks for the correction.

The original signing of him was exciting, but he failed to live up to expectations. I think injuries got the best of him, in addition to having Bortles as his QB and some lousy coaching. Watched some video of him today of his Bronco days...he has lost some speed and quickness.

I think a combo of bad reads and poor placement has made him perform poorly. I'd like to see him in the Nathaniel Hackett led offense

Nothing here to see. Thomas ain't getting cut. He's a 10 TD guy with the right system.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM by irontrooper83.)

Quote:Thanks for the correction.
You are welcome, but after I posted that Mike Kaye posted this:

Mike Kaye ‏@mike_e_kaye  15h15 hours ago
<div>
<div>
<div>More
</div>
</div>
</div>

<p style="font-size:26px;">Per mult. sources, Julius Thomas's $3M guarantee kicks in on "5th day following the commencement of 2017 NFL waiver system," that's today.

Interesting that after Kaye tweeted this Ryan O'Halloran said it's after first league day again. (same as jaguars.com) I guess we'll find out what happens, but as I said I'd keep him.

As much as Thomas underperformed last season, I think they have to keep him at least one more season. The team will need to upgrade several positions including offensive line, pass rush, safety and running back. That doesn't even include finding a better backup quarterback. Also, you know if they let him loose he'll score 12 t.d.'s next season and make the pro bowl!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 08:14 PM by ATLjag.)

A few days and listening to Lageman has changed my mind.  Let him go, as there is no degradation in play at the position when Lewis, Koyack, or Sterling are in the game instead of Thomas.  Although there is no shortage of cap room, he is due a $7m base salary (cash flow) that can be used to sign a more impactful player in free agency, or be used to extend the contract of a deserving player on the roster (ie. Robinson, Linder, Lee...).

I'm interested in verifying that we did pay him that $3 mil bonus. If we did, he's staying put.

'02

Quote:I think a combo of bad reads and poor placement has made him perform poorly. I'd like to see him in the Nathaniel Hackett led offense

I think it was the combination of Pizza Hut and Hagendaas that did him in.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...us-thomas/

According to this Thomas has been paid his 3 mil and will be on the jags next season

Quote: 

... he's the still the best TE on the roster. 

If his lackadaisical trotting through his routes during Blake's flameout didn't totally enrage Marrone beyond any chance of forgiveness, then he'll be in camp and he'll probably earn his starting spot again. 

And no, he doesn't need Manning to be good.  But he needs more than Blake gave him in 2016. 

Like I said three weeks ago ^

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...us-thomas/

According to this Thomas has been paid his 3 mil and will be on the jags next season

Good. Thomas is a huge threat when he's actually being utilized in the passing game.

'02

Quote:Although there is no shortage of cap room, he is due a $7m base salary (cash flow) that can be used to sign a more impactful player in free agency, or be used to extend the contract of a deserving player on the roster (ie. Robinson, Linder, Lee...).
I'm so tired of this stupid argument. We have $62 million in cap space, we could extend all three of those players, get an impact player in FA and still have one of the best cap situations in the league. A player's contract should never be a concern for this team when deciding to keep or cut a player. 

Quote:I'm so tired of this stupid argument. We have $62 million in cap space, we could extend all three of those players, get an impact player in FA and still have one of the best cap situations in the league. A player's contract should never be a concern for this team when deciding to keep or cut a player.

Agreed!!

Quote:Good. Thomas is a huge threat when he's actually being utilized in the passing game.

Agreed. Thomas can be a legitimate threat, especially in the redzone if utilized correctly.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

The thing with him is if he's being used he has to be all the time. Either as a TE running routes or as an extra receiver. Best if prioritised. With three receivers that we want to get the ball to, he'll be just like Greene this year...somewhat of ash afterthought....especially at that price. So guy like Butt in the late rounds due to injury would be a steal